BajaNomad

A new answer to an old question?

Summanus - 12-30-2006 at 01:17 PM

I have been on the prowl lately for thee best...(and simplest to use)...........KNIFE SHARPENER. What do you think is the best and why?

I use the good quality, but plain, white-handled filet knives for most work. Mostly Dexter-Russels on the boat as they are readily replacable. I will not filet a fish or anything else with a dull knife so I am sharpening edges a lot of the time. And....I am always glad to hear of a better way of doing things.

I have a pretty good collection of sharpeners to date.

So far, I like the regular diamond-dusted steel darts to keep an edge on the knives, also this combo metal/ceramic V-setup in the photo below, but it is a little awkward at times in close quarters and rocking seas. Lansky's are another favorite.

What's YOUR best method and choice of sharpener?

[Edited on 12-30-2006 by Summanus]

- a-2 (Small).jpg - 34kB

Cypress - 12-30-2006 at 03:03 PM

Those "V" sharpeners will eat a blade up in a hurry. I'd go with a stone, then a leather strap.:bounce: Some things are best done with a knife that's somewhat dull, such as skinning a filet.:spingrin:

Diver - 12-30-2006 at 04:23 PM

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

No question, the best system I have ever seen and the sharpest results.
It takes all the operator error out of the equasion.
Not cheap, but what is ??
The owner is a real sharpening geek and loves to talk.
They are in Hood River.

Skeet/Loreto - 12-30-2006 at 05:08 PM

Just do as the Mexicanos do-A good Sandstone or regular sharpeningStone used for many years is still the Best..Ever watch a Mexicano fishemand sharpen his Knife? Try it.
Skeet/Loreto

Summanus - 12-30-2006 at 05:58 PM

Thanks much for the tips, but I have done all the things mentioned many times over...I am looking to add something new to my knowledge.

Skeet..I have owned and sharpened those old bolo-like knives made out of spring steel for 30-odd years. Also use the stone frequently. I have a couple in leather sheaths as wall decor in my den.

I must politely disagree, Cypress...It has been my experience nothing will cause more injuries than a dull knife...especially when filleting/gutting many large fish with tough skins, for which a dull knife is useless. Not to mention the other chores for which a sharp knife is required. My experience has been that the combo V-sharpener I am using in the photo works very well for many sharpenings. I don't feel it uses up the steel as quickly as a large hone. Perhaps you have used a different element.

Diver, I will contact and yak with the knife whisperer...he/she sounds like a kindred soul.;)

Capt. George - 12-30-2006 at 06:41 PM

edgeproinc gave me a headache.........

Summanus - 12-30-2006 at 06:57 PM

You should have had it with a little tonic and lime, perhaps?

Diver, I hate to say this, but upon seeing it, that edgepronic is known to me also....and is good for a commercial site operation, but does not lend itself well to a fishing boat or my deer camp. We are talking small and portable here....something for a pack or console. I am really not this hard to please...I swear!

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 05:07 AM

hey stinky, where is your deer camp?

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 08:02 AM

I don't even talk in my sleep about where our deer camp is, skippy. IF you were told, I would have to field dress you...or my hunting buddies would! ;)

Seriously, some favorites are Ft. St. James, BC, Powder River SE Montana, Badlands Little Missouri ND , high desert NM, and fresh burns almost anywhere..especially near high desert. I don't mind traveling to hunt...on this continent from the Sonora desert to Alaska to NW & Central Canada (a neighbor hunts on Prince of Wales Island..maybe close to your area of Coffman Cove). Hyder area for me. Mulies are my choice for most hunting...whitetails in the bottoms . I avoid any place east of Old Miss.

Those little Florida whitetails are kind of overrunning the neighborhood, aren't they? I hear they will eat your lawns overnight and have your flowerbed for breakfast. Lots of PETA members moved in, huh?

What's your favorite tool and method for a quick, in-camp, sharp edge?

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 08:13 AM

my switch blade from my teen years is still pretty sharp! I'm gonna be shootin a lot of black tail up in Prince od Wales AK

When ya comin up? My lake house is being overrun by gators..took 2 out so far, a 9 and a 10 footer....Florida is being over run by everything and everybody...house 4 sale

we're off to Coffman Cove AK and Punta Abreojos..

Did a little pig huntin here in Florida, but your odds increase with a good and proven "pig call"

Oh, by the way, if you field dress me, I'm partial to pink Tutus

the captain

Skeet/Loreto - 12-31-2006 at 09:21 AM

Had 42 Deer in my Front Yard a couple of Days ago! one a 300 Lb. 10 Point Buck. These are protected , as of yet we do not have problems other than the Does produce Tripletts often.

Shrade at one time made one of the best Skinning Knives that I ever Sold. It keeps its Edge perfect most of the time with a Stone Sharpner/

Good Luck and Watch out for George- He will Scare you when you least expect it!! You should always be on Guard with those Nu York Street Fighters.

Skeet/Loreto

Skeet...we'll invite him to our deer camp.

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 09:31 AM

An old Baja hand fits in with us. Thanks for the Shrade tip. A good blade.

