Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Isn't anybody fishing?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:49 AM
Isn't anybody fishing?

Dragging my boat to La Paz next weekend for the summer but not seeing any fish reports here. What gives? Hopefully everyone is too busy catching to take time to report. Oh well, at least I still have mexfish.com.

Hope to see you on the water soon. I can't wait. I really need a SOC fix.:lol:
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:46 AM

For some reason, the La Paz fisherpeople don't report much, from what I have seen. I'd like to hear more from them, as I'm sure you would, also.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:04 PM

Pompano, thanks for the info....as for preserving the resource,

I've been a catch and release fisherguy since my early days fly-fishing trout in the Sierras. I rarely kill a fish and I usually try to release even dorado. Problem is, the panga guides I have used, even with outfits that supposedly stress conservation, simply refuse to release fish.

I can't tell you how many people I know who have gone billfish fishing and told the captains, "release any fish I catch," and have been told in return, "Oh, this fish is going to die, so we will keep it." Somehow, EVERY fish is going to die; or releasing it is going to send the other fish to some other state; or the implied, "If you start releasing, I'm going to stop putting you on fish."

I know they aren't all that way, but every one I've every fished with was, and I know a lot of other guys who have had the same experience. I rarely ever use a guide anymore, just for that reason.

Anyway, I am running off on my pet peeve and getting off topic.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Dragging my boat to La Paz next weekend for the summer but not seeing any fish reports here. What gives? Hopefully everyone is too busy catching to take time to report. Oh well, at least I still have mexfish.com.

Hope to see you on the water soon. I can't wait. I really need a SOC fix.:lol:

I don't think there's much to know. Go to Punta Arena and fish between the point and the island.
If the wind is bad then stay in close. Works every time I've fished there. Dorado,Tuna or Snappers. Maybe Billfish or Wahoo.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:26 PM

Alan check U2U

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Yellowtail are good, but slowing as the action moves north to BOLA.

Hey Pompano, when would you say the peak Bola yellowtail run is?
I want to try and get to San Fransquito this year. I've heard it's possible to catch firecrackers right of the beach.
Anybody know if that is true?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:41 PM

I know about mexfish and identified it in the original post. I also follow Tailhunter Intl, bloodydecks, Fisherman's Fleet and all of the others. I just found it strange that with water temps on the increase and moving into prime season it seemed strange not to many are posting. Of course Pompano's reports are there to keep me jonesing. What I was most interested in was a shot at wahoo. Still need to cross that off my list.

I fully support CPR and is another reason for taking my own boat but the main reason is hunting the fish and finding them is almost as satisfying as catching. I try to limit people to just enough for dinner. I am not a fan of fish that has been frozen, Wahoo in a foodsaver bag is an exception of course!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:41 PM
Why they're reluctant to release

It's a pet peeve of mine also BajaBruno.

The reasons to kill fish are endless. I think many of them are augmenting their income by selling your fish. Perhaps a better tip would help but you should be able determine the fate of your fish without appeasing anyone.

Another reason seldom given is that gaffing a fish is much safer and easier on the hands than releasing the animal. My guides were using a cloth to tail a dorado (they're slippery devils) in order to protect their hands from the spines on their fins. Releasing fish is a pain in the burro. They come home with cuts and if you are a guide those things don't heal fast. Having salt in those cuts for days is a drag.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:15 PM

Yellowtail start boiling on the surface around the end of May in BoLA then go wide open stupid about mid-June.
OLDFEZZYWIG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:23 PM

Has anyone been fishing on the East Cape lately ? If so how is it this year ?
I have four more weeks and I will be down there it's just an added bonus if the fishing is good . Counting the minutes !!!!!!

Regards

Wig
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 03:46 PM

East Cape: I was there a couple of weeks ago, fair for marlin and a few dorado. A few tuna have showed. I may be going out for a day Tuesday.

Yellowtail Around Loreto, excellent fishing in March and the first few days of April, then not so good, even poor. It doesn't seem to hold up as long and as well as the reports from the Santa Rosalia area, and when it's good we often go a long way.

Releasing fish I've had captains that had fits over releasing fish. I've had captains that support releasing fish, say it's great, but almost every fish has to be killed for one reason or another.

Offhand, I cannot recall a skipper that likes circle hooks, which will be required for all US Atlantic billfish fishing next year.

When I was a kid, billfish were released by cutting the leader close to the fish. Fast, easy, little immediate trauma to the fish. They said the hook will fall out, work its way out, rust out, whatever. Can't say I know. Today, the method is to remove the hook, and pull the fish aboard for a photo. We did that a week or so ago, but I really don't need any more captive billfish photos.

I saw browsing on Charkbait that they sell "release sticks." Maybe these things help. Short of just cutting the line, releasing a nice bull dorado may be like jumping in a sack of cats.

As I mentioned, circle hooks are being required in some places, and that after some research. Using circle hooks, release mortality numbers for billfish have been very good. I really liked them for dorado last year; with a two fish limit one can be done quickly if you keep gut-hooked fish. With the circles you can virtually eliminate that, and chose which fish, if any, to take home.

Barbless hooks are another area to explore...

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 04:05 PM

Don, the captains don't like what they don't understand. After years of educating them on the design and purpose of circle hooks or any other foreign equipment or technique they warm up to it, just like they've warmed up to releasing fish, guiding fly fishing clients or having a woman for a boss :lol:

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:37 PM

Alan....... It is kind of an in between time for fishing in Loreto. Yellowtail action is winding down and dorado are here, but they are still mostly pretty small. There are also marlin and sailfish in the area but they have not been very hungry. I went south to Catalana today and had two marlin runouts, but neither stuck. I also caught 8 or 9 dorado, the largest around 20 lbs. Last week I took a 3 day trip down to El Bajo about 35 miles north of La Paz. Two of the three days were a little choppy, but it was a good trip. I found marlin around Las Animas, about 70 NM from Loreto, a sailfish off Santa Cruz and little else. The best fishing news for you, however, is that the wahoo are biting on the East Cape. That includes the south end of Cerralvo which will be within your reach when you are in La Paz. Actually, the south end of Cerralvo is only about 40 further south than El Bajo. I am tempted to run down on the water and give it a try myself.
If you are coming down next weekend you should time your trip to be in Loreto on Friday and Saturday. There is going to be a Governor's Cup fishing tournament. Registration is Friday and fishing is one day only on Saturday. The present plan is to give prizes for the largest dorado, wahoo, tuna or yellowtail in the open class. Registration is free and first prize is 25,000 pesos. You should think about it.

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by bill erhardt]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:51 PM

If fishing the south end of Cerallvo its better to launch at Muertos(La Serena) only 12 miles b y water and when the wind picks up from the north you are going with the swell coming back and Wahoo fishing is best the earliest you can get out.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
I want to try and get to San Fransquito this year. I've heard it's possible to catch firecrackers right of the beach.

Definitely true. I've seen yellowtail caught from the beach at San Francisquito many times. Not always just firecrackers either. Used to happen pretty regularly in the late summer.

++Ken++
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:

Definitely true. I've seen yellowtail caught from the beach at San Francisquito many times. Not always just firecrackers either. Used to happen pretty regularly in the late summer.

++Ken++

Ya, that's what I'm talking about. Anyone want to go!

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Calling all fishermen.....It's 4:45 a.m. Saturday, just heading out the door for the ramp. Come on, time to fish! :D

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by Pompano]

Soon, very soon.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 07:06 AM
Governer's Cup Tournament

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Alan....... It is kind of an in between time for fishing in Loreto. Yellowtail action is winding down and dorado are here, but they are still mostly pretty small. There are also marlin and sailfish in the area but they have not been very hungry. I went south to Catalana today and had two marlin runouts, but neither stuck. I also caught 8 or 9 dorado, the largest around 20 lbs. Last week I took a 3 day trip down to El Bajo about 35 miles north of La Paz. Two of the three days were a little choppy, but it was a good trip. I found marlin around Las Animas, about 70 NM from Loreto, a sailfish off Santa Cruz and little else. The best fishing news for you, however, is that the wahoo are biting on the East Cape. That includes the south end of Cerralvo which will be within your reach when you are in La Paz. Actually, the south end of Cerralvo is only about 40 further south than El Bajo. I am tempted to run down on the water and give it a try myself.
If you are coming down next weekend you should time your trip to be in Loreto on Friday and Saturday. There is going to be a Governor's Cup fishing tournament. Registration is Friday and fishing is one day only on Saturday. The present plan is to give prizes for the largest dorado, wahoo, tuna or yellowtail in the open class. Registration is free and first prize is 25,000 pesos. You should think about it.

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by bill erhardt]

I am miffed as to why the governor's cup tournament that is supposed to celebrate the fishing families of Loreto and the other towns and cities throughout Baja Sur, allows foreigners to participate. The news says that the tournament is for the benefit and enjoyment for the fishermen and their families in these pueblos and the prizes are substantial for one who may win them. There is very little information on how to sign up, nobody knows how to join this event, the coopperativa, Arturos, myself the tourism office... the newspapers say that it is for the fishing families who work in the industry. Then why are foreigners allowed to participate and win this? I understand Bill won this tournament last fall off Lopez Mateos for lack of very many participants? sorry for my opinion but the prizes are meant for those who this event is being presented for and any of the pangueros who win $25,000 or a boat and motor will be very deserving of it. I'd sure hate to see a wealthy gringo win it over a deserving panguero. For the record my husband and I will not be participating, as I would rather see someone win who really needs the prize.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 07:22 AM

Link to the El sudcaliforniano "Governor's Cup" coverage:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n261479.htm

from the article: "El empresario cabano que el proposito de este torneo de pesca, Copa Gobernador que se organiza en todo el estado, es rendir un homenaje a los pescadores sudcalifornianos, quienes con su esfuerzo y trabajo logran que turistas que acuden a pescar, regresen ano con ano dejen ganancias a todos los que dependen directa o indirecdtamente del sector turistico"

in a nutshell the tourney organizers proposed this event in appreciation of the hard work the captains do in the fishing industry to promote continued tourism and that everyone in the state benefits from their hard work...

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
I am miffed as to why the governor's cup tournament that is supposed to celebrate the fishing families of Loreto and the other towns and cities throughout Baja Sur, allows foreigners to participate. The news says that the tournament is for the benefit and enjoyment for the fishermen and their families in these pueblos and the prizes are substantial for one who may win them. There is very little information on how to sign up, nobody knows how to join this event, the coopperativa, Arturos, myself the tourism office... the newspapers say that it is for the fishing families who work in the industry. Then why are foreigners allowed to participate and win this? I understand Bill won this tournament last fall off Lopez Mateos for lack of very many participants? sorry for my opinion but the prizes are meant for those who this event is being presented for and any of the pangueros who win $25,000 or a boat and motor will be very deserving of it. I'd sure hate to see a wealthy gringo win it over a deserving panguero. For the record my husband and I will not be participating, as I would rather see someone win who really needs the prize.

Sorry Pam but on this one I have to disagree with you. I doubt seriously if Mr. Erhardt's win was the result of a lack of participants. I have follwed his postings on several boards for quite some time and I think he is a very accomplished and responsible angler. Please don't lessen his win. It is not him those type of comments reflect poorly of.

As far as the Governor's Cup I can understand your point if that is the way they are "marketing" it but the bottomline is, it is their tournament and therefore, their rules. Foreign entries are probably necessary to generate the prizes being offered. Tournaments often designate a percentage of the revenue for contribution to a cause. Perhaps that is how they plan to assist the local pangueros? Having fished with many pangueros for many years I can only say that any foreigner that hopes to outfish a local who knows the waters as well as their own backyards, more power to them. I would have to say they have a very poor chance for success but hooray for them for making their donation to the cause.

I am sorry if you don't like the way they are marketing this tournament but nothing is stopping you from hosting your own tournament solely for and with the pangueros of Baja. Perhaps a percentage could be donated towards repair and improving of the town ramp so all the local pangueros will benefit and someone would have great bragging rights as the "Best Panguero in Baja"... at least until next year.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.