BajaNomad

Best place to hide my Pistol?

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 09:42 AM

I know of several people, some on this board that travel baja armed. Several recent posters have even eluded to this fact. I was wondering what my fellow posters consider the best place to hide this item, either in their car or in their home?

FYI, I have been offered gun for sale in MX. I declined.

Do you carry/have access to, a large supply of cash, just in case......? What is a typical penalty? Do the benefits outweigh the risks, or is this just crazy?

When the white or black vans come for me, will I be able to say to them , "say hello to my little friend".:lol:

Disclaimer: This is only a theoretical discussion

Maybe if a few of the bad guys got blasted, the thugs might think twice about attacking Americans.

[Edited on 31-1-2007 by Minnow]

oldjack - 1-31-2007 at 09:49 AM

being somewhat interested.... don't you think the best responses would be by private email or U2U????

Whoa, Minnow

zforbes - 1-31-2007 at 09:55 AM

We don't want you to get blasted back! :o

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 10:00 AM

The important thing to remember is that someone may have to take one for the team.:spingrin:

Cypress - 1-31-2007 at 10:00 AM

I'd hate to try and hide my pistol, it ain't no pea-shooter. :tumble::bounce:

Not Worth the Consequences !

MrBillM - 1-31-2007 at 10:26 AM

It's no secret that I am one of those people who, North of the Border, would have come under the Democrats failed "Arsenal" legislation. I have a significant number of firearms and ammunition of all types.

However, I gave up long, long ago carrying a weapon South of the Border. IF you've got it hidden well enough to avoid detection, it's probably too difficult to get to in an emergency. Add to that the fact that said use would only be safe if there were NO bystander witnesses. Even in that case, whatever forced the use would necessitate killing everyone on the other side and then disposing of the evidence. For that reason, you wouldn't want to have a weapon that was traceable to you.

At one time (many, many years back) I was in the habit of carrying a backup auto in the Crossbed Toolbox on my truck. I had a cardboard box on one side in which I kept my engine and gear oil containers, bearing grease, etc along with clean and soiled rags for that purpose. I would place the handgun at the very bottom, under the dirty rags. Never a problem until one day at an Army Checkpoint, one of the troopers started poking through that box while talking to me. ! WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH ! .................I kept a smile on my face, made small talk and jokes and he gave up the unsanitary search, perhaps just in time. That's the last time I ever used that location. Somewhere down the road my heart resumed its normal rhythm.

In recent years, I've relied on alternate weapons i.e. A Marine Combat Knife, a Baseball Bat, a 5-Cell MagLite, "professional" Hornet Spray. At any given time, all of these are aboard. Fortunately, I've never had to test them.

[Edited on 1-31-2007 by MrBillM]

Al G - 1-31-2007 at 10:55 AM

Is it legal to carry a old rusty ugly Machete too?

losfrailes - 1-31-2007 at 11:26 AM

If you want some first hand information on the consequences of carrying a pistol, concealed, in your car you can check with Larry Chaves, who lives part time in the village of Ejido San Lucas.

I do believe he is still traveling back and forth to La Paz as a result of getting caught with the thing.

Of course you can always blame someone else for having it in your car, or blame someone for squealing on you for having it in your car. Lots of different excuses.

Scofflaws will always find a way to try the laws of Mexico.

[Edited on 1-31-2007 by losfrailes]

LarryK - 1-31-2007 at 11:45 AM

Great answer Wayne.

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 12:13 PM

Scofflaws. Come on wayne. Mexico is basically a lawless society. The golden rule in Mexico is he with the gold makes all the rules. If you have enough ready cash, getting caught with a gun is only a minor inconvienience. Don't you think? It is better to have a gun and not need one, than need one and not have it.

Cypress - 1-31-2007 at 12:25 PM

Guess it all depends on who finds your gun? You might get a free pass or you might get coke-a-cola sprayed up your nose along with other things that you probably aren't prepared to deal with.:spingrin: Go for it.:spingrin:

losfrailes - 1-31-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Scofflaws. Come on wayne. Mexico is basically a lawless society. The golden rule in Mexico is he with the gold makes all the rules. If you have enough ready cash, getting caught with a gun is only a minor inconvienience. Don't you think? It is better to have a gun and not need one, than need one and not have it.

