BajaNomad

Helping Storm Victims

Pages:  1  

Skeet/Loreto - 9-4-2006 at 03:03 AM

"NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD NOMADS TO COME TO THE AID OF THE PEOPLE OF MULEGE AND LORETO'

Suggestions: If you are attempting to drive South from the States when the roads open take
Clothes-Pack them in old Suitcases-
Potatoes/Beans--I Sack each of Beans and Potatos will usually get through Customs
Chemicals for treating Water.

The Recovery will last for Months-All depends on getting the Roads open so that supplies can get through.

Depending on the Mexican Govt. and whether or not they will allow some Goods to cross the Border.
There will be People in the Mountains that may have lost all of Their Possessions, Keep them in Mind as Reports come in from such places as San Javier.
After "Lisa"-30 years ago- The most useful Item was Clothing.

Skeet/Loreto

[Edited on 9-14-2006 by BajaNomad]

CaboMagic - 9-4-2006 at 08:01 AM

Dear Doug, If this is not allowed please forgive .. you know we always extend our helping hands to those in need ...

Dear Amigos and Amigas

We have created the Dos Angels Hurricane John Relief Project with some good people in Las Vegas who will spearhead efforts there ..

Items will be purchased in La Paz or in CSL and driven north to East Cape/Cabo Pulmo/Los Frailles where/as needed ... everything will be distributed at churches ...

We are aware there are many areas in need - we wish to help everyone - realistically we can make a difference within our reach. We send our support to those outside of our reach in need and know an angel will arrange for the assistance needed.

There are many Amigos and Amigas ready to make a difference now & we applaud you ..

We have a USA Wells Fargo account for contributions & paypal also available .. On cabomagic.com click on MAKE A PAYMENT page specify hurricane project.

Road conditions down the peninsula from CA are as yet unknown - Remember the road is nearly 1100 miles long from the U.S.A. border to CSL .. the trip will no doubt take much longer due to washouts etc ...

Your support much appreciated ... every amount helps ... prayers for all and blessings to be counted.

Tommy & Lori Garcia and the extended family and families of CABO MAGIC Sportfishing.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by CaboMagic]

Getting Relief Supplies Across the Border

vgabndo - 9-4-2006 at 12:43 PM

Can anyone take on the responsibility of learning from the Mexican Government what might be done, or is being done, to make it possible for us to take significant amounts of relief supplies across the border?

I have a LOT of luggage, but it would be stupid and useless to try to "hide" two 3/4 ton pickup beds worth of clothes and food in luggage.

The need will be ongoing for a long time, remember Katrina, I have no doubt that with the network we have and the distance I would drive from here to the border that I could fill my Dodge and my utility trailer with contributions picked up along the way.

I am aching to help. I don't want to get turned away at the border.

There are 2600 of us. We have power and resources and a lot of people we love are hurting.

The Nomad "family" can make a lot of difference in people's lives.

First, finding out about getting supplies across the border.

There must be someone among us with disaster relief training. Please post some recommendations to help the ignorant but good hearted to stay out of trouble.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by vgabndo]

Skeet/Loreto - 9-4-2006 at 05:23 PM

Good Post; Will someone call the Mexican consule in San diego tommorrow Morning? That will be the first Contact, then the San diego Union.
Skeet

Mosquito spray

vgabndo - 9-4-2006 at 06:46 PM

I got a nice u2u from Cindi. It certainly makes sense for everyone who is packing to run south to take all the bug spray they can afford. Both for themselves and to share.

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 09:11 PM

Mosquito netting saved our family after ignacio and marty (and olaf and nora) in 2003. There was no repellent to be bought for any price anywhere but we had a king sized bed with mosquito netting. We practically lived on the bed within the netting during the month of october. Our house had no electricity then and I remember it well was not a pretty picture. Several folks died of dengue here mostly women. I think because women tend to be more sedentary here than men as they're practically chained to washing boards all day long, perfect target for a dengue mosquito bite.

send mosquito repellent
send mosquito netting

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 09:13 PM

The airport in Loreto is completely functional. Maybe we can do something with Alaska Air Lines and Aero Mexico bringing supplies here then transporting them by boat(s) to Mulege.

barnes - 9-4-2006 at 09:50 PM

So_thanks so much--just got to this message board-now know the airstrip in loreto is ok. i guess?

I have a home in mulege--or maybe I do--i have friends there now--or maybe i do. I believe many feel the same way I do. I am app. 2000 miles away-ready to go with one days notice--but - yes I know what to bring--but can I get through--roads-gasoline-water(could bring distillation methods but have to get on line to order_i live in a remote area in the us.) etc.

what happened to us news--no reports at all---that would help--the more news on us tv--maybe then-enough pressure-no problems at border.??? \\

ANY IDEAS ANYBODY??--i CANNOT SPEAK MEXICAN-UN POQUITO--\

i WILL TRY TO CONTACT CNN OR WHOEVER--MAYBE NOBODY HAS?? WHATEVER-----JOE BARNES

Hurricane John Relief Project

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-4-2006 at 10:54 PM

Lori @ Cabo Magic and I have started a relief project. We're calling it Dos Angeles Hurricane John Relief Project.
When we came up with the idea the need was in the East Cape area but it looks like the relief is needed throughout Baja. We're only set up for monetary donations thus far with contacts in the East Cape and La Paz for purchasing and distribution of supplies bought at local places like Costco, Soriana, etc. and distributing through the churches. You can donate through Wells Fargo, account # 6196-963505 or send to Wells Fargo Bank, 6110 W. Cheyenne Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada 89108, Attn: GINA REYES or ANNE MARIE. Credit Card donations can be handled through http://www.cabomagic.com/paymentpage.aspx and make it ATTN: Hurricane Relief.
Once we know if Highway 1 is passable from the US, and the Mexican Government is agreeable, we can then start caravans of supplies but at this point, since we just don't know the status of Highway 1, or if the government will be open to the efforts, this seems to be the best course of action that we can do.
Please pass this info on to all your friends and family as the news sources in the states are not covering this tragic story at all. I've been trying to get the news stations here in Vegas and elsewhere in the states to cover the story but have had no luck at all. If anyone can get me video footage of the devastation that could help a lot in the relief effort.
Much love,
Linda Evans

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by FutureBajaRetiree]

Camera crews and sat links

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 12:43 AM

in Mulege?? I doubt it's gonna happen.....ever. Maybe a few submitted AP/UPI photos could prompt a story??

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by Sharksbaja]

yahoo group for Baja Relief

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 12:49 AM

I have created a group on yahoo to try to organize some relief. :)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/

yahoo group bajarelief

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 01:16 AM

Please feel Free to use this message board as you wish. Any advise will be taken to heart. It has been a challenge for me to keep the postings here ( on Nomad) organized in order to see what is happening, what is needed, etc. So I thought I would try to help. Please let me know if it is more confusing than good. I Will try to clean it up tomorrow. Thanks.

submarine_dbk - 9-5-2006 at 08:37 AM

As everyone else on this board, we are desparetly concerned for everyone in Mulege. We are so happy to see the numerous relief efforts folks here are undertaking.

