BajaNomad

Targeting Wahoo.

Alan - 11-20-2006 at 08:55 AM

Wahoo is a fish that I really want to cross off my list of fish I haven't caught yet but basically I don't know a thing about them so I'm looking for any advice I can find on how to target them. It seems in all of the reports on catching them they seem to be more of a by-catch when pursuing marlin or tuna.

Are they open ocean or do they relate to structure? I hear reports of them being caught in the vicinity of different islands but I don't know if they are an off-shore species or if they frequent inshore waters just as often? The only advice I have been able to get from a couple of pangueros is to drag Marauder type lures close to the boat but not sure of the best speed for those style lures (I have been dragging them about 7 kts). Judging by the responses to other posts I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge here that can assist me in this pursuit.

Osprey - 11-20-2006 at 09:42 AM

Hi, down here at East Cape it's all about structure. I don't target them because the best and closest structure where they are caught is a Marine Reserve -- no fishing within 5 miles of shore (the reef they haunt is just off shore). You're already set up for em as far as I'm concerned -- marauders on heavy wire, 7 knots sounds about right. Think purple no matter what the sky.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-20-2006 at 10:21 AM

Alan: If trolling off Catalana Island South of Loreto;
Catch a School of Tuna coming around the South Tip heading North on the Inside. Drop back behind the School and Troll as near to the Schooling Tuna's Speed as Possible. I always used 40Lb. Line with a 50Lb Leader, Red or Purple Lure. Sept. Oct. was best for me.

Good Luck
Skeet/Loreto

Summanus - 11-20-2006 at 10:28 AM

I personally have never caught one of these speedsters, but a friend in Mulege did a few years ago. It was a fighting 70 lber and was dee-licious at their dinner party. I believe he caught this while trolling for tuna which were under a large group of porpoise. I remember the purple feather.

M - 11-20-2006 at 01:58 PM

I have had one experience with Wahoo while on a long ranger. We were after tuna and were dragging feathers (I use purple/black for grey days, 'Mexican Flag' colors on sunny days, no others). The middle rod got hit BIG TIME and was just peeling off the line, turns out, the guy was pulling a bare cedar plug. When he finally got it in, it was a 50lb Wahoo. I and another guy switched to plugs, and as soon as they were in the water, we both got hit. Mind you, the Wahoo had to pass over the feathers to get to the plugs. When my troll time was up, I was offered $10 to 'rent' my plug. Of COURSE I took it.:smug:
M
P.S We were in open water

FARASHA - 11-22-2006 at 05:17 AM

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PHOTO? Would like to see what the WAHOO looks like - never seen one, or maybe I did and don't know! :?:

Wahoo photo and info

Summanus - 11-22-2006 at 06:52 AM

Here are some wahoo facts I researched. The photo below shows a big wahoo taken off Panama's west coast. Makes me want to inspect that part of the world!

Species Facts

Science Name: Acanthocybium solandri
Other Names: ono, oahu fish, Pacific kingfish, ocean barracuda
Ideal Temp: 70 to 80
World Record: 158 lbs. 8 oz, Mexico
Environment: offshore
Techniques: heavy tackle, trolling

Fishing tips: If using bait, one angler suggests using bonita strips. Use mullet if they are not available.

p.s. Soon..soon, I shall be fishing in Baja! I really don't expect to catch anything like this monster wahoo, but who knows? I've already caught the fishing fever, so time will tell.

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by Summanus]

- wahoo Panama -.jpg - 28kB

FARASHA - 11-22-2006 at 08:11 AM

THANKS for the Pic, Summanus.
They look like Barrakuda I have seen elsewhere, but not THAT size!!
WHOW - what a beautiful creature.
Keep us updated if you catch something interesting - Please with PIC'S!!!!

Very good point Farasha

M - 11-22-2006 at 10:13 AM

It should be mentioned again about the teeth. The Wahoo is almost the same as a baracuda, so the teeth are fearsome little razor blades. 'Wire leaders are the only safe bet for keeping your hook-up.
Wahoo (& baracuda) will keep trying to bite you, so throwing it down loose on the deck is not a good idea. The giant squid will also go after your ankles if your not paying attention.
M

bill erhardt - 11-22-2006 at 12:50 PM

Alan...... Here's a picture of one of many wahoo I caught on the East Cape, none close to a marine park, but all within striking distance of Los Barriles. Speed up a little bit with that marauder, actually Yo-Zuri Bonitas are the best, and put an orange and black back there with the purple. Send me an email and I will tell you where I have found consistent wahoo action down there. Did you decide against Mag Bay this year?

ECWahoo (Small).jpg - 46kB

kellychapman - 11-22-2006 at 01:13 PM

NICE FISH.......but then again you know how to catch them all!!!!!! Farasha would love to go fishing with you for a really great time.....

Alan - 11-22-2006 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Alan...... Here's a picture of one of many wahoo I caught on the East Cape, none close to a marine park, but all within striking distance of Los Barriles. Speed up a little bit with that marauder, actually Yo-Zuri Bonitas are the best, and put an orange and black back there with the purple. Send me an email and I will tell you where I have found consistent wahoo action down there. Did you decide against Mag Bay this year?

