BajaNomad

BOOK: CRONOLOGIA DE BAJA CALIFORNIA-1500 T0 1956

dean miller - 3-20-2007 at 06:38 AM

In my travels I often aquire books; some are of immediate interest others I reserve for future reading and or reserch.

Several days ago I was searching for a document and came upon a book I had purchased many years earlier either in Mexico DF or in northern Baja. I suspect I purchsed it in Mexico DF since I often visted there during that period and had a sustained interest in thing Baja from many visits in the early 1950s.

I may have discovered a personal gold mine of Baja with considerable historical significance.

The book is "Cronologia de Baja California
del territorio y estado
De 1500 a 1956"

by Lic. Alfonso Salazar Rovirosa
96 pages, paper bound
perfect binding with staples
numerous line drawing & photographs

revista #1 1957
printed in Mexico DF.

The book is printed on very poor quality paper...several steps below newsprint. The printing is a reduced size typing.

The book measures 5-1/4 x 8-1/4 x 3/8

Any information on this book, the author or other books by the same author would be apreciated....

dm

Neal Johns - 3-20-2007 at 07:32 AM

Author also has Historia Del Estado De Baja California De 1500 a 1975 (1975 second edition) and Geografia del Estado de Baja California (1962).
Have not seen any of his work - above is all I know.

dean miller - 3-20-2007 at 04:47 PM

Neil Johns... I have so far found nothing on the author or his "books'--what was the source of your information?

The referenced book was so complete and informative that I wouldn't mind searching down the other two--if possible

dm

Neal Johns - 3-20-2007 at 06:09 PM

http://tinyurl.com/2zlb79

Note: the $15 copy was already sold when I checked. :fire:

dean miller - 3-20-2007 at 06:34 PM

Neil,
$15.00 was the least expensive...there were a number around $100.00 and three or four in the $135.00 range...

It is an interesting book but not a $135.00 interesting book.

I probably paid a few pesos for it...so save your books "thars gold in them thar old books!"

Thanks for the infromation,

DM

Paulina - 3-20-2007 at 06:58 PM

Now that I have both of you old bookworm-bibliophiles attention in the same thread, I wanted to ask a question of a book that is on my shelf.

The book is "Bouncing Down To Baja".

By Bill and Orv Wortman
Westernlore Press Los Angeles 1954
Library of Congress Catalog No. 54-12587
200 pages
Hardback, Paper cover/sleeve
Clean pages, black and white photographs, etc.

I am not curious as to the value, just want to know if either of you have heard of it before, or have this book in your collections. It was a great read, a lively account of a guy, a gal and a jeep.

As always,
Paulina<*)))>< aka WIW#1

Edit: Thanks Neal for the link, I found my book and it's top price is $50. Whoda thunk it?

[Edited on 21-3-2007 by Paulina]

Paulina

Baja Bernie - 3-20-2007 at 07:12 PM

I have it in my library and it is a fun read.

Thanks for the link, Neal.

[Edited on 3-21-2007 by Baja Bernie]

bajalera - 3-20-2007 at 07:26 PM

I have a copy too. A fun read.

Paulina - 3-20-2007 at 07:27 PM

Bernie y Bajalera,

I agree, it is a fun read and I love the photos! I am loving Neal's link, I've looked up a couple of books collecting dust on my shelf. I do have another question regarding another book that I looked up:

Title: Tales of Fishing Virgin Seas by Zane Grey
Copyright 1925
Green hardback cover with paper dust cover

When looking up this book, they listed it "Harpers code K - Z"
What does that mean?

My book says A - A.

Also, regarding the smell of these old books...some smell kinda musty-moldy, others like moth balls. Does this have to do with the tannins (sp?)in the paper, or should I worry that my books are rotting infront of my nose?

Thanks,
p.

[Edited on 21-3-2007 by Paulina]

Baja books

BAJACAT - 3-20-2007 at 07:40 PM

E-BAY is a great place to find Baja books, even do this one is not a book it's a magazine date February 1947 the name of it,is THE DESERT MAGAZINEpublished by Desert press Inc.I bought it because it has a article about PALOMAR CANYON I only pay about $6.00 including the shiping cost.. great ,magazine.

Desert Magazine.JPG - 47kB

pic #2

BAJACAT - 3-20-2007 at 07:41 PM

February 1947.JPG - 41kB

last pic.