We spoke with the US consulate in Tijuana a short while ago and they indicated that they are aware of the situation in Mulege and that personnel had been down the penisula to see the damage. Howver, the women I spoke to also indicated that the MX government had not made any requests for help. Not exactly certain what this means as I was unable to speak to a supervisor at the time. I would suggest that anyone who has a moment call the consulate and inquire about what assistance they can provide in coordinating relief efforts, cutting thru red tape in getting goods imported across the border and perhaps getting our government more involved too. More voices will likely result in more action.

Number of the consulate in TJ is:

(664) 622-7400
From the U.S. 011-52 (664) 622-7400

For our friends down south - know you have so many people working round the clock to get help to you. Hang on and know our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Bajame - 9-5-2006 at 08:45 AM

Will be down in San Ignaico in about 4 days. What are the chances of setting up a soup kitchen in near the river, have lots of food little money. Will the police go for this? are will they give trouble?

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 08:47 AM

Is anyone keeping a list of who is offering to help and what they've offered? If so could you post it . Thanks a ton.

Relief for Mulege

baja1 - 9-5-2006 at 09:13 AM

Hurricane John caused major damage in Baja from Mulege down to LaPaz.
According to the Red Cross in Baja North who is coordinating relief efforts for Hurricane John, this is their report as of Sept 5 at 8:00 AM:

That President Vicente Fox was in Mulege (and other areas) yesterday
That he pledged national support for the area
That the water in Mulege is down to normal level
That the roads to Mulege from the north have been fixed or detours have been made
That trucks will be arriving today with relief supplies
That most structures survived the flood however, most in the river sustained heavy damage
That there is major cleanup to be done
That the government is sending in persons to spray for dengue fever as well as vaccinate all the children
And that although Mulege was hit very hard, the major damage was between Loreto and LaPaz.

We have been attempting to contact persons in Mulege who can confirm this information. If you are in Mulege or have a contact that can be reached in Mulege, they need to contact us at jack@bajabushpilots.com.

Travel info into mexico

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 09:42 AM

Here is a link for what you are allowed to bring into mexico, how you can get there, etc. Check out the special Permits section.

oops travel info

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 09:52 AM

sorry about the missing link. Here it is. In Adobe Format.

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/information/manual%20i...

Or you can try
www.discoverbajacalifornia.com

I'd like to direct folks to your hurricane relief area...

flyfishinPam - 9-5-2006 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic

We have a USA Wells Fargo account for contributions & paypal also available .. On cabomagic.com click on MAKE A PAYMENT page specify hurricane project.
[Edited on 9-4-2006 by CaboMagic]

BUT- I would rather your website state what's going on with explaination before I do so. So please put something specific within your website in reference to the donations, what they're for, specific instructions displayed prominently on your front page as its not intuitive now. If I point folks from my site to yours in efforts to get funding for disaster relief, then there must be reference to this please. Right now it would just point to another sportfishing operations website without explaination. Thanks

flyfishinPam - 9-5-2006 at 11:10 AM

OK I saw futurebajaretiree's post on the hurricane relief organization with address in Nevada and account information to wells fargo bank also the link for credit card payments to cabo magic's website and that's what I'll post. I didn't mean anything bad by checking on what I would be linking to, I always check.

CaboMagic - 9-5-2006 at 11:18 AM

ALL funds received will be used to purchase supplies

Water
Gatorade Powder
Mosquito Netting
Repellant
Canned Goods/Openers
Flashlights/Batteries
Underwear/Tshirts
Shoes/Sandals

The items will either be procured in Mexico or the USA depending on where the trucks will be dispatched from - Currently we are ready and able to do both. Currently we are waiting on directions from the Mexican authorities how they want this handled. You Pam should know how important it is to follow those rules and not come off as some arrogant American with the "right way" to do things ..

Why the attempts to tarnish or to turn something very good into something so questionable?

We have donated thousands of dollars in the past to organised efforts even tho we knew not one person in the tragedy.

We are not looking to do anything to promote anything EXCEPT the relief effort. The timing being of the essence necessity has not given us the luxury of setting up Business Entity required to open a bank account in its name.. we are simply doing what we can how we can.

The more time I spend on this board answering these allegations takes me away from very important things so thank you for understanding I will not be looking at this board all day and replying.

Peace and goodwill to all. Lori Garcia
Tuesday 11:18 PST

Sharks Mulege Relief Fund

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 12:24 PM

After being consumed by emails and questions on what and where to give, I have decided to collect funds via our website.

Very easy, click on the donation button. We will take ALL the funds and apply them with great focus on the needs of the residents and displaced victims in the wrath of Hurricane John.

All proceeds will be kept in the Paypal account until which time(s) cash is needed for important and useful reasons.
I will update and publish amounts and at your discretion.
I will also publish disposition of same on a separate web page.

Thank you for your generous and continuing support.

Sincerely, Clayton(Corky) and Karen Kuhlman

follow this link:

Mulege Relief Fund

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Lori...GOOD JOB

vgabndo - 9-5-2006 at 12:28 PM

No need to defend yourself. From outside the crisis you are coming off as most helpful. It's only natural, and prudent, for folks to make sure their money is well spent. I think you've satisfied everyone. I hope so. THANKS for all you are doing.

toneart - 9-5-2006 at 12:45 PM

I didn't feel that Flyfishinpam was coming off as arrogant. Everyone is very concerned and wants to do the best for the immediate crisis in Mulege.

When I opened the link she is referring to, that is what you see: a webpage for a diving company. I did click on one of their buttons and it took me to some basic relief fund information.

Please try to not be offended by her remarks. You are coming from a giving, pure heart effort here and are to be commended. It is easy to feel hurt or offended when you know, in your heart, what a great thing you are doing.

Pam was offering to mobilize an effort from her area and just wanted more precise information before she puts her credibility on the line. You are actually both on the same page.

I will donate to this fund right after I finish this message and I urge everyone reading this to do the same.

donations

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 12:59 PM

I agree with toneart. Let's be friends. I was wondering too, like Pam. Thanks Cabomagic for doing a good thing.

donations

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 01:13 PM

I have posted your link( and a link to CaboMagic) to my page:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/
good job.

magic donations

Johnny - 9-5-2006 at 01:15 PM

I have posted a link to your page on my Yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/
good luck.

Bajamatic - 9-5-2006 at 02:58 PM

"Why the attempts to tarnish or to turn something very good into something so questionable?

We have donated thousands of dollars in the past to organised efforts even tho we knew not one person in the tragedy."

For every honest fund like yours there are ten funds that are fraudulent - we just want to make sure our money is going where we think its going. No harm done. My donation is also on its way.

It's working

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 03:14 PM

$400 so far! Atsa more like it! Gracias!