One of our northern camps. Think of it as Baja with glaciers.

Hunts - Deer-Elk Camp BC.jpg - 48kB

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 09:43 AM

I don't know if I'm going there...it reminds me a little of Deliverance. Hey, that big guy on the porch, are those antlers coming out of his head?

Skeet, I'll go if you come along to protect me..

good huntin y'all

Lil Abner

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 09:47 AM

Now how the heck did you guess we were all extras and advisors for "Deliverance", Capt. George? Well, shucks, son...we'll be real gentle with ya'all.

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 10:10 AM

I still need to know whats comin outa that guys head?

what about the dead guy in the dirt?

Oso - 12-31-2006 at 10:27 AM

Gotta agree with the Skeeter man, even if he can't spell "Schrade".:lol: I'm still using a Schrade Uncle Henry that I "won" when I registered a 9 pt. Whitetail at the Eldorado store in the Uwharrie NF, central NC, back in 1985. Have skinned many, many critters of all sizes, never used anything but a stone and it's still in fine shape. But then, I ain't very sophisticated about such things.

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 10:41 AM

well I guess I ain't gettin no biters on the "pig call" am I???

here goes, move on over women libbers, or take a seat.

ahem, ahem, Do you come to this bar often sweetheart?

A Male Chauvanist Pig, I'm 61, I can't help myself...surely you understand.

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 10:45 AM

Oso, I was being polite when repying to Skeet's Shrade/Schrade reference. He had the brand right, just can't spell worth a darn.:rolleyes:

Those little Uncle Henry blades are okay for those puny rabbit-deer back east, but we have to use machetes out west just to cut some backstraps for a snack.:yes:

George...yes, that is my Uncle Norm with the horns. Born that way, as most of that side of the clan was when Granny was taking all that thalidomide. The one on the ground is cousin Rufus...shot dead by a city slicker and laid out to stiffen a bit 'fore we planted him near the rose bushes. Waste not, want not ..is our motto.

Oso - 12-31-2006 at 12:15 PM

Well, Pedoro, you could be right about that. That Carolina niner didn't weigh much more than me and only dressed out 175# for the freezer after guttin & skinnin. I live on the AZ border now and look forward to a nice muley someday. Trouble is, what they have in size they lack in numbers. I don't much care for this lottery crap or what they call a "hunt" here, i.e. a week or less in one very small designated area. Back home we always got half a dozen tags with the license, usually including one for doe and one for "hunter's choice", with a 4 month season (starting with Bow in September). I always did best during muzzleloader season. The hard part was NOT hitting one with your truck, they have indeed become pests and are more plentiful than rabbits.

My neighbor and his son got back to the linea last night with 3 nice Sonoran muleys but had to leave them and their truck with friends in SLRC and walk across because the P-nche migra have slowed crossing to a three to four hour crawl.

Cypress - 12-31-2006 at 01:06 PM

'Bout those knives for skinning deer etc., Buck or Case, folding blades. :bounce: A good saw is a must.:bounce:Fileting fish? :?:The jury is still out on that. :D Use two knives. One to cut the filet, very sharp, another to shave the skin from the flesh, not quite as sharp.;)

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 01:15 PM

Oso, nice to meet another Nomad hunter. We have enjoyed outdoor hunting sports all our lives... before it became 'off-topic', so to speak. ;)
Best not go there..I fear we are outnumbered!

I agree on those lottery or bid hunts...for oil shiek-geeks or mega-rich trophy hunters. There is private place in New Mexico where 4 permits are bid on per year....not a thing I want to do. We are free-lance in most everything and used to doing things for ourselves, including a lot of Baja-related activities. I, too, prefer using the smokepole for close stalking and finding the mark within 100 yards or less. Glad you sensed the humor on eastern whitetails..big they are, but crowded.

I grew up bow-hunting with a Browning Magnum recurve 62lb. short bow in some of the best mule-deer and antelope ranges in the west. I would get out long before dawn ..sit quietly in the woods and become one with nature. I would sit so still the squirrels would steal the peanuts from my vest pocket. My wife often says I have not forgotten this skill. Are you married or can you do pretty much as you please?

Plenty more deer, elk, antelope, turkeys, etc. these days than ever before in US history...thanks to our Game & Fish departments and sportsmen's efforts. But..we have far too many roadkills around our place, too. When you are out driving here, those 'eyes' show up too often...keep alert! That fine hair drifting in over the radiator always makes my nose itch.

The return from hunting in Sonora is a real pain in the burro.

Hey, y'all turn up that there dueling banjo music, grover! Or better yet, play Ravel's Bolero for old time's sake...ah, that brings back memories!

stir..stir...stir

Summanus - 12-31-2006 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
'Bout those knives for skinning deer etc., Buck or Case, folding blades. :bounce: A good saw is a must.:bounce:Fileting fish? :?:The jury is still out on that. :D Use two knives. One to cut the filet, very sharp, another to shave the skin from the flesh, not quite as sharp.;)

I agree, Cypress. Bucks have always been a carry-along for me. Case was my childhood folder. Remember those mumbley-peg times! Watch out for the toes!

