Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: best boat for bola
bowser
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 10-9-2005 at 09:59 AM
best boat for bola

I'd sure like to hear what you all think would be the best boat for my needs in bola.

We will be spending more and more time there during the coming years. We are leasing land on the water and will have a garage to leave the boat in - someday a house.

I want to get a boat that's as small and light as possible yet big enough to be safe We would probably never take it out past the islands but would use it to explore and fish within the bay. I'd also like to be able to launch it on our beach with either a 4X4 or an ATV.

And - what size motor?

The final criteria of course is cost. We'll probably buy used and want the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance. I know there is a wealth of good information on line here.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 10:07 AM

You would best ask that question on this site: It's geared more for boaters and fishermen...just post the same question and you will get lots of expert advice. Good luck.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=sho...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 10:15 AM

I think a 12 to 16 foot aluminum boat on a tiltable trailer would serve that purpose well. Engine size from 15 to 40 should be adequate. Check boatraderonline.com...they have tons of boats for sale.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 04:30 PM

I favor a 13-14 foot inflatable with a 30 hp - easy launch off the beach no car involved!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 05:17 PM

The biggest boat you can afford and beach launch.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 06:09 PM

Depends what you want to use it for......
In an inflatable get a 12' with a 15 hp
In an aluminum boat get a 12 - 14' with a 15 or 25 hp
Or get a 16' alum with console and a 50 hp to go off shore
All these will load with a quad and you can put fat tires on your trailer if it stays on the beach.

If you get a nice boat, let us know EXACTLY where you are storing it and we will be happy to go... um... check on it for you from time to time ! :lol:
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 07:53 PM

You will have to take into consideration the conditions here... there are local winds and waves around nearly every point and they vary with tides and weather.

I have boated in these waters for many years with my Husband at the helm and he taught me much. A true German Sailor who knew the rules from navigation on up...we had only a pull start motor in back, and an anchor up front on our 22' panga...that's it..no battery, radio or anything like that. We carried spare parts, tools, and the knowledge to fix/handle whatever came at us.

I've been out in the nasty stuff, in the calm stuff and everything in between. Our panga was built in La Paz with hand laid fiberglass...no chopper guns.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 08:55 PM

Mia's right, stick with what's simple, what the locals use. Something that you can beach launch, pull start, no flashing gadgets that can't be easily repaired. Your boat is only as safe as your own abilities on the water.

We have a 22ft. La Paz panga, with a 65 hp pullstart commercial Evinrude that's perfect for Bahia. We launch it in front of our trailers south of town on the beach. When retrieving we use metal ramps that we found in the desert that help with traction.

We found that simplier is easier and better. It's light weight, long, sturdy, fast, easy to launch and retrieve. Less things to fix and work on the better. Should your motor take a sh*t, row into the closest cove and radio town for help. no biggie.

We've had everything in Bahia from a Zodiak inflatable to a 30ft. Grady White and in between. Our panga surpasses them all.

It all comes down to your personal needs and abilities.
Have fun, and where is your lot located?

Saludos,
Paulina y Dern

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 12:59 AM

i dunno , maybe a bosten wailer with plentee uf beers:lol::lol::lol :
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 07:39 AM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:
Big score on the scrabble board!

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 08:29 AM

HY FYVE!!!!!
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 08:30 AM

or is it phyve for a triple word score:biggrin::lol::biggrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 12:36 PM
Panga might be the best

It is the picture of simplicity and has enough of a deadrise to cut through the frequent chop in that area.

In any event, something with a deadrise of at least 18 degrees (at the transom) IMO. While I love the Whaler Montauk design for the size, you will pound aplenty in that area.

Are you down by La Mona or up towards La Gringa?

[Edited on 10-10-2005 by Hook]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 01:14 PM
Paulina's Panga is perfect-----imho

I would consider no other.
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 01:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great info so far.

To those who asked we are north of Dagett's and south of La Gringa.

It seems the answer to "best boat for bola?" is "Paulina's panga is perfect".

Now I want to ask where I can get a panga like Paulina's and how much it will cost. I'm not to sure about the alliteration, however. How about "we want one"?

Seriously, are they only made in La Paz? Does anyone know of a used one for sale?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 02:48 PM

There is a panga in the for sale section, Diaz.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 03:42 PM
Pangas...

Just another thought regarding pangas. They are built a certain way, and in a certain design, and which many choose to alter. Seems like a double floor as would be needed to put center consoles in and the like defeats that design and purpose. One great thing about a panga without a double floor is that your feet are below the water line, which makes balancing yourself much easier when fishing. It's more practical all the way around. But You can always integrate floatation chambers into the bow and stern areas. We also had a 22ft. Panga made in La Paz. 55 HP pull-start Suzuki, and no kicker. That way, you take better care of your motor! Always a spare prop and impeller on board, tools, flares, water, etc.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 03:55 PM

Pangas are sturdy, but can be heavy to move and launch in soft sand. Just a thought, you can also look at one of these. Possibly more what you had in mind. Cheap, economical to operate, and easier to sell later in USA.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/3/81147863.htm
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 04:06 PM

For beach launching I think the smokercraft would be ideal, It has high gunnels for its size and would handle rough water well, I think as good on the back as a Panga(I'm not a Panga Lover)

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 04:48 PM

Comitan------Why do you not like Pangas?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.