BajaNomad

Isn't anybody fishing?

Alan - 5-11-2007 at 06:49 AM

Dragging my boat to La Paz next weekend for the summer but not seeing any fish reports here. What gives? Hopefully everyone is too busy catching to take time to report. Oh well, at least I still have mexfish.com.

Hope to see you on the water soon. I can't wait. I really need a SOC fix.:lol:

BajaBruno - 5-11-2007 at 08:46 AM

For some reason, the La Paz fisherpeople don't report much, from what I have seen. I'd like to hear more from them, as I'm sure you would, also.

BajaBruno - 5-11-2007 at 12:04 PM

Pompano, thanks for the info....as for preserving the resource,

I've been a catch and release fisherguy since my early days fly-fishing trout in the Sierras. I rarely kill a fish and I usually try to release even dorado. Problem is, the panga guides I have used, even with outfits that supposedly stress conservation, simply refuse to release fish.

I can't tell you how many people I know who have gone billfish fishing and told the captains, "release any fish I catch," and have been told in return, "Oh, this fish is going to die, so we will keep it." Somehow, EVERY fish is going to die; or releasing it is going to send the other fish to some other state; or the implied, "If you start releasing, I'm going to stop putting you on fish."

I know they aren't all that way, but every one I've every fished with was, and I know a lot of other guys who have had the same experience. I rarely ever use a guide anymore, just for that reason.

Anyway, I am running off on my pet peeve and getting off topic.

fishbuck - 5-11-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Dragging my boat to La Paz next weekend for the summer but not seeing any fish reports here. What gives? Hopefully everyone is too busy catching to take time to report. Oh well, at least I still have mexfish.com.

Hope to see you on the water soon. I can't wait. I really need a SOC fix.:lol:

I don't think there's much to know. Go to Punta Arena and fish between the point and the island.
If the wind is bad then stay in close. Works every time I've fished there. Dorado,Tuna or Snappers. Maybe Billfish or Wahoo.

Capt. George - 5-11-2007 at 12:26 PM

Alan check U2U

fishbuck - 5-11-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Yellowtail are good, but slowing as the action moves north to BOLA.

Hey Pompano, when would you say the peak Bola yellowtail run is?
I want to try and get to San Fransquito this year. I've heard it's possible to catch firecrackers right of the beach.
Anybody know if that is true?

Alan - 5-11-2007 at 12:41 PM

I know about mexfish and identified it in the original post. I also follow Tailhunter Intl, bloodydecks, Fisherman's Fleet and all of the others. I just found it strange that with water temps on the increase and moving into prime season it seemed strange not to many are posting. Of course Pompano's reports are there to keep me jonesing. What I was most interested in was a shot at wahoo. Still need to cross that off my list.

I fully support CPR and is another reason for taking my own boat but the main reason is hunting the fish and finding them is almost as satisfying as catching. I try to limit people to just enough for dinner. I am not a fan of fish that has been frozen, Wahoo in a foodsaver bag is an exception of course!

Why they're reluctant to release

Skipjack Joe - 5-11-2007 at 12:41 PM

It's a pet peeve of mine also BajaBruno.

The reasons to kill fish are endless. I think many of them are augmenting their income by selling your fish. Perhaps a better tip would help but you should be able determine the fate of your fish without appeasing anyone.

Another reason seldom given is that gaffing a fish is much safer and easier on the hands than releasing the animal. My guides were using a cloth to tail a dorado (they're slippery devils) in order to protect their hands from the spines on their fins. Releasing fish is a pain in the burro. They come home with cuts and if you are a guide those things don't heal fast. Having salt in those cuts for days is a drag.

Alan - 5-11-2007 at 01:15 PM

Yellowtail start boiling on the surface around the end of May in BoLA then go wide open stupid about mid-June.

OLDFEZZYWIG - 5-11-2007 at 01:23 PM

Has anyone been fishing on the East Cape lately ? If so how is it this year ?
I have four more weeks and I will be down there it's just an added bonus if the fishing is good . Counting the minutes !!!!!!

Regards

Wig

Don Alley - 5-11-2007 at 03:46 PM

East Cape: I was there a couple of weeks ago, fair for marlin and a few dorado. A few tuna have showed. I may be going out for a day Tuesday.

Yellowtail Around Loreto, excellent fishing in March and the first few days of April, then not so good, even poor. It doesn't seem to hold up as long and as well as the reports from the Santa Rosalia area, and when it's good we often go a long way.

Releasing fish I've had captains that had fits over releasing fish. I've had captains that support releasing fish, say it's great, but almost every fish has to be killed for one reason or another.

Offhand, I cannot recall a skipper that likes circle hooks, which will be required for all US Atlantic billfish fishing next year.

When I was a kid, billfish were released by cutting the leader close to the fish. Fast, easy, little immediate trauma to the fish. They said the hook will fall out, work its way out, rust out, whatever. Can't say I know. Today, the method is to remove the hook, and pull the fish aboard for a photo. We did that a week or so ago, but I really don't need any more captive billfish photos.

I saw browsing on Charkbait that they sell "release sticks." Maybe these things help. Short of just cutting the line, releasing a nice bull dorado may be like jumping in a sack of cats.

As I mentioned, circle hooks are being required in some places, and that after some research. Using circle hooks, release mortality numbers for billfish have been very good. I really liked them for dorado last year; with a two fish limit one can be done quickly if you keep gut-hooked fish. With the circles you can virtually eliminate that, and chose which fish, if any, to take home.

Barbless hooks are another area to explore...

flyfishinPam - 5-11-2007 at 04:05 PM

Don, the captains don't like what they don't understand. After years of educating them on the design and purpose of circle hooks or any other foreign equipment or technique they warm up to it, just like they've warmed up to releasing fish, guiding fly fishing clients or having a woman for a boss :lol:

bill erhardt - 5-11-2007 at 06:37 PM

Alan....... It is kind of an in between time for fishing in Loreto. Yellowtail action is winding down and dorado are here, but they are still mostly pretty small. There are also marlin and sailfish in the area but they have not been very hungry. I went south to Catalana today and had two marlin runouts, but neither stuck. I also caught 8 or 9 dorado, the largest around 20 lbs. Last week I took a 3 day trip down to El Bajo about 35 miles north of La Paz. Two of the three days were a little choppy, but it was a good trip. I found marlin around Las Animas, about 70 NM from Loreto, a sailfish off Santa Cruz and little else. The best fishing news for you, however, is that the wahoo are biting on the East Cape. That includes the south end of Cerralvo which will be within your reach when you are in La Paz. Actually, the south end of Cerralvo is only about 40 further south than El Bajo. I am tempted to run down on the water and give it a try myself.
If you are coming down next weekend you should time your trip to be in Loreto on Friday and Saturday. There is going to be a Governor's Cup fishing tournament. Registration is Friday and fishing is one day only on Saturday. The present plan is to give prizes for the largest dorado, wahoo, tuna or yellowtail in the open class. Registration is free and first prize is 25,000 pesos. You should think about it.

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by bill erhardt]

comitan - 5-11-2007 at 06:51 PM

If fishing the south end of Cerallvo its better to launch at Muertos(La Serena) only 12 miles b y water and when the wind picks up from the north you are going with the swell coming back and Wahoo fishing is best the earliest you can get out.

Ken Bondy - 5-11-2007 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
I want to try and get to San Fransquito this year. I've heard it's possible to catch firecrackers right of the beach.

Definitely true. I've seen yellowtail caught from the beach at San Francisquito many times. Not always just firecrackers either. Used to happen pretty regularly in the late summer.

++Ken++

fishbuck - 5-11-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely true. I've seen yellowtail caught from the beach at San Francisquito many times. Not always just firecrackers either. Used to happen pretty regularly in the late summer.

++Ken++

Ya, that's what I'm talking about. Anyone want to go!

Alan - 5-12-2007 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Calling all fishermen.....It's 4:45 a.m. Saturday, just heading out the door for the ramp. Come on, time to fish! :D

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by Pompano]

Soon, very soon.

Governer's Cup Tournament

flyfishinPam - 5-12-2007 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Alan....... It is kind of an in between time for fishing in Loreto. Yellowtail action is winding down and dorado are here, but they are still mostly pretty small. There are also marlin and sailfish in the area but they have not been very hungry. I went south to Catalana today and had two marlin runouts, but neither stuck. I also caught 8 or 9 dorado, the largest around 20 lbs. Last week I took a 3 day trip down to El Bajo about 35 miles north of La Paz. Two of the three days were a little choppy, but it was a good trip. I found marlin around Las Animas, about 70 NM from Loreto, a sailfish off Santa Cruz and little else. The best fishing news for you, however, is that the wahoo are biting on the East Cape. That includes the south end of Cerralvo which will be within your reach when you are in La Paz. Actually, the south end of Cerralvo is only about 40 further south than El Bajo. I am tempted to run down on the water and give it a try myself.
If you are coming down next weekend you should time your trip to be in Loreto on Friday and Saturday. There is going to be a Governor's Cup fishing tournament. Registration is Friday and fishing is one day only on Saturday. The present plan is to give prizes for the largest dorado, wahoo, tuna or yellowtail in the open class. Registration is free and first prize is 25,000 pesos. You should think about it.