But for filleting fish: Some skins are super tender, like brookies, cuts, lakers, walleyes, sierra, pintos, etc...some are real hides, like sharks, pargo, triggers, etc. I know what you mean about using a duller knife 'sometimes' to get the skin off a filet, but after literally doing thousands of fish over my lifetime commercially and as a sportsman, I can say that MOST OFTEN a sharp blade will win the day. We agree to disagree..and nice to yak with you about fish.

I'll bet my fishing buddy below wishes that he had used a sharper blade! ;D

(I didn't cut his head off to protect his identity, it's just because he is SO dang ugly.)

- bloody decks.jpg - 42kB

Capt. George - 12-31-2006 at 02:19 PM

banjos, we don't need no stinking banjos! that's what cousins is fo, we play wiff dem....

pig call do any of you get it??

sorry bout Rufus and Granny, thalidamide or did they lie to you? Maybe granny was married to her big brother?? just askin Lucias...

One mo thing, if'n I hunt wif yo fellas, can I ride Uncle Norm?? yeehah!

Oso - 12-31-2006 at 04:28 PM

For skinning triggers- a good pair of pliers.

Grover, my furry blue friend, I much prefer Rathergood's "We like the moon".

Speaking of backstraps; My neighbor just gave me some from one of those Sonora muleys. Any good recipes? I'm tired of worcestershire sauce, thinking about Italian dressing and in the oven a short while or would the grill be better? I'm guessing somewhere between 1 to 2 lb.

On a different note, Customs is really peeing a huge load of people off with exaggerated and purposefully slow inspections, at least here at San Luis and Algodones. Old farts (older than me) who can't depend on "Depends" are losing their places in the 3 hr. pedestrian line when they have to bail out to attend to physical necessities. The vehicle line hardly moves at all and stretches back all the way through town and down both sides of Mex 2. Many are complaining that they are treated "like terrorists" just for getting a few meds at the farmacias. Algodones dentists are crying about the loss of business. This is BS.:mad:

Oso-----

Barry A. - 12-31-2006 at 05:08 PM

FINALLY they are beefing up the border inspections!!!! 50% of the folks want the border checks more stringent and thorough, and the other 50% want them more liberal.

Who is right??? Well, if some terrorists slip thru the border guess who is going to howl the loudest????? Yep, the lefties, that's who.

I vote for stiffer border inspections, and I am willing to put up with the inconvenience (or not go down there at all).

(You brought it up) :spingrin:

Barry

Oso - 12-31-2006 at 05:45 PM

Yeah, can't be too careful about all those octegenarian, blue haired suspicious characters with their walkers and Hawaiian shirts. Likely Al Qaeda indeed! Heaven forbid we should engage in -gasp- racial profiling! :o

If that's the way you feel about it, tocayo, be prepared to sit in line for several hours and bend over for the finger wave. Oh, and be ready for $10 lettuce. If you only go to Baja once or twice a year, maybe you can deal with that. Those of us who live along the border think this is bullchit. Our farmers are paying $9/hr for labor and plowing under fields of prime crops because they can't get enough hands to pick it.

Barry A. - 12-31-2006 at 06:02 PM

WE have roughly 12 to 15 million "workers" already in this country---------where are they????

Cypress - 1-1-2007 at 06:53 AM

There's a "catfish skinner" on the market, been available for years, looks sorta like plyers, but is made specially for skinning fish.:spingrin:
About that backstrap! :) A little butter or olive oil is all you need.:spingrin:;D

Oso - 1-1-2007 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
WE have roughly 12 to 15 million "workers" already in this country---------where are they????

My guess would be all over the country, in restaurants, hotels, construction crews and packing houses. Our problem here in Yuma County is not with illegals. There is so much BP "heat" around here that the illegals don't hang around to work in the fields, it's too risky. They slip in, get stashed in safe houses and smuggled on by the coyotes. For many years, the lettuce harvest has depended on SLRC residents with legal visas to cross daily up to a 25 mile limit. The current problem is that the inadequate POE facilities and exaggerated slowdown with processing is making it too difficult for the legal workers to get across. To report for work at 6am, they need to get in line at 2am. Not much time left for sleeping. Retail businesses on both sides are also hurting. It's just too much hassle to come here for shopping or go there to dine out.

Oso-----

Barry A. - 1-1-2007 at 10:55 AM

Excellent response, and excellent "point".

I stand down.

Border watch...Northern Division

Summanus - 1-1-2007 at 11:54 AM

US/CANADA MINUTEMAN SNIPER

Those dang Canucks will NOT get all our mall's good bargains home!

- Hunts - Deer-Elk Camp (3).jpg - 42kB

Alan - 1-1-2007 at 12:50 PM

I find it amusing that they are hiding in your neighborhood. They are standing on the corner in my neighborhood every morning. Never could figure out why local law enforcement totally ignores them. I suppose they need probable cause so as to not be accused of profiling.

Still not sure how this thread got here from knife sharpening?

back to knife sharpers

Summanus - 1-1-2007 at 01:15 PM

Well, okay, if we must...here's some tips on the sharpening process.

