BajaNomad

air fills in bahia tortugas

torinoso1 - 1-27-2007 at 06:38 PM

Are there any places to get scuba tanks refilled in the bahia tortugas area.Also how available is food,ice and beer in that area.I went to bay of L.A. last winter and am looking to go a lot more remote this time.
Thanks,Eric

David K - 1-27-2007 at 08:48 PM

I hope someone can give you current info.

In the meantime, use the search engine at the top of the Nomad pages and type in Tortugas or whatever... and links to past posts pop up.

Mike Humfreville posted this, last summer: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18477

Part 2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18522

Part 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18552

[Edited on 1-28-2007 by David K]

shari - 1-28-2007 at 09:32 AM

As far as I know, the closest place to fill tanks is BLA and Loretto...BUT, why don't you consider diving with the locals??? The pangas are equiped with hooka set ups and it's a cool way to go plus there are some awesome dive spots there.

thanks Shari

torinoso1 - 1-28-2007 at 09:49 AM

I also e-mailed you earlier. I hope you have time for a response. Diving with the locals sounds fantastic. We are hoping to bring a portable compressor but don't know if it is available yet. I can't wait to visit the area.
Thanks,Eric

David K - 1-28-2007 at 09:30 PM

Eric, on Fred Metcalf's Baja Ca Travelers board, scroll down to the Jan. 2 posting about Tortugas... Wild Bill gave some information that may be helpfull: http://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/MsgBoard.html

doradodan - 1-29-2007 at 09:31 AM

i wouldn't dive a mexican hooka set up. the fiilters are usually filthy or nonexistent. if you like breathing carbon monoxide, go for it. you would be better off freediving or get your tanks filled from a well filtrated compressor.

dean miller - 1-29-2007 at 02:32 PM

Originally posted by doradodan;
i wouldn't dive a mexican hooka set up. the fiilters are usually filthy or nonexistent. if you like breathing carbon monoxide, go for it. you would be better off freediving or get your tanks filled from a well filtrated compressor.

I agree 100%

There is the addition danger of lipoid pueumonia. A product of oil droplets migrating into the breathing medium. Very very serious with a long term recovery Because of strick American standards Lipoid Puenomia has almost been forgotten in the US.

If you must use SCUBA I would suggest Susan Speck's dive operation in Loreto, who fills to American standards
or
Roberto's in BOLA who has a very large commerical pump that is also maintained to American standards.

I would also strongly suggest you leave the SCUBA at home and enjoy and practice Free Diving.

DM

BajaWarrior - 1-29-2007 at 09:38 PM

Borrow some extra tanks from a buddy, have them filled in U.S., then you'll have plenty.

dean miller - 1-30-2007 at 07:10 AM

"BajaWarrior"
"Borrow some extra tanks from a buddy, have them filled in U.S., then you'll have plenty."

What is plenty?

Once used an empty SCUBA tank is as useful as a dead pelican.

Has the American diver diver forgotten their roots that they can no longer put their faces underwater with out a tank of steel strapped to their backs and a body encased in rubber?

Try something new it's called "free diving." You late model tube sucking bubble blowers might even enjoy it.

SDM

scuba and freediving

torinoso1 - 1-30-2007 at 07:41 AM

Thanks for your replys,
We happen to enjoy practicing both scuba and breath hold diving. We have done both since childhood .We fish while freediving and explore using scuba.

BajaWarrior - 1-30-2007 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
"BajaWarrior"
"Borrow some extra tanks from a buddy, have them filled in U.S., then you'll have plenty."

What is plenty?

Once used an empty SCUBA tank is as useful as a dead pelican.

Has the American diver diver forgotten their roots that they can no longer put their faces underwater with out a tank of steel strapped to their backs and a body encased in rubber?

Try something new it's called "free diving." You late model tube sucking bubble blowers might even enjoy it.

SDM

Plenty is what you think you will use given the amount of time you plan on diving.