BajaNomad

best boat for bola

bowser - 10-9-2005 at 09:59 AM

I'd sure like to hear what you all think would be the best boat for my needs in bola.

We will be spending more and more time there during the coming years. We are leasing land on the water and will have a garage to leave the boat in - someday a house.

I want to get a boat that's as small and light as possible yet big enough to be safe We would probably never take it out past the islands but would use it to explore and fish within the bay. I'd also like to be able to launch it on our beach with either a 4X4 or an ATV.

And - what size motor?

The final criteria of course is cost. We'll probably buy used and want the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance. I know there is a wealth of good information on line here.

Anonymous - 10-9-2005 at 10:07 AM

You would best ask that question on this site: It's geared more for boaters and fishermen...just post the same question and you will get lots of expert advice. Good luck.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=sho...

Anonymous - 10-9-2005 at 10:15 AM

I think a 12 to 16 foot aluminum boat on a tiltable trailer would serve that purpose well. Engine size from 15 to 40 should be adequate. Check boatraderonline.com...they have tons of boats for sale.

Anonymous - 10-9-2005 at 04:30 PM

I favor a 13-14 foot inflatable with a 30 hp - easy launch off the beach no car involved!

comitan - 10-9-2005 at 05:17 PM

The biggest boat you can afford and beach launch.

Diver - 10-9-2005 at 06:09 PM

Depends what you want to use it for......
In an inflatable get a 12' with a 15 hp
In an aluminum boat get a 12 - 14' with a 15 or 25 hp
Or get a 16' alum with console and a 50 hp to go off shore
All these will load with a quad and you can put fat tires on your trailer if it stays on the beach.

If you get a nice boat, let us know EXACTLY where you are storing it and we will be happy to go... um... check on it for you from time to time ! :lol:

bahiamia - 10-9-2005 at 07:53 PM

You will have to take into consideration the conditions here... there are local winds and waves around nearly every point and they vary with tides and weather.

I have boated in these waters for many years with my Husband at the helm and he taught me much. A true German Sailor who knew the rules from navigation on up...we had only a pull start motor in back, and an anchor up front on our 22' panga...that's it..no battery, radio or anything like that. We carried spare parts, tools, and the knowledge to fix/handle whatever came at us.

I've been out in the nasty stuff, in the calm stuff and everything in between. Our panga was built in La Paz with hand laid fiberglass...no chopper guns.

Paulina - 10-9-2005 at 08:55 PM

Mia's right, stick with what's simple, what the locals use. Something that you can beach launch, pull start, no flashing gadgets that can't be easily repaired. Your boat is only as safe as your own abilities on the water.

We have a 22ft. La Paz panga, with a 65 hp pullstart commercial Evinrude that's perfect for Bahia. We launch it in front of our trailers south of town on the beach. When retrieving we use metal ramps that we found in the desert that help with traction.

We found that simplier is easier and better. It's light weight, long, sturdy, fast, easy to launch and retrieve. Less things to fix and work on the better. Should your motor take a sh*t, row into the closest cove and radio town for help. no biggie.

We've had everything in Bahia from a Zodiak inflatable to a 30ft. Grady White and in between. Our panga surpasses them all.

It all comes down to your personal needs and abilities.
Have fun, and where is your lot located?

Saludos,
Paulina y Dern

aha baja - 10-10-2005 at 12:59 AM

i dunno , maybe a bosten wailer with plentee uf beers:lol::lol::lol :

Paulina - 10-10-2005 at 07:39 AM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:
Big score on the scrabble board!

aha baja - 10-10-2005 at 08:29 AM

HY FYVE!!!!!

aha baja - 10-10-2005 at 08:30 AM

or is it phyve for a triple word score:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

Panga might be the best

Hook - 10-10-2005 at 12:36 PM

It is the picture of simplicity and has enough of a deadrise to cut through the frequent chop in that area.

In any event, something with a deadrise of at least 18 degrees (at the transom) IMO. While I love the Whaler Montauk design for the size, you will pound aplenty in that area.

Are you down by La Mona or up towards La Gringa?