The mistakes commonly made in sharpening are uncontrolled edge angles, failure to establish a new edge, and leaving the edge too rough.

The keys to success are:

1) Use an angle guide to control the edge angle,

2) Sharpen until you raise a burr, and

3) Hone or polish the edge smooth.

Some stones I have seen state that you should hone like 'trying to slice a thin layer or a decal off the stone.' This is bad advice, and here's why: most people won't hold a constant angle this way. the sure-fire way is to use a guide to maintain edge angle.

- honing angle.jpg - 14kB

Oso - 1-1-2007 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I find it amusing that they are hiding in your neighborhood. They are standing on the corner in my neighborhood every morning. Never could figure out why local law enforcement totally ignores them. I suppose they need probable cause so as to not be accused of profiling.

Still not sure how this thread got here from knife sharpening?

My apologies for getting us "off-topic" here. Skinning knives led to hunting and that led to my neighbor's difficulty getting back across the border from a Sonoran hunting trip. One more comment on your comment and then, yes let's get back to knife sharpening please. The reason the mojaditos hide here is because they are being actively hunted by hundreds of BP agents with a major operations post and 24 hr. patrols. That's their job and they're pretty good at it. The only reason any get through is sheer volume and some luck. The reason other law enforcement personnel don't want to get involved is simply because they figure they have enough to do already, are not trained in immigration matters and don't want the extra burden. Politicians in some areas are trying to force that role on local cops. In other areas, there have long been subtle pressures from the business community to leave things as they are. One thing most BP and other LE personnel around here agree on is that they are both trained professionals in their respective areas of expertise and they don't need any amateur gun-toting vigilantes getting in the way.

Now, back to them blades. That angle guide does look like it helps to get a more correct edge- back home at the garage workbench. But what about in the field or, as mentioned, on a rolling deck?

Cypress - 1-1-2007 at 02:46 PM

Is that dude sitting up behind my house?:tumble:

Sharpeners for the boat or camp

Summanus - 1-1-2007 at 03:19 PM

Oso..Lansky makes a handy folding ceramic rod sharpener called Fold-A-Vee. It folds for easy carrying and features two angle settings for filet and hunting knives. This may be the best camp/boat sharpener out there that I have found, but is not as handy in a boat or campsite as the following two.

There are gimmicky hand-held V-sharpeners that are mostly junk, but one or two are okay in a pinch. You put the blade against a gunnel or bulkhead... edge-side up and carefully, but firmly, draw the sharpener down it's length. A quick-fix.

The first is a very good one handheld for only $2 at most sporting goods stores. The Normark knife sharpener is a slot gadget that really works...and at 2 bucks everyone should have one or two. It has two sets of ceramic rods set at 20 degrees. The medium gray rods sharpen and the fine white rods hone. I have used it to restore a slightly dull blade to shaving sharpness. At $2, it surely is the Best Buy. The Normark's 20 degrees is perfect for touching up a filet knife where the initial edge was 17 to 18 degrees.

There is one class act in every category, and I think the Meyerco Sharpen-It is it for these slot gadgets. Designed by Blackie Collins to be so simple that it could be used on horseback, the Sharpen-It has tungsten carbide wheels for the first stage and fine ceramic wheels for the second. The ceramic is so hard and fine-grained that it is more like using a steel. With this combination, the Sharpen-It performs well at both sharpening and honing.

Drawing the knife through at an angle decreases the bevel angle and gives a more razor-like edge. Also unlike others, the Sharpen-It can be used equally well left-handed. It is so compact when closed that it can be carried in the watch pocket of your jeans. The unit well built and sturdy, and features a tapered hone for serrated blades.

Well, that's not as fun as joking about snipering our buddies up north, but it's follows the thread!

Because I use these two sharpeners a lot, I will post their pics. First is the cheap Normark..a good buy.

- Normark for boat.jpg - 14kB

second..the MeyerCo sharpener

Summanus - 1-1-2007 at 03:22 PM

p.s. they run about $30.

[Edited on 1-1-2007 by Summanus]

- MeyerCo.jpg - 43kB

Summanus-----

Barry A. - 1-1-2007 at 05:55 PM

Many thanks for the Suggestion and recommendation.

I just ordered the "Meyerco Sharpen-it" on line from "Knife Works" for $20 plus S&H----total about $28.

Once more the NOMADS have helped me out------------NEAT :tumble:

Alan - 1-1-2007 at 06:50 PM

Quote:

Now, back to them blades. That angle guide does look like it helps to get a more correct edge- back home at the garage workbench. But what about in the field or, as mentioned, on a rolling deck?

I would think that if you start your trip with a good edge on all of your knives you should be able to maintain it with a steel out in the field, boat, whereever...

Also pliers work fine on triggers once you have cut around the fillet. I have had best luck with a sharply pointed knife to poke into the fillet and then cut from the inside out. Once that is done I use the same knife to cut a finger hole in the skin near the tail. Stick your finger in the hole and pull...no pliers!

