Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege River Fishing
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 02:37 PM
You betcha Pomp

Some of those are BIG. I've seen 2 footers leaping their way upstream and downstream many evenings. Also, when the phosphorescense in present the fish swimming by make for a great light-show! Folks always said "don't eat those fish from the river. But now seeing how clean it is makes you worry much less. The old low tide smell is gone.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 02:47 PM

So what you guys are saying is the flood did some good.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 03:46 PM

...you bet it did some good, Comitan. After the brush is cleared and the channel is dredged, they're going to introduce peac-ck bass so Pompano can cast from his private and personalized stool at the Jungle...:spingrin:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
quote]Originally posted by fishbuck
I read in one of the old Baja books of a really bike fish the lived in the river. Maybe giant Black Snook.
Are those big fish still in there?

You bet, fishbuck. Ray Cannon would never lie, would he?

I can tell you for a fact that I have seen many nice fish jumping out there in the river. I can see them quite clearly from my stool at Jungle Jim's. I predict that soon people will be fishing the river like never before. It is coming.....I may even pack a flyrod along to Happy Hour.

Here's a photo of the old fisherman, himself, Ray Cannon...with a Giant Black Snook.. in Mulege.

But that ain't Ray Cannon... this is Ray Cannon

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:16 PM

What a lot of work that has been done since we were there in November. I can't beleive the difference.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:25 PM

Here's a scan of Cannon with black snook from Mulege, taken from his Sea of Cortez book. And as for a "slight sense of theater," well, his version of snook fishing in Mulege had horns blowing at the prison and people running for the hills. But he was, after all, a Hollywood movie guy.

Kira describes Cannon and the snook in his Cannon biography. The snook in this picture were speared during the previous night. Supposedly, after great efforts, Cannon did hook one on a hook and line, but it was then speared instead of gaffed and no record application could be submitted.

RC.jpg - 46kB

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:33 PM

As I first began fishing, I found Cannon's first book on our basement bookshelf. Everything you needed to know about local saltwater fishing. And I still have that book, here in Baja. Cannon was a hero, right up there with Sandy Koufax. :biggrin: I never got to meet Koufax, but I did meet Cannon at one of the boat shows in LA at the Pan Pacific Auditorium. And having been to Baja a few years before, I quickly grabbed Cannon's The Sea of Cortez when it was released a few years later. And of course, everytime I drive by the river at Mulege I think of the giant snook, although I have no idea if there are any left.

IMG_0003.jpg - 35kB

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:43 PM

Pomp, funny things happen in the sportfishing media. I had a partner in the flyfishing business, who years before was a guide in Jackson Wyoming. He described a visit by Curt Gowdy and the American Sportsman crew. The local guides were asked to catch and refridgerate some big ones in advance, "just in case." Well, the weather turned bad, the fishing was terrible, but big investments were committed and the show had to go on, so it did, with artful shots of fly anglers pulling on big rocks, then posing with thawed fish.:lol:

But that's better than the magazine photo of the famous Idaho guide and flytyer releasing a mounted trout into a stream. Hey, writing fishing stories is easy, but coming up with a supporting photo can be tough!:lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for the river pictures.:D
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:58 PM

Pompano, this photos are just fantastic. Thanks a million for your posts. This is great news.
Can't wait to come down in October.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 10:23 PM

Well since I cuoldn't get a straight answer from Pompano about the snook I googled:

Mulege Fishing Reports and Sportfishing Vacation Information
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/mulg/mulg.htm

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 11:34 PM

Definitely catch & release!;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 02:58 PM

Thanks, Pompano! I do appreciate your humor. But know I know about the Mulege snook too. I guess I suspected that was the case. Maybe the snook can make a comeback after the river restoration project.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 03:28 PM

FlyfishinPam used to have a photo on her site, maybe still does, of a fellow Montanan with a Loreto area snook. But either Bill or Pam wouldn't say just where it was caught. From what I know of Bill he might not remember where he caught it, or maybe didn't know where he was when he caught it.:biggrin:

But there are some estuaries around that look like they could have some snook in them.

When Loreto Bay finishes their estuary project, expect some big ones. :lol:

Really.:lol::lol:

Fang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 10:10 PM
Ain't Ray Cannon!

As someone has already noted the picture in the orig. post is not Ray Cannon, It's Ben Hunter, a 1950's radio personality & former FBI agent who had a home In Baja California Norte.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 07:24 AM

Now plant mangroves along the river bank to provide cover and improved fish habitat, and you can sell carbon offsets over the internet. You can use the proceeds from that to buy gas for the outboard.:biggrin:

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 07:56 AM

If that's Lake Michigan you're a lot older than you look Pompano!:O:O:O

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:20 AM

Early shot of Pompano dividing the waters from the earth:

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 09:07 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 08:12 AM

If you had a rod holder on your barstool, you could fish(maybe not catch, but fish) Robalo Negro while you soak.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.