BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: A new answer to an old question?
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 01:17 PM
A new answer to an old question?

I have been on the prowl lately for thee best...(and simplest to use)...........KNIFE SHARPENER. What do you think is the best and why?

I use the good quality, but plain, white-handled filet knives for most work. Mostly Dexter-Russels on the boat as they are readily replacable. I will not filet a fish or anything else with a dull knife so I am sharpening edges a lot of the time. And....I am always glad to hear of a better way of doing things.

I have a pretty good collection of sharpeners to date.

So far, I like the regular diamond-dusted steel darts to keep an edge on the knives, also this combo metal/ceramic V-setup in the photo below, but it is a little awkward at times in close quarters and rocking seas. Lansky's are another favorite.

What's YOUR best method and choice of sharpener?

[Edited on 12-30-2006 by Summanus]

- a-2 (Small).jpg - 34kB

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 03:03 PM

Those "V" sharpeners will eat a blade up in a hurry. I'd go with a stone, then a leather strap.:bounce: Some things are best done with a knife that's somewhat dull, such as skinning a filet.:spingrin:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 04:23 PM

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

No question, the best system I have ever seen and the sharpest results.
It takes all the operator error out of the equasion.
Not cheap, but what is ??
The owner is a real sharpening geek and loves to talk.
They are in Hood River.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 05:08 PM

Just do as the Mexicanos do-A good Sandstone or regular sharpeningStone used for many years is still the Best..Ever watch a Mexicano fishemand sharpen his Knife? Try it.
Skeet/Loreto
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 05:58 PM

Thanks much for the tips, but I have done all the things mentioned many times over...I am looking to add something new to my knowledge.

Skeet..I have owned and sharpened those old bolo-like knives made out of spring steel for 30-odd years. Also use the stone frequently. I have a couple in leather sheaths as wall decor in my den.

I must politely disagree, Cypress...It has been my experience nothing will cause more injuries than a dull knife...especially when filleting/gutting many large fish with tough skins, for which a dull knife is useless. Not to mention the other chores for which a sharp knife is required. My experience has been that the combo V-sharpener I am using in the photo works very well for many sharpenings. I don't feel it uses up the steel as quickly as a large hone. Perhaps you have used a different element.

Diver, I will contact and yak with the knife whisperer...he/she sounds like a kindred soul.;)

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 06:41 PM

edgeproinc gave me a headache.........

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 06:57 PM

You should have had it with a little tonic and lime, perhaps?

Diver, I hate to say this, but upon seeing it, that edgepronic is known to me also....and is good for a commercial site operation, but does not lend itself well to a fishing boat or my deer camp. We are talking small and portable here....something for a pack or console. I am really not this hard to please...I swear!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 05:07 AM

hey stinky, where is your deer camp?

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 08:02 AM

I don't even talk in my sleep about where our deer camp is, skippy. IF you were told, I would have to field dress you...or my hunting buddies would! ;)

Seriously, some favorites are Ft. St. James, BC, Powder River SE Montana, Badlands Little Missouri ND , high desert NM, and fresh burns almost anywhere..especially near high desert. I don't mind traveling to hunt...on this continent from the Sonora desert to Alaska to NW & Central Canada (a neighbor hunts on Prince of Wales Island..maybe close to your area of Coffman Cove). Hyder area for me. Mulies are my choice for most hunting...whitetails in the bottoms . I avoid any place east of Old Miss.

Those little Florida whitetails are kind of overrunning the neighborhood, aren't they? I hear they will eat your lawns overnight and have your flowerbed for breakfast. Lots of PETA members moved in, huh?

What's your favorite tool and method for a quick, in-camp, sharp edge?

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 08:13 AM

my switch blade from my teen years is still pretty sharp! I'm gonna be shootin a lot of black tail up in Prince od Wales AK

When ya comin up? My lake house is being overrun by gators..took 2 out so far, a 9 and a 10 footer....Florida is being over run by everything and everybody...house 4 sale

we're off to Coffman Cove AK and Punta Abreojos..

