BajaNomad

BLVD. 2000 (BC #201) Road Log & Photos

David K - 5-7-2007 at 11:46 PM

I was looking forward to trying the new free highway that connects the Ensenada road (Mex. 1) to the Tecate road (Mex. 2) without going through Tijuana... It also offers a really smooth way north or south from the Otay Border area!

Here is a GPS track of the route between Otay and Hwy. 1 that was posted on another web page... thanks to it's creator!

blvd-r.JPG - 50kB

David K - 5-7-2007 at 11:59 PM

MEXICO at Otay Border: Mile 0.0, Time 0:0

Head straight south, staying in left lanes. Follow signs for TECATE.

LEFT TURN at signal, slight curve to left just before signal: Mile 1.1, Time 0:03

Heading east on Blvd. Industrial... soon becomes divided highway!

Take new highway south, signed for Rosarito, Popotla, Ensenada (toll highway 2-D to Tecate curves to left, see toll gate, Big Horn Sheep monument almost unseen heading south): Mile 6.0, Time 0:13

Free Hwy. 2 (TECATE) interchange, continue south then southwest: Mile 13.0, Time 0:22

Cross the Rodriguez/ Tijuana reservoir and head into the hills...

Pass under the toll highway (Mex. 1-D) and come to the free highway (Mex. 1)... Mile 31.3, Time 0:38.

They will have it connected to the toll highway, but that work seems stalled. Too bad, but until then go a few miles on the free road to almost Puerto Nuevo where you can hop on the toll road for free.

Fox Baja Studio entrance is just to your right, Puerto Nuevo and access onto the toll highway is about 6 miles to your left.

[Edited on 5-8-2007 by David K]

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:01 AM

Photos taked on the trip north... The new highway 'Blvd. 2000' is designated Baja Califorina Highway 201

Book5 117r.JPG - 21kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:02 AM

Garita de Otay is the Otay Border Gate... so you will find the route well signed all the way from Popotla north!

Book5 121r.JPG - 19kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:03 AM

What a relief!!! No mas trafico de TJ...

Book5 123r.JPG - 21kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:06 AM

Between the Free Tecate highway interchange and the Toll (Cuota) Tecate interchange, there are a couple of four way stop signs for local traffic... but no complaints here!

Book5 131r.JPG - 26kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:07 AM

Here's the end of BC 201 at the Tecate Toll Highway...

Book5 133r.JPG - 21kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:08 AM

There's the giant big horn sheep monument... not very visible southbound on 201, but is northbound and from the Tecate road.

Book5 134r.JPG - 29kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:09 AM

Tijuana welcomes you!

Book5 138r.JPG - 24kB

David K - 5-8-2007 at 12:10 AM

This is how America welcomes you!

Baja is worth the wait!

Book5 139r.JPG - 26kB

To Otay??

John M - 5-8-2007 at 04:38 AM

David, for those few of us who have never crossed at Otay, and coming from the north, like on the 805 or I-15 - what's the easiest route to find the Otay crossing headed south?

Thanks, John M

BajaWarrior - 5-8-2007 at 05:34 AM

We took that new road from the Book Signing this past weekend. It's funny, after a while they stop using the words "Garita de Otay". So we thought we had missed a turn at La Presa or somewhere. And at a certain point you know you are heading east and the overhead signs indicate you are going toward Tecate, and it feels like your close too.

Then all of a sudden the sign says San Diego and Tijuana but no signage for Garita de Otay. Follow your nose at that point, we made it. Turned into border as soon as the sign said you could, single lane with many cutters up until the traffic circle. Seems far left was moving the fastest with many line splits once we reached the booths.

thanks Diane

John M - 5-8-2007 at 07:29 AM

We'll give it a try next time. John

jeans - 5-8-2007 at 07:36 PM

I tried that route a couple of weeks ago and I was concerned when it felt like I was going too far east. When I hit the Tecate Highway and started back-tracking, I wondered if there was an exit I could have taken that would provide a straighter route....It sounds like there is no shortcut?

