BajaNomad

Cocteleria Mazatlan

fdt - 3-26-2006 at 11:06 PM

Was there today during a quick trip, went there because of a recomendation on this board and wow, great food I had the Almejas al carbon wich are stuffed clams w/cheese and cooked on the half shell over charcoal, we also had 2 cocteles campechanos and also ordered the pulpo al mojo de ajo, camarones al mojo de ajo a pitcher of lemonade and a bucket of six pacificos. Everything was great, just as described here or better and all for $420 pesos plus tip $50.00 USD. Highly recomend

Tomas Tierra - 3-26-2006 at 11:12 PM

"cocteles campechanos" Que es eso?? Or I guess it would be que son esos

David K - 3-26-2006 at 11:29 PM

Oh my yes... Thanks to Bob H for inviting us to join them last April!

David K - 3-26-2006 at 11:29 PM

A-OK!

David K - 3-26-2006 at 11:30 PM

Super dooper clams al carbon!

David K - 3-26-2006 at 11:33 PM

Audrey and Bob H

[Edited on 3-27-2006 by David K]

campechano

fdt - 3-26-2006 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra

Campechano is a term used for something mixed, in this case it was clam, shrimp, octopus and scallops.
There are many things that are campechanos or campechanas or campechaneadas, say for example you can order at a bar un presidente campechaneado and they will serve you a presidente, ice, mineral water and cola.
DOn't know were it started but I would imagine that in Campeche they mix everything. Maybe Oso knows.

Bob H - 3-26-2006 at 11:37 PM

This place is one of the best in Ensenada. Not to be missed. The Almajas al Carbon is wonderful indeed. Their menu is extensive. It's one popular local place to eat. Big palapa place on 10th Avenue directly across from the bus station.
Bob H
PS: David, we must meet there again soon!:bounce:

Way cool

fdt - 3-26-2006 at 11:38 PM

From seeing your pics, we just were sitting at that same table :spingrin:
I have to start taking a camera out.

fdt - 3-26-2006 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Big palapa place on 10th Avenue directly across from the bus station.

I remembered that someone had said that, and could not find the place, but now with that 10th ave. part, yes. The ferna family thought I was wierd and the place did'nt exist because I was looking directly across from the bus station.:yes:

Tomas Tierra - 3-26-2006 at 11:47 PM

couldn't it then be "campechano del mar" ??
confusing because you don't really get the ingredients in coctele campechano...maybe compechano animales con concha

Does the restaruant have a complaint dept.??:lol::lol:

David K - 3-26-2006 at 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
From seeing your pics, we just were sitting at that same table :spingrin:
I have to start taking a camera out.

Yes indeed! When I met you, a camera was in your hands!

Tifosi - 3-28-2006 at 02:07 PM

Anybody know the closest cross street? 10th ave and ?????

Thanks .... Tifosi

Bob H - 3-28-2006 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tifosi
Anybody know the closest cross street? 10th ave and ?????

Thanks .... Tifosi

I would say it's located on the West side of 10th Avenue, just North of Miramar. It's right next door to a car wash. You can park in a small dirt lot on the South side of the building or park curbside.
Bob H

Bob H - 3-28-2006 at 02:18 PM

Directions... coming in from the North, headed South, past El Sauzal, going toward Ensenada, when MX-1 splits, take the split to the left (away from the ocean). You will pass one Pemex on your left (keep going) and a second Pemex on your right (keep going), start looking to your right and you will finally see a car wash on the corner (I think it's called Bambi's). Cocteleria Mazatlan is right next door.
Bob H

Oso - 3-28-2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra

Campechano is a term used for something mixed, in this case it was clam, shrimp, octopus and scallops.
There are many things that are campechanos or campechanas or campechaneadas, say for example you can order at a bar un presidente campechaneado and they will serve you a presidente, ice, mineral water and cola.
DOn't know were it started but I would imagine that in Campeche they mix everything. Maybe Oso knows.

I've only passed through Campeche so I'm not sure. But I'm familiar with the phrase "La vida Campechana". which infers leisure, relaxation and abundance.

Bob H - 3-29-2006 at 04:57 AM

Let's pick a date and time sometime in the next couple of weeks and meet down there at this place. It would be GREAT!
Bob H

[Edited on 3-29-2006 by Bob H]

I want to go . Let us know when.

Keri - 3-29-2006 at 08:25 AM

Has any one tried the fried cabrilla( sp?) entero . Fantastic. Where's that baja spell checker when you need him. k:yes:

[Edited on 3-29-2006 by Keri]

David K - 3-29-2006 at 09:48 AM

How about today! No work for me with THIS rain!!!

Bob H - 3-29-2006 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How about today! No work for me with THIS rain!!!

Me thinks that palapa would be leaking, big time! :wow:
Bob H

David K - 3-29-2006 at 09:53 AM

Bob, here in Oceanside is a place 'almost' like it... It is even called 'Mariscos Ensenada'... bucket of Pacificos, just like there!

I will meet you for lunch today, if you don't want to drive to Ensenada!

It is on the southwest corner of Oceanside Blvd. (I-5 exit) and El Camino Real... about 3 miles east of I-5.

[Edited on 3-29-2006 by David K]

Bob H - 3-29-2006 at 04:17 PM

Well, David and I ate at Mariscos Ensenada in Oceanside and it felt like we were actually in Baja! Great feeling and very good food here. PLUS Pacifico's by the bucket!

David had this (tell'm what this is David and how good it was)

And I had this... camerones al mojo de ajo

Bob H:lol:

David K - 3-29-2006 at 04:22 PM

Yes, very good... glad you made the drive north today Bob!

Always fun when you combine good food, good beer, and fun-loving people.

Let's do it again soon or even better, in Baja!

Hope more Nomads can join us, too!

Bob H - 3-30-2006 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, very good... glad you made the drive north today Bob!

Always fun when you combine good food, good beer, and fun-loving people.

Let's do it again soon or even better, in Baja!

Hope more Nomads can join us, too!

Hey David, describe what the food is that you ordered, pictured above (Photo #2). It looks so good! The large garlic shrimp plate was really good!
Bob H

David K - 3-30-2006 at 08:13 PM

(L to R) Shrimp Taco, Fish Taco and Ceviche Tostada!:biggrin:

[Edited on 3-31-2006 by David K]

Bob H - 2-28-2009 at 09:55 AM

Thinking about Cocteleria Mazatlan today. Wish I could be there right now!
Bob H

David K - 2-28-2009 at 09:57 AM

I poted some of the 2005 photos on the other thread, just now... they were here, but Nomad lost photo posts after this was first posted... Go here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37306

[Edited on 2-28-2009 by David K]