Did a little pig huntin here in Florida, but your odds increase with a good and proven "pig call"

Oh, by the way, if you field dress me, I'm partial to pink Tutus

the captain

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:21 AM

Had 42 Deer in my Front Yard a couple of Days ago! one a 300 Lb. 10 Point Buck. These are protected , as of yet we do not have problems other than the Does produce Tripletts often.

Shrade at one time made one of the best Skinning Knives that I ever Sold. It keeps its Edge perfect most of the time with a Stone Sharpner/

Good Luck and Watch out for George- He will Scare you when you least expect it!! You should always be on Guard with those Nu York Street Fighters.

Skeet/Loreto
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:31 AM
Skeet...we'll invite him to our deer camp.

An old Baja hand fits in with us. Thanks for the Shrade tip. A good blade.

One of our northern camps. Think of it as Baja with glaciers.

Hunts - Deer-Elk Camp BC.jpg - 48kB

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:43 AM

I don't know if I'm going there...it reminds me a little of Deliverance. Hey, that big guy on the porch, are those antlers coming out of his head?

Skeet, I'll go if you come along to protect me..

good huntin y'all

Lil Abner

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:47 AM

Now how the heck did you guess we were all extras and advisors for "Deliverance", Capt. George? Well, shucks, son...we'll be real gentle with ya'all.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:10 AM

I still need to know whats comin outa that guys head?

what about the dead guy in the dirt?

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:27 AM

Gotta agree with the Skeeter man, even if he can't spell "Schrade".:lol: I'm still using a Schrade Uncle Henry that I "won" when I registered a 9 pt. Whitetail at the Eldorado store in the Uwharrie NF, central NC, back in 1985. Have skinned many, many critters of all sizes, never used anything but a stone and it's still in fine shape. But then, I ain't very sophisticated about such things.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:41 AM

well I guess I ain't gettin no biters on the "pig call" am I???

here goes, move on over women libbers, or take a seat.

ahem, ahem, Do you come to this bar often sweetheart?

A Male Chauvanist Pig, I'm 61, I can't help myself...surely you understand.

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:45 AM

Oso, I was being polite when repying to Skeet's Shrade/Schrade reference. He had the brand right, just can't spell worth a darn.:rolleyes:

Those little Uncle Henry blades are okay for those puny rabbit-deer back east, but we have to use machetes out west just to cut some backstraps for a snack.:yes:

George...yes, that is my Uncle Norm with the horns. Born that way, as most of that side of the clan was when Granny was taking all that thalidomide. The one on the ground is cousin Rufus...shot dead by a city slicker and laid out to stiffen a bit 'fore we planted him near the rose bushes. Waste not, want not ..is our motto.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 12:15 PM

Well, Pedoro, you could be right about that. That Carolina niner didn't weigh much more than me and only dressed out 175# for the freezer after guttin & skinnin. I live on the AZ border now and look forward to a nice muley someday. Trouble is, what they have in size they lack in numbers. I don't much care for this lottery crap or what they call a "hunt" here, i.e. a week or less in one very small designated area. Back home we always got half a dozen tags with the license, usually including one for doe and one for "hunter's choice", with a 4 month season (starting with Bow in September). I always did best during muzzleloader season. The hard part was NOT hitting one with your truck, they have indeed become pests and are more plentiful than rabbits.

My neighbor and his son got back to the linea last night with 3 nice Sonoran muleys but had to leave them and their truck with friends in SLRC and walk across because the P-nche migra have slowed crossing to a three to four hour crawl.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 01:06 PM

'Bout those knives for skinning deer etc., Buck or Case, folding blades. :bounce: A good saw is a must.:bounce:Fileting fish? :?:The jury is still out on that. :D Use two knives. One to cut the filet, very sharp, another to shave the skin from the flesh, not quite as sharp.;)
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.