Then I had trouble finding the Sentri line... dodging out of one line, getting stuck in a second line for about 20 minutes before it progressed to where I could U-turn out of it and continue searching. When I found it, the wait on a Sunday afternoon was 10 minutes. I can hardly wait until 125 is completed to Spring Valley...then it will be a breeze for us inland dwellers.

David K - 5-8-2007 at 08:13 PM

A 4 lane highway with few or no stops is a short cut! Yes, BC 201 does start 4.9 miles east of the road that heads south from the border... oh, well!

Mexicali East is also many miles the wrong way for most of us to use... but if the time is shorter, I would rather be driving than waiting in line at a closer border!

John, I am glad someone got back to you... Hwy. 905 is an east-west freeway that connects both I-5 and I-805 with Otay border... it become a six lane street with about 5 stop lights as it passes next to Brown Field airport, then curves south and bumps right into Mexico... no thinking needed. Just keep going 'straight', ie no turning off onto a side street to get to Mexico.

The Bajarunner had a bad experience with catching red lights last time he drove it... so, I timed it and it took me 10 minutes from Mexico to I-805... that's all!

[Edited on 5-9-2007 by David K]

Bajafun777 - 5-8-2007 at 10:36 PM

David K, I also took the new highway and jumped onto the Tecate toll road to Mexicali. The toll road all the way to Mexicali is good and the only thing that you need to do is pay attention in the mountains and slow down when the signs say dangerous curve and do not go faster than 40 mph on these curves. If I remember right, there are about 6 of these dangerous curves but the road was a good road. I went into Mexicali and it had a long line at both ports and usually on Sundays between 2 and 4 pm there is very little traffic at new port. So, I headed back to old port to downtown Calexico, had my buddy get out at the end of the park just as you get into the Sentri line (my buddy has not listened and got a Sentri so out he goes to walk across) and I was across the border in about 12 minutes. The line would have taken me about 2 hours if I did not use my Sentri. Man do I love that Sentri card and it is a good feeling when you speed by about 200 vehicles lined up that just do not want to spend the money to save time. Now $129 dollars for 5 years is definately a bargain. David your pictures of the new highway to the toll roads with little or no cars says it all!!! Later---bajafun777

David K - 5-17-2008 at 07:46 AM

bump

fdt - 5-19-2008 at 08:32 AM

By looking at the images posted here, maybe now you will understand why (to us locals) it is the most unsafe hwy to travel, day or night.

CaboRon - 5-20-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
By looking at the images posted here, maybe now you will understand why (to us locals) it is the most unsafe hwy to travel, day or night.

All the images show is a nice wide highway.

CaboRon

David K - 5-20-2008 at 09:42 PM

Yah, and each time I traveled it, it was a smooth, fast, easy drive between Popotla (Foxploration) and Otay or the Tecate Toll Hwy.

Oh well, it's an option... like vacationing more in the USA until Mexico get serious about its future, law and order, corruption, etc.

I hope there are no issues on Hwy. 5, because we are heading south Saturday... to the Sea of Cortez!:bounce:

Woooosh - 5-21-2008 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

All the images show is a nice wide highway.

CaboRon

No they don't. The area closest to TJ has several stop signs and cross traffic. Far from being wide open. This is where the problem is at night. This neighborhood was the end of the road until the rest of the highway opened last year. Nothing good happens at the end of a road in Mexico.

bajaguy - 5-21-2008 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

No they don't. The area closest to TJ has several stop signs and cross traffic. Far from being wide open. This is where the problem is at night. This neighborhood was the end of the road until the rest of the highway opened last year. Nothing good happens at the end of a road in Mexico.

Woosh.......do you mean stop signs on Industrial Blvd???? The last time I was on Blvd 2000 southbound (about 3 weeks ago) I didn't see any stopsigns. They have completed the overpass by the new Commercial Mexicana shopping center complex. It was a great trip, quick and very little traffic either way.

David K - 5-21-2008 at 05:28 PM

Last year there were 3 stops with cross traffic near the north end of Blvd. 2000... this month, only one... new interchanges have been built....

Hey, if you want to drive through downtown TJ with multiple stops, smokey busses and trucks and use the old free road, that's okay with me... but why put down an excellent highway that misses all that noise and traffic? Maybe because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is? Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000... So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

Roberto - 5-21-2008 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Maybe because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is? Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000... So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

Yep, and ignore a report from a local, who will have more information than this board will EVER have. Makes perfect sense to me Daahhhveed. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

fdt - 5-21-2008 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is?

If I was not concened for the safety of my friends, Baja Nomads, I would not post that information!
Quote:
Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000...

FYI, most of the time we travel south it is for camping purposes with scouts, our scout group meets in La Mesa, very, very, extreemly, super, ultra, almost at, you could say right by Blvd 2000 and guess what, neither I or other scouts like to use it because of the potential dangers, we take Lazaro Card##as (the road that comes from the bus depot) up to were it meets hwy 1 close to La Gloria.
Quote:
So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

Yes, lets. What can a person that lives in Tijuana know about the roads in his town :rolleyes:

David K - 5-22-2008 at 09:51 AM

Sorry Ferna... it is just that you NEVER use it... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

You do live about 50 miles closer to it than I, but I use it and you don't... so I don't see where we live having that big of a deal on the usefulness of a report on a road in Baja... It's who actually uses a road that can best describe what it's like... (understand that concept Roberto?)

I would only ask that people who drive roads in Baja be the ones who report on those roads... regardless of where you live.

Naturally, you are more aware of reported problems on roads near you, and you have posted often that the Blvd. 2000 is dangerous... So, we Nomads are aware and your input is appreciated... Those of us who have used it (in the daytime) and post here, have not had any problems. Would you say that it is only dangerous at night (like other north Baja roads)?

fdt - 5-22-2008 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry Ferna... it is just that you NEVER use it... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

Sorry but I HAVE used it and no, I have had no problems but I do have FIRST HAND reports from people that live here of MANY terrible problems including asaults, kidnappings and murders there.

fdt - 5-22-2008 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Naturally, you are more aware of reported problems on roads near you, and you have posted often that the Blvd. 2000 is dangerous... So, we Nomads are aware and your input is appreciated... Those of us who have used it (in the daytime) and post here, have not had any problems. Would you say that it is only dangerous at night (like other north Baja roads)?

Naturally, you can do whatever you want. Oh and specialy, according to you, go ahead and drive south Baja roads at night, only north baja roads are dangerous at night.
And another thing, please never use the free road, forget I even mentioned it, I'm not King Ferdinand :lol:

fdt - 5-22-2008 at 03:21 PM

Quote:

I would only ask that people who drive roads in Baja be the ones who report on those roads... regardless of where you live.

Can I call you on it next time you post anything about a road and don't drive it?

David K - 5-22-2008 at 04:40 PM

Ferna, it was you who said that where one lives does not make him an expert on that country... Because you are a Mexican and live closer to, say for example: Mision Santa Maria, than me... Does that mean my trip report/ web page http://vivabaja.com/msm is not as good as what you have to say about it after hearing someone else's report... simply because you live closer and are a Mexican?

Check this thread, it is MY trip report of the Blvd. 2000... what I saw and documented... that's all. In many places you have made it quite clear you wouldn't use it because of what you heard... great. But for you, Roberto, JD Trotter, etc. to discount the report as not being valid because I am an American, live some miles north of you, etc. is pretty dumb...

I am not, nor ever have said your reports were 'wrong'... I am only reporting on facts as I have seen them... as have other Nomads who have used Blvd. 2000... Facts, documentation, evidence VS. Rumors, hysteria, fear. I think both have been offered and the Baja traveler is now armed with enough information to make an intelligent decision.

I sorry you are not taking this in the spirit of friendly discussion, but on your other points... I don't like to drive any Baja roads at night (Norte or Sur)... not out of fear, but because I like to see the country I am driving through! I have driven Baja Norte roads a LOT at night, but only because of a time issue.

Yes, if I ever tell someone about a road I have not driven over, you can call me on it...

You know I am one of the biggest promoters of Baja California travel that does it only for my love of the place and not because of a business that makes money... When I discover a great place, be it a restaurant, historic site, off road adventure, or something that I think others would enjoy (like Shari's Bahia Asuncion photos) even if I haven't been there, yet, I share it here...

My motive is the sharing of information so that the Baja Nomads or any Baja loving people can see something or experience something, before it is gone... My Viva Baja parties were to help Baja loving people meet and find out about new places, books, activities in Baja...

Call me next time I post something you think is negative about you... Check the new web page I made of the Booksigning... http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/book6 YOUR web site is given with your photo because I think you are a valuable source of help to travelers AND because I like you very much, as a person... Ok amigo?

Blvd 2000 clarification

bajaguy - 5-22-2008 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

I have driven Blvd 2000 both north and south bound, generally during daylight, never a problem, and now that the overpass by the new Commercial Mexicana is completed, the cross traffic hazards are lessened.

Only driven southbound at night once and again, no problems.

I guess I am of a different mindset, as I will take in all advice and comments, then evaluate risks vs benefits. If someone anywhere (US, Mexico or Canada) wants to try and stop me while I am in a vehicle, regardless if they have a weapon or not, barring a complete vehicle breakdown on my part they will be in for quite a surprise.

My concern is running into a cow or horse on Blvd 2000. That's why I generally travel during daylight.

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by bajaguy]

Roberto - 5-22-2008 at 06:49 PM

There you go David -- you claim people attack you, yet when someone questions a post, you don't hesitate to say their opinion is dumb, and sarcastically ask about their ability to understand concepts.

Since that's the tone you want to set, let me ask YOU a question. What's the value of "local knowledge"? Those who live and work there FULL TIME, and don't base their understanding on a website or a book are the ones that have the most reliable information. Wouldn't you say that you have more information on you neighborhood regardless of how recently a tourist has been through the area? Is it REALLY that hard to understand? Get off your high-frickin' horse, David, and accept the fact that there are those who know more than you EVER will about getting out and about in Baja. Many of us managed to do that a LOOOOONNNNNG time ago. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As far as your statement that there have no problem reports regarding this road, what's your take on this? http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31461#pid3206...

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by Roberto]

David K - 5-22-2008 at 10:14 PM

I didn't say their opinion was dumb. I said: YOU and others saying that because I live 50 miles north of Ferna makes my trip report wrong, is what's dumb.

Doesn't matter WHERE you live IF you never (or sometimes) use a road.... Because, someone who just used that road KNOWS more about it's current condition. That's all I have been saying.

The link you gave still doesn't come from anyone with FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE... did you read it? That is what we in America call 'hear-say', information from someone else other than the person doing the report.

Understand that is all FINE with me... but AS I SAID ALREADY, Personal experience reports (like what BAJAGUY just posted above you) have a HIGHER value to the traveler, that's all.

There is nothing rude or anti personal with making a logical statement like that... and nothing against Ferna was implied... The information in my trip report is 100% correct when I made the report... and a year later it seems the same except we didn't go to the Otay border, so didn't experience the construction reported by others... except it was better with only one 4 way stop instead of three. Ferna has frequently advised against anyone using it and to drive through downtown Tijuana, instead... That's his desire, and that is fine for him to advise... He lives there and drives downtown Tijuana daily, afterall!

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by David K]

fdt - 5-23-2008 at 12:29 PM

I'll stop at this:
Neither you or I have been victims of a hijacking, kidnapping or armed robery in Baja California yet, so safety issues in Baja California are non existant because it's all 'hear-say'
Quote:
That is what we in America call 'hear-say', information from someone else other than the person doing the report.

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by David K]

David K - 5-23-2008 at 01:20 PM

Ferna, I said those kind of reports are fine... keep up the good work.

I was replying to Roberto, not you with the comment that someone who has driven the road has the most recent (best) information on that road, no matter what country he was born in. Road Conditions is what I am talking about (this forum)... Reported crimes and problems belongs in Baja News forum...

Have a nice weekend... come on over the the gulf side join us on the beach!

fdt - 5-23-2008 at 02:27 PM

Can't travel right now but enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

David K - 5-23-2008 at 02:36 PM

Thanks Ferna... You, Simone and the family have a great one as well!

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2008 at 05:41 PM

Here is a video to show some of the landmarks and what the terrain looks like when traveling along Blvd. 2000 as you get near the Pacific coast and towards the La Presa reservoir.

Baja Video w/Blvd. 2000
(Please ignore the test tone for first 8 sec.)

fdt - 5-26-2008 at 06:44 AM

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/25052...

[Edited on 5-26-2008 by fdt]

fdt - 5-26-2008 at 08:45 AM

Oh, it was in broad daylight 10AM
http://www.afntijuana.info/2008/mayo/25mayo/balacera.html

Roberto - 5-30-2008 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/25052...

But, was it witnessed FIRST HAND by a Nomad? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Besides, Ferna, you are assuming that David can read either one of those articles.

Tecate crossing.

dianaji - 11-9-2008 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
MEXICO at Otay Border: Mile 0.0, Time 0:0

Head straight south, staying in left lanes. Follow signs for TECATE.

LEFT TURN at signal, slight curve to left just before signal: Mile 1.1, Time 0:03

Heading east on Blvd. Industrial... soon becomes divided highway!

Take new highway south, signed for Rosarito, Popotla, Ensenada (toll highway 2-D to Tecate curves to left, see toll gate, Big Horn Sheep monument almost unseen heading south): Mile 6.0, Time 0:13

Free Hwy. 2 (TECATE) interchange, continue south then southwest: Mile 13.0, Time 0:22

Cross the Rodriguez/ Tijuana reservoir and head into the hills...

Pass under the toll highway (Mex. 1-D) and come to the free highway (Mex. 1)... Mile 31.3, Time 0:38.

They will have it connected to the toll highway, but that work seems stalled. Too bad, but until then go a few miles on the free road to almost Puerto Nuevo where you can hop on the toll road for free.

Fox Baja Studio entrance is just to your right, Puerto Nuevo and access onto the toll highway is about 6 miles to your left.

Hi,

i'd love to try this route from la mision. if i take the toll road to Puerto Nuevo, can u give me some simple directions from there? i'm not quite understanding.

thanks for any help.

diana:?::?:

bajabound2005 - 11-9-2008 at 08:41 PM

you can take the free road...go NORTH. If you get on the toll road, exit at Puerto Nuevo. Take the free road north about 7 miles. When you come to a stop sign working on wants to be a stop light at a 3 way intersection in POPOTLA, take a right hand turn. There is a sign directing you to Tecate. From there, follow David's directions.

dianaji - 11-9-2008 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
you can take the free road...go NORTH. If you get on the toll road, exit at Puerto Nuevo. Take the free road north about 7 miles. When you come to a stop sign working on wants to be a stop light at a 3 way intersection in POPOTLA, take a right hand turn. There is a sign directing you to Tecate. From there, follow David's directions.

great! thanks...think i get it now.

diana:bounce::biggrin:

BajaGringo - 11-9-2008 at 09:02 PM

Diana - it is a great way to go to get to Otay or Tecate like udo does but right now it is not safe to drive alone at night.

dianaji - 11-9-2008 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Diana - it is a great way to go to get to Otay or Tecate like udo does but right now it is not safe to drive alone at night.

Thanks for your concern! I have enough problem finding my way around in Mexico, and have no intention traveling during the night. I am slowly learning how to avoid the toll roads and even like the free road, except for Tijuana. I try to leave La Mision around 10 a.m. or at 2:00 p.m., and always looking for the best times to avoid traffic.

Diana

Udo - 11-10-2008 at 08:47 AM

Diana,
My wife and I will be in La Mision area (La Fonda Hotel) on December 12-14.
U2U me directions to your place & we'll drop by for a "HOLA". Or, you can drop by the hotel room and ask Cindy at the front desk (she lives in La Mision) what room we are in.

yellowklr - 1-25-2009 at 12:03 PM

What is the driving time from Popotla to Tecate?

Bajahowodd - 1-25-2009 at 04:56 PM

Let's just say that if you are in Ensenada, you should take the highway just North of town to Tecate. If you are already up by Rosarito, it makes sense to take 2000, if you really need to cross at Tecate. If you are in Ensenada, driving all the way up to 2000, and curving back to Tecate seems like a waste of time. IMHO

David K - 9-15-2009 at 10:00 AM

Bump for Paul

boe4fun - 9-16-2009 at 09:44 AM

Thanks for that DK

David K - 9-16-2009 at 05:55 PM

Give our best to Coco... What you are doing for him is very noble!

105 049.jpg - 47kB

BAJACAT - 9-16-2009 at 06:44 PM

I wouldn't take 2000 after dark,,, is loonely as it is in the day time..

Pacifico - 9-29-2009 at 06:52 PM

So is Blvd. 2000 now connected to the toll road or do you still have to take the free road for a little bit?

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by Pacifico]

Mexicorn - 9-29-2009 at 06:57 PM

Blvd 2000 is the No.1 body dump site in all of Mexico Great Road! Say hello to the Santa Muerte shrine on the side of the road for me.
FYI Stay away from that road! unless your Dennis from Punta Dumb burro...

David K - 9-30-2009 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
So is Blvd. 2000 now connected to the toll road or do you still have to take the free road for a little bit?

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by Pacifico]

Last I saw/ heard... the connection is still uncompleted. However, the free road is now 4 lanes from Popotla to Puerto Nuevo where you re-connect to the toll road (if you wish). Staying on the free road is a nice option to consider.

The last time we drove the Blvd. 2000, it was VERY busy, lots of traffic, trucks, etc. Since we all know to not drive after dark in northern Baja, I would think that continued fear talk of this modern freeway is unwarranted. Plenty of Nomads use it and are still here!

bajaguy - 9-30-2009 at 09:08 AM

Drove Blvd 2000 on Sept 24th southbound and northbound on the 28th. No problems and no bodies observed on the side of the road. On my nothbound trip it was about 5:30AM and DARK....light traffic.

Watch for cross traffic on Blvd 200 around the Commercial Mexicana/Wal-Mart/Home Depot shopping center as there is uncontrolled access to the highway.

The Puerto Nuevo on ramp to the toll road is closed for the repaving/construction on the S/B toll road lanes. I used the Cantimar on ramp, just across from Ruben's Palms and the Pemex AM-PM

DENNIS - 9-30-2009 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Watch for cross traffic on Blvd 200 around the Commercial Mexicana/Wal-Mart/Home Depot shopping center as there is uncontrolled access to the highway.

Yeah, Terry....that area is murder. Merging traffic comes at you from both sides.

bajaguy - 9-30-2009 at 11:13 AM

Yup, and don't forget the pedestrians......it's like playing Frogger.............

Bajahowodd - 9-30-2009 at 11:20 AM

What makes it worse, especially Northbound, is that the highway is rural and wide open for so many miles, encouraging speeding. Then, all of a sudden, cross-traffic and pedestrians. I really think they ought to install a warning sign or two.

bajaguy - 9-30-2009 at 11:23 AM

They have over the highway signs advising that you are entering and leaving a urban zone, but they probably need to install some flashing lights with the signs

Bajahowodd - 9-30-2009 at 11:25 AM

Right. Urban zone doesn't mean a whole lot to many folks.

David K - 12-22-2009 at 11:26 PM

Bump for Boojum...

Pacifico - 12-23-2009 at 04:47 PM

I just came across a few pics that I took last time I went through the Otay crossing and took Blvd. 2000. It is a super easy route. Just follow the previous directions given in this thread and make the left turn onto Blvd. Industrial. This is Blvd. Industrial right after you make the left:

Then, the road pretty much looks like this until the main turn onto Blvd. 2000:

The turn is coming.....

The main turn:

The rest of the way is smooth sailing until you run into the old free road in Popotla. Turn left (south) and jump onto the toll road wherever you can. I hope this helps anyone who hasn't gone this way.....

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by Pacifico]

Bajahowodd - 12-23-2009 at 04:52 PM

We've been through this 2000 thingy many times. My problem is that once you get to Popotla, you've got to drive miles on the free road. I hesitate to believe that folks would take this route to save a couple of bucks. on the other hand, while I most often take this route N/B because the wait at Otay is usually shorter than San Ysidro, I don't see any time benefit to passing through Otay S/B, if you are coming down the 5 or 805. The reverse is true.

Pacifico - 12-23-2009 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
We've been through this 2000 thingy many times. My problem is that once you get to Popotla, you've got to drive miles on the free road. I hesitate to believe that folks would take this route to save a couple of bucks. on the other hand, while I most often take this route N/B because the wait at Otay is usually shorter than San Ysidro, I don't see any time benefit to passing through Otay S/B, if you are coming down the 5 or 805. The reverse is true.

True....I only took this route because I had to declare stuff at the Otay crossing. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

David K - 12-24-2009 at 08:25 AM

The free road south of Popotla to Puerto Nuevo is 4 lanes, now... Not so bad anymore.

Use the Blvd. 2000 for going to/ coming from Tecate, as well....

Bajahowodd - 12-24-2009 at 12:51 PM

Aren't there still some narrow bridges that screw it up?

David K - 12-25-2009 at 09:43 AM

Not anymore... It was all wide, paved roadway from Rosarito to Puerto Nuevo ... and it has been a while since we went that way.

What is sad, is the red tape keeping the Blvd. 2000 and Toll Highway 1-D interchange from being completed... What is it that makes government run programs so inefficient and wasteful...?? :no:

Udo - 12-25-2009 at 10:27 AM

Merry Christmas, David and your beautiful wife Lizabeth.

We drove the four lane from Popotla a couple of weeks ago, and you are right in your assesment of the four lane all the way to Cantamar, and will concur with Bajahowodd with his assesment of bridges. There are two of them that are almost finished (my guess is 2-3 months). This will allow an uninterrupted 4 lane from Popotla to Cantamar, a distance of about 7 easy miles. One benefit of the four lane is that now there is an ALTO sign right at the entrance to Puerto Nuevo. And with the lack of tourists making the Puerto Nuevo lobster treck, they are now upgrading their sewer system, and things are a little smelly when the wind blows from the north. The pavement is now also finished throughout the town with exception of the road that parallels the water, it is still dirt and very bumpy. I don't think they will ever pave that one because most of the tenants on the road (with exception of now three restaurants [one of which is excellent, El Pescador]) are tourist trinket vendors, and they don't pay hardly anything in taxes.
David, I heard it third hand that the Feds are figuring out how to fund a toll-booth at the Blvd 2000/toll road interchange so they may obtain partial fares for the drive to Ensenada. The interchange is finished, however, it is currently blocked. Just as the exit from Blvd 2000 heading North to Rosarito.

I can see it coming that Blvd 2000 will be a toll road one day. It's too nice of a drive.
Just be aware that after Cantamar, the construction is really making a dusty/muddy mess with no sense of direction ether way.

[Edited on 12-25-2009 by udowinkler]

David K - 12-25-2009 at 11:56 AM

Merry Christmas to you Udo and your beautiful wife Janna...

I hope that Elizabeth and I will see you in Baja in the New Year! Perhaps on the road to Mision Santa Maria this February?

Udo - 12-25-2009 at 12:16 PM

Hey!
Since that is near Cataviņa, we could work it out that we can hook up. We will be going to San Ignacio around the third week in February...whale watching. We could hook up on the way down or back if that comes out to be around the time you are there.

Bajahowodd - 12-25-2009 at 12:44 PM

"David, I heard it third hand that the Feds are figuring out how to fund a toll-booth at the Blvd 2000/toll road interchange so they may obtain partial fares for the drive to Ensenada. The interchange is finished, however, it is currently blocked. Just as the exit from Blvd 2000 heading North to Rosarito.

I can see it coming that Blvd 2000 will be a toll road one day. It's too nice of a drive.
Just be aware that after Cantamar, the construction is really making a dusty/muddy mess with no sense of direction ether way."

That makes complete sense, Udo. Making it easier for folks to avoid the Rosarito toll will just cut revenues. Only question is since it can't be very expensive to erect a toll booth, what are they waiting for?

bajaguy - 12-25-2009 at 03:33 PM

It will be interesting to see how they block off the numerous feeder roads along Blvd 2000, and what the locals will do.

[Edited on 12-25-2009 by bajaguy]

David K - 12-26-2009 at 11:07 PM

Baja Guy, 'howodd' makes it sound like they want to collect something for the portion of the Ensenada toll road that Blvd. 2000 drivers, southbound will use. That 2000 will remain free... all to reduce congestion in Tijuana. ??

David K - 2-17-2010 at 11:57 AM

bump for Fred-O

soņador - 1-25-2011 at 10:14 AM

Does anyone have recent information on crossing at Otay (going south). We plan to cross around 7 am on Sunday morning and will need FMT's.
Muchas Gracias!

David K - 1-25-2011 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soņador
Does anyone have recent information on crossing at Otay (going south). We plan to cross around 7 am on Sunday morning and will need FMT's.
Muchas Gracias!

We crossed there going south last Sept. (2010)... I posted all the details and photos in my trip report.

The renamed the highway to CORREDOR 2000, as well.

Here is the direct link: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47965

bajaguy - 1-25-2011 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Muchas Gracias!

I believe I sent you the latest info on the Otay crossing as of January 2, 2011, and yes, you will need to get FMM's (formerly FMT's)

David K - 1-25-2011 at 06:57 PM

Unless his trip last 3 days or less (or maybe 7 days) AND

He remains in the 'Border Zone' (no further than Maneadero, 80 miles south) or (San Quintin) or (all of Baja Norte)... ???

I think soņador was saying he needs them, anyway...

SoCal-Bob - 1-27-2011 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Muchas Gracias!

I crossed at Otay and traveled Blvd 2000 to Popotla in December. Previously I always crossed at San Ysidro and took the Toll Road along the coast. I will continue to use Otay from now on.

The only bummer about Otay to Popotla is that the first available entry onto the Toll Road south is permanently barricaded and the day I traveled they were doing construction on the second on-ramp, so I had to continue on the free road for a good bit longer. Not a big deal, but there is a significant difference between the quality of the free road and Toll road.

Also, on your way back, when you take the turn from Blvd 2000 to Industrial Blvd back west toward Otay, there are two lanes that exit right and go around the hill. I strongly suggest you stay in the right lane, even if the left lane is completely open.

As I rounded the hill to Industrial Blvd, there was a huge pot hole that I didn't see until the last minute. Fortunately, it swallowed a VW bug before me and I just drove right over the VW. :lol:

[Edited on 1-28-2011 by SoCal-Bob]

soņador - 1-27-2011 at 09:43 PM

Thank you so much for the info!

bajaguy - 1-27-2011 at 10:06 PM

Otay/Blvd 2000 is easy squeezy.

The southbound access to the toll road is either Cantimar or La Mission.....Puerto Nuevo is blocked

Baja travel

soņador - 1-27-2011 at 10:10 PM

We trust that all will go smooth and we'll post updates as we can too!

David K - 10-3-2011 at 07:46 PM

Bump for Gypsy Jan...