I DO have connections for wholesale food products. I will consider that for another personal contribution.

correction: $1050 now

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Diver - 9-5-2006 at 04:37 PM

Let's go people !! Dig deep !
People really need our help in the place we all love.
No one better to trust than Sharks and Bruce !

Any idea when you are leaving, Corky ??

Diver

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 04:42 PM

I think it's imperative that we get a clearer picture of exactly what will be useful as soon as the roads are cleared. It is obvious the need for meds food clothes shoes cooking apparatus, tarps for shade. Other good stuff would be shovels wheelbarrows sledge hammers chainsaws etc. I will bring an assortment of useful item like these including a genset.
Tentatively set for mid next week departure. Thanx for the support amigo. Every bit will be exterely useful and acknowledged. Corky

Donation are pouring in

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 05:02 PM

Fantastic..... we are over $1500 dlls now.

GOOD ON YOU GUYS!

Skeet/Loreto - 9-5-2006 at 05:13 PM

I Highly recommend Lori and Tommy at Cabo Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There Effort is the only one that I will send Money .
They are both Hard-working -Honest and Trustworthy

They are very successful in Their Business because "There Word is Their Bond!!!
Skeet/Loreto
Anon The Preacher
Skeeter Peter
Skeet/Texas

Al G - 9-5-2006 at 05:26 PM

It IS for Mulege', they need it the most

CaboMagic - 9-5-2006 at 06:21 PM

Sorry for any defense postured reply .. we are all doing whatever is within our ability - and the restrictions (road conditions) we are dealing with add to the frustration ... Tho I resist believing anyone could do anything with mal-intent, I understand that there are opportunists waiting in the wings to ask for donations ... PLEASE accept my heartfelt apology if I have ruffled/offended or otherwise been anything less than my usually cheerful positive self ...

Some of you do personally know us and others only thru our business .. as Skeet says our word is our bond .. we do not place time limits on how early we start or how late we will quit in a day ... Our staff too .. everyone is poised and ready ...

Today we learned the government is moving soldiers & equipment to clear roads to allow supplies to get down/in/thru - I respectfully reiterate the comments that vehicles on the road ought be there to further the relief efforts ... its up to 'you' to decide ...

For those who missed it: President Fox was in CSL proper very early Sunday and flew the entire peninsula to assess the damage. There were alot of lessons learned from the Katrina tragedy ...

Tho is it tough to be patient when waiting for relief we can only reply again that if it were possible to wave a magic wand we would do so ..

Our angel partner Linda Evans is doing a great job in Las Vegas to get the word out there .. people are generous and want to do what they can.

We will keep this board updated as often as possible .. God bless all of us .. Lori Garcia

Isn't that odd

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 07:07 PM

that with all those folks , they would manage to gather help in donation form. I suppose it has a lot to do with small towns and trust. Interesting.

WE'RE AT 16 DONATIONS EQUALING $1438.00 :cool:

Maybe it will go to the loss of school stuff....

Info For San Diego Union on Mulege Relief

lindsay - 9-5-2006 at 09:03 PM

I have been checking all the various posts concerning Mulege relief efforts and I also contacted SD Union Tribune staff writer, Sandra Dibble, who writes articles focusing on Baja California for the paper. She wants to follow up on the needs in Mulege since this story has not been reported in the SD area or US news. She asked me to pass on any contacts in Mulege or those of you who are organizing relief efforts from the U.S. So, if you are involved in these efforts, please call her at 619-293-1716 or e-mail her at sandra.dibble@uniontrib.com

I think that getting the message out about what is urgently needed and how to help Mulege via the SD Union could help more people become aware of the situation. I also gave her the baja nomads website as a reference for info on the devastation in the area. So, let's hope that this story gets out and others will join all the great efforts here to help out!!

Al G - 9-5-2006 at 09:04 PM

"Maybe it will go to the loss of school stuff...."

What happened to Food, bedding, Mosquitos, Pureification...
I thought things were desperate there....Like life and limb was in danger???

Mulege Relief Info for San Diego Union Newspaper

lindsay - 9-5-2006 at 09:47 PM

I have been checking all the various posts concerning Mulege relief efforts and I also contacted SD Union Tribune staff writer, Sandra Dibble, who writes articles focusing on Baja California for the paper. She wants to follow up on the needs in Mulege since this story has not been reported in the SD area or US news. She asked me to pass on any contacts in Mulege or those of you who are organizing relief efforts from the U.S. So, if you are involved in these efforts, please call her at 619-293-1716 or e-mail her at sandra.dibble@uniontrib.com

I think that getting the message out about what is urgently needed and how to aid Mulege via the SD Union could help more people become aware of the situation. I also gave her the baja nomads website as a reference for info on the devastation in the area. So, let's hope that this story gets out and others will join all the great efforts here to help out!!

Yes Al, they are desparate!.

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 10:38 PM

And everyday life is important as well. Many will not have much for a long long time. I hope we can give enough to cover a whole bunch of immediate problems as well as school stuff.
I will not be the one who decides that anyway amigo so not to worry.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-6-2006 at 01:28 AM

Just finished checking out other Websites requesting Funds for Mulege Victums,

I recommend Mulege Marv for any type assistance -Money and Supplies.

Has anyone been in Touch with Saul ? Would sure be interested in his Well-being.

thanks
Skeet/Loreto

toneart - 9-6-2006 at 02:18 AM

Quote:
quote]Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Has anyone been in Touch with Saul ? Would sure be interested in his Well-being.

thanks

If you mean Saul Davis, yes, Pat Llewellen reached him by phone yesterday. She was getting info regarding her husband, Hugh. Don't know details of their conversation, but they did get connected. By the way, Hugh and the dogs are fine.
Skeet/Loreto

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 07:10 AM

here are a few things needed now in Mulege

first and most difficult is drinking water WE ARE OUT OF WATER.

there is no food Left here at all

people need beading and clothing of all sizes but mostly child sizes.

these are the things we need now. the list will be deferent for people coming in 2 weeks or more.

pelicanreefbarandgrill - 9-6-2006 at 07:16 AM

Bruce,

Get a hold of Rick Barber there and tell him to empty my roof pila at my house there .I shut off the valves and the regular water could be boiled for drinking water.There should be 250 gallons there.

Pierce and Val

jerry - 9-6-2006 at 07:47 AM

bruce just thinking dont you have a big well on your ranch? is it drinkable?? or at least treatable?? a tanker truck from somewhere??

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
quote]Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

thanks

If you mean Saul Davis, yes, Pat Llewellen reached him by phone yesterday. She was getting info regarding her husband, Hugh. Don't know details of their conversation, but they did get connected. By the way, Hugh and the dogs are fine.
Skeet/Loreto

Saul and family are all fine he got about a foot of water in his store and house he lost all of his refrigerators.

Dos Angeles Update Wednesday 8am

CaboMagic - 9-6-2006 at 08:10 AM

Good day to all Angels, Amigos and Amigas ..