I had to cancel all plans for Baja this year because it has been an especially nasty and long fire season. It actually started this year in January and there's no sign of it slowing yet. It seems that if we weren't out on fires we were trying to play catchup in between on all of the work that piled up while we were out. The final straw was the Esperanza Fire that burned over an engine and killed all 5 firefighters. These were guys that I and many of the other guys I fish with had worked with for many years. Hopefully next year is going to be better. I can't imagine one being even worse.

[Edited on 11-23-2006 by Alan]

Tomas Tierra - 11-22-2006 at 11:47 PM

Science Name: Acanthocybium solandri
Other Names: ono, oahu fish, Pacific kingfish, ocean barracuda, Razor Toothed Surface Torpedo!

wahoo

BajaDanD - 11-23-2006 at 12:22 AM

Cought this one with a Wahoo Bomb dropped down 100 feet then cranked up as fast as possible. One thing, When you hook a Wahoo dont ever stop reeling even if you are not gaining any line If you stop for one second or pump the rod like you would on a tuna you will loose it. They usually just garb on to a jig and dont let go as long as you are pulling. Their mouths are so hard that hooks hooks rarely set. They may look like a Bari kind of but the teeth are all fused togather and could easly bite your hand off at the rist, bone and all. Where a Bari's teeth would just leave some knarly punctures. They are one of the fastest fish out there and have been known to jumb 10+ feet in the air and follow jigs right into boats. Ive seen them grab jigs at the serface and pull then let go and send jigs flying into peoples faces. I think they are the most fun to catch of any fish out there.

wahoo 1.jpg - 33kB

Wahoo

BajaDanD - 11-23-2006 at 12:24 AM

This Wahoo was cought on a Murader while trolling at 9 knots

wahoo.jpg - 37kB

FARASHA - 11-23-2006 at 04:06 AM

BDD:Had to laugh first - as I saw first the little one on 2nd pic when opening the thread. Seems like a BABY you caught there! Are they worth it? I mean, makes at the max 1 filet?
Always thought they are released when too small. So they get a chance to grow up and multiply.
But the BIG one is stunning!whoa - hard fight to get him?
From your description how they can interact, I would think it's wise to use a face protection as in ICEHOCKEY :biggrin:
Thanks a lot for the nice pic's guys.

Yeah - Kelly is right, would love one day to go out and watch it, or even Video it. Preferably from UNDERWATER - would be a great perspective - UH?

Finally - AND WHAT IS A WAHOO BOMB?

Mike Supino - 11-25-2006 at 10:22 AM

Go to: http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc9.htm
For pictures.

FARASHA - 11-25-2006 at 12:35 PM

Mike -Thank you for the informative Link!

BajaDanD - 11-26-2006 at 10:48 PM

The little one was cought on a Murader the was as big as the fish. it had to be brought aboard to remove the hook. I took the picture but did not catch it I dont remember if it survived or not. I'm sure that none of us would have kept a Wahoo that small. It did however give us reason for a lot of teasing.

Wife caught this one

BajaDanD - 11-26-2006 at 11:13 PM

A 79lbr beat out my biggest by a pound She wont ever let me forget it either. That little one was caught at the same time as we were catching the bigger models. I hooked a 60+lbr right at the boat just as I stopped reeling and was lifting my rod tip to bring the bomb out of the water it came out from onder the boat and grabbed the bomb then took me around the 105 ft boat twice then let go of the bomb just as the deckhand gaffed it. It was never hooked it just wouldnt let go.

Wahoo 2.JPG - 34kB

JG - 11-27-2006 at 10:37 AM

Have caught a few and have found a slightly higher troll speed (8-9 kt) helps with a higer speed jig ...door knobs etc... 30 ft behind the boat....and when hooked leave the boat in gear to keep their head pointing at the boat. They dont have the shoulders of a large Dodo or Tuna so keep them pointed the right way and it can be a short fight..Good Luck!

The Sculpin - 11-27-2006 at 10:19 PM

wimps!

Try it this way!!!!

http://www.freedive.net/ibsrc/fish_pgs/wahoo_page.htm

Alan - 11-28-2006 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
pu*sies!

Try it this way!!!!

http://www.freedive.net/ibsrc/fish_pgs/wahoo_page.htm

Knock yourself out. Personally I prefer to remain at the top of the food chain.

I plan to continue to stay in my boat to ensure there is never any ambiguity about who is the hunter and who is the hunted.

Minnow - 12-6-2006 at 09:10 AM

On one of my first driving trips to Cabo, my buddy and I car topped a 14ft valco. We made friends with some of the pangeros who fished out of La Playita, and they let us camp infront of their "tackle store". We then followed them out to the Gordo banks the next mourning, and started to troll. These guys were doing everything they could to get us on the fish. Once one of them would hook something they would motion us to start trolling in a circle around them. On one pass we hooked a 50lb wahoo. Man, talk about exciting. We also caught a small marlin, and several dorado, along with a bunch of other stuff on the same trip. I don't know if the pangeros thought we were brave or stupid. I do remember having lots of laughs with them though.

Oh, the lure was a black and purple 'wahoo special'. The kind with that wierd shiny stuff on it.