I could not disagree with you more. Mexico is NOT a lawless society. Granted that there are rules for the rulers, but just having enough ready cash will probably not bail you out if the Military Checkpoint should come upon a weapon in your car. You will go to jail. However temporarily. And you will appear in front of an arm of the law in the person of the court.

And as BillM points out, if you have the gun well enough hidden to escape detection, then it is also probably too well put away to be of any value. You just need to avoid circumstances where a gun might be necessary.

The signs are well posted entering Mexico. NO GUNS! And that is the law! If you disregard this sign ergo the law, do you not become a scofflaw?

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 12:32 PM

I told my wife about this thread and she told me where I could put it, but I am afraid that would either be to uncomfortable to drive like that, or would impair my vision to the point of being dangerous.:lol:

So what you are saying wayne, amigo, is that if I choose to do something illegal, I am no better than those who would do the same to me. A scofflaw.

Don't I have a right to protect myself and my family?

If you are a criminal if you have a gun, only criminals have guns. In Mexico, unfortunately, many times that includes the police.

Von - 1-31-2007 at 12:56 PM

Just carry a bunch a m-onethousand firecrakers there legal right?

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 01:32 PM

Von, for home defense, that might not be a bad idea. Kinda like the flash bangs the cops in the states use. I thinks they are illegal in bajasur though.

Anyone know how to put a timer on one of those things, or do I just need to be friends with a smoker?:lol:

DENNIS - 1-31-2007 at 01:35 PM

M-ONE THOUSANDS, what is that? Something like a road-side bomb?
Hey minnow..... Way wrong. Mexico has a billion laws. What is negotiable is the decision.
My suggestion is, if you want to carry, keep it right by your right thigh, on the seat. If anybody, as in anybody, approaches your window, put two in his neck then, carry on to the market or wherever you were going, hopefully to an ATM.

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
M-ONE THOUSANDS, what is that? Something like a road-side bomb?
Hey minnow..... Way wrong. Mexico has a billion laws. What is negotiable is the decision.
My suggestion is, if you want to carry, keep it right by your right thigh, on the seat. If anybody, as in anybody, approaches your window, put two in his neck then, carry on to the market or wherever you were going, hopefully to an ATM.

M-1000's are those foot long firecrackers they sell all over Ensenada. One will take a hand off easy.

So what you are saying is Kill all the Mexicans, right Dennis.

I am thinking more on the lines of self defense. Say someone pulls along side of you and trys and box you in, maybe its 3:30am on the toll road. They start shooting. It sure would make them think twice if someone shot back.

Bajagypsy - 1-31-2007 at 01:48 PM

Holy Crap...not a chance would I bring mine down. A while ago we were pulled over at a military check stop, and the butt end of my spear gun was sticking out from under a towel. (a pistol grip type)
What a chit show that was until they moved the towel...I definately dont want to find out what would happen to me if it were real.
I'll stick with my dive knife, and if time permitts my spear gun for issues that may arise.

Packoderm - 1-31-2007 at 01:58 PM

It seems to me the best place to hide a pistol, if you really needed to carry one, would be in a holster on your body.

comitan - 1-31-2007 at 02:07 PM

Ok Minnow your plan, now mine if they try to pull me over I'm going to0 pull over but I'm also going to try to get them to come in behind me, when we stop I'm into reverse and full bore backing into them there will be some damage to the rear of my vehicle but they are going to be out of business, and if its possible I will back them right off the hwy.

Cypress - 1-31-2007 at 02:33 PM

I'm thinking somebody has been watching too much TV.:O You're gonna have a shoot-out!:O Ever leveled a gun on anybody?:lol: A twitch of the finger.Give it some thought.:O

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 02:34 PM

Comitan, I am guessing you drive a large vehicle. :lol:

Cypress, are you saying just give them what they want? Maybe that is your life, or your wifes, or kids?

Remember the couple from BOLA, or the guy south of Mulege. A gun might have helped them.

Pescador - 1-31-2007 at 02:43 PM

Minnow, I know you love to flame and get people going but here is the information that Wayne was referring to. A guy who lives in San Lucas Cove decided that it was acceptable to carry a firearm and it ended up costing him somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500 - $5000 US. Then the expense of going once a week for awhile to La Paz to visit his parole officer, which finally got reduced to once every two weeks. They were at one point going to confiscate his truck and the fine was much heavier, but things got reduced when he produced a character witness. So you are right, you can choose to carry a firearm south of the border, but I think that the cost may be heavier than you might want to pay.
there has been a lot of discussion about this topic and I think that one needs to be protected with legal things like flare guns, sling shots (borrow them from the police in Tijuana), or whatever, but the official position is no guns in Mexico.

Cypress - 1-31-2007 at 02:51 PM

Minnow, Guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there.:)Good luck on your journey, hope you never need to drop the hammer on anyone.:yes:

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 03:40 PM

Cypress and all, this is nothing more than food for thought. Thanks to all who U2Ued me also. Plenty of good advice here. The banditos may be in for more than they think. :O

Pistol Packing on your Person

MrBillM - 1-31-2007 at 03:42 PM

Packo may have a point.

IF you want to carry a handgun as a last resort defense, there are carry devices that are like an undershirt and made of elastic nylon. You carry the pistol (sm-med cal semi-auto best) in a pouch under the armpit. They really hug the skin. Since they're designed as a last-resort concealment, you basically would RIP open the shirt to get to the piece. Considering the circumstance, a ruined shirt is a small consideration.

Interestingly, I just did a Web Search on the "shirt holsters" and each link I found was no longer available. Perhaps these concealment devices have been discontinued. Oh Well. Given a little work and some sewing abilities, you could probably make a substitute.

LarryK - 1-31-2007 at 04:33 PM

Let me get this straight, for the gun to do you any good it has to on you. So Joe bandit pulls you over, you kill him, (you cannot wound him, because it will come back to bite you) now you have to hide/bury the body and then you leave the country, and never return. Now lets take a flare gun, when you shoot that at him with a 12-gauge flare you will also kill him. If you get caught with the flare gun in the front seat you will probably go to jail and get to do all those fun things to get out.

There is no easy way out with a gun. Use pepper spray etc;

On the Way

MrBillM - 1-31-2007 at 04:40 PM

Actually, if there are no witnesses, after making sure that JOE Bandit is dead, you could simply go on your way, although it would be a GREAT idea to dispose of the weapon, your clothing, give yourself a good scrub with gasoline and make sure you NEVER tell anyone else. It's probably true, though, that going back across that border once you made it back to the U.S. would create a lot of anxiety.

Bruce R Leech - 1-31-2007 at 05:16 PM

the one place they never check at the check points is in your personal bag if you are holding it . Edith always has a purse and I Carey a large bank bag. with all of my papers and cash. never been asked to look at it. for some reason they cant search your person or anything you are carrying.

DENNIS - 1-31-2007 at 05:18 PM

Hey cypress --
Oh yeah, I have had weapons trained on me, fire coming from the muzzle. Not only in Army combat but, here on the streets of Ensenada as well. They drove up next me at 40 MPH, motioned me to go to the side of the road, I accelerated and they shot out a window, eighteen inches from my head. That was fun.
minnow ----- I wasn't serious about packin' and firing. But if things happen and you and your's are in trouble..........you have to do what's best, legal or not.

DENNIS - 1-31-2007 at 05:24 PM

MrBill -----
Im about to research to buy a high caliber derringer. Do you have any suggestions?

TMW - 1-31-2007 at 07:20 PM

I think the easiest way to hide a pistol would be to break it down to individual pieces and put them in your tool box. The problem then is when in trouble putting it back together in time to use it. Years ago my brother had a pistol hidden under the dash to the side in a pocket area in his 1966 Ford PU. He had a piece of plastic wedged over it in case someone was feeling for it, it would feel like a cross brace. He was probably lucky no one ever checked.

Minnow - 1-31-2007 at 08:13 PM

What happens if I break it into is component pieces and take it down over several trips? If I get caught with one piece, will that be a problem? The only thing that wouldn't be completely hidden in with a bunch of tools would be the plastic grip. Those in the know, know what kind of unit I am talking about.

New Idea

bajaguy - 1-31-2007 at 10:14 PM

One thing that I have not seen discussed in this thread or other similar threads is the use of a pocket type laser pointer to disable an opponent.........it is lightweight, has range, is relatively inexpensive and is legal to carry.

RockhouseTom - 1-31-2007 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
I am thinking more on the lines of self defense. Say someone pulls along side of you and trys and box you in, maybe its 3:30am on the toll road. They start shooting. It sure would make them think twice if someone shot back.

Been There! My family was with me and and I was shot. We were able to escape our attackers with some luck. This was the one, and I hope only, time in my life I really needed one of the many fire arms I own. If I had been armed, as often I am in the US, I would have done more than just escape. After this incident, with the input of my wife and family I made the decision not to try and carry in Baja. The down side is just too great for us. I love Baja, and want to enjoy it for many years to come.

We have been to our place in BOLA 4 times after this happened last year and I plan to be there again in a few days. I have up-graded from the Ford Expedition we had (It had a bullet hole in the driver side door) to a F-250 Super Duty, soon to have a very big Warn winch bumper. A Ford saved my families life once I won't drive any thing else.

I have changed a few things. I won't drive between TJ and Ensenada in the early a.m. alone, and it would be a big mistake to try and stop me on the toll road.

So, I do believe that you do have a right and a duty to defend your self and your family when they are threatened, and that no one else will be there to do it for you in Baja. I under stand the need to be armed and have decided for me, to trust in my Ford and not my Ruger for the time being.

jimgrms - 2-1-2007 at 10:40 AM

Folks there are wore things than being robbed, a couple of weeks in the slammer with bubba pancho would proably be no fun,,,
the law says no guns in mexico, and that is that,,, if you feel the need to carry a gun on vacation , maybe you s hould find a new vacation spot,, I think the majority of travelers have found legal ways to protect themelve,

kellychapman - 2-1-2007 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
Just carry a bunch a m-onethousand firecrakers there legal right?
omg...with a good case of gas you could shoot yourself and it would come out where your brains are....or were is you have the guts to carry a weapon.....even if you shoot the bad guys they are still going to get you...I still say get a big bad mean dog and they will stay away from you....I like the firecraker idea though....just lite the whole packet and throw.....man they would make them run while the dog is chasing them.....
Seriously.....just be careful of where and when you go someplace, as that is the real protector of your family. Good judgement without the essence of Tequilla helps alot....
good luck....

Skeet/Loreto - 2-1-2007 at 11:59 AM

From an Ole Timer:
I had a 38 Pistol taken from me when a Sgt. found it in the back of a Closet in a MotorHome. I took the name of the Sgt., who instructed me where to go in La Paz to obtain a Permit.
At that time if you where an Ex Police Officer from the States you could get the Permit $500 at that time.

I then bought a 38 ChiefsSpecial-Snub Nose put it in a under arm Hostler and carried it for many years in Baja .

The key to carring a Concealed Weapon is to keep it Concealed until that moment you think you need it to "Stop" someone who is trying to Kill You!

Never, never, use a Gun to try to scare someone.. Most of the time I carried the Gun was on Road Trips. Especially on Interstate 5 Freeway through Los Angeles and TJ.

Stay out of those places that give you a "Stomach Turning Feeling"" be aware of what is going on around you.

I never had the occasion or was involved in any incident while living and traveling in Baja for 40 years.

Today I have some rental properties in Amarillo Texas in a very bad Area. I always take my Weapon. I feel the need here much more than I ever did in Baja.

Skeet/Loreto

capitolkat - 2-1-2007 at 12:48 PM

I've given this some serious thought as I've been out in the open in desolate spots surf fishing , camping and get the queasy feeling when another car pulls up and a few non- sunbathers , or non-fishermen get out and stand around. My wife and I are pretty formidable people and don't scare easy ( been shot twice in VN, and have a pretty even disposition) but we are always somewhat concerned when these encounters happen- machete in the cab vs. 3 or 4 others makes for interesting play.

In the military checks they have never taken a look at what I have in my pockets or on my person, my wife's purse is generally small as she carries a larger tote bag for the other things and they have never looked in her purse.
that said I've been examining the practicality of a small.32 with some powerful loads. The barretta tomcat being an example. It's smaller than my wallet, doesn't bulge my pants out if I wear loose shorts or slacks and will knock down just about anybody, and in my pants is available if somebody wants me pull over in a place where I don't want to pull over.--I'm still struggling with the downside risk and my wife votes NNNNNooooo!!! so the debate goes on.

kellychapman - 2-1-2007 at 09:59 PM

smart wife......
Never in the last 30 yrs have I been without a gun......until relocating to Mexico. Always kept a 1100 remington shotgun/automatic next to my bed and a 380 close to my hand if needed.....but I am more afraid of being in possession then being without one in this country....to me it is not worth the risk of getting caught with one here. As I have stated more then 1 time on many a forum.....don't hang out where you are vulnerable, do not travel at night, only stop at the Military checks and NEVER get out of your car, even if you have to follow them to the nearest police station.....and always have a mean dog in your lap just in case they ask you too.....
and of course behave as best as possible as not to get yourself into a situation that might be dangerous....I certainly feel alot safer here then I used to feel when I had a gun at hand. OH......and never be afraid to pass 1000 pesos if you have too....money does talk. safety is in numbers....so do not frequent isolated places...just use your head and your chances of a problem lessen.....they sure have alot of "cold cases" where everyone has a gun.....we do not need them here and certainly do not need to bring them in for goodness sakes. If your that afraid don't drive......fly.

capitolkat - 2-2-2007 at 08:13 AM

Kelly-- anyone who knows us knows my wife is much smarter than me. :lol:

don't get me wrong -- I'm not afraid as I've driven pretty much everywhere, through Europe, Greece, Africa- (S. Africa is really scary as it seems everyone is packing including grannies in the supermarket and signs on the road declare-"Hijacking Hotspot" at numerous freeway off ramps) As far as advice- I don't want another dog as my last two were the best and their passings were too hard for my wife and I to repeat. I think as I've gotten older I present a differnt target to criminals of opportunity. I don't drive an expensive vehicle- but it's a good one- and I probably look different than 20 years ago- gray hair and if you are discerning you can tell I probably have more things than I did when I first drove Baja- I don't flash anything but it's kind of intuitive when you see my rods and reels, the tires on my jeep,or my haircut, or my clothes etc.

I'll probably end up listening to my smart wife, use my people skills to stay out of trouble or bad spots, and continue to love Baja-:tumble:- but this has been a good discussion.

Now I have a new neighbor

Posada-BushPilot - 2-2-2007 at 08:25 AM

I HAD a neighbor that was caught last year, at a checkpoint, with a revolver under his seat. He was immediately taken to jail and his vehicle was impounded. He was able to contact a friend for help. They ended up shelling out a load of cash and were mistaken in the belief that they had paid a fine and the problem was solved. WRONG. Their problem really escalated when they missed their court appearance. Realizing their mistake they both promptly left the country, possibly never to return. And the Feds come around ever so often looking for the " fugitives." Very surprising that thier property wasn't siezed, at least not before they were able to sell out.

So the moral to this story? If you decide to bear arms here in BCS, at least be smart enough to conceal it a little better than my now ex-neighbor did.

Dave - 2-2-2007 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
In the military checks they have never taken a look at what I have in my pockets or on my person, my wife's purse is generally small as she carries a larger tote bag for the other things and they have never looked in her purse.
that said I've been examining the practicality of a small.32 with some powerful loads. The barretta tomcat being an example. It's smaller than my wallet, doesn't bulge my pants out if I wear loose shorts or slacks and will knock down just about anybody

Anything above a 32 and you would probably face serious jail time. I would also be careful about carrying the new "hot" loads. While the ammo technically is still 32 it is meant to put someone down...and works. I wouldn't want to get caught with any.

Why?

Dave - 2-2-2007 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
MrBill -----
Im about to research to buy a high caliber derringer. Do you have any suggestions?

Gun's a gun. If caught, you're still gonna pay. Why not have seven shots instead of two? Besides, derringers make lousy shooters.

Ditto That

MrBillM - 2-2-2007 at 10:06 AM

I have no experience with Derringer-Style pistols for the simple reason that they are inaccurate at any distance, contain only two rounds and can be difficult, if not dangerous, for the shooter in a large caliber. All that I've seen (there may be exceptions) don't even have a trigger-guard so maintaining control during recoil is problematic.

Not much larger than the Derringers are the smaller semi-autos in .32 ACP and .380. You have usually six or more rounds available in a pretty small package. The smaller single-action .380s with exposed hammer can be carried confidently with a round chambered and the DAO AMT Backup is also safe with a chambered round. Hit placement is key since the .380 Ball is not a robust round and many of the semi-hollow points don't cycle well in the short actions. I've got one .380 where it is possible to get "nipped" by the slide during firing in the V-between Thumb and First Finger. A common problem with the smaller frames. A couple of times and you pay more attention.

IF

bajaguy - 2-2-2007 at 10:57 AM

you are going to chance carrying a gun, and the problems associated with that decision if you are caught, then I would opt for something along the lines of a small 7 shot .45ACP.....might as well go for the gusto..............if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter

Minnow - 2-2-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
you are going to chance carrying a gun, and the problems associated with that decision if you are caught, then I would opt for something along the lines of a small 7 shot .45ACP.....might as well go for the gusto..............if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter

From what some of the posts are saying the caliber does matter. One says the cutoff is 38 the other 32. I wonder what the law says, or is it up to the official at the time. Like so many things in MX.:?:

bajaguy - 2-2-2007 at 11:32 AM

I think if you are going to get a permit and do it legally, the max caliber is 38 or 38 Super (as used in an auto pistol). If you are going to take a chance, go for the .45.

Paulina - 2-2-2007 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have up-graded from the Ford Expedition we had (It had a bullet hole in the driver side door) to a F-250 Super Duty, soon to have a very big Warn winch bumper. A Ford saved my families life once I won't drive any thing else.

Tom,
Dern and I just replaced our F350s stock bumper with a Warn winch bumper. Dern found a good deal from 4Wheel Parts. They matched another lower price Dern found online including free freight. It was a process, took us a couple of days at our speed/limited knowledge. It looks sweet and pretty tough. It will run any cow or bad guy off the road. Give us a call or u2u if we can help out.

Saludos!
Paulina y Dern

lift y bumper r.JPG - 50kB

TMW - 2-2-2007 at 01:04 PM

I fired a 44 magnum once and the bullet went thru 2 concrete blocks end to end with 4 tin cans one in each hole. we found the bullet in the dirt about 3 or 4 feet away. So much for movies showing bullets bouncing off wood walls.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Dave - 2-2-2007 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter

It matters. 32 or smaller + a good attorney will usually get you a stiff fine.

And the type of round matters as much (or more) than the caliber. Sometimes, just carrying ammo is worse than a gun.

Peace of Mind in a rapidly lawless country

ElGato - 2-2-2007 at 09:32 PM

:coolup: If you feel your safety is more important than any firearm law and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six my choice for protection while in or close to my automobile would involve having a removable radio faceplate.Modified to the specs of your particular firearm, access is straightforward. Personally my car is never going to be returned to the U.S, so border crossing is not a consideration. Car is old enough that smog checks are not req'd and all modifications are self made. The arm was obtained locally in and less said the better. I have never had cause to use or brandish it. In the rural country where I hang the code is lez se faire. My peace of mind is utmost. This is a very serious individual choice and you must be able to live with the consequences of your action.

Santiago - 2-2-2007 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElGato
.....and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six ....

Now that's a good one.:rolleyes:

whoaa duuude

k1w1 - 2-2-2007 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
:coolup: If you feel your safety is more important than any firearm law and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six

as of late ... it's Santa Cruz way more so than Baja where defence is nec!!

DENNIS - 2-2-2007 at 09:53 PM

Well, it sounds as though firearms in Mexico may be a bad idea. How about one of those WW2 flame-throwers they used to BBQ Japanese with in the movies? Are they illegal?

Thanks Paulina

RockhouseTom - 2-3-2007 at 02:29 AM

I'm looking into getting a bumper and winch package. Around $3,200 with a 16,000# winch (I'll have to save up for that one). Money that will be well spent as you should be able to drive away from most problems on the road, two legged or four.

[Edited on 2-3-2007 by RockhouseTom]

This is the bottom line

RockhouseTom - 2-3-2007 at 02:57 AM

Quote:
My peace of mind is utmost. This is a very serious individual choice and you must be able to live with the consequences of your action.

This cuts to the heart of this topic. The beauty of it is, we still have a choice.

abreojos - 2-3-2007 at 07:03 AM

I just carry a remote control and tell them I'm going to nuke them if the ___ with me! Act crazy enough and they will believe you!
Just kidding...if you need a gun, your in the wrong place, so get out and find something better.

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 09:37 AM

After all is said and done I am more likely than not to agree with Abreojos. His handle is perfect for his sentiment. Keep your eyes open, be respectful, don't do things to invite attention by the wrong element, and if the worst should happen, have a emergency backup plan. If the hairs on the back of your neck start to stand up, take action. We all need to listen to our sixth sense.

As for me, I think I would rather be dead than spend anytime at all in a Mexican prison. So, I will just keep doing what I have been doing and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the well thought out responses.

Viacondios todos.

Salsa - 2-4-2007 at 10:12 AM

I sent this to Fred Hoctor and it appeared in Western Outdoor News a few years ago.

"In July 1999 while returning from San Lucas Cove we were stopped at the
last federal inspection at one of the Ensenada toll booths, and they
found some spare flair gun shells in my boat. We had removed the flair
gun because the Vagabundos said it was illegal and you could go strait
to jail.
We almost got an extended vacation in Mexico. After being released to go
on twice, and their calling their supervisors, we finally got to go.
If you are correct, someone forgot to tell the federalles. I am not
going to risk it this year."

Don

Minnow Better Dead ?

MrBillM - 2-4-2007 at 10:29 AM

While I might understand that ending up in a Mexican or Prison "Might" turn out to be a fate worse than Death, it isn't always so. If that really is your position, why not have it both ways ? Carry the weapon well-hidden (pretty easy if you're willing to give up on easy access), use it if necessary to take out the Bad Guy(s), but be sure to save one round in the event the Policia catches up with you. At that time, you can make the "Dead" or otherwise decision.

The best and most reliable method is to place the barrel in your mouth. Anywhere else and there is danger of surviving in one state or another.

Buena Suerte.

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 10:37 AM

Bill, you are one funny guy.:rolleyes:

It seems somewhere in your vast intellectual learnings the term figure of speech was left out.

Please, in the future, don't try and think so hard on my behalf.:biggrin:

Minnow - 2-4-2007 at 11:01 AM

A friend. who is into cowboy shooting and Baja, told me of the time he was trying to fall asleep in his motorhome while camped at SLC, and shoved his hand between two pillows. Well, suffice it to say the next day a very expensive pistol found itself in a watery grave. Folks, if you travel in the states with arms, it probably is a good idea to go through your vehicle before you head to Mexico.:lol:

Key Chains AND Being Surprised by What You Find.

MrBillM - 2-4-2007 at 11:16 AM

I've got a couple of those Key Chains with .45ACP decoration. Both are now reserved for use within the U.S. since I had a similar encounter with a Trooper who "questioned" the Dummy Bullet.

Speaking of Ammunition, an OLD (now dead) friend and neighbor once asked me if I had a 30.06 rifle. After I replied Yes, he brought over a couple of WWII era Government issue 30.06 ammo. He said he didn't want to have them around anymore and I could have them to take North.

A few months later, he asked me about them and I told him I'd taken them out in the desert and buried them. While I appreciated the gift, there was NO WAY I was going to take a chance on Mex and U.S. Customs with something I could buy NEW for under 20 bucks. He was insulted. I said "Hey, you got rid of them because you were afraid of being caught, right "?

Once I brought an M1911 .45 into Baja by accident. I had attended a GTE company school which ended the evening before. Since I'm ALWAYS armed when up in the Big City, I had the weapon behind the front seat of my pickup. Hurrying home and loading my gear, I forgot about it. Stopped by the side of the road North of Tecate while my Dogs took care of business, I pulled the seat forward to get at a tool box and, SHOCKED, I looked at the weapon laying there. I unloaded the entire back of my truck, packed the weapon away at the bottom of some clothes and rags, and then reloaded completely. To find it, they were going to have to empty my truck. Returning home, I did the same thing. Luckily, no problem.

[Edited on 2-4-2007 by MrBillM]