Just spoke with Bruce R. Leech in Mulege (for anyone that is new to the board) .. things are really taking shape and he sends great thanks to all for their prayers and support ..

Mexican helicopters brought in food and some supplies yesterday. More expected today. More areas are getting electricity turned back on.

He is amazed at how quickly they are receiving assistance.

More sections of the road (north and south) should be open today/tomorrow.

Bruce stresses that what is needed now is not necessarily what will be needed when folks come in two weeks.

The Fire Dept asks for sturdy ROPES.

Bedding/Camping Cots/Air Mattresses
Clothing - tho Bruce says for the children we know all sizes are needed - he pointed out that cooler weather is coming.
Shoes/Sneakers
Cooking equipment - Camping Stoves/Pots/Pans/BBQ Utensils
Canned Good/Can Openers

Our plan is to begin shipping from Tijuana. As we have done with Bruce previously boxes/totes will be filled with supplies and shipped via the trucking company we use. They are reliable and dependable. It will take 2-3-4 days for things to arrive in Mulege.

Your contributions are greatly appreciated by everyone organizing a relief effort - please send what you can.

Remember "Its a Wonderful life" with Jimmy Stewart & Donna Reed? Ding Ding Ding - Angels get their wings everytime a donation is made.

Much Baja Love
Lori Garcia "cabomagic" and Linda Evans "futurebajaretiree"

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by CaboMagic]

elgatoloco - 9-6-2006 at 08:28 AM

Good job! Thanks!

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 08:36 AM

GREAT things are moving, finally; so the Helis did actually touch ground. Not all have noticed that then. >GooooD<

Skeet/Loreto - 9-6-2006 at 09:23 AM

Thanks Bruce!

Bruce I am going to put all funds I receive for "Warm Jackets for Cold Kids" to go to the Victums of Mulege.
I am not comfortable with PayPal.
Do you know of any Stateside Address orPerson that can accept Funds that we know will get to the Proper People??
Skeet/Loreto

How Can We Connect with Your TJ Efforts??

lindsay - 9-6-2006 at 09:23 AM

Thanks for all your great coordination efforts. I work at a English school in San Diego and my students have been donating clothes so I would love to connect with your trucks leaving from TJ. I also posted about letting the SD Union Tribune writer Sandra Dibble know about Mulege relief efforts. Would it be OK for her to contact you about the efforts that you are coordinating?? Thanks for any info and I would be happy to get stuff to TJ or let me know what is the best way to assist...

Skeet

submarine_dbk - 9-6-2006 at 09:36 AM

You might try contacting Susan Glasson of the Tahoe Rotary. Thery have some efforts underway. sglasson@charter.net

Also, the Santa Rosalia Rotary is collecting funds. contact Julieta Medina Oronoz at julietabaja@hotmail.com - she is well known by Punta Chivato folks and very reliable.

BBP and flying sams step up!!

capt. mike - 9-6-2006 at 09:45 AM

this just in off the BBP hi-speed travel/info wire:

Red Cross Requests Assistance for Mulege. - 9/5/2006

The Red Cross today indicates that things are critical in Mulege and the town needs help.

They have requested the BBP?s help to ferry water and food into Mulege. They are contacting the state of Sonora?s Red Cross and are trying to stage supplies in either Guaymas or Hermosillo so that it is a short flight into either El Gallito or Palo Verde.

BBP admin will be posting and alerting again as information is firmed up.

Please call or e-mail if you can be of assistance, what type of aircraft you have, and when you can leave. We are requesting from Mexico City that all landing fees be waived during this airlift. Guyamas cannot waive these fees locally as the emergency is not in Sonora.

480 730 3250

csmith@bajabushpilots.com

Addditionally:

BBP is in contact with Diana Johnson who is in Mulege. She indicates that there have been no relief supplies as of today, that her dad (Don) who is in TJ is sending water tomorrow via truck.

The critical needs are liquids and canned food, clothing is secondary.

We have about 8 aircraft who have indicated they can ferry supplies into Mulege.

If the Red Cross has not firmed up the supplies by 1:00 today, BBP staff will purchase water in Phoenix and go on down.

the Phoenix Flying Sams indicates they will have five aircraft in Guaymas on Friday and they can also ferry supplies.

About half of the rooms on the river side of the Serenidad were flooded included the four houses in the back. The strip, at this time is washed out on the north end. People are out there trying to fill in the hole by hand so that it can be used.

Water was up to the steps of Don Johnson?s house downtown, most of the shops around the square were flooded.

And, they are requesting that there be no tourists. It is more important to have another 20 gallons of water than another person to use up needed resources.

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 09:49 AM

At a business meeting this a.m. with some local professionals that I work with here in San Diego, one of these people mentioned to me that if there was an established relief organization being used, that her place of business was seeking another charity to support (I believe she indicated up to $10,000 U.S.) and could possibly be something they consider. She indicated that the decision would need to be made possibly as soon as today or tomorrow.

While I am reviewing various postings - I haven't read everything here, and would like to know if we have any sort of reliable, non-seat-of-the-pants relief organization in place to assist that might fit this requirement to get this company involved - and that I can present to her.

Looking for help here in presenting something they could realistically consider.

Dos Angels? BBP? Rotary? Help me here.

Thanks.

--
Doug

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by BajaNomad]

Pescador - 9-6-2006 at 10:06 AM

Doug, the rotary in Santa Rosalia has stepped up to the plate and perhaps they would be the most logical entity to set up and disburse monies. The phone numbers are on previous posts and the Rotary in Mulege is a very active orginization who would also logically become involved

BCSTech - 9-6-2006 at 10:35 AM

We're driving up tomorrow with donations of food from the people of Todos Santos. It may take us until Friday to reach Mulege.

Where do we deliver???

JZ - 9-6-2006 at 10:56 AM

Is it possible to post a single message with 1) brief summary of what happened and damage), 2) what is needed, and 3) what the various donation groups are that people can go to. I suggest this be posted with a sticky at the forum top and locked. Only the admin can give updates as needs and status changes.

I can't follow all the postings and tell who is on first. I think we need a little organization. For example, I was going to send people to this board, to understand what happened, what is needed, and where to give. But I have no clue where to point them for precise information without weeding through nomad scabbles and the like.

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 11:19 AM

JZ - I was thinking the same today
I had the same problem with people asking me for infos and donating stuff and pics to be found for broadcasting as well.
Everything seems to be scattered around and not to be found when needed quickly.
Like a DONATING Thread, a INFO Thread for those looking for someoneand passing on messages to people without connections, And a NEWS Thread with comments on the Situation and Photos
Doug?? can this be set up somehow?

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Is it possible to post a single message with 1) brief summary of what happened and damage), 2) what is needed, and 3) what the various donation groups are that people can go to. I suggest this be posted with a sticky at the forum top and locked. Only the admin can give updates as needs and status changes.

I can't follow all the postings and tell who is on first. I think we need a little organization. For example, I was going to send people to this board, to understand what happened, what is needed, and where to give. But I have no clue where to point them for precise information without weeding through nomad scabbles and the like.

If somebody here would like to put it together, I'd be happy to post it that way. I would require assistance however, as I have my hands very full just keeping this site available right now.

:)

Sharks relief fund

Sharksbaja - 9-6-2006 at 12:09 PM

I see the thread has been dead-ended and relinked to here.

Sharks Mulege Relief
Doug indicated that the volume of traffic was leading to server probs in a big way.

Anyhoo. more donation have poured in and we now have collected over $2000 dlls.

A good bunch of considerate Nomads (you know who you are) and your money will be of great assisstance in the weeks ahead.

A blanket thank you from all. Corky

I've updated my website on a very prominent link for dos Angeles project.

flyfishinPam - 9-6-2006 at 01:06 PM

Here's the direct link:

http://bajabigfish.com/dosangeles.html

and the link from one of the prominent pages of my website:

http://bajabigfish.com/index.html

I sure hope this helps!

and sorry it took me over 24 hours. Imagine a three year old screaming in one ear and a six year old in the other. also my laptop crashes about three times an hour since I reconnected the direcway aftretr the storm!

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Doug, the rotary in Santa Rosalia has stepped up to the plate and perhaps they would be the most logical entity to set up and disburse monies. The phone numbers are on previous posts
Where? All I can find is this email address as a contact:

julietabaja (at) hotmail.com

Rotary may be my best bet - as Lori doesn't have a legal entity setup - and this company (a local market) would not likely get involved unless there's some accountable entity they would participate through.

--
Doug

submarine_dbk - 9-6-2006 at 01:28 PM

Julieta is helping the Rotary Club of Santa Rosalia handle and track donations made to the Rotary Club peso account and directly to Julieta's dollar account. I'm afraid I do not have contact for a person in the Rotary club, but an email to Julieta would likely get the info to you in a hurry. Additionally, there has been some contact between the Sta Rosaolia Rotary and Tahoe - but you can also try emailing Susan Glasson at

sglasson at charter dot net

they might be a good org for a larger donor to look at.
PM me if I can be of assistance in trying to contact these folks directly.

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by submarine_dbk]

flyfishinPam - 9-6-2006 at 01:40 PM

I posted a web page for Dos Angeles and hope that it helps in generating dontations and gets the word out. I also modified the titlebar and meta tags to include specific key words so the folks using search engines that will never see this site or my site will be able to find it soon.

Hope it helps

http://bajabigfish.com/dosangeles.html

linked from here http://bajabigfish.com
and here
http://bajabigfish.com/johnlto.html

CaboMagic - 9-6-2006 at 03:01 PM

Wednesday 2:30pm Update

Thank you all for the incredibly kind messages of support .. and thank you for the generous donations thus far.

At 6pm this evening the Padrino from the church in CSL will be in our office with word from the Padrinos of several area churches with updates on what specifically is needed and in which pueblo/pueblito. We will continue to get our 4x4 trucks out to the East Cape area filled as quickly as we can with items purchased locally.

On Monday several boxes and totes will be shipped to Mulege via our afore mentioned BajaPak service.

WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border and down to Mulege. If any Nomad Amigo Angels are going to head south and can take boxes with them please contact us via email to discuss coordination tommyandlori"at"cabomagic.com and please put RELIEF PROJECT in the subject line.

Tonite we will find out what permissos we can get so that our relief supplies coming across the border will not be required to see the aduana.

For those of you sending donations by check to Wells Fargo bank please send us your email address so we can advise you when your check has been received. Please remember to put HURRICANE RELIEF PROJECT on the memo section of your check.

Any ideas anyone of you have please forward them on .. they are all welcome!

There can never be too many heroes or angels involved in this ..

Lindsay your work with the children is applauded! Yes Sandra can contact us.
Pam you have your hands full and being a mom is being an angel 24/7/365 You are on the team!

If anyone wants me to specifically identify them/their contribution on these postings tell me and I will do so otherwise we only send out an email upon receipt of your donation.

Ding Ding Ding ? ?It?s a Wonderful Life?

Lori & Linda
DOS ANGELES

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by CaboMagic]

EngineerMike - 9-6-2006 at 03:10 PM

FYI- Here is another place for donations:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...
International Community Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)3, non-profit that has been in this line of work for a while. Their Disaster Relief fund was empty, and they have temporarily designated it for Hurricane John relief, to be heavily concentrated in the Mulege/Santa Rosalia area. ICF is a pass-through organization that enables other bona-fide non-profits with demonstrated ability to perform, along with occasional pilot projects when appropriate. Most of their efforts are in or near Baja, as they are HQ'd in San Diego.

The current plans, subject to improvement as opportunity develops, are to
1) purchase supplies in TJ/Ensenda at Costco and other cost effective suppliers. Manhattan Beach Sister City Org. has taken the lead for organizing the heavy lifting (see www.mhsistercity.org for their info). Then
2) truck by commercial carrier if possible thru donation, discount or cost effectiveness, and/or volunteer caravans from northern Baja.
3) If border crossing issues are resolved by the consulate, cross-border shipments will also be managed as available.

For those who have a foundation requiring such, or are otherwise only inclined to donate through established 501(c)3 non-profit conduits, this is a well established outfit with a lot of projects under its belt. They ask the questions like where, and through whom will distribution take place (initial aim is to go through local Rotary clubs, and it may be that Santa Rosalia's club is less up to their pits in mud than Mulegeno Rotarians, and more poised to do a good job in Mulege as well as SR as need exists), which will be monitored as deliveries progress to assure effectiveness.

As stated above, various efforts are all to be applauded, all have their place, and all are certain to be underappreciated due to the sheer magnitude of the need. This is complementary, and not competition, and it is going to be practically impossible to exceed the need. Time to "Git 'er Done!'

I just checked & the fund is up to $2,200.

Dos Angeles Update Wednesday 2:30pm

CaboMagic - 9-6-2006 at 03:30 PM

Wednesday 2:30pm Update

Thank you all for the incredibly kind messages of support .. and thank you for the generous donations thus far.

At 6pm this evening the Padrino from the church in CSL will be in our office with word from the Padrinos of several area churches with updates on what specifically is needed and in which pueblo/pueblito. We will continue to get our 4x4 trucks out to the East Cape area filled as quickly as we can with items purchased locally.

On Monday several boxes and totes will be shipped to Mulege via our afore mentioned BajaPak service.

WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border and down to Mulege. If any Nomad Amigo Angels are going to head south and can take boxes with them please contact us via email to discuss coordination tommyandlori"at"cabomagic.com and please put RELIEF PROJECT in the subject line.

Tonite we will find out what permissos we can get so that our relief supplies coming across the border will not be required to see the aduana.

For those of you sending donations by check to Wells Fargo bank please send us your email address so we can advise you when your check has been received. Please remember to put HURRICANE RELIEF PROJECT on the memo section of your check.

Any ideas anyone of you have please forward them on .. they are all welcome!

There can never be too many heroes or angels involved in this ..

Lindsay your work with the children is applauded! Yes Sandra can contact us.
Pam you have your hands full and being a mom is being an angel 24/7/365 You are on the team!

If anyone wants me to specifically identify them/their contribution on these postings tell me and I will do so otherwise we only send out an email upon receipt of your donation.

Ding Ding Ding ? ?It?s a Wonderful Life?

Lori & Linda
DOS ANGELES

more from BBP action and response

capt. mike - 9-6-2006 at 04:21 PM

"Departing for Mulege, Wal-Mart donating. - 9/5/2006

The Red Cross is still determining where we should be picking up supplies. BBP staffer departing Chandler this afternoon with 100 gallons of water and will report back this evening as to what I believe is really needed.

In addition we are working with the Wal-Mart Emergency Response people in Arkansas who indicate that they will be providing relief supplies to us in Hermosillo to take to Mulege.

I have a reporter / photographer from the Arizona Republic riding down with me and will be filing a report from Mexico.

And, a reporter from the San Diego Tribune needs a ride down in the morning. She is based in San Diego but indicates she could in Imperial, etc. if necessary. Please contact Claudia at BBP HQ if you can take her.

Claudia will be in the office the rest of the day as well as in the morning. In addition, I believe that I will have internet access in Mulege. Between the two of us, we will get the information back.

We have about 15 aircraft who indicate that they will be in Mexico tomorrow. For those that have volunteered, please be ready to depart in the morning as soon as you get our information.

Again, the need is water, canned food, flip-flop shoes, and cloths. Medical supplies are also needed."

Pescador - 9-6-2006 at 04:37 PM

Doug, it sure looks as though the ICF exchange may be the answer that you were looking for. I read through the data sheets and all the information and it looks like it is truly a pass through orginization, meaning they do not keep anything for administration and they seem to be well connected to the Rotary orginizations of both Mulege and Santa Rosalia

Oso - 9-6-2006 at 05:19 PM

Lori,
For me it was faster and easier to just deposit some cash at the Wells Fargo- no problem. I doubt that IRS will officially recognize your efforts for deductions (In fact they could nail you for this as "income".), so a "receipt" is irrelevant to me. Sooner or later, the "big" charities will get involved. But, I don't care to support their admin. skim. I'd rather go person to person with someone I know I can trust and you fit that description.

Let me know if you get any crap from IRS, I'll help pay the fine.

"No good deed goes unpunished.":rolleyes:

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Doug, it sure looks as though the ICF exchange may be the answer that you were looking for. I read through the data sheets and all the information and it looks like it is truly a pass through orginization, meaning they do not keep anything for administration and they seem to be well connected to the Rotary orginizations of both Mulege and Santa Rosalia
I concur.

Was reading through it myself as well.

Thanks,
--
Doug

rotary info from JULIETA

bajasuenos - 9-6-2006 at 09:05 PM

please see email we rec'd from Julieta yesterday 09/05/06. Also attached is the rotary Club bank acct info for donations.
this isn't my usual sign in. FYI. couldn't seem to connect as usual. God bless-we are going down early October and can bring anythign and everything in our big ol' Dodge truck. We are in Petaluma CA. take good care~Susan & Jim Ravina

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina

Geronimo - 9-6-2006 at 09:18 PM

I posted the info for the ICF over at race-dezert.com on an exisisting thread. If doesent get any response I will continue to bump it or start a new thread. I am also emailing owner to see if he can put it up on the news section.

bajasuenos - 9-6-2006 at 09:24 PM

ROTARIO CLUB INFO FROM JULIETA

please see email below from Julieta with Rotary Club info attachment.

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
...they do not keep anything for administration...
From what I read they do, but it still appeared to be the best option for me to present to the organization I was speaking with - and I've already presented that site now to them, and have been told they will be reviewing it.

Thanks,
--
Doug

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

Pretty impressive list of global involvement

Sharksbaja - 9-6-2006 at 11:26 PM

Quite a large institution.

http://www.icfdn.org/partners/partners.htm

I am surprised with their roots and involvement so deep in Baja we haven't seen them mentioned on this site.
I could be wrong but I tried to do a search in Nomads and received an error message not allowing a search. Is this a temporary thang?
It would seem that many would like to search for loved ones' names. Especially since this site has been a focal point for info out of Mulege.

Is there a fix for that anytime soon Doug?

Johnny - 9-6-2006 at 11:37 PM

I went to to the consulate in San Diego yesterday. I recieved this email from them today. I can't read the page (very well)that she said might have road info so maybe someone can look there for road info and translate it.
www.gbcs.gob.mx .
Also as someone else said in an earlier post, they are very busy and don't need to be told what to do, but if you have importasnt questions that they can answer they are there to help. Please be brief, direct and polite. :)

Ms. Johnson,

Thank you very much for your interest in helping the community of Muleje and the state of Baja California Sur after Hurricane John.

For donations, please contact Mr. Germ?n Rosales at the Office of DIF in Mexicali, BC. His phone numbers are (01152) (686) 567-0709, 567-4520 and 567-1339.

I do not know the conditions of the roads to Muleje, but may be at the official state website you can find more information: www.gbcs.gob.mx You may also contact the US Consulate in Tijuana at (664) 622-7400

Have a great day and good luck,

M?nica Adame

Consulado General de M?xico en San Diego

Cooperaci?n en Asuntos Fronterizos, Econ?micos y Pol?ticos/Cooperation on Border, Political and Economic Affairs

619-308-9966

coming down

barnes - 9-6-2006 at 11:41 PM

ordered today from east coast mosquito netting app 10 feet by 50 yards ---deet-in lotion form-and spray for clothes--the deet is supposed to last 20 hours--the spray for clothes is supposed to last for six weeks--VERY IMPORTANT --LEARNED THAT THE SUPER GOOD STUFF FOR THE SKIN-IS GREAT-BUT-IF THE MOSQUITO LANDS ON YOUR CLOTHES--JUST-BITES ANYWAY-THROUGH THE CLOTHES--SO YOU NEED BOTH

BOUGHT A LOT MORE FOR THE SKIN THAN FOR THE CLOTHES--OBVIOUSLY--

hEADING DOWN -=NO LATER THAN THE 22ND OF THIS MONTH-PROBABLY WON'T NEED ANYTHING I BOUTHT BY THE TIME I GET THERE--EVEN BOUGHT A UNIT THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF 3000 GALLONS OF WATER VIRAL AND BIOLOGICAL.\

WILL BRING IT DOWN TRY TO HELP AND LEAVE VERY QUICKLY--HAVE FLIGHT OUT OF LORETO ON 28TH.

WILL BRING MOTORHOME DOWN LATER AND STAY AND HELP REPAIR.
JOE BARNES AND BETTY

EngineerMike - 9-7-2006 at 12:16 AM

Joe & Betty- Once services are restored there will be great need for organized construction (tho methods will no doubt hover around "Baja-crude" but hey, that's Baja).

If you or others know local Habitat for Humanity chapters, or contractor's exchange groups that do this sort of thing, they would make great partners. Properly segregated sand & gravel are the choke point in Mulege; nobody has a portable gravel screening plant, or any other kind so we get whatever happens to get shoveled out of the hillside. If anybody has a solution to that it'd be rocket science and a marvel in Mulege.

to engineer mike

barnes - 9-7-2006 at 12:39 AM

Thanks for the response--I am presently 3 hours from seattle washington---

anyway--the problem in Mulege now is water--which I believe is coming on line-they will or have drinking water now if they can get there to get it.

almost all of my friends there are alive and ok--still looking or a few of them ( my friends there are)

We have about 3 to 4 foot of silt(mud) the water went over our two story home--destroyed everything in it-etc.

now as an engineer--please help-how do we get rid of it--in the house 3 to 4 foot outside--the whole area--how do you even start to clean up until then??\\

There is not the us. I can't even begin how to think about getting the dump trucks and backhoes- etc. neccessary to get rid of.
\
But thank goodness--everybody ( we think is alive and ok))

any suggestions?????

BajaNomad - 9-7-2006 at 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I could be wrong but I tried to do a search in Nomads and received an error message not allowing a search. Is this a temporary thang?

It would seem that many would like to search for loved ones' names. Especially since this site has been a focal point for info out of Mulege.

Is there a fix for that anytime soon Doug?
Corky, in an effort at the moment to streamline the resources this site is using on the server I disabled the search function on an interim basis.

I fired up a new server and hope to have the forums part of the site loaded to that machine a.s.a.p. - hopefully by the morning.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

high speed

Johnny - 9-7-2006 at 01:23 AM

good job, the forum is much faster now than last night.

"The Fire Dept asks for sturdy ROPES."

Johnny - 9-7-2006 at 02:51 AM

Hi again, I've written a letter to try to drum up some donations. If you have any time to forward it to anyone you can think of, ie: big stores, businesses, churches, rich people :), etc... Please feel free to edit, copy, repair, steal, or otherwise use it for the greater good of Baja. I'm going for Home Depot, Lowe's, Teva, mosquito magnet, and smart and final. Let me know who you sent it to so as to not copy each other. Thanks again.

Dear Local Business or Organization,
You may have heard about the devestation that Hurricane John caused in Baja. Please excuse the form letter. I am trying to reach as many people as possible.

Can your business please make a donation to help with the relief efforts currently underway.

Here is a link to some recent photos of Mulege, Baja California. Much of the town was under 10 or more feet of water.: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8h3gwjn.1k6tnnlf&x=0...

Would your business be able to make a contribution? If so let me know what you can give and I will direct you to the organization most able to accept and distribute your donation. I can assure you that you will get confirmation that your gift was received by those who needed it most.

Items currently needed most are:
strong ropes per the fire departments
shoes (particularly river-sandals) and flip- flops and kids shoes
shovels- flat-nose or scoop-type (snow) , & other clean-up implements
bandages & antiseptic
DEET type mosquito repellent
clothing- adults and (most important) children
school supplies
personal hygiene supplies
mosquito netting
cooking equipment
FOOD
water filtration
portable sand/gravel separator
bleach and water purifiers
Tylenol (this will be needed for the mosquito-borne fever, for which other more stomach-irritating fever relief (like aspirin or ibuprophen) will aggravate associated problems)
gas cards for volunteers
cell phones that work in baja
computer help for websites
4x4 vehicles and ATVs
just about anything else.

Here are some quotes:
"WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border"

"Again, the need is water, canned food, flip-flop shoes, and clothes. Medical supplies are also needed."

"The Fire Dept asks for sturdy ROPES."

bedding/Camping Cots/Air Mattresses
Clothing - tho Bruce says for the children we know all sizes are needed - he pointed out that cooler weather is coming.
Shoes/Sneakers
Cooking equipment - Camping Stoves/Pots/Pans/BBQ Utensils
Canned Good/Can Openers"

I thank you so much for reading this. Please forward it to anyone you think might be interested.
Sincerely, April Johnson (760) 755-7035 aprilpickins@yahoo.com
(just a mom in San Diego, concerned about some of my favorite places I've never been to.)
Links:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/ (my page)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/ (lots of info)
http://www.bajaquest.com/hurricanejohn/ ( donate money)
http://mulege.net/forum/ (more info)

Skeet/Loreto - 9-7-2006 at 03:47 AM

God Bless all of You People!!!

There are many out there they would like to Help, that are Physically unable to do so.
Recently I placed many of my "Ole Baja Books" for Sale including an Original "Log of The Sea of Cortez" 1968 Edition along with several of Arnold Senteriff's Baja Airguides/
I will resubmit and sell with ALL the Proceeds going to the Victums of Juan and especially the Poor Mountain People.
Anyone can email me at Sonrisa1821@sbcglobal.net or Call 806-6221821 for the complete Listing and Prices/offers, that way will not Clog up this Great Board.
Anyone going down by Air, remember you can get an old Suitcase and fill it with Clothes -I extra suitcase will usually get through Customs.
I am also working on a large amount of clothing from a Church in Dos Palos Calif{about 15 miles off of Interstate 5 near Santa Nella Calif. and Hwy 152.
Will need some one to go by and pick them up.

Thanks Doug and everyone!!

QuePasaBaja - 9-8-2006 at 01:18 PM

Hi everyone. Havine been raised in Hurricane central I want to pass along some ideas to help.

1st. there are a few ways to deal with the standing water that breeds mosquitoes. First you can pour about one cup of bleach into each puddle that is around your home. This will HELP to kill them as they land, and try to lay eggs, or what not.

2nd. Look for water standing in buckets, and also in trash. Dump it. If you can not dump it, and can not slosh it out, you can add bleach to it, or Carosien to it. But only do that as a last resort.

3rd. And this will stop what is currently in the puddles but not prevent more. Pour boiling water into it.

4th. You can add salt water to the puddles. As strange as that may sound, if the salinity is high enough, the bugs will die.

As for bringing things across the border. Bring what you need, and what is allowed. And then sacrafice some of your for a friend or neighbor that does not have.

Cincodemayo - 9-8-2006 at 01:32 PM

Skeet or Sharks...I got a reply from a gal who owns a netting company that will donate some goods. I don't have a clue who she should send it to though....I'm sending her a link to Bajanomad so she can see the devastation as she liked my idea of the netting donation and maybe some coats with imperfections or just whatever...everything counts!

Mulege relief

fishnbaja1 - 9-8-2006 at 02:24 PM

I will be going to Mulege in 2 to 3 weeks. I work in UCLA med center, so I'll ask if they can contribute any medican supplies.
Does anybody know if it would be better to buy supplies south of the border as opposed to north of it? I want to bring pens, pencils, along with other items I saw listed in one of the posts. I'm concerned about costumes.

Thanks

Baja relief

fishnbaja1 - 9-8-2006 at 02:26 PM

I meant costums as in aduana.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-8-2006 at 06:48 PM

My suggestion:At least take a couple of Suitcases through at Tecate/Tj. I think it is worth the time to go through Tecate. Stop at Ensenada and get your SuppliesI have found that the CalMax store is good for Food Stuffs.
I have always bought Mexicano first. If you are in La Paz there are many locations.
It is suggested that you can take several Gallons of Bleach from anywhere as well as Hammers and Nails, Duct Tape etc. with out any trouble.
The Clothes for the Children will be the number one Item as Winter will be coming and the Kids in the Mountains may not have any thing Warm

God bless you all for being so Caring.

Skeet/Loreto

EngineerMike - 9-8-2006 at 08:11 PM

There is a Costco in Ensenada w/Costco prices. IIWM, I'd buy in Ensenada and avoid the aduana question altogether. There are also a buncha pharmacias along highway 1 thru Endenada & Maneadero just south, even some the size of small Walgreens, tho they don't sell the variety of stuff that a U.S. pharmacy does. They do have bandages & antiseptic & Tylenol...

I tried the "embark" brand of "Hand Pressed Compression Bag" substitutes for Space Bags, sold in the luggage department at Target. They're cheap, and easy to use. Although I repudiated the instructions and used a vacuum to suck the air out; pound on the contents while vacuuming for best results. They are very durable, clear so you can see what's inside, and a pile of T-shirts weighs like a brick when fully compressed. You can also write the contents on them w/a permanent marker for easier ID for distribution. I'm writing in both English & espanol what's inside.

EngineerMike - 9-8-2006 at 08:22 PM

Donations keep rolling in. I see the ICF fund is up to $15.8K:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...

kp_martin - 9-9-2006 at 06:45 AM

Mike,

Our Rotary District Interact (High School) Clubs are working on a project to provide school supplies (backpacks, paper, pencils etc). Originally planned for Cabo, we are tending now towards Mulege. I've been in contact w/Rotarians in Mulege and area. It appears that you have background that could help us in the purchase and distribution which we sorely need since it is too much stuff for me to fly in. Please reply to me via email martins at sisqtel dot net if you can be of assistance.

kevin

BAJAmerican - 9-9-2006 at 10:05 AM

There is a web page onsite in Mulege operated by the local computer guru, Hugo Martinez.
http://www.bahiasdebaja.com with a disaster page link. They are updating daily with news, status and videos.

www.bahiasdebaja.com/huracan/john.asp

also includes donation info on a Local MULEGE existing 501c3 MExican NGO that has worked in Mulege for several years YO SOY MULEGE, A.C. - no need to pass through funds. They are local.

Also, checked with TSA (Transportation Safety Admin) If you are flying commercial, REPELLANT MAY NOT BE ALLOWED in checked luggage. Specific prohibitions against certain insecticides (eg RAID), but may also be interpreted locally as ANY repellant. Better maybe to truck it in.

BAJAmerican - 9-9-2006 at 10:16 AM

One note re ICF. They HAVE been involved in local projects for some time, in cooperation particularly Yo Soy Mulege, A.C. Their normal cut is 30%!

However, I understand that they have WAIVED that for this situation.

Note also, though, that the pass through is via the Santa Rosalia Sister Cities program with Manhattan Beach, CA. If Manhattan Beach is administering the funds, their sister city is Santa Rosalia, not Mulege. Might be good to confirm how it's going to be distributed and where.

BAJAmerican - 9-9-2006 at 10:23 AM

NOte for people driving down- Bring power sprayers. One good way to remove residual mud, after the bulk has been shoveled out.

BAJAmerican - 9-9-2006 at 10:31 AM

comments on needs - ongoing

In observing disasters before, there is a changing cycle of priorities.
1-immediate- rescue & recovery;
2-sustainability of survivors - food, water, shelter;
3-equilibrium- utilities and other services back on, regular access of supplies etc;
4-secondary effects - dengue, pollution of water supplies, animal carcases, cleanup to prevent the results of the first disaster from creating a second;
5-reconstruction - repairing the infrastructures to get back to a sustainable economy

Many of the immediate and sustainability issues are being addressed. The process of equilibrium is beginning to happen now, a week later. Biggest issue now is assessment of what is needed to get back to normal.

There are people without houses. People who worked for people who lost houses now have no income. Encouragement of "2nd homers" to return and manage the disposition of their effects and property. IF the empty ruined houses are not dealt with, it will look like a ghost town for a long time, discouraging subsequent tourism and contributing to disease and destruction - a continuing blight.
Reinvestment is needed. Relocation of families outside the flood zone, and creation of a new residential area(s) nearby. Municipal water electric and other services are there. The tourist economy - boating and fishing and beautiful beaches is still there. But it needs to be rebuilt.

Otherwise you have mini Katrina - 1/3 the population gone with derelict buildings all over.
Part of this is govt... Part, most probably, will have to be private. The Chinese say crisis=opportunity. Well this is a test of that. We need some visionaries to look past the current devastation and see what it could be - as good as before and better, working with the Federal, BCS, and municipal government, plus the foreign tourist community, to create a new Mulege that will offer all the prior advantages and become even better. It won't be easy nor will it be short term. BUt it needs to start now.
We need to immediately begin to work with potential developers to create new residential and commercial development and proivide construction and mortgage financing for builders, buyers and investors. Actively looking for developers with viable projects to lend the money to begin the reconstruction, and create construction jobs in the process.

Bruce R Leech - 9-9-2006 at 06:27 PM

the fire Dept. says they Have more clothing than they know what to do with.

they need bedding, plastic tarps, disposable plats, cups and spoons. , tents and things to set up temp housing Propane stoves and camping type gear.

also it would be a good time to get rid of those old propane tanks that don't work in the US anymore.

bajaden - 9-9-2006 at 09:42 PM

Bruce, I'll be heading down in a couple of weeks. I'll call you to find out what you think I should bring. Give my love to Edith. Your doing a great job. I'm proud of you. Just remembered that I lost Corky's sauce. Damm...

customs

Johnny - 9-9-2006 at 10:52 PM

I spoke with the Secretary of tourism, in TJ. He said canned food is always fine, any other donations, if declared, would surely be waived through. Just make sure you declare what you are bringing and don't bring guns or drugs. Good luck.

BajaNomad - 9-10-2006 at 01:44 PM

Besides short term support and relief efforts - which have been GREAT - what are likely to be the needs over the next few months, or for the next year or so?

I'm thinking about a way to continue with a fundraising effort here on the BajaNomad site (possibly minor), but would want it to be for real need/benefit specific to supporting recovery from the storm.

What would be of real benefit for any further funds that could be raised over the next few weeks/months?

Contact me privately if necessary - even to tell me you question this decision.

Thanks,
--
Doug

Pages:  1