BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Reels and more Reels ??
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 09:52 AM
Reels and more Reels ??

Last season I bought a Shimano TLD Star that was advertised to be a great casting reel for a conventiional.
When I tried, I found that it still has a drag clicker, so even though there is no level-wind gear, it still has too much inherent drag to cast anything less than a truck.
The sellers have agreed to take it back and I need a new reel to fit the bill. Something mid-priced in the 40 pound range.

I also need a larger conventional for occassional use, maybe a Senator 6.0 since I won't use it that much ?

And I need a mid-priced spinning reel, maybe 30lb to replace my old Shakespear that self destructed this winter.

Any suggestions from the learned would be appreciated.

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:20 AM

You may want to try the shimano 6500b baitrunner for your spinning needs. I have used mine on hundreds of dorado, yellowtail and even the occasional sail. It has yet to give me any problems and the closed bail trolling feature is nothing short of amazing.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:32 AM

The Quantum Cabo PT has worked well for me and is in your price range. Not sure if it has the features you want but it is a solid reel for the price. I opted for the level wind and have #30, #20 and #15 pound spools. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantcabopttroll.html

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Russ]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:34 AM

How much weight are you wanting to cast? A dine, a chovy, ight iron?

I really like the Saltist series from Daiwa. They cast like a dream right out of the box and are very reasonably priced. They have high speed versions and the original 4.9:1 versions, as well as wide and narrow spools. For baitfishing, I'd go with the lower speed. I also like the narrower spools for a little more leverage on YT or tuna. Seem to backlash less, too, when really tossing an iron. For iron, definitely high speed.

Of course, baitfishing from a boat rarely requires an unbelieveable casting range. Usually, the fish will come to you or the bait will go to the fish.

I own a Baitrunner 6500, too, but only use it for shorecasting for jacks.

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Hook]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:57 AM

I would like to cast 7"- 1 oz lures and larger with this rig as well as live baits and irons. I would likely also use this rig for jigging.

Will I be able to cast the 1 oz and larger lures over 100 feet with the Saltist ?
Or is that asking too much ?
Thanks.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 11:15 AM

1 oz? That's like less that a medium sized sardine, i would imagine. That's like a pretty small Kroc or Kastmaster.

The 30T might do that but probably not the 40 or 50. Even the 30T, I would say it would require at least 2 oz to cast it 100 feet. I mean, thats a third of a football field.

All I know is it outcasts most everything else in it's class. I love my 30T. You wont be disappointed with it's casting ability and the drags are pretty good right out of the box. Believe I read on allcoastsportfishing.com tackle board that some guys were also changing out a bushing for a bearing and were increasing it's castability even more. Allcoast has a tremendous tackle forum.

Maybe get a 30T, wide, high speed and put some spectra on it and a 40# topshot. Protection against getting rocked, too.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 5-15-2007 at 02:32 PM

This guy could tell a fish story as it should be told,I ran into his writings of fishing the seven seas when I was a kid in high school,I had not even seen the ocean but he fired me up so that I rushed out and joined the navy,just to see what it was all about:lol:..along time ago.
BAITCAST
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 03:07 PM
baitcast

I was in the ninth grade when I checked out Zane Grey's "Tales of Fishes". I used to ride the bus to school in those days. I was so into the book that I missed three buses one morning waiting for the bus to pick me up. By the time I was aware that it was there it was already pulling away from the curb.

The man knew how to convey the excitement of the sport like nobody else. I've seen a lot of movies about fishing but the emotion never comes through as it really is. There's a woman now on ESPN outdoors that just screams for the entire show. What a boob.

BTW if you ever have a chance read Thomas McGuane's "An Outside Chance". He's real good. His story "The Longest Silence' on permit fishing is a classic.

P.S. Isn't that the Ocean-B reel he helped design?

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Skipjack Joe]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 04:26 PM

I am rather ashamed to admit I have never read anything of his, though I know his legacy. Is he a good writer or is the subject matter the attraction or both?

Reading "Undaunted Courage" right now (yeah, I'm a little late) but am always looking for the next book.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 5-15-2007 at 05:02 PM

I,ve read 4 of those 9 all saltwater,one that has always stuck with me was a hook up with a broadbill off Catalina with his brother,he hooked around 3pm,night falls,now its 8 hrs later they are following the fish with lights and the thing after all this time starts chasing flying fish,it starts feeding after all this time:lol: His storys fishing BFT with single action reels and thumb-stalls,that must have hurt!,,,,,,,Great stuff
BAITCAST
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I just last year took the river trip to his cabin in Oregon and have been to the site of his old hunting lodge in Arizona.

I wonder if that's the one I saw about 20 years ago. It was on the Rogue River. There's a trail along the Wild and Scenic section of the river that's about 50 miles long. About halfway downstream from the trailhead we came upon his cabin and there were signs pointing to the pools he favored when the steelhead were running. A great hike. We saw black bears swimming across the Rogue. Even saw a pileated woodpecker.

I don't think he was a really great writer. But he certainly could write about fishing. I also wonder about a man who devotes his entire life to pursuing the biggest fish on the planet. Maybe it's envy.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
He became very rich from all this, but also gave most away to charities for the poor.

Didn't know that.

You probably know this Pompano, but I was always impressed also by how far he was ahead of his time in the sport. I don't believe bonefish were considered a sportfish until he started doing it. His writings sure put bonefishing on the map. He was also an advocate of fishing with light tackle. People fished with very heavy gear prior to his period and fish were basically 'horsed' in, just wenched in with heavy line that withstood all of the power of a fish.

You guys talk about the marathon epic he had with broadbill as being a favorite. I liked the stories dealing with bonefish. The whole process of learning a new sportfish with all of it's discoveries. The hard earned knowledge of "the gray ghost" as he called them. They fished the flats out of a canoe in those days. Imagine that.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 04:00 AM

Back to rods and reels . . .

I don't know how relevant my observations are, but I've found that the difference between a $50 saltwater rod and a $350 rod is negligible, unless one is targeting 1,000# marlin. Certainly the more expensive rod has better guides and a prettier finish, but these aren’t fly rods. I’m sure I will get an argument, but to me, trolling rods are little more than broomsticks with a reel seat, and the more limber casting rods are still so stiff that the differences between the best cheap rods and the routine expensive ones are largely cosmetic. I carry lots of rods on most trips, none of which cost more than $100, and I rarely have a problem with them unless I abuse them. I have had to replace some guides, which is not a huge problem for me.

More important to me, as others have pointed out, is matching the right reel for your fishing to the right rod. Reels are important in saltwater mainly for the line capacity, drag quality, and retrieve rate, and little else matters to me. I have all the different types and none cost more than $150 (mostly much less), although they aren’t plated in gold, either.

I think the best lesson I learned from many years fly fishing the West is that you’ll catch more fish with technique (not skating your fly) and knowing where to fish than you will by having the trendiest gold-plated gear. And wearing that Orvis vest may make you feel good, but the fish don’t bite vests. Lefty Kreh could put a dry fly in a teacup at 30 feet with any rod you handed him because he practiced religiously and didn’t care about fashion. He used to advocate Pflueger Medalist reels, with their notoriously bad drag system, because they were cheap and you could cut an opening in the side plate to use your finger on the spool to slow a hot fish. I did it and caught lots of nice salmon with those reels.

I know I have devolved to preaching here and I apologize, but I think we get way too carried away with having the right gear and spend precious little time learning to use it. The guys of this board are a wonderful resource and I have picked their brains a number of times—I am certainly not the expert on any of these topics, and this is not meant to discourage perfectly valid questions such as Diver’s, but I would like to see some of our very experienced Baja fisherpeople spend some time on tactics and techniques, right down to leader construction (which was my last U2U to Bill Erhardt), because there is very little information to be had on those subjects as they pertain specifically to Baja.

Pompano has been particularly generous with information of locations, and Skeet followed his lead, but you other guys could be writing some primers, too! I’ll be happy to write the questions of the week if the group would like to start writing answers. In every productive water in the world, fishing guides are giving up their secrets to their clients every day—why should the Nomads be less than that?

Ok, I’ll shut up now before I REALLY lose track of my soliloquy! :O Ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line . . .

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:01 AM
That's what I'm talking about

I 'm about 17 months away from putting some real time on the water as opposed to the day or two every 6 months when I visit. so I 'm also looking for what to buy for my days on the water. I've got the basic rods and reels and usually bring a surf outfit with me for morning and afternoon fun, but haven't bought anything exotic in years as I , like Bruno, don't think price dictates quality or usablility. I go on to Charkbait regularly and read about what they think is the rod , reel or lure of the week and wonder-- is this the next one I need.

so to summarize-- I would love to hear what people use, how they use it and any secrets of the trade that you are willing to share. so go ahead ask and answer and I'll take notes.

Thanks-- Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:25 PM

Penn 4/0's are good for most eating fish.:yes:
Offroad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:35 PM

Diver,
My favorite does not match your request, but it is so much fun. Penn 955 level wind with 15-20 lb test. Can be backed with Spectra as it is easy to get spooled. Casts like a dream, and my biggest fish was a 33 lb Yellowfin, and it required careful use of drag and I was fishing straight mono and I was fortunate to not get spooled.
I fish many other reels, but this brings the biggest smile. If fishing smaller Tuna, try 12 lb if they are line shy and get bit when others are not.
Great fishing reports by so many Nomads, thanks everyone!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 03:23 PM

Reels: I have a Saltist, Hook gives good advice. And if you want to shave a few bucks off the price, the Diawa Sealine reels are pretty good too. They are great casters. The drags on my Sealine are Coronados Islands seal tested.

Zane Grey on the Rogue River:

My dad had a good friend, deceased for many years now, named Hank Pringle. Hank lived on the Rougue, up past Shady Cove, and in the 1970s many considered him one of the top old-time Rogue River fishermen. We talked about Zane Grey once. Grey came and fished one of Pringle's favorite steelhead holes one day, in front of where Pringle would eventually live. Pringle got there first, early in the morning. Second came too tough hired hands, "thugs" in Pringle's description, who informed Pringle that Mr. Grey was on his way and could he please stop disturbing Mr. Grey's water? :lol:

I wasn't there, I didn't see it, just a story I heard years ago from an old timer.

A footnote: Pringle last lived in one of two cabins on the river owned by my father. Back then, I believe in the mid to late 70s, I was in Oregon and an old family friend, visiting from Los Angeles, invited me along on a guided float trip down the river.

So we're floating down the river, and the guide says we are approaching a good piece of water called "The Siren Hole." I asked about the name, and he says, pointing to a nearby cabin "just the slightest noise sets off a siren burglar alarm on the roof of that stupid @#*&$@#@'s cabin."

When we got home, I told Dad he'd better fix his burglar alarm.

And maybe put up a plaque, "Zane Grey fished here."

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 04:08 PM

I had heard something similar when I was up there but didn't bring it up on this thread.

I was told that Z.G. would hire people to "reserve" his favorite holes until he showed up. Basically if you approached one of these holes you were told to move on because they were taken.

There are other unflattering rumors about the man from folks at Avalon, but why dwell upon them. He's still a wonderful writer and all of the above mentioned virtues will never be taken away from the man.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:18 PM

Perhaps my most treasured book from boyhood.

It's the 1919 edition. I don't know what it's worth. The images of the great barracuda on the jacket appear to be actual photographs that were glued to the cover. Imagine the time it took to pulish books like that.

tales_of_fishes.jpg - 49kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:27 PM

Skipjack! That's a treasure!:O:O
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.