Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Helping Storm Victims
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 03:03 AM
Helping Storm Victims

"NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD NOMADS TO COME TO THE AID OF THE PEOPLE OF MULEGE AND LORETO'

Suggestions: If you are attempting to drive South from the States when the roads open take
Clothes-Pack them in old Suitcases-
Potatoes/Beans--I Sack each of Beans and Potatos will usually get through Customs
Chemicals for treating Water.

The Recovery will last for Months-All depends on getting the Roads open so that supplies can get through.

Depending on the Mexican Govt. and whether or not they will allow some Goods to cross the Border.
There will be People in the Mountains that may have lost all of Their Possessions, Keep them in Mind as Reports come in from such places as San Javier.
After "Lisa"-30 years ago- The most useful Item was Clothing.

Skeet/Loreto

[Edited on 9-14-2006 by BajaNomad]
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:01 AM

Dear Doug, If this is not allowed please forgive .. you know we always extend our helping hands to those in need ...

Dear Amigos and Amigas

We have created the Dos Angels Hurricane John Relief Project with some good people in Las Vegas who will spearhead efforts there ..

Items will be purchased in La Paz or in CSL and driven north to East Cape/Cabo Pulmo/Los Frailles where/as needed ... everything will be distributed at churches ...

We are aware there are many areas in need - we wish to help everyone - realistically we can make a difference within our reach. We send our support to those outside of our reach in need and know an angel will arrange for the assistance needed.

There are many Amigos and Amigas ready to make a difference now & we applaud you ..

We have a USA Wells Fargo account for contributions & paypal also available .. On cabomagic.com click on MAKE A PAYMENT page specify hurricane project.

Road conditions down the peninsula from CA are as yet unknown - Remember the road is nearly 1100 miles long from the U.S.A. border to CSL .. the trip will no doubt take much longer due to washouts etc ...

Your support much appreciated ... every amount helps ... prayers for all and blessings to be counted.

Tommy & Lori Garcia and the extended family and families of CABO MAGIC Sportfishing.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by CaboMagic]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:43 PM
Getting Relief Supplies Across the Border

Can anyone take on the responsibility of learning from the Mexican Government what might be done, or is being done, to make it possible for us to take significant amounts of relief supplies across the border?

I have a LOT of luggage, but it would be stupid and useless to try to "hide" two 3/4 ton pickup beds worth of clothes and food in luggage.

The need will be ongoing for a long time, remember Katrina, I have no doubt that with the network we have and the distance I would drive from here to the border that I could fill my Dodge and my utility trailer with contributions picked up along the way.

I am aching to help. I don't want to get turned away at the border.

There are 2600 of us. We have power and resources and a lot of people we love are hurting.

The Nomad "family" can make a lot of difference in people's lives.

First, finding out about getting supplies across the border.

There must be someone among us with disaster relief training. Please post some recommendations to help the ignorant but good hearted to stay out of trouble.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:23 PM

Good Post; Will someone call the Mexican consule in San diego tommorrow Morning? That will be the first Contact, then the San diego Union.
Skeet
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:46 PM
Mosquito spray

I got a nice u2u from Cindi. It certainly makes sense for everyone who is packing to run south to take all the bug spray they can afford. Both for themselves and to share.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:11 PM

Mosquito netting saved our family after ignacio and marty (and olaf and nora) in 2003. There was no repellent to be bought for any price anywhere but we had a king sized bed with mosquito netting. We practically lived on the bed within the netting during the month of october. Our house had no electricity then and I remember it well was not a pretty picture. Several folks died of dengue here mostly women. I think because women tend to be more sedentary here than men as they're practically chained to washing boards all day long, perfect target for a dengue mosquito bite.

send mosquito repellent
send mosquito netting

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:13 PM

The airport in Loreto is completely functional. Maybe we can do something with Alaska Air Lines and Aero Mexico bringing supplies here then transporting them by boat(s) to Mulege.

barnes

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:50 PM

So_thanks so much--just got to this message board-now know the airstrip in loreto is ok. i guess?

I have a home in mulege--or maybe I do--i have friends there now--or maybe i do. I believe many feel the same way I do. I am app. 2000 miles away-ready to go with one days notice--but - yes I know what to bring--but can I get through--roads-gasoline-water(could bring distillation methods but have to get on line to order_i live in a remote area in the us.) etc.

what happened to us news--no reports at all---that would help--the more news on us tv--maybe then-enough pressure-no problems at border.??? \\

ANY IDEAS ANYBODY??--i CANNOT SPEAK MEXICAN-UN POQUITO--\

i WILL TRY TO CONTACT CNN OR WHOEVER--MAYBE NOBODY HAS?? WHATEVER-----JOE BARNES
FutureBajaRetiree

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:54 PM
Hurricane John Relief Project

Lori @ Cabo Magic and I have started a relief project. We're calling it Dos Angeles Hurricane John Relief Project.
When we came up with the idea the need was in the East Cape area but it looks like the relief is needed throughout Baja. We're only set up for monetary donations thus far with contacts in the East Cape and La Paz for purchasing and distribution of supplies bought at local places like Costco, Soriana, etc. and distributing through the churches. You can donate through Wells Fargo, account # 6196-963505 or send to Wells Fargo Bank, 6110 W. Cheyenne Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada 89108, Attn: GINA REYES or ANNE MARIE. Credit Card donations can be handled through http://www.cabomagic.com/paymentpage.aspx and make it ATTN: Hurricane Relief.
Once we know if Highway 1 is passable from the US, and the Mexican Government is agreeable, we can then start caravans of supplies but at this point, since we just don't know the status of Highway 1, or if the government will be open to the efforts, this seems to be the best course of action that we can do.
Please pass this info on to all your friends and family as the news sources in the states are not covering this tragic story at all. I've been trying to get the news stations here in Vegas and elsewhere in the states to cover the story but have had no luck at all. If anyone can get me video footage of the devastation that could help a lot in the relief effort.
Much love,
Linda Evans

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by FutureBajaRetiree]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:43 AM
Camera crews and sat links

in Mulege?? I doubt it's gonna happen.....ever. Maybe a few submitted AP/UPI photos could prompt a story??

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:49 AM
yahoo group for Baja Relief

I have created a group on yahoo to try to organize some relief. :)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:16 AM
yahoo group bajarelief

Please feel Free to use this message board as you wish. Any advise will be taken to heart. It has been a challenge for me to keep the postings here ( on Nomad) organized in order to see what is happening, what is needed, etc. So I thought I would try to help. Please let me know if it is more confusing than good. I Will try to clean it up tomorrow. Thanks.
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 08:37 AM

As everyone else on this board, we are desparetly concerned for everyone in Mulege. We are so happy to see the numerous relief efforts folks here are undertaking.

We spoke with the US consulate in Tijuana a short while ago and they indicated that they are aware of the situation in Mulege and that personnel had been down the penisula to see the damage. Howver, the women I spoke to also indicated that the MX government had not made any requests for help. Not exactly certain what this means as I was unable to speak to a supervisor at the time. I would suggest that anyone who has a moment call the consulate and inquire about what assistance they can provide in coordinating relief efforts, cutting thru red tape in getting goods imported across the border and perhaps getting our government more involved too. More voices will likely result in more action.

Number of the consulate in TJ is:

(664) 622-7400
From the U.S. 011-52 (664) 622-7400

For our friends down south - know you have so many people working round the clock to get help to you. Hang on and know our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 08:45 AM

Will be down in San Ignaico in about 4 days. What are the chances of setting up a soup kitchen in near the river, have lots of food little money. Will the police go for this? are will they give trouble?

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 08:47 AM

Is anyone keeping a list of who is offering to help and what they've offered? If so could you post it . Thanks a ton.
baja1

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:13 AM
Relief for Mulege

Hurricane John caused major damage in Baja from Mulege down to LaPaz.
According to the Red Cross in Baja North who is coordinating relief efforts for Hurricane John, this is their report as of Sept 5 at 8:00 AM:

That President Vicente Fox was in Mulege (and other areas) yesterday
That he pledged national support for the area
That the water in Mulege is down to normal level
That the roads to Mulege from the north have been fixed or detours have been made
That trucks will be arriving today with relief supplies
That most structures survived the flood however, most in the river sustained heavy damage
That there is major cleanup to be done
That the government is sending in persons to spray for dengue fever as well as vaccinate all the children
And that although Mulege was hit very hard, the major damage was between Loreto and LaPaz.

We have been attempting to contact persons in Mulege who can confirm this information. If you are in Mulege or have a contact that can be reached in Mulege, they need to contact us at jack@bajabushpilots.com.
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:42 AM
Travel info into mexico

Here is a link for what you are allowed to bring into mexico, how you can get there, etc. Check out the special Permits section.
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:52 AM
oops travel info

sorry about the missing link. Here it is. In Adobe Format.

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/information/manual%20i...

Or you can try
www.discoverbajacalifornia.com
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:03 AM
I'd like to direct folks to your hurricane relief area...

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic

We have a USA Wells Fargo account for contributions & paypal also available .. On cabomagic.com click on MAKE A PAYMENT page specify hurricane project.
[Edited on 9-4-2006 by CaboMagic]

BUT- I would rather your website state what's going on with explaination before I do so. So please put something specific within your website in reference to the donations, what they're for, specific instructions displayed prominently on your front page as its not intuitive now. If I point folks from my site to yours in efforts to get funding for disaster relief, then there must be reference to this please. Right now it would just point to another sportfishing operations website without explaination. Thanks

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:10 AM

OK I saw futurebajaretiree's post on the hurricane relief organization with address in Nevada and account information to wells fargo bank also the link for credit card payments to cabo magic's website and that's what I'll post. I didn't mean anything bad by checking on what I would be linking to, I always check.

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.