BajaNomad

Baja Home Insusurnace?

CortezBlue - 5-3-2007 at 08:06 AM

I am curious if anyone in San Felipe has Home Owners Insurance and if so, where did you get it and how much is it??

bajabound2005 - 5-3-2007 at 08:13 AM

We have it through MAPFRE. www.mapfretepeyac.com

BajaWarrior - 5-3-2007 at 08:14 AM

I got mine through Discover Baja, under $300 annualy including earthquake coverage for $100,000 coverage included two homes and one garage on same property. Some people in the area go through ING through Lynda in town.

You have to have an FM-3 to validate your insurance.

They told me they handled many claims in Mulege after Hurricane John.

Any feedback on those claims from Discover Baja?

[Edited on 5-3-2007 by BajaWarrior]

[Edited on 5-3-2007 by BajaWarrior]

bajalou - 5-3-2007 at 08:23 AM

I have it thru Alanis agency, San Felipe, don't remember the actual company. I have had a claim, a shed and contents destroyed by fire. They weren't quite as fast as I would have liked - but really not bad - 6 weeks from fire to check in hand - and paid way more than I expected since the shed wasn't listed as covered in the policy. Very happy with agent and company.

Side note - Agent said that settlement had been deposited in his account, but he hadn't received the paper work. I was leaving town that day so he wrote me a check and said we'd take care of the papers later.

bajabird - 5-25-2007 at 01:19 PM

Is having insurance really worth anything? I mean come on, are you ever really gonna get paid on anything that youve alread given an insurance company money for?

bajalou - 5-25-2007 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabird
Is having insurance really worth anything? I mean come on, are you ever really gonna get paid on anything that youve alread given an insurance company money for?

See my post above.

bajabird - 5-25-2007 at 03:56 PM

Good for you Lou, I have never heard of a happy recipient of a baja claim before. I myself have no burnable material stored or in structure. There has also been much debate on auto policies....

longlegsinlapaz - 5-25-2007 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabird

Have you ever been through a hurricane here??? Yes, in MY opinion, homeowner's insurance is a small price to pay to protect your home & possessions. Not everyone has a vacation casita, some of us live here full-time & have all our possessions here. Ditto on car insurance in a country where so many aren't insured & drive beaters! Maybe if you're in the Bill Gates or Donald Trump stratosphere, you can afford to go without & replace whatever whenever!

BajaDave - 6-7-2007 at 10:13 AM

Do any of these homeowner policies cover contents in event of burglary? If so, what kind of deductibles are there for that?

bajalou - 6-7-2007 at 04:32 PM

Each policy is different, but they do cover theft from break in. Different deductables could be set - check with the carrier.