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by bill erhardt]

I am miffed as to why the governor's cup tournament that is supposed to celebrate the fishing families of Loreto and the other towns and cities throughout Baja Sur, allows foreigners to participate. The news says that the tournament is for the benefit and enjoyment for the fishermen and their families in these pueblos and the prizes are substantial for one who may win them. There is very little information on how to sign up, nobody knows how to join this event, the coopperativa, Arturos, myself the tourism office... the newspapers say that it is for the fishing families who work in the industry. Then why are foreigners allowed to participate and win this? I understand Bill won this tournament last fall off Lopez Mateos for lack of very many participants? sorry for my opinion but the prizes are meant for those who this event is being presented for and any of the pangueros who win $25,000 or a boat and motor will be very deserving of it. I'd sure hate to see a wealthy gringo win it over a deserving panguero. For the record my husband and I will not be participating, as I would rather see someone win who really needs the prize.

flyfishinPam - 5-12-2007 at 07:22 AM

Link to the El sudcaliforniano "Governor's Cup" coverage:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n261479.htm

from the article: "El empresario cabano que el proposito de este torneo de pesca, Copa Gobernador que se organiza en todo el estado, es rendir un homenaje a los pescadores sudcalifornianos, quienes con su esfuerzo y trabajo logran que turistas que acuden a pescar, regresen ano con ano dejen ganancias a todos los que dependen directa o indirecdtamente del sector turistico"

in a nutshell the tourney organizers proposed this event in appreciation of the hard work the captains do in the fishing industry to promote continued tourism and that everyone in the state benefits from their hard work...

Alan - 5-12-2007 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
I am miffed as to why the governor's cup tournament that is supposed to celebrate the fishing families of Loreto and the other towns and cities throughout Baja Sur, allows foreigners to participate. The news says that the tournament is for the benefit and enjoyment for the fishermen and their families in these pueblos and the prizes are substantial for one who may win them. There is very little information on how to sign up, nobody knows how to join this event, the coopperativa, Arturos, myself the tourism office... the newspapers say that it is for the fishing families who work in the industry. Then why are foreigners allowed to participate and win this? I understand Bill won this tournament last fall off Lopez Mateos for lack of very many participants? sorry for my opinion but the prizes are meant for those who this event is being presented for and any of the pangueros who win $25,000 or a boat and motor will be very deserving of it. I'd sure hate to see a wealthy gringo win it over a deserving panguero. For the record my husband and I will not be participating, as I would rather see someone win who really needs the prize.

Sorry Pam but on this one I have to disagree with you. I doubt seriously if Mr. Erhardt's win was the result of a lack of participants. I have follwed his postings on several boards for quite some time and I think he is a very accomplished and responsible angler. Please don't lessen his win. It is not him those type of comments reflect poorly of.

As far as the Governor's Cup I can understand your point if that is the way they are "marketing" it but the bottomline is, it is their tournament and therefore, their rules. Foreign entries are probably necessary to generate the prizes being offered. Tournaments often designate a percentage of the revenue for contribution to a cause. Perhaps that is how they plan to assist the local pangueros? Having fished with many pangueros for many years I can only say that any foreigner that hopes to outfish a local who knows the waters as well as their own backyards, more power to them. I would have to say they have a very poor chance for success but hooray for them for making their donation to the cause.

I am sorry if you don't like the way they are marketing this tournament but nothing is stopping you from hosting your own tournament solely for and with the pangueros of Baja. Perhaps a percentage could be donated towards repair and improving of the town ramp so all the local pangueros will benefit and someone would have great bragging rights as the "Best Panguero in Baja"... at least until next year.