BAJACAT - 3-20-2007 at 07:42 PM

Palms of Palomar Canyon.JPG - 49kB

Neal Johns - 3-20-2007 at 08:15 PM

Desert Magazine got Palomar and Isabel mixed up (reversed). The mistake was corrected in the paperback "Palm Canyons of Baja California" by Randall Henderson/Walt Wheelock.

Randall was one of the several Editors (over time) of Desert Magazine.

Here is a Walt Wheelock story:
Walt was a prolific desert writer and WAS Siesta Press, so when he joined our Desert Explorers organization, we were both pleased and expectant. On his first trip with us he gave us a little more than we expected. He rolled his 4wd! It turned out that all his desert exploring had been in 2wd pickups and this was his first 4wd. He was around 80 or so and that and a little lapse of attention laid him on his side with only sheet metal damaged. We had rented Zzyzx Desert Studies Center for out annual meeting and he drove it back to camp there.

Harpers code is a letter code used by Harper & Brothers, New York to identify first editions and date of publication.

Before I forget it (76 -sigh), You are all dead! dead! dead! for getting me to reveal my secret used book web site. :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-21-2007 by Neal Johns]

Paulina - 3-20-2007 at 08:32 PM

Quote:

Before I forget it (76 -sigh), You are all dead! dead! dead! for getting me to reveal my secret used book web site. :lol::lol::lol:

Lest I loose my favored WIW # I will not let this secret out. You can trust me....:saint:

P<*)))><

Neal Johns - 3-20-2007 at 08:40 PM

Aaaah Pauliiina, you are exempt, I have other plans for you, #1. :light:

David K - 3-20-2007 at 09:13 PM

This is a good book! Published in 1908!

books 034.jpg - 43kB

dean miller - 3-21-2007 at 08:04 AM

It is apparent that a bibliophile, magophile & ephemeraphile (if the last two terms are approprite) should be established for this forum...

<<<< "so may books --so little time to aquire and read" >>>

DM

David K - 3-21-2007 at 08:08 AM

That's for sure!

Neal Johns has posted a list of his collection here before...

The largest collector of Baja books we know of is Norm in Washington who goes by the handle 'Rockman' here on Nomad. He buys, sells, trades Baja publications... His list is extensive!

Maybe I will post a list of what I have for laughs... too wet to work today here in O'side!

David K - 3-21-2007 at 08:10 AM

I don't think Neal has this one???

It's about finding Baja's Lost Mission of Santa Isabel!:lol:

books 057.jpg - 50kB

dean

Baja Bernie - 3-21-2007 at 08:12 AM

that keeps getting talked around but no one ever does anything about it.

Here is another interesting one........."Long Walk to Mulege" by Howard Hale...........Takes place in February 1921

David K - 3-21-2007 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
that keeps getting talked around but no one ever does anything about it.

Here is another interesting one........."Long Walk to Mulege" by Howard Hale...........Takes place in February 1921

Here's Neal's list: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=275#pid1029

Here is Rockman's post about how to get his list: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16043

So, that leave me to get one done, eh Bernie?

dean miller - 3-21-2007 at 08:41 AM

Well then, David K & Baja Bernie, some one with great authority and influence--this certainly eliminates me- should get the ball rolling...

The used books are leaving the used book stores faster than the new RVs are crossing the border..

The time is NOW for some one to establish a thread...

DM

Neal Johns - 3-21-2007 at 08:45 AM

Yep, you are one up on me, David K.
By the way, I have never posted a list of the Baja books I have because I don't have a list!
I have posted a list of what I personally think are the classic "must have" Baja books. Here is the link:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22145#pid1998...

David K - 3-21-2007 at 09:34 AM

My list will take some time to produce... I will do it by subject group, as that is how they are organized in my bookcase... I will start a new thread for my list...

David

Baja Bernie - 3-21-2007 at 09:46 AM

No man may be all things to all men..............but on this board you come close my friend.

So get the list compiled so that us lazy ones can bask in 'our' own glory.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Neal thank you so much for the link that you provided to the world............the cost of books just went up and it is far too late to hit the delete button.

Hope one of you will answer Paulina's question about book conditions..........'cause I have one with similar problems. How do you get the pages unstuck.

David K - 3-21-2007 at 10:28 AM

Steam

bajalera - 3-25-2007 at 05:14 PM

I can't answer any of those questions, Paulina--but you've got me sniffing my books.