Summanus - 1-2-2007 at 12:59 PM

Yup, Alan...making a finger-hole works well for triggers. The tough skin doesn't tear and it peels nicely, making the rest of the filleting job easy. We have done that for dorado, yellowtail, cabrilla, you name it...also for certain fins up north. All you need to do is slice enough skin back to grab ahold of and pull...usually from the tail to the head. Filleting and skinning is fairly routine for most species...the fun part is the catching!

Who would have thought sharpening edges would be so much fun?

I'm calling BS on this one

Big Al - 1-2-2007 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Yeah, can't be too careful about all those octegenarian, blue haired suspicious characters with their walkers and Hawaiian shirts. Likely Al Qaeda indeed! Heaven forbid we should engage in -gasp- racial profiling! :o

If that's the way you feel about it, tocayo, be prepared to sit in line for several hours and bend over for the finger wave. Oh, and be ready for $10 lettuce. If you only go to Baja once or twice a year, maybe you can deal with that. Those of us who live along the border think this is bullsh-t. Our farmers are paying $9/hr for labor and plowing under fields of prime crops because they can't get enough hands to pick it.

Approximatley $.13 of the cost of a head of lettuce is due to field labor. Even if we doubled the farm workers wage it would only increase the cost by an additional 13 cents. The farmers can't get enough hands to pick their products because they aren't paying anything close to $9/hr, that's why they hire ILLEGALS. We should not subsidize any industry because we cannot afford the product. Pay legal workers fair (market value) wages and you won't be short of employees. Paying someone substandard wages knowing they live in substandard conditions, so we can save 13 cents on a head of lettuce does not seem like a noble way to live to me. When you can make more money on welfare than at a job, you will stay on welfare.

Don't believe the propoganda, pay real money, get our deadbeats off welfare, and then if we are short workers, we can have guest workers come in. But at no time should we be paying them less than market value.

An equivalent would be for me to import a bunch of engineers from India and pay them $20,000 a year, In reality, I have to pay American engineering college graduates about $50K - $60k straight out of school. That is what the market demands. Why should farmers, landscapers, hotels and other industries be subsidized by cheap labor? We should all compete under the same set of rules.

Sorry, I couldn't keep quiet.

Big Al

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Big Al]

Big Al------

Barry A. - 1-2-2007 at 11:13 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this---------lots to think about.

Barry

Oso - 1-3-2007 at 07:41 AM

OK, the $10 lettuce was hyperbole, but the $9/hr. is absolute fact, at least here in Yuma. Growers are advertising that amount in local papers, plus time and a half, free lunch, a weekly lottery and free medical across the line in SLRC, and they still can't get enough people. Wages may not be the same elsewhere and growers may not be as careful about fake documents. Here, there is too much at stake.

additional cost

Big Al - 1-3-2007 at 09:53 AM

Oso, I am sure you are correct. However, the pay wage is almost irrelevant. My point is the same. Let's pay these people $18/hr and add 13 cents to the lettuce. If you pay people enough money, they will do the tough jobs. That is how we get workers out on the offshore oil rigs, and underwater welders and any other tough job. We pay them enough money to attrack people to an unattractive job. Especially in a town like Yuma. People are going to want to be compensated extra for working in that oppressive heat.

As a country, we are going to have to decide if certain products should be made or grown in this country. We have to be realistic, if we are the most efficient country to produce these products. In most cases I think we can compete as long as the playing field is fair. The other controversial topic is taxing these products when they are imported from other countries so we actually have a fighting chance. We don't manufacturer balls and bicycles and other consumer products in this country anymore not because we can't. The problem is countries like China can pay people close to nothing because those people have a miserable standard of living. The only way we can compete with them is to level the playing field. If they won't pay a decent wage than we tax those imports. Today we do not only export our jobs in manufacturing, we offshore our technical jobs like engineering and technical support. I don't buy into the rhetoric that these are jobs we americans don't want

Instead of dragging our standard of living down to their level, let's try and raise their standard of living up a level or two.

My opinion only

3 Nomad Thread-jumpers found wounded in lettuce field!

Summanus - 1-3-2007 at 11:15 AM

3 thread-jumpers were found lying wounded in a lettuce field near El Centro last night.

Barry A., Oso, and Big Al were admitted to an area knife-trauma clinic for treatment of wandering from the thread.

They had multiple wounds...corkscrews to the head, nail files to the chest, and tiny scissors cuts to the kneecaps....obviously had some sort of run-in with either the Swiss or Russian Army.

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Summanus]

- useful for thread jumpers! 3.jpg - 21kB

Well deserved

Big Al - 1-3-2007 at 11:49 AM

My apologies. Sometimes I can't stop myself.

The worst part is I was interested in this thread because I hate dull knives as well. I use an oil stone, but it is never there when I have a big mess of fish. Trigger fish make great ceviche but they are murder on a knife. Also, any suggestions on the best all pupose fillet knife?

Just trying to get it back on track since I helped in the derailment.

Big Al

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Big Al]

Summanus--------

Barry A. - 1-3-2007 at 11:50 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :P

Big Al-----

Barry A. - 1-3-2007 at 11:52 AM

-----I use a CUTCO filet knife and it is awesome, but really expensive (I got it as a gift from my son). :spingrin:

Cutco

Big Al - 1-3-2007 at 11:54 AM

Where can I get one?

Al-----

Barry A. - 1-3-2007 at 11:58 AM

I am not sure-----maybe Google CUTCO???

My son was a dealer when a teen ager. CUTCO filet knife has a soft rubber handle (no slip) and an adjustable length blade, very flexible, and super steel-=----very sharp and does not lose its edge rapidly.

CUTCO Company is in Olean, NJ

Just an old classic, but damn good, knife...

Summanus - 1-3-2007 at 12:54 PM

You can't go wrong with one of Rapala's fillet knives for your boat or fishcamp. The 7 1/2 inch model is the best for Baja. Barring that I would simply buy the ones I mentioned in the other post...commercial grade 7"- 12" white rubber-handled Dexter-Russels. Neither one of these brands will break your fishing budget.

..And..you can cut lettuce with them.:rolleyes:

- a Rapala 7 inch.jpg - 16kB

Summanus - 1-3-2007 at 01:39 PM

soulpatch...those are the commercial-grade Dexter-Russels I posted about above.. Good and strong fillet knives, aren't they?

Oso - 1-3-2007 at 04:12 PM

OOOH, that corkscrew is uncomfortable:o

I'd be glad to continue the Agro-Economics discussion elsewhere, like off-topic or we could just drop it. I'm good with either way.

BTW, a real lettuce knife, for the field not the kitchen, looks almost like a big putty knife or chisel. It's made to sever the root stem with a pushing motion. Harvesting lettuce with one of those skinny little Rapalas would be even more murderous on your back.
http://www.ontarioknife.com/indagr.html

Big Al - 1-3-2007 at 04:23 PM

Oso, I'd be interested i your thoughts on my thoughts.

Thanks for the knife info. I am winning one on Ebay as we speak.

Big Al

Summanus - 1-3-2007 at 04:24 PM

Oh for Neptune's sake's, OSO...I was kidding about the lettuce knife!! I KNOW what tools to use in the field...grrr. Don't make me get out my spatulas and what-all.

By the way, isn't it time you bears were hibernating? ;D

Capt. George - 1-3-2007 at 06:17 PM

yah, yah, yah yah, yah, nah....!!!!

I'll be good, I'm going to heaven, no like you pee-pees.

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 08:34 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Al, we could take it to off-topic but I'm afraid our level of reasoned discourse would not survive these guys getting involved:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/howlers.htm

Enlighten us, Great Bear!

Summanus - 1-4-2007 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Al, we could take it to off-topic but I'm afraid our level of reasoned discourse would not survive these guys getting involved:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/howlers.htm

We're drowning in information and starving for knowledge.

Besides, one can only say so much about knife sharpening.;D

[Edited on 1-4-2007 by Summanus]

lechuga

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 12:30 PM

The view from my deck.

100_0379 (Small).JPG - 42kB

Free Letuce

Big Al - 1-4-2007 at 12:33 PM

Looks to me like the 24 hour market might be giving lettuce away for free, self serve of course.

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 01:11 PM

OK, Dios de Los Pedos, if you say so. I guess we can say this pertains to specialized knives for specialized purposes. I wanted to be sure I could get this picture in before I start in on agroeconomics. This is looking WSW from my house. The tree line on the horizon in the upper right hand is what's left of the Colorado River. Beyond that is Baja, a little below Algodones. To the left about a mile south is Sonora. The people working in the picture are indeed making at least $9/hr. Those with experience, a desire to hustle and the physical stamina for the equivalent of touching your toes hundreds of times a day can do even better.

The closest fields in the foreground have already been harvested. As you can see, more than half the lettuce is still there and will be plowed under. This is because it isn't marketable. The consumer wants nice round firm heads of Iceberg and will not buy any that are too small, too open or in any way misshapen. Mechanical lettuce harvesters have been invented. But, like cotton or wheat combines, they pick it all. That would mean selection and quality control would have to be done somewhere else down the line because if the consumer won't buy it, the grocer doesn't want it taking up space. So far, growers here have found it most efficient to do QC in the field and not waste space on the truck or in the cooler (warehouse). That's why you see "Field Packed" on the boxes at the supermarket.

Field work may not require much formal education, but it does take a certain amount of training and skill. One has to learn which head of lettuce to cut and which to leave behind. That's why lettuce is "labor intensive". Now, it's true that you can cut people off of welfare. In fact that's being done and has been the trend for several years now. But that doesn't mean you can force them to work in the fields as has been suggested for prisoners. Paying more is also unlikely to attract the kind of people found on welfare. Not as long as there are easier alternatives in prostitution, drugs and time-share condo sales. Also, this isn't the same as cutting weeds along the highway with shotgun-toting guards watching. Even if either form of "forced" labor were available at little or no cost, ask any grower if he would want it. At zero cost it would be too expensive in terms of liability and inferior product.

There are hundreds of people within a few miles of this picture ready, willing and able to do this work, who would be happy with even current U.S. minimum wage. The problem is both demagogic politicians and an outdated, inefficient port of entry system and except for the equally inefficient H2A program, a non-existent guest worker program.

OK, who's next on the soapbox?

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
Looks to me like the 24 hour market might be giving lettuce away for free, self serve of course.

In fact, growers don't mind people gleaning once the fields have been picked over as what's left will just be plowed under. Stealing produce from fields that haven't yet been harvested is a prosecutable offense, however.

Reaction

Big Al - 1-4-2007 at 02:16 PM

Oso, I am not sure what I said to get you going. I was just commenting on how easy it would be to get a five fingered discount from those fields.

I thought this was going to be moved off topic

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 04:08 PM

Al, sorry if that last response seemed testy to you, it wasn't meant to be. With that much sensitivity, you definitely don't want to take this to off-topic. Have you seen the vile insults and even absurd physical threats going on there lately? Sounds like a 5th grade playground. I decided to continue after getting the green light from Summanus, who started this thread.

You are quite correct, the 5-fingered discount is easy enough. Nobody posts guards in the fields, although passing Border Patrol might want to know what you're doing out there at night. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem here in spite of the fact that lettuce costs just as much in the supermarkets here as anywhere. Maybe it's the fact that locals know they can get all the free lettuce they want in broad daylight with no problem if they'll wait for the crews to go through and settle for less than "perfect heads". The imperfect stuff works just as well for salads and sandwiches. It just doesn't sell.

Correctamundo

Big Al - 1-4-2007 at 04:18 PM

In traveling to Mexico, where fruit is not always perfect in apperance but usually has a lot more flavor than we are used to, it seems like a waste.

You would think that these bagged salad companies could use the less than perfect heads.

If that much goes to waste, than I guess we found the reason why a head of lettuce costs so much.

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
You would think that these bagged salad companies could use the less than perfect heads.

Good point. I don't know why they don't either. I could be wrong but apparently they unpack the boxes that are packed in the field and use the perfect heads. Me, I don't like that prepackaged salad. With all the e. coli scares lately, I want to wash and cut my own. All the farm labor buses now tow trailers with porta-potties and hand washing stations. But, sometimes they can be a long walk away...:lol:

Big Al - 1-4-2007 at 04:47 PM

I don't like them either they are very dried out but they sell like crazy.

DENNIS - 1-4-2007 at 04:57 PM

I havn't followed this thread, just tuned in and was caught by Als last post. It brought back memories of Campo Siete, near Mazatlan, forty years ago. A huge hoar-house district.
Does anybody remember the area?

Big Al - 1-4-2007 at 04:59 PM

Are there any fresh ones still around?

DENNIS - 1-4-2007 at 05:05 PM

Maybe on main street, El Cajon

Oso - 1-4-2007 at 09:25 PM

OK, now I'm really off the subject. This was triggered by lettuce or knife sharpening or...?:?:

Oso - 1-5-2007 at 09:47 AM

The South Park kids are in the 5th grade...:lol:

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 10:11 AM

:lol: NOW - checked this thread again, to see what is it, that can be so interesting about KNIVES. Let me see: beside knives, I know now about SALAD and prices -plus harvesting it; then about Cajon's hoarhouse, and the OT namecallings of 5th graders. I love this Forum - you never know what to expect when opening a thread!! :lol::cool:

OKAY Question: - can the knife you use for filleting fish, also be used for filleting MEAT? Seriously - never could figure it if there IS adifference or not.I just use in my kitchen whatever knife I get hold of, and seems sharp enough. :?:

FARASHA (..geez...using all CAPS, I feel like I am shouting..)

Summanus - 1-5-2007 at 11:37 AM

No, a fillet knife makes a poor choice for cutting meat in the round. Not all knives are created equal. WHEN WILL WOMEN GET THIS THROUGH THEIR HEADS!!...arrghh...sigh.

What are you using that knife for? It is important to select an appropriate knife for the task to be performed.

This will be for MEATS.

Without betting into a very lengthy discussion here, a skinning knife, boning knife, and steak knife will fulfill most needs.

Generally, a skinning knife is used for sticking and skinning farm animals.

The boning knife, which can be used for sticking, is most frequently used for muscle boning, trimming meats, slicing small cuts, and cutting a chicken carcass. Sometimes this knife is used for trimming vegetables and slicing cooked meat if appropriate knives for these tasks are unavailable.

The steak knife is most frequently incorporated in the slicing of larger meat cuts and may be used for the separation of a carcass into smaller cuts, carving, and even slicing other foodstuffs, if the appropriate knives are unavailable.

Well, I hope that help your choice, Farasha?...(..and see how much softer your cute handle is without the caps?);D

happy slicing and dicing....

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
WHEN WILL WOMEN GET THIS THROUGH THEIR HEADS!!...arrghh...sigh.

Thanks GOD OF NIGHTLY THIUNDER for the lecture.
It's appreciated, farasha

Summanus - 1-5-2007 at 12:58 PM

ssshhhhhh....it's the middle of the night...

Are you up sharpening your knife?

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 01:09 PM

:biggrin::cool: watch out <f>

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 01:13 PM

BTW - talking of sharpening - my Dad used a tool that looked like a long DAGGER, but blade was round - seen Butcher using it too (whats that name in english?).
Anyone experience with it??Would like to use it - since Dad can't anymore.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-79128232623743...

edited for adding link

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by FARASHA]

Farasha...

