BajaNomad

Reels and more Reels ??

Diver - 5-15-2007 at 09:52 AM

Last season I bought a Shimano TLD Star that was advertised to be a great casting reel for a conventiional.
When I tried, I found that it still has a drag clicker, so even though there is no level-wind gear, it still has too much inherent drag to cast anything less than a truck.
The sellers have agreed to take it back and I need a new reel to fit the bill. Something mid-priced in the 40 pound range.

I also need a larger conventional for occassional use, maybe a Senator 6.0 since I won't use it that much ?

And I need a mid-priced spinning reel, maybe 30lb to replace my old Shakespear that self destructed this winter.

Any suggestions from the learned would be appreciated.

backninedan - 5-15-2007 at 10:20 AM

You may want to try the shimano 6500b baitrunner for your spinning needs. I have used mine on hundreds of dorado, yellowtail and even the occasional sail. It has yet to give me any problems and the closed bail trolling feature is nothing short of amazing.

Russ - 5-15-2007 at 10:32 AM

The Quantum Cabo PT has worked well for me and is in your price range. Not sure if it has the features you want but it is a solid reel for the price. I opted for the level wind and have #30, #20 and #15 pound spools. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantcabopttroll.html

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Russ]

Hook - 5-15-2007 at 10:34 AM

How much weight are you wanting to cast? A dine, a chovy, ight iron?

I really like the Saltist series from Daiwa. They cast like a dream right out of the box and are very reasonably priced. They have high speed versions and the original 4.9:1 versions, as well as wide and narrow spools. For baitfishing, I'd go with the lower speed. I also like the narrower spools for a little more leverage on YT or tuna. Seem to backlash less, too, when really tossing an iron. For iron, definitely high speed.

Of course, baitfishing from a boat rarely requires an unbelieveable casting range. Usually, the fish will come to you or the bait will go to the fish.

I own a Baitrunner 6500, too, but only use it for shorecasting for jacks.

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Hook]

Diver - 5-15-2007 at 10:57 AM

I would like to cast 7"- 1 oz lures and larger with this rig as well as live baits and irons. I would likely also use this rig for jigging.

Will I be able to cast the 1 oz and larger lures over 100 feet with the Saltist ?
Or is that asking too much ?
Thanks.

Hook - 5-15-2007 at 11:15 AM

1 oz? That's like less that a medium sized sardine, i would imagine. That's like a pretty small Kroc or Kastmaster.

The 30T might do that but probably not the 40 or 50. Even the 30T, I would say it would require at least 2 oz to cast it 100 feet. I mean, thats a third of a football field.

All I know is it outcasts most everything else in it's class. I love my 30T. You wont be disappointed with it's casting ability and the drags are pretty good right out of the box. Believe I read on allcoastsportfishing.com tackle board that some guys were also changing out a bushing for a bearing and were increasing it's castability even more. Allcoast has a tremendous tackle forum.

Maybe get a 30T, wide, high speed and put some spectra on it and a 40# topshot. Protection against getting rocked, too.

baitcast - 5-15-2007 at 02:32 PM

This guy could tell a fish story as it should be told,I ran into his writings of fishing the seven seas when I was a kid in high school,I had not even seen the ocean but he fired me up so that I rushed out and joined the navy,just to see what it was all about:lol:..along time ago.
BAITCAST

baitcast

Skipjack Joe - 5-15-2007 at 03:07 PM

I was in the ninth grade when I checked out Zane Grey's "Tales of Fishes". I used to ride the bus to school in those days. I was so into the book that I missed three buses one morning waiting for the bus to pick me up. By the time I was aware that it was there it was already pulling away from the curb.

The man knew how to convey the excitement of the sport like nobody else. I've seen a lot of movies about fishing but the emotion never comes through as it really is. There's a woman now on ESPN outdoors that just screams for the entire show. What a boob.

BTW if you ever have a chance read Thomas McGuane's "An Outside Chance". He's real good. His story "The Longest Silence' on permit fishing is a classic.

P.S. Isn't that the Ocean-B reel he helped design?

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

Hook - 5-15-2007 at 04:26 PM

I am rather ashamed to admit I have never read anything of his, though I know his legacy. Is he a good writer or is the subject matter the attraction or both?

Reading "Undaunted Courage" right now (yeah, I'm a little late) but am always looking for the next book.

baitcast - 5-15-2007 at 05:02 PM

I,ve read 4 of those 9 all saltwater,one that has always stuck with me was a hook up with a broadbill off Catalina with his brother,he hooked around 3pm,night falls,now its 8 hrs later they are following the fish with lights and the thing after all this time starts chasing flying fish,it starts feeding after all this time:lol: His storys fishing BFT with single action reels and thumb-stalls,that must have hurt!,,,,,,,Great stuff
BAITCAST

Skipjack Joe - 5-15-2007 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I just last year took the river trip to his cabin in Oregon and have been to the site of his old hunting lodge in Arizona.

I wonder if that's the one I saw about 20 years ago. It was on the Rogue River. There's a trail along the Wild and Scenic section of the river that's about 50 miles long. About halfway downstream from the trailhead we came upon his cabin and there were signs pointing to the pools he favored when the steelhead were running. A great hike. We saw black bears swimming across the Rogue. Even saw a pileated woodpecker.

I don't think he was a really great writer. But he certainly could write about fishing. I also wonder about a man who devotes his entire life to pursuing the biggest fish on the planet. Maybe it's envy.

Skipjack Joe - 5-15-2007 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
He became very rich from all this, but also gave most away to charities for the poor.

Didn't know that.

You probably know this Pompano, but I was always impressed also by how far he was ahead of his time in the sport. I don't believe bonefish were considered a sportfish until he started doing it. His writings sure put bonefishing on the map. He was also an advocate of fishing with light tackle. People fished with very heavy gear prior to his period and fish were basically 'horsed' in, just wenched in with heavy line that withstood all of the power of a fish.

You guys talk about the marathon epic he had with broadbill as being a favorite. I liked the stories dealing with bonefish. The whole process of learning a new sportfish with all of it's discoveries. The hard earned knowledge of "the gray ghost" as he called them. They fished the flats out of a canoe in those days. Imagine that.

BajaBruno - 5-16-2007 at 04:00 AM

Back to rods and reels . . .

I don't know how relevant my observations are, but I've found that the difference between a $50 saltwater rod and a $350 rod is negligible, unless one is targeting 1,000# marlin. Certainly the more expensive rod has better guides and a prettier finish, but these aren’t fly rods. I’m sure I will get an argument, but to me, trolling rods are little more than broomsticks with a reel seat, and the more limber casting rods are still so stiff that the differences between the best cheap rods and the routine expensive ones are largely cosmetic. I carry lots of rods on most trips, none of which cost more than $100, and I rarely have a problem with them unless I abuse them. I have had to replace some guides, which is not a huge problem for me.

More important to me, as others have pointed out, is matching the right reel for your fishing to the right rod. Reels are important in saltwater mainly for the line capacity, drag quality, and retrieve rate, and little else matters to me. I have all the different types and none cost more than $150 (mostly much less), although they aren’t plated in gold, either.

I think the best lesson I learned from many years fly fishing the West is that you’ll catch more fish with technique (not skating your fly) and knowing where to fish than you will by having the trendiest gold-plated gear. And wearing that Orvis vest may make you feel good, but the fish don’t bite vests. Lefty Kreh could put a dry fly in a teacup at 30 feet with any rod you handed him because he practiced religiously and didn’t care about fashion. He used to advocate Pflueger Medalist reels, with their notoriously bad drag system, because they were cheap and you could cut an opening in the side plate to use your finger on the spool to slow a hot fish. I did it and caught lots of nice salmon with those reels.

I know I have devolved to preaching here and I apologize, but I think we get way too carried away with having the right gear and spend precious little time learning to use it. The guys of this board are a wonderful resource and I have picked their brains a number of times—I am certainly not the expert on any of these topics, and this is not meant to discourage perfectly valid questions such as Diver’s, but I would like to see some of our very experienced Baja fisherpeople spend some time on tactics and techniques, right down to leader construction (which was my last U2U to Bill Erhardt), because there is very little information to be had on those subjects as they pertain specifically to Baja.

Pompano has been particularly generous with information of locations, and Skeet followed his lead, but you other guys could be writing some primers, too! I’ll be happy to write the questions of the week if the group would like to start writing answers. In every productive water in the world, fishing guides are giving up their secrets to their clients every day—why should the Nomads be less than that?

Ok, I’ll shut up now before I REALLY lose track of my soliloquy! :O Ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line . . .

That's what I'm talking about

capitolkat - 5-16-2007 at 06:01 AM

I 'm about 17 months away from putting some real time on the water as opposed to the day or two every 6 months when I visit. so I 'm also looking for what to buy for my days on the water. I've got the basic rods and reels and usually bring a surf outfit with me for morning and afternoon fun, but haven't bought anything exotic in years as I , like Bruno, don't think price dictates quality or usablility. I go on to Charkbait regularly and read about what they think is the rod , reel or lure of the week and wonder-- is this the next one I need.

so to summarize-- I would love to hear what people use, how they use it and any secrets of the trade that you are willing to share. so go ahead ask and answer and I'll take notes.

Thanks-- Norm

Cypress - 5-16-2007 at 02:25 PM

Penn 4/0's are good for most eating fish.:yes:

Offroad - 5-16-2007 at 02:35 PM

Diver,
My favorite does not match your request, but it is so much fun. Penn 955 level wind with 15-20 lb test. Can be backed with Spectra as it is easy to get spooled. Casts like a dream, and my biggest fish was a 33 lb Yellowfin, and it required careful use of drag and I was fishing straight mono and I was fortunate to not get spooled.
I fish many other reels, but this brings the biggest smile. If fishing smaller Tuna, try 12 lb if they are line shy and get bit when others are not.
Great fishing reports by so many Nomads, thanks everyone!

Don Alley - 5-16-2007 at 03:23 PM

Reels: I have a Saltist, Hook gives good advice. And if you want to shave a few bucks off the price, the Diawa Sealine reels are pretty good too. They are great casters. The drags on my Sealine are Coronados Islands seal tested.

Zane Grey on the Rogue River:

My dad had a good friend, deceased for many years now, named Hank Pringle. Hank lived on the Rougue, up past Shady Cove, and in the 1970s many considered him one of the top old-time Rogue River fishermen. We talked about Zane Grey once. Grey came and fished one of Pringle's favorite steelhead holes one day, in front of where Pringle would eventually live. Pringle got there first, early in the morning. Second came too tough hired hands, "thugs" in Pringle's description, who informed Pringle that Mr. Grey was on his way and could he please stop disturbing Mr. Grey's water? :lol:

I wasn't there, I didn't see it, just a story I heard years ago from an old timer.

A footnote: Pringle last lived in one of two cabins on the river owned by my father. Back then, I believe in the mid to late 70s, I was in Oregon and an old family friend, visiting from Los Angeles, invited me along on a guided float trip down the river.

So we're floating down the river, and the guide says we are approaching a good piece of water called "The Siren Hole." I asked about the name, and he says, pointing to a nearby cabin "just the slightest noise sets off a siren burglar alarm on the roof of that stupid @#*&$@#@'s cabin."

When we got home, I told Dad he'd better fix his burglar alarm.

And maybe put up a plaque, "Zane Grey fished here."

Skipjack Joe - 5-16-2007 at 04:08 PM

I had heard something similar when I was up there but didn't bring it up on this thread.

I was told that Z.G. would hire people to "reserve" his favorite holes until he showed up. Basically if you approached one of these holes you were told to move on because they were taken.

There are other unflattering rumors about the man from folks at Avalon, but why dwell upon them. He's still a wonderful writer and all of the above mentioned virtues will never be taken away from the man.

Skipjack Joe - 5-16-2007 at 05:18 PM

Perhaps my most treasured book from boyhood.

It's the 1919 edition. I don't know what it's worth. The images of the great barracuda on the jacket appear to be actual photographs that were glued to the cover. Imagine the time it took to pulish books like that.

tales_of_fishes.jpg - 49kB

Cypress - 5-16-2007 at 05:27 PM

Skipjack! That's a treasure!:O:O

Skipjack Joe - 5-16-2007 at 05:27 PM

Zane Grey with Captain Dan at Avalon with the 150 pounder he caught on that day when everything went wrong. Remember how the captain swore when there wasn't enough wind for those kites they used and tuna boiling all around?

ZG_tuna.jpg - 50kB

Hook - 5-16-2007 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
..using a Thompson .45 submachine gun to 'fish' in Cuba. Probably best to have avoided his fishing holes, too!

Hmmm..........mebbe a fish got away the day he died and there was a shotgun nearby.

Skipjack Joe - 5-16-2007 at 05:34 PM

Remember RC? It took me a while to figure out he was Zane's brother. Here he is working a marlin off San Clemente island.

RC_on_the_job.jpg - 47kB

Cypress - 5-16-2007 at 05:43 PM

Those big Hammerheads are fast and deadly. :) Look kinda like a bomb going off when they explode in a school of mullet.:)

BajaBruno - 5-16-2007 at 11:11 PM

That marlin may have been the inspiration for Old Man & the Sea . Hemingway and Pilar were quite a combo. I saw a sistership in Florida several years ago. I'd love to have one, though wood boats need to be marrried, not just loved.

[Edited on 5-17-2007 by BajaBruno]

baitcast - 5-17-2007 at 08:14 AM

U.S.S Mary ann........30' Egg Harbor1968,twin flat head sixes!
After I bought this I had no time nor money for anything else:lol:............But I did love that boat!

baitcast - 5-17-2007 at 08:38 AM

Pomp when I bought the boat gas was 65 cents,slip fee,s 1.50/ft.........I thought what the hell I can handle that,2 years later gas 1.30$,slip fee,s 3.25$........That ended that,went back to cartopping Baja:lol:

Just shot up !!

baitcast - 5-17-2007 at 09:34 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Pomp you just sometimes kill me:lol::lol:

Cypress - 5-17-2007 at 11:47 AM

Jeez!! That reel looks a lot like a high-tech come-a-long.:)Could use it to snake out logs.:)

Pescador - 5-17-2007 at 07:41 PM

The main problem is deciding what you want a reel, or a rod for that matter, to do. Since I started building custom rods, I am totally amazed at how much a custom built rod will add to the function and purpose. So look at the manufacturers reccomendations as to line class and lure weight. Do not try to throw a 1 oz. weight with a yo-yo jigging rod that was designed for 40-50 lb line and a rod that is set up for 5-8 oz. Do I hear "professional overspin"? I think the penn senators like 3/0, 4/0, and 6/0 are like the Everready battery. They just keep on going even though there are more specialized tools available. They are a little slow on retreive but trustworthy. Shimano's like the TLD, Tekota, Trinidad, and Torium are nice reels for special uses but they take a lot more maintence and care. Diawa makes some nice stuff and I really put a Saltist to the test this last winter and found that it really handles the abuse. Same thing with Tiagra and Saltiga. I have a bad taste for anything that Okuma makes and get tired of their slick advertising and have had these things break down in the middle of a nice fish, so I avoid them. This year I started using Tica reels and think that they represent one of the best buys in the market and they really held up to the torture I dish out over a 6 or 7 month period in Baja. Watch my reports on Mexfish for some more information about these reels.
Talk to everyone who will give you the story and look at what the successful fishermen use. San Marcos Mike from San Marcos Island has gone almost exclusively to Pro Gear reels (of course they support him with equipment), but if it didn't hold up he would have stopped using it a long time ago. Since he is on the water 300 or so days a year, I tend to listen to people like him.
Avet reels are coming on strong and get great reviews but I have not personally used one so cannot comment except for secondhanded.
Finally, match the gear with the fish and you will increase your enjoyment as well as the fishes.:rolleyes:

Alan - 5-18-2007 at 06:02 AM

Well now that your question has finally gone full circle it might be time to at least offer some suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Last season I bought a Shimano TLD Star that was advertised to be a great casting reel for a conventiional.
When I tried, I found that it still has a drag clicker, so even though there is no level-wind gear, it still has too much inherent drag to cast anything less than a truck.
The sellers have agreed to take it back and I need a new reel to fit the bill. Something mid-priced in the 40 pound range.
There are several good mid-priced reels that cast well. The Newell 500 series comes to mind but Daiwa Sealines will do just as well.
For birthdays and Xmas my wife has slowly outfitted me with Trinidads and I am hooked so for a mid-priced reel I would have to suggest the Shimano Tourium.

I also need a larger conventional for occassional use, maybe a Senator 6.0 since I won't use it that much ?
For trolling and occassional use you can't go wrong with the 6/0. They're nearly bullet-proof and readily available. They can be improved with a Tiburon or Accurate frame and reel handle.
I don't have personal experience but I have heard some good things about Avet's in that class and with the chance to get into 2-speeds at a reasonable price I would say it is a better option.

And I need a mid-priced spinning reel, maybe 30lb to replace my old Shakespear that self destructed this winter.
Can't help here. I quit using coffee grinders years ago. To have more line capacity and better drags was enough to convince me it was better to educate my thumb.

Any suggestions from the learned would be appreciated.

Diver - 5-18-2007 at 07:46 AM

I'm looking at Saltists or Sealines for 30# and 40$ set-ups.
Do you think the anti-reverse in the Saltist is worth the difference ?
They say they'll both cast as far/easy but that the Saltist will have better backlash control for the less experienced caster.
Any thoughts ?
And which Sealines do you use ? They have so many.
Any thoughts on the new Grandwave Z ??

Thanks again for all your wonderful posts, information and photos !!
Man, I wish I could join you guys for some fishing this month !

Minnow - 5-18-2007 at 07:54 AM

I have a Grandwave Z. Love it, but it is not as durable, some molded plastic parts, as many described here. For casting though it cannot be beat. Drag is acceptable too. Oh, mine is the 40HW

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by Minnow]

Don Alley - 5-18-2007 at 08:19 AM

Maintenence...

That's an important factor in choosing a reel. Can you take your reels in to a shop once a year to have maintenence done? Or, better yet if you are in Mexico for an extended time, can you get service there, or can you service the reels yourself?

One of the advantages of the older Penns (Senators, Jigmasters, Squidders) is that they are relatively easy to service, with the possible exception of flying dog springs. Newells and older Pro Gears are nearly identical.

Some of the Diawas and Shimanos are more complex.

If you don't know about Alan Tani (username alantani) look him up on Bloodydecks, Hulltruth or Senortuna. He posts wonderful illustrated, step-by-step instructions on maintaining reels. Here's an example, on servicing a Penn Jigmaster:

http://www.senortuna.com/main/showthread.php?t=15041

Diver - 5-18-2007 at 09:50 AM

Offroad,

You cast with a levelwind ??
I have two few Penn levelwinds in the 20-25 lb range and neither casts worth a .....
Can anyone else cast these things or is it just me ??

Diver - 5-18-2007 at 10:12 AM

OK, I just got off the phone with a few factory fishing geeks and got the "skinny"

My TLD Star will be replaced with one that has a working "clicker"switch to turn off. I will spool it with 40 lb spectra and a 25 lb mono top shot.
I will buy a new Sealine to rig with 65 lb spectra and a 40 lb top shot with the ability to go heavier if needed. I found that the max drag on the TLD Star is about half of the Sealines.

The anti-reverse gearing is apparently found on most modern reels. A centrifigal brake is included with some casting reels to help stop casting backlash. Read "help stop"; not self cast. I don't thing they are worth the extra $.

I'm still working on my choice for a new spinning reel in the 20-25 lb class.
I am also unsure if I really need a bigger reel. Is it worth it to have a Penn 114/6.0or 115/9.0 in my quiver for the Pacific ?? Or maybe another Sealine rigged heavier ??

Thanks for all the input. Any final words on these two choices ?

Diver - 5-18-2007 at 12:07 PM

I forgot to mention that my quiver will also include a Penn 25 lb levelwind, Penn 15 lb levelwind, 15 and 25 lb spinning rigs. I guess I should get a 6.0 for those occasional big fish chases, for another rig to troll and to make my local fisherman friends happy that I can just haul in the fish.

Now I need to get back on the web to replenish my lure supply !!

Pompano,

Did I hear an invitation to deliver some test gear next month ?? :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by Diver]

Minnow - 5-18-2007 at 12:33 PM

Diver, You cannot cast a level wind reel, other than puny ones. As has been mentioned, "thumbing" the reel is essential to cast any conventional reel. If you can not, or do not know how to do it, you need to practice.

No reel will do it for you.:lol:

Skipjack Joe - 5-18-2007 at 02:01 PM

If you can't afford all of these rod and reel combinations just get these two:

1. baitcasting or spinning reel
2. jigging rod and reel.

There's very little overlap in their usage. The first combo for all shore fishing and inshore fishing. The other for offshore and deep reef yellowtail.

Alan - 5-18-2007 at 04:35 PM

Rule # 1 If you want to learn to cast the first thing you have to do is put those coffee grinders up on a wall somewhere. (Pompano may have some space left if you ask nice)

Rule # 2 Start with a 1 1/2 - 2 oz. weight on 20# test. Start with GENTLE casts. The 100 yd cast will come later. Wet your line then keep your eyes on your bait (weight). Right now don't worry about where your bait is going to land. It is more important to keep your eyes on the weight. It is hard to miss the ocean from a stationary boat. When you release your bait concentrate on lightly controlling the spool while your bait (weight) is flying through the air to ensure your spool isn't spinning faster that your weight is pulling off line. Just as your bait hits the water clamp down just enough with your thumb so stop the spool momentarily, then let your bait swim freely or your weight to drop to desired depth.

Rule #3 Do not proceed further until you have mastered Rule #1

Troule with coffeegrinders

Skipjack Joe - 5-19-2007 at 07:16 AM

Here are some of the issues:

1. They twist your line. The problem comes with their design. As you reel in the line comes straight down the guides and is then twisted on it's side to the reel. After a while you get these massive twists when you have reeled your fish in and give the line some slack. In other situation you will get a small coil on your reel after just completing a cast. As you make the next cast the line going out will trip on the coil and greatly shorten your distance. Once it's coiled you need to remove your lure, run the boat with the line out for awhile allowing it to untwist. You need to get off as much line as possible. After you fix the problem the whole cycle starts over.

2. In many situations the reel limits your fishing abilities because you can't 'feel' the fish on the other end. With a baitcasting reel you can feel you anchovy run and the take of the larger fish by having it in free spool and thumbing it. Then you slam it in gear and strike. With spinning reels you just watch the line and strike when it looks right. You don't feel the force of the gamefish before the strike. For flylining bait it's far inferior to the conventional reels,

3. Your casting distance is sacrificed with the spinning reel as the line comes off in circular coils and bangs against the first guide going out. They diminish the problem by making the first guide larger and farther from the reel seat but it's a problem, especially with thick line.

There are other problems. But there are pros also. I fished alaska the last 2 summers and the overwhelming majority was using spinning reels with ugly sticks for river salmon. The cost had a lot to do with it. A blue collar combo that gets meat on the table.

Pescador - 5-19-2007 at 03:34 PM

Sure you can cast with a level wind. :lol::lol::lol:

professional overspin.jpg - 48kB

Minnow - 5-19-2007 at 06:34 PM

Sure you can cast the smaller level winds/AKA baitcasters. I believe Diver was talking about a 4/0 or 5/0 size. I'll get my Grandwave Z out and any of you guys that can cast a comparable sized reel, line, lure combo, nearly as far, can buy me a beer.:biggrin:

Skipjack, Shimano's baitrunner series of coffeegrinders tried to address some of the points you make.

Diver, have you looked into the baitrunners. I, well my wife, has a 4500b. The best spinner I have tried.

Diver - 5-19-2007 at 06:59 PM

The Daiwa Grandwave Z is $195.
The Daiwa SL-X50HA is $109.
Both have the same 6:1 and other features.
Any idea what makes it worth the difference ? Or not ??

Don Alley - 5-19-2007 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
The Daiwa Grandwave Z is $195.
The Daiwa SL-X50HA is $109.
Both have the same 6:1 and other features.
Any idea what makes it worth the difference ? Or not ??

The grandwave has a tighter anti-reverse. But the SLX is still in production; the Grandwave's have been discontinued in favor of the Saltist. The Saltist has a metal frame, better anti-reverse and is a bit less expensive than the Grandwave (at least at Charkbait).

I also think the Saltist has a bit more cranking power than the SLX. Both are really good reels and great values.

Rhymes with Caddis

Skipjack Joe - 5-20-2007 at 09:20 PM

We've been talking recently about fishermen that have influenced us during our early years in one way or another. Zane Grey was mentioned. Hemingway. And more recently Ray Cannon.

Before ESPN Outdoors. Before Curt Gowdy's American Sportsman. This guy came on in the earky sixties on Saturday's in the afternoon. It was all in black and white and none too sharp. This guy was special. I hurried home from school so as not to miss an episode. Do you know who he is?

[Edited on 5-21-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

bayhorse.jpg - 25kB

Don Alley - 5-20-2007 at 10:08 PM

Gadabout Gaddis, the Flying Fisherman

baitcast - 5-21-2007 at 07:03 AM

The thing I remember about Gadabout most was his almost constant use of a fly-rod and poppers for bass,both large and small:biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 5-21-2007 at 10:01 AM

Oh, you would have liked him Pompano. He was a TV personality with no personality. The way he looks in your picture is the way he always looked. No matter what he was saying he wore the same expression. He was closed mouthed, speaking slowly through clenched teeth. It was a low keyed program with very little talk. Things were understated.

But man oh man, could that guy fish!

You're right baitcast, the episodes with bass were the most impressive. He'd cast his poppers along those lilly pads and these monstrous bass would smash them on the surface. Usually 4-5 pounders but sometimes up to 8 and 9 pounds. He'd hold them up for you to see, mumble something or other, and back they'd go.

An episode that has stayed in my mind over the years is one where caught nothing. He flew into some lakes in Colorado and the whole half hour consisted of him casting around and working the shorline. At the end of the show he told us that he wanted to demonstrate that not all fishing trips are successfull, that a fishing trip like that was quite common. He wanted the audience to understand that it wasn't always one fish after another.

There was nothing quite like him in those days and I would guess he would never survive in the media today. But he made me want to be a flyfisherman. His shows and the writings of Ray Bergman.

[Edited on 5-21-2007 by Skipjack Joe]