Don Alley - 5-12-2007 at 11:44 AM

It's free. I may fish, with my neighbor. If we can get a boat; mine won't be ready. He brought this poster over today, that was delivered to his house:

gc.jpg - 25kB

I said I was miffed

flyfishinPam - 5-12-2007 at 12:07 PM

I don't mean to lessen anyone's win nor do i think that Bill didn't deserve it. I don't udnerstand why the news about this event is saying "The purpose of the Governor's Cup Fishing Tournament, according to the "Cabeno" entrepreneur, is to honor the families of the sudcalifornianos fishermen, in their effore to promote and improve the sport fishing industry and the tourism that it brings to our community." (fron the new Loreto News page 14 current edition)

How do you think that some of the pangueros can compete against a boat like Bills? I understand that anyone can join and if that's the rules, that's the rules but I don't appreciate the way its being put over like a philonthropical event, which it may be.

If this was for the benefit of tourism (and not propoganda) then how come the tourism businesses don't even know about it and cannot promote it? Just doesn't add up, that's all.

delivered to his house?

flyfishinPam - 5-12-2007 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
It's free. I may fish, with my neighbor. If we can get a boat; mine won't be ready. He brought this poster over today, that was delivered to his house:

How come I didn't get one delivered to my house, my husband is a panguero and we've done a lot to promote tourism in Loreto. Never got one at my store, the cooperative didn't know any details of this event thats to take place in a week as of this morning, I'm located in a hotel in the center of town and nobody here knows about it either. Weird marketing no? Its for the pangueros, yet they don't know the details of it and the extranjeros are getting posters delivered to their door. sorry but this is strange and irritating to me.

Don Alley - 5-12-2007 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

How come I didn't get one delivered to my house, my husband is a panguero and we've done a lot to promote tourism in Loreto. Never got one at my store, the cooperative didn't know any details of this event thats to take place in a week as of this morning, I'm located in a hotel in the center of town and nobody here knows about it either. Weird marketing no? Its for the pangueros, yet they don't know the details of it and the extranjeros are getting posters delivered to their door. sorry but this is strange and irritating to me.

I didn't get one delivered to my door, I said my neighbor did. He's a local, and a poster also went up at the marina. If his uncle or someone else we know is available we'll go out and play, otherwise he will fish the "open" category from shore at PE for pargo or cabrilla. He has no boat, can't afford to charter one on his own. And neither of us believe it is only for captains.

Disorganized? Well, lots of things are disorganized here, aren't they?

Bob and Susan - 5-12-2007 at 02:51 PM

pompano did you here anyhing about a guy ...
lets say "marty" ...
catching two dorado yesterday 23 miles out?

C&R - Tailing fish

Skipjack Joe - 5-12-2007 at 05:26 PM

... apparently causes damage to the fish you're releasing. At least with salmon. Here is the quote from a study:

"Note that pulling a fish by the tail stretches the backbone, breaking blood vessels along the spine. Blood seeps into the surrounding tissue and forms a bruise that cannot be seen until the salmon is filleted or split."

Here's the full read:

http://alaskaseafood.org/fishingprocessing/salmqual.htm

Don Alley - 5-13-2007 at 08:06 AM

Barbless: Good for lures, but with live bait? I've been using some Gamahuchamucha brand hooks with very small barbs, really good circle hooks, but I've lost a few more baits than usual. Tough when you have a poor bait day, you're down to one or two mackeral and the one you just pinned on comes off.

Beer: Anyone tried pouring beer down a dorado's throat? Some captains in Zihua did that, for fish that we killed. Settled them right down, well, except for one bull that then jumped the gaff and caused all kinds of excitement in the boat. I wonder if it does any harm to the gills, or is just temporary.

Tailing: The source for that was for treatment of kept and killed fish. So maybe that's not even a good method for bleeding a fish destined for the filet table?

Cypress - 5-13-2007 at 08:19 AM

The canvas slings/stretchers work.;) About that beer?:o

Don Alley - 5-13-2007 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano[/

Beer, Don? BEER!? ...utter nonsense, you leave that beer with me...and use Cola-Cola like everyone else.

Isn't giving a Coke to a dorado is like giving sugar to a hyperactive 8 year old? Besides, the Cokes are for me.

:lol::lol:

tripledigitken - 5-13-2007 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Quote:

++Ken++

Ken,

We will be going to San Fransisquito this October for a few days. Are the Jurels there that late?

Ken

BajaBruno - 5-13-2007 at 11:07 AM

I know people who swear by pouring a shot glass of vodka on the gills of a hot fish to calm it down. I've never tried it, but I always assumed that the alcohol just intoxicated the fish--since those gills are designed to absorb oxygen from water, I suppose they would readily uptake alcohol, and I doubt a dorado has much tolerance for even beer.

Now the question is, would a drunk dorado revive to chase another lure?

Pompano, how many people does it take to operate that sling? Sounds like a great idea if one has the room and the crew.

Entonces, no bueno

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2007 at 11:15 AM

As I was taking this picture my buddy said he felt the sound of bones in the tail. It had been gaffed and may have already been dead but it started me out on this whole tailing thing. I think it may have to do with the weight of the fish and the width of that tail. There's a lot of weight in that body up front and when that fish starts thrashing around as you're holding it it must put a lot of stress on that tail. That's probably when the damage occurs. These creatures aren't meant to be out of the water. They're not built to handle that weight without the support of water.

pff21.jpg - 46kB

Cypress - 5-14-2007 at 11:47 AM

Used the slings/stretchers for sturgeon, had to handle 'em very carefully due to the fact that they were listed as an endangered species on that particular river. :D 200 lbs was about as much as two people could lift by hand in a stretcher.:D Hard on the back.:yes:Caught some that were way to big for two people to lift over the side of a boat in a sling, 11 feet long or so.:D The stretcher method of landing fish is fish friendly.:bounce:

flyfishinPam - 5-14-2007 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't get one delivered to my door, I said my neighbor did. He's a local, and a poster also went up at the marina. If his uncle or someone else we know is available we'll go out and play, otherwise he will fish the "open" category from shore at PE for pargo or cabrilla. He has no boat, can't afford to charter one on his own. And neither of us believe it is only for captains.

Disorganized? Well, lots of things are disorganized here, aren't they?

My bad on assuming your neighbor is a non-Mexican Don. OK fair is fair. Since there are no known rules except that the species are dorado, yellowtail, wahoo and tuna, and that there is a shoreline and high seas category as well as juvenile and adults categories, do what you wish.

I am just being the messenger at this point. The local newspapers have been saying that this event is being put on "in appreciation of the efforts towards tourism that the fishermen and their families have put fourth over the years". (Does that describe any of the extraneros that plan to participate?)

According to El Sudcaliforniano, and the Loreto News (in English and Spanish), the governor's cup was supposed to be the duty of the president of the municipio to promote. Maybe he's been busy so this hasn't been done very well.

I believe that it would be wonderful if this gift to the captains and their families was indeed only open to them. My consessus at the marina this morning was that several want to join but have no money for fuel or no boat. Don, lots of people don't read the newspapers here for various reasons that I won't get into. I do read it online and this event has been mentioned for months and the wording is that it is supposed to be for the captains. So back to the guys at the marina who want to join but don't have the money. Do you think they're enthused about this tournament? They get to compete against boats that are more powerful and funded by persons who can afford as much fuel as they want. Its likely a that foreigner will win. Then what? Will they pay taxes on the winnings? Are they now permitted to make financial gain for their days out on the water as per their immigration document? Its not that easy. For Tournaments which have foreign participants, the winnings and prizes are supposed to be taken out of the country immediately after the eventtakes place. I know this because this is a facet of my business and I have run a tournament before.

So OK there are vague rules and they will allow a foreigner to participate because ?? they want to be polite? they want to have lots of participants ?? or they don't understand the rules themselves?? or ?? If you didn't understand the gift that is being given by a very generous person in appreciation to those who work in the industry and benefit others that's fine because maybe you don't read Spanish but now I am letting the message out and its your decision.

So that you don't think I'm just a party pooper lets instead of competing against the local guys, lets BACK THEM FINANCIALLY. Lets pick out a favoirte captain and fuel their boat for them so they can participate. There hasn't been much working in May for these guys so chances are great that they just don't have the scratch to participate (or the enthusiasm because of who their competitors may be). Another requirement is that all have valid fishing licenses. So now we're looking at at least $50dlls in fuel each day for a four stroke driven panga and another $30-50dlls for a fishing permit... Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could do that instead, then cheer them on?

This is a motivational event among the captains who work hard and who help allow tourism to thrive here. Tourism is Loreto's only industry and this generous man from Los Cabos (whose name appears in the links I posted previously) who has organized the series of events understands that.

hats off to that dude! :dudette: