BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Best place to hide my Pistol?
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 09:42 AM
Best place to hide my Pistol?

I know of several people, some on this board that travel baja armed. Several recent posters have even eluded to this fact. I was wondering what my fellow posters consider the best place to hide this item, either in their car or in their home?

FYI, I have been offered gun for sale in MX. I declined.

Do you carry/have access to, a large supply of cash, just in case......? What is a typical penalty? Do the benefits outweigh the risks, or is this just crazy?

When the white or black vans come for me, will I be able to say to them , "say hello to my little friend".:lol:

Disclaimer: This is only a theoretical discussion

Maybe if a few of the bad guys got blasted, the thugs might think twice about attacking Americans.

[Edited on 31-1-2007 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 09:49 AM

being somewhat interested.... don't you think the best responses would be by private email or U2U????
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 09:55 AM
Whoa, Minnow

We don't want you to get blasted back! :o

\"You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent them from nesting in your hair.\"
Swedish proverb
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 10:00 AM

The important thing to remember is that someone may have to take one for the team.:spingrin:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 10:00 AM

I'd hate to try and hide my pistol, it ain't no pea-shooter. :tumble::bounce:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 10:26 AM
Not Worth the Consequences !

It's no secret that I am one of those people who, North of the Border, would have come under the Democrats failed "Arsenal" legislation. I have a significant number of firearms and ammunition of all types.

However, I gave up long, long ago carrying a weapon South of the Border. IF you've got it hidden well enough to avoid detection, it's probably too difficult to get to in an emergency. Add to that the fact that said use would only be safe if there were NO bystander witnesses. Even in that case, whatever forced the use would necessitate killing everyone on the other side and then disposing of the evidence. For that reason, you wouldn't want to have a weapon that was traceable to you.

At one time (many, many years back) I was in the habit of carrying a backup auto in the Crossbed Toolbox on my truck. I had a cardboard box on one side in which I kept my engine and gear oil containers, bearing grease, etc along with clean and soiled rags for that purpose. I would place the handgun at the very bottom, under the dirty rags. Never a problem until one day at an Army Checkpoint, one of the troopers started poking through that box while talking to me. ! WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH ! .................I kept a smile on my face, made small talk and jokes and he gave up the unsanitary search, perhaps just in time. That's the last time I ever used that location. Somewhere down the road my heart resumed its normal rhythm.

In recent years, I've relied on alternate weapons i.e. A Marine Combat Knife, a Baseball Bat, a 5-Cell MagLite, "professional" Hornet Spray. At any given time, all of these are aboard. Fortunately, I've never had to test them.

[Edited on 1-31-2007 by MrBillM]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 10:55 AM

Is it legal to carry a old rusty ugly Machete too?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 11:26 AM

If you want some first hand information on the consequences of carrying a pistol, concealed, in your car you can check with Larry Chaves, who lives part time in the village of Ejido San Lucas.

I do believe he is still traveling back and forth to La Paz as a result of getting caught with the thing.

Of course you can always blame someone else for having it in your car, or blame someone for squealing on you for having it in your car. Lots of different excuses.

Scofflaws will always find a way to try the laws of Mexico.

[Edited on 1-31-2007 by losfrailes]
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 11:45 AM

Great answer Wayne.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 12:13 PM

Scofflaws. Come on wayne. Mexico is basically a lawless society. The golden rule in Mexico is he with the gold makes all the rules. If you have enough ready cash, getting caught with a gun is only a minor inconvienience. Don't you think? It is better to have a gun and not need one, than need one and not have it.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 12:25 PM

Guess it all depends on who finds your gun? You might get a free pass or you might get coke-a-cola sprayed up your nose along with other things that you probably aren't prepared to deal with.:spingrin: Go for it.:spingrin:
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Scofflaws. Come on wayne. Mexico is basically a lawless society. The golden rule in Mexico is he with the gold makes all the rules. If you have enough ready cash, getting caught with a gun is only a minor inconvienience. Don't you think? It is better to have a gun and not need one, than need one and not have it.

I could not disagree with you more. Mexico is NOT a lawless society. Granted that there are rules for the rulers, but just having enough ready cash will probably not bail you out if the Military Checkpoint should come upon a weapon in your car. You will go to jail. However temporarily. And you will appear in front of an arm of the law in the person of the court.

And as BillM points out, if you have the gun well enough hidden to escape detection, then it is also probably too well put away to be of any value. You just need to avoid circumstances where a gun might be necessary.

The signs are well posted entering Mexico. NO GUNS! And that is the law! If you disregard this sign ergo the law, do you not become a scofflaw?
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 12:32 PM

I told my wife about this thread and she told me where I could put it, but I am afraid that would either be to uncomfortable to drive like that, or would impair my vision to the point of being dangerous.:lol:

So what you are saying wayne, amigo, is that if I choose to do something illegal, I am no better than those who would do the same to me. A scofflaw.

Don't I have a right to protect myself and my family?

If you are a criminal if you have a gun, only criminals have guns. In Mexico, unfortunately, many times that includes the police.

[Edited on 31-1-2007 by Minnow]

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 12:56 PM

Just carry a bunch a m-onethousand firecrakers there legal right?

READY SET.....................
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 01:32 PM

Von, for home defense, that might not be a bad idea. Kinda like the flash bangs the cops in the states use. I thinks they are illegal in bajasur though.

Anyone know how to put a timer on one of those things, or do I just need to be friends with a smoker?:lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 01:35 PM

M-ONE THOUSANDS, what is that? Something like a road-side bomb?
Hey minnow..... Way wrong. Mexico has a billion laws. What is negotiable is the decision.
My suggestion is, if you want to carry, keep it right by your right thigh, on the seat. If anybody, as in anybody, approaches your window, put two in his neck then, carry on to the market or wherever you were going, hopefully to an ATM.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
M-ONE THOUSANDS, what is that? Something like a road-side bomb?
Hey minnow..... Way wrong. Mexico has a billion laws. What is negotiable is the decision.
My suggestion is, if you want to carry, keep it right by your right thigh, on the seat. If anybody, as in anybody, approaches your window, put two in his neck then, carry on to the market or wherever you were going, hopefully to an ATM.

M-1000's are those foot long firecrackers they sell all over Ensenada. One will take a hand off easy.

So what you are saying is Kill all the Mexicans, right Dennis.

I am thinking more on the lines of self defense. Say someone pulls along side of you and trys and box you in, maybe its 3:30am on the toll road. They start shooting. It sure would make them think twice if someone shot back.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 01:48 PM

Holy Crap...not a chance would I bring mine down. A while ago we were pulled over at a military check stop, and the butt end of my spear gun was sticking out from under a towel. (a pistol grip type)
What a chit show that was until they moved the towel...I definately dont want to find out what would happen to me if it were real.
I'll stick with my dive knife, and if time permitts my spear gun for issues that may arise.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 01:58 PM

It seems to me the best place to hide a pistol, if you really needed to carry one, would be in a holster on your body.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 02:07 PM

Ok Minnow your plan, now mine if they try to pull me over I'm going to0 pull over but I'm also going to try to get them to come in behind me, when we stop I'm into reverse and full bore backing into them there will be some damage to the rear of my vehicle but they are going to be out of business, and if its possible I will back them right off the hwy.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.