[Edited on 10-10-2005 by Hook]

Paulina's Panga is perfect-----imho

Barry A. - 10-10-2005 at 01:14 PM

I would consider no other.

bowser - 10-10-2005 at 01:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great info so far.

To those who asked we are north of Dagett's and south of La Gringa.

It seems the answer to "best boat for bola?" is "Paulina's panga is perfect".

Now I want to ask where I can get a panga like Paulina's and how much it will cost. I'm not to sure about the alliteration, however. How about "we want one"?

Seriously, are they only made in La Paz? Does anyone know of a used one for sale?

comitan - 10-10-2005 at 02:48 PM

There is a panga in the for sale section, Diaz.

Pangas...

bahiamia - 10-10-2005 at 03:42 PM

Just another thought regarding pangas. They are built a certain way, and in a certain design, and which many choose to alter. Seems like a double floor as would be needed to put center consoles in and the like defeats that design and purpose. One great thing about a panga without a double floor is that your feet are below the water line, which makes balancing yourself much easier when fishing. It's more practical all the way around. But You can always integrate floatation chambers into the bow and stern areas. We also had a 22ft. Panga made in La Paz. 55 HP pull-start Suzuki, and no kicker. That way, you take better care of your motor! Always a spare prop and impeller on board, tools, flares, water, etc.

Anonymous - 10-10-2005 at 03:55 PM

Pangas are sturdy, but can be heavy to move and launch in soft sand. Just a thought, you can also look at one of these. Possibly more what you had in mind. Cheap, economical to operate, and easier to sell later in USA.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/3/81147863.htm

comitan - 10-10-2005 at 04:06 PM

For beach launching I think the smokercraft would be ideal, It has high gunnels for its size and would handle rough water well, I think as good on the back as a Panga(I'm not a Panga Lover)

Barry A. - 10-10-2005 at 04:48 PM

Comitan------Why do you not like Pangas?

comitan - 10-10-2005 at 05:06 PM

Just 2 weeks ago fishing in Panga, when returning it got rough very hard on back, and kidneys. A couple of years ago riding in Panga with Mexican driving putting me toward the front, thought I would die had to move to the back, he didn:t like it. Also when it get rough you get wet.

Anonymous - 10-10-2005 at 05:17 PM

This is just our opinion on a good inexpensive boat for Baja. I am sure others will disagree, so you must use your own good judgement and pick a boat YOU like.

Almost every Panga, especially the transoms, will get spongy and absorb water through capillary action. Look at them when they come in...and ask yourself why they all carry a bailing can in the back. They are not made nearly as well as they could be...aluminum will serve you many years while requiring less repair, upkeep, paints, transom rebuild, etc, etc, etc......and you can take it with more easily on Baja camping trips to other water areas like Mag Bay...where we camp and use ours.

Markitos21 - 10-10-2005 at 07:18 PM

I'v got a great boat for baja and it's for sale cheeeep! 12 foot Achiles inflatable. streering wheel hard bottom motor controls and it can carry a 25 hp out board! deflate it stick it in your truck and off ya go!! It even comes with some patchs!! :biggrin:

Markitos-----

Barry A. - 10-10-2005 at 07:28 PM

Personally, I am a Gregor "tin boat" person, myself, but mainly because I can put it on top of my camper and go anywhere without tearing up a trailer (and boat) on the rough roads. For use by a resident, I still think that a well-made Panga is the way to go, tho. I was not aware that a Panga will beat you up the way Comitan describes, but I am sure he has a lot more experience than I.

I love my Gregor, but for the reasons I have described. It can be pretty rough on your back in heavy water too, but it always brings you home if you take care.

4baja - 10-10-2005 at 07:47 PM

it takes alot of time in the baja to figure the right boat, quad and vehicle to accomdate you. ive had two 14 foot aluminums and after fishing for days my back was killing me, allso try swimming or snorkaling from a small aluminum. pangas are great if you launching from a trailer but try launching from the beach by yourself. it would take three of us to launch our buddys panga from punta gorda and that was useing rubber rollers. pick a boat that you can launch with one person but is big enough to enjoy fishing from but small enough to handle and remember that fiberglass is easy to repair compared to aluminum,. i run a small whaler(17 foot) and my buddy runs a thunderbird(21 foot) and we run all over the islands down there with no problem. maybe some day ah ha baja somebody may invite you on there whaler with beers in hand and you will understand what a nice boat they really are but then again the world could end tomorrow. my vote is a fiberglass boat with a walk around cuddy, 18 to 21 foot with a mild vee. maybe next year:bounce::coolup:

4baja - 10-10-2005 at 07:48 PM

again

4baja - 10-10-2005 at 07:49 PM

again

4baja - 10-10-2005 at 07:49 PM

again

FrankO - 10-10-2005 at 07:56 PM

That last one looks like the day we were killing it about 200' on the jurel.
I'd give my left, uh, well, I'd give a lot for this boat:
http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_detail.jsp?boatid=10

[Edited on 10-11-2005 by FrankO]

4baja--------

Barry A. - 10-10-2005 at 07:58 PM

I also own a Whaler, but I find that they are just to heavy for my taste------hard to launch over a beach----and they certainly will not fit on top of my camper. I leave my Whaler at home, now. Besides, it is just to beautiful to expose to the rigors of Baja. (-:

I have punched holes in my Gregor aluminum a couple of times (on rocks) and just use some "contact cement" and neoprene for temp. repairs (which works just fine), and then have it welded (helearc) up when I get home. Most of the time, the alum. just bends or dents when you hit something hard. Then you can pound it out with the proper tools. As Neil Kelly says in the "Baja Catch", all you need is a 14" tin boat for most fishing in the Sea of Cortez.

4baja - 10-10-2005 at 08:05 PM

i think it was franko, will call you tomorrow. barry ,i agree with you about getting the boat around but after fishing for hours on a aluminum im done for the trip. to each there own. we should get our whalers together for a longfin trip sometime down here in morro bay:bounce::coolup:.

David A. - 10-11-2005 at 05:32 AM

I don't have much of a problem running all day in my aluminum boat. In fact, Next week I might run around and burn a few gallons of gas and see how sore I can get:spingrin:.

4baja - 10-11-2005 at 06:19 AM

dave your boat is awesome and rides different then a 14 footer. you guys are going to have a great time.:bounce::bounce::coolup:

Markitos21 - 10-11-2005 at 07:49 AM

Barry , I agree I'd rather have a ponga or a boat like yours. I'm just trying to clean out my garage. I realy cant get over how far the local fishermen take those pongas out. Even on the pacific side. Those guys are a breed unto them selfs.

Marinero - 10-11-2005 at 02:48 PM

My wife made me ask. Is a Panga "pottie adaptable"?

Anonymous - 10-11-2005 at 03:45 PM

If you can fit a 5 gallon bucket into that panga, it's pottie adaptble. I would opt for the padded seat..re: the wife's comfort.

Paulina - 10-11-2005 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
it takes alot of time in the baja to figure the right boat, quad and vehicle to accomdate you. pangas are great if you launching from a trailer but try launching from the beach by yourself. it would take three of us to launch our buddys panga from punta gorda and that was useing rubber rollers. pick a boat that you can launch with one person

Steve, We launch our panga from the beach EVERY TIME, both in Bahia and in Punta Banda. It does take two of us. No one would want to, or should have to launch OR retrieve a boat single handedly unless in case of emergency. So, picking at boat that one can launch with one person isn't practical, specially if said boat is going to be worthy of the Sea of Cortez. Would you want to be out in a boat that small?

I agree it would be difficult to launch one's boat without a trailer, as you would have to drag it on the sand all the way to the water. Couldn't do that with very many boats, a Whaler or a panga. Having rollers on our Easy Loader trailer makes it very simple to back the trailer down the beach, push the panga off in 3 inches of water without the trailer tires even having to touch water, spin the panga around, row it out, pull start the motor and we're off.

Regarding launching on the beach by yourself, It would make sense to have one person at the water's edge to manage the boat while the other retieves the truck and trailer.

About your comment regarding Punta Gorda, a single person such as Gene physically can't launch his panga in Zacatitos by himself. It's a steep, sand beach, there's always someone to give a hand pushing into the water. How many people would it take to push your whaler across the sand until it floats?

How far would a Whaler travel running up on the beach La Playita style compaired to a panga? Not far. But if we had to do as you suggest and handle it alone, it would make sense to run up the beach, then go get the truck, back down, hook up and be done. We could do that with a panga.

To each their own, but after years of boating experience in THE baja, I'm sure you've learned never, ever to anchor a boat close to shore at La Gringa in Feb. winds...

Saludos!!Mabye next year you can go for a ride on our panga and see what it's all about.
Not dissing your whaler, they're beautiful boats.
I've had three of them.

Love,
Paulina

Al G - 10-11-2005 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
How far would a Whaler travel running up on the beach La Playita style compaired to a panga? Not far. But if we had to do as you suggest and handle it alone, it would make sense to run up the beach, then go get the truck, back down, hook up and be done. We could do that with a panga.

Love,
Paulina

Dear Paulina,
I'm confused as to loading a panga after running onto a beach. I have watched the panga's land at Punta Lobo near Todo Santos.
These boats look very heavy. Wood?? How much does your boat weigh? Can you lift the front to start it on the trailer? Do you use a winch?
Does anyone run their tin boats onto the beach? Seems to me the beach would be the same as sandpaper and would wear out both boats. Launching in the mornings may not be that difficult, but loading seems to present lots of problems.(waves) Could you please describe landing and loading in windy surf? My desires for a boat has change to a 16-21 foot boat and this info will help me to decide.
Albert

4baja - 10-12-2005 at 06:59 AM

al, pangas are a heavy boat that is a fact, other then that they are a great boat. look around bola and see how many pangas are sitting on the beach and being used daily.0. they trailer them down and up daily. good luck on your choice of boats, next year it will be a 21 foot grady white for this guy.:coolup::bounce:

Paulina - 10-12-2005 at 08:15 AM

Albert,
I'm GUESSING that our Paceno Panga weighs 600 lbs, but don't quote me on it. If anyone knows the correct weight, chime in.

No, you can't lift up the nose to put it on a trailer if it's in the sand. The reason I said to bring the boat up on the sand is because you would have to do that to secure the boat while you got your trailer IF you were doing it all by yourself as Steve suggested one should be able to do.

There have been times when one of us has had to do just that in Bahia. Pull the boat up on the sand, back the trailer down beside the boat into the water, shove the boat back out and walk it up onto the trailer, secure it, then pull the trailer out of the water and back up the beach.

Back in the 80s, pangueros used to leave their boats out on the beach or on panga lines, but because of theft that is no longer done. Like Steve says, the pangas now are trailered home.

When we pull in with our boat in Bahia, one of us jumps off and holds the boat in shallow water while the other backs the trailer down the beach. We use the winch to grab on to the boat and crank her in.

In heavy weather, or waves it gets a bit tricky, but we have done it just the same. You just have to stand on the proper side of the panga to hold it securely. Should you have to do it alone, spin the boat around, put the nose into the wave/wind. Throw the anchor, back the boat up as close to the shore as you want with your anchor line. Tie it off, jump off, back the trailer down the beach, jump on the boat, pull the anchor line, and off you go onto the trailer. We also have side guards on the trailer to help that situation.

At Campo La Jolla in Punta Banda the beach is flat. We simply drive the boat down onto the beach, back the trailer to the waters edge and push the boat off.
Our trailer is an Easy Loader with roller wheels and the two cross members pivot. When retrieving, the bow of the boat is on the sand. We back the trailer up to the nose of the boat, centered as closely as possible, give the truck a little gas in reverse, up goes the nose and the boat ends up half way up the trailer. From there we hook it to the winch, crank it the rest of the way on, and home we go. It takes longer to go get the truck and bring it down to the beach than it does the whole process of putting the boat on the trailer.

Having the right trailer is an important factor. I wish I had photos of beach launching to post. I'll get some in Nov.

Saludos!
Paulina

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Paulina]

Is a cabin wrong?

Al G - 10-12-2005 at 10:20 AM

I am looking at a 21' tin Starcraft deep V with a front cabin and a 120 merc. 25 mph. About a 4-5" side to front with hand rail on top of cabin and 4' landing at bow.
Is this suitable? I'm not interested in sleeping, as much as fishing, but it might be nice. Would this style of boat hamper fishing? Launch or landing? It's older and cheap so until I figure out more it might be my best bet, but don't want to buy something useless??? I am good at restoring so age dosen't bother me.
Al G

comitan - 10-12-2005 at 10:26 AM

RIVITS

Rivits

Al G - 10-12-2005 at 10:46 AM

I was told it was welded are you sure starcraf is rivited?
if it is rivited can it be welded? In La paz?
Al

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Al G]

comitan - 10-12-2005 at 11:04 AM

Al

I'm sure it is riveted, and if its old you can be sure it leaks like a seave, that would be why they are selling it cheap. No it would not be a feasable thing to try do even here in La Paz, altho they can weld on aluminum boats. One thing you have to be very careful with welding aluminum boats is that the aluminum is tempered and when you weld it you take the temper out of it. This is fine for an emergency. When you take the temper out you have two dissimilar metals below the waterline area with pounding they will crack.

Woops

Al G - 10-12-2005 at 11:20 AM

Thanks Comitan, It's back to square one! You people are the best.

comitan - 10-12-2005 at 03:07 PM

Al

I went into Starcraft boats the 2005 is still riveted but they advertise double riveted. Also some reiforcment welding..

4baja - 10-12-2005 at 06:50 PM

pomano you are right on and thats what i tell friends, find a boat that feels good and you wil be stocked. otherwise a future with back problems can happen. you have a great boat from the pics that ive seen and you chose well. ive chosen the boat for next year and it will be in the 21 foot range. may come down to fish that area this xmas but surf on the pacific may draw me away.:coolup:

Santiago - 10-15-2005 at 07:32 AM

Pompono: critique on shore lunch:
1. flowers jambed in plastic cup instead of a propper vase.
2. 2 bottles of catsup????
3. voltive candle is too small - doesn't balance in the arraingement - it's also lit which means there's no way this is a shore lunch in Baja.
4. Deli potato salad? From a N Dakotan? someone's mother is turning.
5. Cheese wheel is probably overkill, don't you think?
6. It's so easy to find cute little salt/pepper grinders - why settle for the cardboard off-the-self varitety?
7. Never bring the oven-mit to the setting - use a small cloth draped over your hands and forearms.
8. Whatever's in the yellow tub behind the offending catsup, just leave it at home.
9. Rod holder is not a "Fish-on" but some cheap Canadian knock-off.

I can handle all of the above, but Coca Cola for a Baja shore lunch??? Have you no shame?????????

bowser - 10-25-2005 at 01:08 PM

Thanks again everyone. You gave us lots to think about. I thought I'd report back. We decided on a 15 foot Klamath with a 35 HP Mercury outboard. We got a good deal on it used and it should be a good starter boat. Someday perhaps a Panga like Pauline's!

Congrats

Hook - 10-25-2005 at 02:37 PM

Klamaths are good boats.

Now, dont forget to carry a sea anchor of some type in case the engine dies and the boat wants to drift with the stern into the waves. A five gallon bucket on a long rope will probably work on a light boat like that.

bajabum - 10-25-2005 at 02:50 PM

The all around best goanywhere inside lagaurdia, easy to launch/tow, fuel efficient, fishable,gonna beat ya up a little boat for anywhere in Baja is a 19 foot aluminium gregor/bayrunner type boat with a 50-70 HP motor. 15 ft klamath will do the job but you are gonna wish you had bought a little more boat after a few trips and you will be limited most of the time to fishing and exploring Smith and the other close to shore islas. The fish will be just out of reach for you alot of the time. I fished Baja with 15ft tinboats (valco,klamath,crestliner) for alot of years before upgrading to a 19ft bayrunner and I can tell ya the difference is huge!