BajaNomad

Mulege River Fishing

Sharksbaja - 5-20-2007 at 02:37 PM

Some of those are BIG. I've seen 2 footers leaping their way upstream and downstream many evenings. Also, when the phosphorescense in present the fish swimming by make for a great light-show! Folks always said "don't eat those fish from the river. But now seeing how clean it is makes you worry much less. The old low tide smell is gone.

comitan - 5-20-2007 at 02:47 PM

So what you guys are saying is the flood did some good.

aquaholic - 5-20-2007 at 03:46 PM

...you bet it did some good, Comitan. After the brush is cleared and the channel is dredged, they're going to introduce peac-ck bass so Pompano can cast from his private and personalized stool at the Jungle...:spingrin:

Don Alley - 5-20-2007 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
quote]Originally posted by fishbuck
I read in one of the old Baja books of a really bike fish the lived in the river. Maybe giant Black Snook.
Are those big fish still in there?

You bet, fishbuck. Ray Cannon would never lie, would he?

I can tell you for a fact that I have seen many nice fish jumping out there in the river. I can see them quite clearly from my stool at Jungle Jim's. I predict that soon people will be fishing the river like never before. It is coming.....I may even pack a flyrod along to Happy Hour.

Here's a photo of the old fisherman, himself, Ray Cannon...with a Giant Black Snook.. in Mulege.

But that ain't Ray Cannon... this is Ray Cannon

Bajagypsy - 5-20-2007 at 06:16 PM

What a lot of work that has been done since we were there in November. I can't beleive the difference.

Don Alley - 5-20-2007 at 06:25 PM

Here's a scan of Cannon with black snook from Mulege, taken from his Sea of Cortez book. And as for a "slight sense of theater," well, his version of snook fishing in Mulege had horns blowing at the prison and people running for the hills. But he was, after all, a Hollywood movie guy.

Kira describes Cannon and the snook in his Cannon biography. The snook in this picture were speared during the previous night. Supposedly, after great efforts, Cannon did hook one on a hook and line, but it was then speared instead of gaffed and no record application could be submitted.

RC.jpg - 46kB

Don Alley - 5-20-2007 at 06:33 PM

As I first began fishing, I found Cannon's first book on our basement bookshelf. Everything you needed to know about local saltwater fishing. And I still have that book, here in Baja. Cannon was a hero, right up there with Sandy Koufax. :biggrin: I never got to meet Koufax, but I did meet Cannon at one of the boat shows in LA at the Pan Pacific Auditorium. And having been to Baja a few years before, I quickly grabbed Cannon's The Sea of Cortez when it was released a few years later. And of course, everytime I drive by the river at Mulege I think of the giant snook, although I have no idea if there are any left.

IMG_0003.jpg - 35kB

Don Alley - 5-20-2007 at 06:43 PM

Pomp, funny things happen in the sportfishing media. I had a partner in the flyfishing business, who years before was a guide in Jackson Wyoming. He described a visit by Curt Gowdy and the American Sportsman crew. The local guides were asked to catch and refridgerate some big ones in advance, "just in case." Well, the weather turned bad, the fishing was terrible, but big investments were committed and the show had to go on, so it did, with artful shots of fly anglers pulling on big rocks, then posing with thawed fish.:lol:

But that's better than the magazine photo of the famous Idaho guide and flytyer releasing a mounted trout into a stream. Hey, writing fishing stories is easy, but coming up with a supporting photo can be tough!:lol:

Cypress - 5-20-2007 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for the river pictures.:D

Bob H - 5-20-2007 at 08:58 PM

Pompano, this photos are just fantastic. Thanks a million for your posts. This is great news.
Can't wait to come down in October.
Bob H

fishbuck - 5-20-2007 at 10:23 PM

Well since I cuoldn't get a straight answer from Pompano about the snook I googled:

Mulege Fishing Reports and Sportfishing Vacation Information
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/mulg/mulg.htm

Sharksbaja - 5-20-2007 at 11:34 PM

Definitely catch & release!;D

fishbuck - 5-21-2007 at 02:58 PM

Thanks, Pompano! I do appreciate your humor. But know I know about the Mulege snook too. I guess I suspected that was the case. Maybe the snook can make a comeback after the river restoration project.

Don Alley - 5-21-2007 at 03:28 PM

FlyfishinPam used to have a photo on her site, maybe still does, of a fellow Montanan with a Loreto area snook. But either Bill or Pam wouldn't say just where it was caught. From what I know of Bill he might not remember where he caught it, or maybe didn't know where he was when he caught it.:biggrin:

But there are some estuaries around that look like they could have some snook in them.

When Loreto Bay finishes their estuary project, expect some big ones. :lol:

Really.:lol::lol:

Ain't Ray Cannon!

Fang - 5-27-2007 at 10:10 PM

As someone has already noted the picture in the orig. post is not Ray Cannon, It's Ben Hunter, a 1950's radio personality & former FBI agent who had a home In Baja California Norte.

Don Alley - 5-28-2007 at 07:24 AM

Now plant mangroves along the river bank to provide cover and improved fish habitat, and you can sell carbon offsets over the internet. You can use the proceeds from that to buy gas for the outboard.:biggrin:

Paula - 5-28-2007 at 07:56 AM

If that's Lake Michigan you're a lot older than you look Pompano!:O:O:O

Paula - 5-28-2007 at 08:20 AM

Early shot of Pompano dividing the waters from the earth:

Paula - 5-28-2007 at 09:07 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Tomas Tierra - 5-30-2007 at 08:12 AM

If you had a rod holder on your barstool, you could fish(maybe not catch, but fish) Robalo Negro while you soak.

Diver - 5-30-2007 at 06:43 PM

Looks like Barred Pargo for dinner !

toneart - 5-30-2007 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
..IF we pay attention to the habitat conservation along the newly cleared river, we might...just might..get some nice fishing in the river...like snook and snapper. Hmm..snook & snapper..that sounds like a good name for a c-cktail, doesn't it?

By the way, who can tell me what kind of 'pargo' we have here? (Hint: they are not illegal aliens, have caused no personal harm to either of us, are not buying waterwasting condos in Loreto, and are not liberal or conservative.)

Mexican Pargo?:light:

fishbuck - 5-30-2007 at 07:34 PM

It looks like 2 different kinds of fish. Both Mexican Barred Pargo?

Cypress - 5-31-2007 at 06:04 AM

About those pargo. Saw a pic of one, not barred, but red, that weighed 55 lbs. on the hulltruth fishing site. Huge.:o Caught somewhere in Mexico. Possibly in Sea of Cortez.:)

fishbuck - 5-31-2007 at 06:56 AM

The one on the left.

Barred Pargo Photos and Fish Species Information
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/fish/bdparg/bdparg.htm

fishbuck - 5-31-2007 at 06:58 AM

The one on the right.

Yellow Snapper
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ysnap/ysnap.htm

fishbuck - 5-31-2007 at 07:02 AM

Or maybe this one(r/h).

Red Snapper
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/fish/rsnp/rsnp.htm

Hook - 5-31-2007 at 12:42 PM

So, how far would the run from Mag Bay to Rio Mulege me with a batch of small black snook? And could it be done with a battery powered aerator and a Costco ice chest?

Hook - 5-31-2007 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Don..the other local version of the same episode has the snook being flown over from the mainland to Club Aero Mulege.

Was this how the term "snookered" got started..........by a fisherman turned writer???? :lol:

Cypress - 5-31-2007 at 12:52 PM

Restocking the Mulege with Snook?:?:To make it happen, we're talking about a hatchery and knocking-out that dam below the mission.:yes: