BajaNomad

Camper Shell advice...

bigzaggin - 9-29-2006 at 12:16 PM

Considering a new camper shell...looking for advice. I currently have the ARE MX (with massive single door hatch & small door inside) which I love for some purposes (especially the roof capacity, stability & headroom) but which has proven to let tons of dust in (door won't secure tightly enough) and lacks real storage options. I am pondering a swich to a more "contractor" style shell and debating between the Leer Journeyman & Gemtop Outfitter, both of which look solid and are brimming with storage and security options. Anyone have either? Preference? Experience? How does the steel body perform offroad compared to fiberglass? Is it "noisy" or shaky? Roof capacities? Any help would be great.

Have you thought about a Callen?

TecateRay - 9-29-2006 at 12:44 PM

I've had Callen campers on my last two 4x4s and they do hold up under off road conditions. The double back door set up gives you excellent access to the pickup bed as well. They make lots of sizes and configurations - probably have one that would work for you.

bajajudy - 9-29-2006 at 03:09 PM

We have a fiber glass shell. It has shaken itself to death. We now have a tie down strap on it to keep it on the truck. It didnt cost but about a grand and it nothing fancy but the fiber glass came apart from the molding. The huge clamps that they put on it are still right where they put them; only the shell has moved...a lot.
Mi dos centavos.

David K - 9-29-2006 at 03:31 PM

A Callen Camper (El Cajon, CA) is Baja Proven! Even over some of the toughest Baja 1000 course, not a failure while I had it on my Tacoma! Here it is a Agua Verde, south of Loreto:

Callen Camper------

Barry A. - 9-29-2006 at 03:47 PM

---------my 43" tall custom built Callen "shell" is now 24 years old, been all over the boonies of Baja, and I have had NO problems with it. It is on it's second truck. It has a huge rear door that opens upwards, and I have maintained the factory tailgate. I have a "open boot" between the camper and the cab, and when I get in the dirt I simply turn the heater fan on high with the windows shut and the positive pressure within the cab and camper keeps ALL the dust out of both. If you get hot just turn on the AC too. You have to have your AC/heater set to suck in outside air (not "inside air") to form the positive pressure within the vehicle/camper.

Callen's are heavy, tho, because of their steel frame, so I had to beef up my bed and the bed side walls to keep the Callen from crushing them on really torky roads in the outback (the camper weighs almost 1000lbs). I only had to do that on my newer '94 Ford truck-----my old ' 69 Ford was so tough it did not need beefing up.

Callen's are great!!!

Oso - 9-29-2006 at 04:53 PM

I had no problems with my Caravan Top, which is still for sale BTW although perhaps not suitable for a "new" truck.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16539

It is all steel, all welded, nothing to vibrate loose, and survived the whoops of the B1k course between Laguna San Ignacio and Scorpion Bay. (I wasn't racing. I got lost). It has some of the characteristics of a contractor shell- good security, but plenty of window. It is one HEAVY mofo tho, hard on 4 guys to lift, impossible for 2 unless they're pro weightlifters.

I will never again waste even $50 on an old wood and aluminum top like the one that disintegrated on the Gonzaga road. Those things are meant for asphalt only.

AmoPescar - 9-29-2006 at 06:36 PM

bigzaggin....REGARDING CALLEN CAMPERS....

I have a Custom built Callen Camper on my Ford F250 P/U which is 5+ years old. It has performed very well under some rough Baja off-road conditions. They are built VERY well with a 1" welded steel frame.

The good part about Callen is they will CUSTOM build it ANY WAY you want. You decide on what type of doors you want, what type of windows, what type of interior configuration, how tall, how wide, exterior, etc., etc. As far as I know, there are NO limitations on what your design can be. I know they build Motorhomes, Fifth Wheel Trailers, Toy Haulers and more. I've even seen Mobile Command Centers, etc. which they've built for Police Dept's.

There most popular model is a model which is about 12’ to 15’ higher than a pick-up cab and has about an 18” cab-over storage section. When I had mine built, I knew that I would be staying in it for a week or more sometimes, and I didn’t want to be stooping over all the time. So, I had mine built with an interior height of 74.” And because I didn’t want a BIG AIR DAM hanging over the edge of the pick-up bed, I had it built only 78” wide. Mine has a very basic interior with only a cab-over 48” deep bed and two 24”X82” benches with cushions.

If there was ONE THING which I wish I’d had them install, it would be a 3-way REFRIGERATOR which runs on Propane, Battery, or 120V.

Here’s a picture of mine…

U2U if you have any questions. Michael

THANK YOU...

bigzaggin - 9-29-2006 at 07:39 PM

I had never even really considered a Callen or a Caravan Top...both of which look amazing (my friend just referred to the Callen as the "Radon of camper shells" [a boater's reference]). A few questions: Do you have to go to Reno to get a Caravan? And if I order a Callen, how long am I gonna be waiting for? And are they SUPER expensive? Will a late model Tundra handle their weight w/o reinforcing the bed walls?

Thank you again for the help. Oh yeah, who wants to buy an A.R.E. MX shell in black? :lol:

AmoPescar - 9-29-2006 at 10:58 PM

bigzaggin....

You're right about the Radon reference. They are preferred by MANY Baja travelers, because they DO stand up to the punishment. I'm not sure about the wait time or the price today. Mine was $3400.00 with the Roof rack which was extra.

They do have a WEB site and you can call them and get some information. Their site has pictures of many things they've built, even a camper on a Hummer. Scott Callen is running the company these days and will probably be the one helping you if you call. They're located in El Cajon, one block off the I-8 at the West Main Street exit.

http://www.callencamper.com

125 S. Marshall Ave. El Cajon, CA 92020 (619)442-3305

Michael :saint:

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by AmoPescar]

Oso - 9-30-2006 at 12:07 PM

Prices appear similar. New Caravans run about $3k. The price on my old one just dropped to $500.
Don't know about shipping or other locations.
Here's their website:
http://www.caravancamper.com/Caravan.swf

Also dropped to $500

Tomas Tierra - 9-30-2006 at 02:49 PM

USED 4 wheel pop top....Oso?? you want it yet?? It needs to go somewhere, bad..

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by Tomas Tierra]

DSCN1089.JPG - 33kB

Oso - 9-30-2006 at 02:56 PM

Trade? :lol:

Actually, let me think about it. Problem is I'm not sure when I can get up that way.

Tomas Tierra - 9-30-2006 at 03:00 PM

starting home remodel in a coupla weeks..needs to go soon!

bajabuddy - 9-30-2006 at 06:40 PM

thomas That is a god price for a pop-up. I've got a snapper pop-up that hasn't been tried in baja yet. Have you had any trouble with yours?

Callen with a "sub-frame?"

TecateRay - 10-1-2006 at 10:04 AM

I had my old Callen on my 1990 Chevy for 10+years and no problems with the bed. Since several friends have had trouble with the beds on newer trucks I planned for this issue on my new truck. For my new truck (2002 Chevy), we built a subframe for the camper which puts all of the weight on the bed flooor vice the bed walls and then had Callen build the camper on this sub-frame. If your off roading is limited, I wouldn't worry too much about the bed, but if you plan on thousands of miles of off roading, especially rough roads, you might want to ask Callen about a sub-frame to help transfer the load to the bed floor.

TacateRay--------

Barry A. - 10-1-2006 at 10:36 AM

----------boy do I second that!!!!! These newer trucks just do not have the structural integrity to support the bigger Callen Campers on rough terraign-------after my 8' bed on my 1994 Ford F-F250 began to crush down almost 3 inches, I had to have the camper and the entire bed removed and the bed-box completely pounded out, beefed up with 1/4" steel plates and steel beams and then put back together-----cost a very reasonable $500, but a huge pain in the rear to have done.

Your idea of a sub-frame being installed BEFORE the Callen is brilliant----wish I had thought of that. Still, so far my "beefed up bed-box" is holding up nicely.

AS previously pointed out, my old '69 F-100 Ford stood up the the Callen for some 18 years with no problems at all-------"the just don't build them like they used to" !!!!

Tomas Tierra - 10-1-2006 at 04:57 PM

Bajabuddy,

No prblems at all with my 4 wheel pop up in Baja, leaks a little, but thats it..If your snapper has a wooden frame and your going offroad, expect to have some problems.

AmoPescar - 10-1-2006 at 08:58 PM

Regarding the subframe...

TecateRay,

I like the idea of a subframe or some other type of extra reinforcement for mounting the Callen. Callen only mounts the Campers using 4 - 3/8" diameter bolts and fender washers. I went to a company which sold steel and bought 4 S.S. plates about 3/16" thick x 5" x 8" which I had drilled, and then I put them under the bed in place of the washers Callen used. I've never had any problem yet, that I know of. After several trips down, I get underneath and make sure they are tightened up.

Amo / Michael

Better mounting for Callen

TecateRay - 10-2-2006 at 02:45 PM

Michael,
I agree with your approach on the mounting plates and I'm sure that will help save the top bed rails from damage as the camper tends to shift with those light weight bolts that Callen uses.

The major damage that most folks are now finding is that the bed itself starts to crack from the weight and pounding the camper creates on dirt roads. By shifting the load bearing from the bed rails to the bed floor you can prevent (or at least minimize) that from happening.;D

TacateRay------

Barry A. - 10-2-2006 at 03:40 PM

everything you say is good advice, but be aware that the heavier Callen Campers will also breakdown the stock bed boxes where they attach to the frame----in other words underneath the bed. The main cross-member at the front of my bed (under the floor) which is only a "pressed" metal channel iron welded to the floor, will bend and/or shear off at the outboard ends, just outboard of the main truck frame members. We had to install a piece of square tubular steel (3 " x 1-1/2") and weld it right behind the factory cross-member. This added "piece" goes beyond the ends of the stock cross-member on both sides, and is about 6 feet long. It appears to do the job, at least so far.

In addition, we sandwiched the bed boxes verticle cab-end sheet metal between two pieces of 1/4 inch Aluminum plate with many rivets-----resulting in the entire bulkhead being just thicker than 1/2 inch. This we had to do as the stock sheet metal had just warped and tore away at the welded parts------there apparently is a LOT of stress on these points when traveling on dirt roads------I found that the whoop-de-doos left by the racers did more damage than anything else, putting way too much stress on everything even at slow speeds.

If I ever started over again, I would add all these beefed up members before ever installing the camper-----much easier to do then, and much cheaper.

(My truck is a 1994 Ford F-250 ext. cab with the long bed, 4 x 4)

Skipjack Joe - 10-2-2006 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
USED 4 wheel pop top....Oso?? you want it yet?? It needs to go somewhere, bad..

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by Tomas Tierra]

TT,

What's the size of the camper?

SJ

Tomas Tierra - 10-2-2006 at 10:48 PM

It came off of a toyota tacoma ex cab..its 7-1/2 feet long..

If you go to "Baja misc." under 4 wheel pop up for sale. it gives a lot more details..I can't figure out the "view thread"thingy..

chino - 10-4-2006 at 07:48 AM

bigzaggin,
I've had a few gemtops and the only plus is side entry. the big negative was the door and lock hardware is really cheap and needed work while still brandnew, all this for about $2800 I'm going to pass on gemtop next time, good luck on your pursuit,

oldhippie - 11-9-2006 at 02:25 PM

Callen campers are heavy but they're great. I had one on a full size chevy 1/2 ton longbed and had to beef up the suspension. Problem is I didn't beef up the cooling system. One hot day while doing 80 or so back from San Felipe the tranny overheated, fluid bubbled up through the dipstick, landed on the exhaust manifold and.......poof, I pulled over when the spark plug wires burned through, it was running rough, and watched my truck burn up, bummer, la casa blanca was totalled. I didn't know it was on fire because all the smoke was behind me.

Fortunately I had the truck AND the camper insured. Used the money to buy my new wife a fat diamond ring, but that's another story.

Now I have an older truck and a smaller camper. I know, I know, I had my priorities mixed up, women will do that. 8^)

Lee - 11-9-2006 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A Callen Camper (El Cajon, CA) is Baja Proven! Even over some of the toughest Baja 1000 course, not a failure while I had it on my Tacoma! Here it is a Agua Verde, south of Loreto:

David:

Any modifications to your Tacoma? Bilsteins or something else?

Looking good!

bajataco - 1-10-2007 at 10:07 AM

FYI, for those using campers on pre-05 Toyota Tacomas...

There are stamped holes in the sheetmetal under the bedrails where the inner and outer bedsides are seamed together. These holes will let a lot of dust in if you don't seal them off. I used some foam weather stripping with a bead of RTV silicone to cover them. It makes a difference. I also recommend installing a tailgate gasket, as the tailgate will let a lot of dust in. I have an ARE shell, and here is some additional gasketing I did to improve the seal:

http://www.bajataco.com/camper/camper_seal/index.htm

DUST PROTECTION

Barry A. - 1-10-2007 at 11:18 AM

For additional dust protection, if you have a "pass thru boot" between the truck cab and the camper, and you close all the windows and put the cab vents on "outside air", turn the AC/heater fan on full blast, you will eliminate ANY dust coming into the camper from outside. (The concept is positive air pressure inside the cab and camper) Has worked for me for years-----you can adjust the inside temp by the heater/AC controls.

David K - 1-10-2007 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

David:

Any modifications to your Tacoma? Bilsteins or something else?

Looking good!

Nope, the Toyota is tough, it has Bilsteins as standard shocks with the TRD package! This camper belonged to my companion on that 15 day trip and after the trip, it was replaced back onto her Tacoma. My truck was newer and had automatic tranny and just overall more comfortable. That's why we used it for the trip.

AndyTanks - 1-28-2010 at 06:50 AM

Think Mods should close this thread. Topic's been inactive.

Regards,
Marie Anch
Commercial vehicle insurance quotes

David K - 1-28-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyTanks

Regards,
Marie Anch

By you replying to it, YOU reactivated (bumped) it to the top!:o:light:

Is the information invalid now? Is Callen Campers no longer available?

monoloco - 2-1-2010 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyTanks

Regards,
Marie Anch
Great first post, should fit right in here.

Barry A. - 2-1-2010 at 11:10 PM

Ok, I will bite. It is 3 years later now and my CALLEN camper is still going strong with absolutely no problems since my last post in 2007. My CALLEN is now close to 27 years old.

Don't know if they are still in business in El Cajon, but I think they are.

Barry

PabloS - 2-5-2010 at 10:25 PM

Callen is still in biz, I just talked with them 3 weeks ago about a new shell. Our old shell was purchased in 2001 and had no problems with it in over 1000,000 miles and many of those were in Baja on back country roads. Sold it with old Ford and now need a new on for the new Ford.

Whale-ista - 2-22-2013 at 03:02 PM

Need advice/suggestions re camper for small truck to take south. Considering buying a used Callen I found for $800 for camping etc. and found this old thread.

Would any Callen owners care to post updates? Would you still recommend? Has yours held up over time and rough roads? And how much does a 24" cab over reduce gas mileage and effect driving?

Learned from salesman Callen has closed operation, but their products were not the reason. He estimates the camper weighs about 250 lbs. I have a lifted suspension on my pickup so it should be ok.

Over time may want to add roof rack for kayaks. Would the Callen handle the extra weight ok?

Thank you for any advice, suggestions, reviews of your Callen gear.

Barry A. - 2-22-2013 at 04:34 PM

I had CALLEN build me a custom camper shell in 1983. It sits on the side-rails of my '94 Ford F-250 4x4 now. It is 43 inches tall, with a 15 inch tall (4' deep) over-cab extended luggage compartment, making the entire camper shell 12 feet long. It weighs 800 lbs empty, including a steel roof-top CALLEN-built rack that covers the entire roof. I have carried close to 1000 lbs on that roof-rack with no problems. It has been all over out-back Baja, as well as out-back Utah. I have had no problems with the camper in 30 years, no leaks, no structural problems, even tho much of the time I have hauled a 14 foot GREGOR alum. boat on top with a lot of gear up there too. It has never been garaged, nor has it been covered with anything. The only problem I have encountered is that on a terrible road in Utah the camper crushed parts of the Ford side-rails right behind the cab, and I had to have them rebuilt and beefed up-------no problems since. I don't believe you could ever go wrong with a CALLEN, based on my experience. It's built like a tank!!!

Barry

David K - 2-22-2013 at 04:54 PM

2006 thread bumped in 2010, and bumped again in 2013.... Callen can sure handle the bumps in the road... I do believe the El Cajon company failed because the son couldn't produce product the way his dad did? A steel frame camper is the king in Baja.

bacquito - 2-22-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
I've had Callen campers on my last two 4x4s and they do hold up under off road conditions. The double back door set up gives you excellent access to the pickup bed as well. They make lots of sizes and configurations - probably have one that would work for you.

It is my understanding that Callen Camper is out of business.
I have one and like it a lot.

Whale-ista - 2-22-2013 at 05:18 PM

thanks for feedback. They do seem to be built like tanks.

Sadly, I heard the family Business failed due to mismanagement, not bad products but poor service when dad moved on.

woody with a view - 2-22-2013 at 07:04 PM

thanks for using the search function and reviving a 3 year old thread!!!! SEARCH is your friend-in more ways than 1....:light:

[Edited on 2-23-2013 by woody with a view]

RnR - 2-22-2013 at 09:47 PM

Caravan Camper is still building RUGGED camper shells.

http://www.caravancamper.com/

Have had two of them. The shells hold up to anything.

The front bed crossmember on my Ford F250, not so well. After some reinforcement, the truck/shell combo has logged 60,000 miles. A LOT of it on baja dirt.

larryC - 2-23-2013 at 08:43 AM

I talked to Jimmy Callen this past summer, he claims he is going to make some custom camper shells out of his garage on a special order basis. He kept some of the shop equipment when he sold the business. If I was going to put a steel framed camper shell on a newer truck I would have the shell made as a slide-in style so the weight sits on the bed of the truck and not on the bed rails.The shell I have now is that way and allows you to have the shell made wider which in turn allows the istallation of camper jacks for easier removal of the shell if you need to take it off. Also gives you alot more room in the shell.

Barry A. - 2-23-2013 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
I talked to Jimmy Callen this past summer, he claims he is going to make some custom camper shells out of his garage on a special order basis. He kept some of the shop equipment when he sold the business. If I was going to put a steel framed camper shell on a newer truck I would have the shell made as a slide-in style so the weight sits on the bed of the truck and not on the bed rails.The shell I have now is that way and allows you to have the shell made wider which in turn allows the istallation of camper jacks for easier removal of the shell if you need to take it off. Also gives you alot more room in the shell.

That is an excellent idea Larry, and I completely agree. The side rails, and the front cross-over rail, on these newer trucks cannot handle the weight of a loaded CALLEN shell on the rough stuff. Of interest, I had my 800 lb. CALLEN on a 1969 Ford F-100 for years with no bed-structural problems-----a much tougher truck bed than you find now. The alternative is to do some major upgrades to the bed sides and front member behind the cab, which is a pain and expensive, I found, but it does work.

The only changes I have made lately to my CALLEN is to replace all the rusting exterior screws with stainless screws, and to recaulk all the exposed window and roof seals with clear silicon jell. The seams never really leaked before (maybe a tiny bit), but it looked like they might as they had dried out, thus the silicon gel just to be sure it won't leak in the future. I paid $1,300 for my custom special-order CALLEN in 1983 which included the massive roof-rack, and complete installation on my truck at CALLEN in El Cajon. At 800 lbs and a shell, it's a bugger to load and unload without a sky-hook and a special harness, so I almost never do----------Larry's suggestion would make things really a lot easier.

Barry