Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: whistler
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 09:53 PM
whistler

Whistler,

I'm having trouble identifying this fish. Could you help me?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 09:56 PM

After you've figured out the fish, perhaps you can tell me where this guy was caught. It takes a 1 1/2 ride from the hotel to get to this spot.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 04:30 AM

Bahamas? Used to guide for those in the Keys, "A Skinny Water Mullet"?

Gonna see if I can get Whistler to whip the water to a froth this fall with his wonder rod......................

Capt. George
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

eureka.gif posted on 5-30-2005 at 06:28 AM
I know

Joe,I read your trip report......And believe it or not,I caught two of these guys,7" or 8" long at La Gringa a number of years back,coudn,t believe my eye,s.
BAITCAST
PS........I can just hear the chuckles out there
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:29 AM

Looks beautiful!! I've heard there are bones in Mag bay, one of these days I'll bring my 7 wt down there and check it out.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Joe,I read your trip report......And believe it or not,I caught two of these guys,7" or 8" long at La Gringa a number of years back,coudn,t believe my eye,s.
BAITCAST

BAITCAST,

I've read about their occurence in baja. They say you can get them at BOLA and Laguna Manuela. I've never been to La Gringa - had to look it up on the map. I wonder if it has those nice shallow flats that are so much fun to fish.

skipjack
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:20 AM
La Gringa

Joe La Gringa is at the north end of BOLA,a nice place to camp,sandy beach,shallow,flat,no chop........what a lot of people don,t know is halibut move in there on a high tide,first light and late evening same for a few corvina.
BAITCAST
PS.......Joe I will be u2uing you ,have a big problem.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:04 PM

Whistler,

I think it will be basket weaving, ciau (have to learn how to spell chow).

gotta go buff up my "docksiders".....george
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
BAITCAST

"chuckle, chuckle" Dem Bones again!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 11:11 AM
whistler

Another image I came across last night that may refresh your memory about a place you've been to recently.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 11:28 AM
church

More stuff from our favorite location.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 11:38 AM

One more. Let's see if it makes it under the 50KB limit. It did. I liked those 3 palms on the right and I worked on a composition to include them.

[Edited on 10-19-2005 by Skipjack Joe]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 12:16 PM

I'm lurking on your conversation boyz... and wanted to say that those photos are beautiful, Skipjack. The 3 palms looks like a postcard. In which country were they taken?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
I'm lurking on your conversation boyz... and wanted to say that those photos are beautiful, Skipjack. The 3 palms looks like a postcard. In which country were they taken?

Kiribati. But southern Mexico looks like that also. Those picture could be from the Yucatan and you would never know the difference (except for the church). No Catolicos in Kiribati.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:14 PM
Leo

You know Leo? I thought you're an S. Cal guy. Leo should be a pretty good bonefisherman by now. He's been doing those trips about a dozen years.

It makes sense that they're using a smaller plane. The one we used was mostly empty. And perhaps it could lower the price of the ticket. $600 each way from Honolulu was quite expensive. I bet it's higher now. About 1/2 of the total cost of those 1 week packages went into that flight.

I thought you'd get a kick seeing one of those little trucks we used to get to the flats.

You're also right about the absence of birds in Mexico. At Kiribati I would come up to frigate birds and could virtually pet them. I remember one of those tropic birds with the long white tails. I almost accidentally stepped on one as it sat on the ground. Amazing birding there for those that like that sort of thing. But my eyes were always scanning for bones!

[Edited on 10-20-2005 by Skipjack Joe]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Yeah,I am a southern California guy.I known Leo quite awhile and his partner Doug.I was introduced to Leo by his good friend who lives down here now.He came down here to fish bonito in Redondo harbor.Since then I fished with Leo at

Some of the best Bonito fishing I ever had was from a berth at the Portofino Docks at King Harbor.

Tossing out a feather after working in bilges all day was a treat.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:56 PM

Glenn,

Any chance you'll be driving to San Jose and happen to pass through Morro Bay???

P>*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 09:23 PM

Whistler,

The birds were magnificent frigatebirds. The males had the red pouch.

My first trip to Kiribati was in a rainstorm. It rained for 3 days out of the 7. I was wet all day riding in those dang trucks. But the rain in the tropics is warm and I never caught a cold. Sitting in wet clothes all day was a bit of a drag, though. Your butt starts to itch real bad as I recall. All in all, I liked the rain and remember it with pleasure. Spotting bonefish was difficult, however, as the clouds make it impossible to see through the water.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.