Summanus - 1-5-2007 at 02:07 PM

Your Dad's tool was most likely a very popular 'rod sharpener.' Great for putting an already angled edge back on a blade in a hurry. This is used by a lot of butchers and chefs. Hang onto it, it will be of use...and it IS a keepsake, after all.

Did it look like this one?

- rod sharpener.jpg - 3kB

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 02:12 PM

YES - that is also what I found and attached in the link. Actually it is from my fathers dad - so it is a special keepsake.Must be 50 plus years old.
But I wonder if it is still useable??

msteve1014 - 1-7-2007 at 05:52 PM

back to the sharpeners,i have found nothing i like better than the lansky set up.after all your blades are sharp all i need is to hone every so often with a ceramic stick. that will get you through many fish or an elk.different blades for each.i have used a russel lamb skinner for almost 20 years that still has a lot of blade left.

Lansky's is great product.

Summanus - 1-7-2007 at 06:21 PM

I couldn't agree more, msteve. I think Lansky's makes one of the most popular sharpening kits around. Good for a lot of hunting, fishing, and home uses. Great prices and quite a variety of choices.

Farasha, that keepsake rod sharpener should be okay still...give it a try if you feel like you should be using it. If not, make or buy a nice display case and hang in your kitchen as a memento from your father and grandfather. I've done the same with some objects from my father's use, also. But then, I am an incurable romantic.

- Lanksy kit 2 (Custom).jpg - 27kB

Crusoe - 1-20-2007 at 07:37 PM

Its Just A Mans World!!!!!:smug:

FARASHA - 1-21-2007 at 04:03 AM

Another Question - True or not - Dishwasher make knives dull??!!

jimgrms - 1-21-2007 at 01:09 PM

Farasha no dish water will not dull a knife, throwing the knife in the dishwater with other dishes and pots will , a knife becomes dull when the edge gets bent over from day to day use, and a steel ( the dagger thingee your grampa gave you) is used to straiten the edge and make the blade sharp. after several cycles the edge fatigues and breaks, then you need a stone to re sharpen the edge. and that folks is proably more than you ever wanted to know about knives jim

Alan - 1-22-2007 at 02:17 PM

Yesterday, on the advice of previous posts, I splurged and bought the Lansky system. I'm afraid I can't say I am really happy with it. Of course I am never happy with my knives unless they leave little bald spots on my arm when testing for sharpness. Looks like I will have to spend even more now to get the Ultra-fine stone. In frustration I dragged out my old Spyder Co. setup which had lost it's effectiveness over the years. I scrubbed all of the stones with Barkeeper's Helper and Voila, Good as new!

So to answer the origional question without getting into the harvesting and marketing of lettuce, the Spyder Co. System IMO is the fastest and easiet way to restore an edge and a good Forschner steel to maintain it between sharpenings.

Spyder Co..jpg - 34kB

Hook - 1-27-2007 at 01:41 PM

Here is a film supply place in SoCal that is selling the Spyderco 204 for a great price, through the end of the month.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/spydtriansha.html

Hook - 1-31-2007 at 01:45 PM

Got my Spyderco in the mail yesterday. I think it will take some getting used to. Or maybe I will be finishing my fillet knives with a really fine, hand-held ceramic/clay stone. I think I can get them sharper with that.

Alan, with fillet knives, I am using the method they describe as using the corners of the grey stone, followed by using corners of the white stone. Are you doing more than that? Do you have the optional diamond surface or ?

Cypress - 1-31-2007 at 02:36 PM

A chainsaw file will put an edge on a knife quick, but it will also eat a lot of metal.:)

Alan - 2-4-2007 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Got my Spyderco in the mail yesterday. I think it will take some getting used to. Or maybe I will be finishing my fillet knives with a really fine, hand-held ceramic/clay stone. I think I can get them sharper with that.

Alan, with fillet knives, I am using the method they describe as using the corners of the grey stone, followed by using corners of the white stone. Are you doing more than that? Do you have the optional diamond surface or ?
I use the following process; gray corner, gray flat, white corner and finish with the white flat.

Hook - 2-6-2007 at 05:40 PM

thanks, Alan, i'll try it.

I keep my fillet knife in the house, when not on the boat. I like it for almost any serious cutting including veges and meats. I'll get a sharpening op soon.

LA Times Food writer sold on Edge Pro

Hook - 3-21-2007 at 08:28 AM

......but I aint paying 185 bones for a sharpening system. I'll stick with my Spyderco system.

[Edited on 3-21-2007 by Hook]http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-tool21mar21,1,4630113.story?coll=la-headlines-food

[Edited on 3-21-2007 by Hook]

Diver - 3-21-2007 at 08:35 AM

Edge Pro is expensive but the results are amazing.
Especially for someone that isn't very good at sharpening.
It is made in our area and he has taken over all the restaurant sharpening as his results are consistently better. He makes them throw away their steels.
The edge lasts longer than most methods and comes back easy.
Of course, I haven't coughed up the $$ for one yet either.