BajaNomad

Inspector checking fishing permits in Asuncion

shari - 6-30-2007 at 09:22 AM

A sad day for all as we had to cancel a fishing trip because our clients didn't get their permits. We warned em! We have a very nice inspector here who actually upholds the law!! and in a nice way...es muy buena onda...but sorry guys..no permit..no fishy. these guys were really peeed too and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit. It's like they hinted they'd never come back HERE...like we were the guilty party for asking if they had their permits. We had a long conversation with the inspector and he explained that many folks think that out here in the boonies they don't need permits but it's the oposite..this part of the coast is the best guarded with the coops really strict protecting thier product which is why we still have a lot of product here and they don't in other areas where they allow poaching, not to mention it being a biosphere reserve here as well. There is a lot to protect which is why they are stricter here. So things are changing here...getting better organized so you can no longer just get some fisherman to take you out for a few beers. The pangas belonging to the cooperatives cannot take you out as they are licensed for commercial fishing and the inspector WILL bust them and you...I mentioned that it is a bit difficult and we don't want to get a bad reputation for being the only company who checks fishing licenses which may affect our business...but we will not risk getting our permits revoked and panga confiscated either. So my question is....how many of you are asked if you have a personal fishing license when you charter a boat or guide to take you fishing??? I'm really curious. Pam...any thoughts on this or care to share your expertise??

backninedan - 6-30-2007 at 09:44 AM

Prior to moving to loreto, when I used to hire pangeros, I was asked on several occasions for my license. I don"t mind at all being asked. It's the law and being caught without one can be quite costly.

Hook - 6-30-2007 at 09:52 AM

I commend the official for upholding the law, but let's face it; it is difficult to impossible in some areas to actually GET a license. I can probably find more places issuing Mexican fishing licenses in SoCal than in all of Baja.

Shari, how far would someone have to drive from Asuncion to get a license if they wanted one?

David K - 6-30-2007 at 09:52 AM

You can't sell fishing licenses or boat permits in Asuncion?

shari - 6-30-2007 at 10:01 AM

No can do as there is no bank here...the closest place is Sta.Rosalia which is about 3 hours from here. I too commend the inspector for not succumbing to a bribe but he too has alot to lose if by chance the marines show up which they often do. If he let these guy go out, well...he'd have to let everybody go out...he's a real nice honest guy...not a jerk and does his job well...just explains the law and sticks to it. thanks for the feedback nomads.

bajalou - 6-30-2007 at 10:04 AM

If someone is coming to Baja California with a plan of fishing, seems to me they should PLAN to get a fishing license where they're available, whether So. Cal. or some larger town in Baja California.

Hook - 6-30-2007 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
If someone is coming to Baja California with a plan of fishing, seems to me they should PLAN to get a fishing license where they're available, whether So. Cal. or some larger town in Baja California.

It seems to me that if a country expects a law to be complied with, they shouldn't force someone to jump through hoops to comply. They should provide the means to comply.

I mean, who's fault is it that representatives of government organizations like Migra, Aduana and Profeca cant be trusted to accept payment.......... foreign fishermen?

What about someone who decides to fish on the spur of the moment? We all lilke spontaneity in our vacations.

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by Hook]

Al G - 6-30-2007 at 10:15 AM

I have been asked on a couple occasions, and that is OK. The thing that bothers me is inclusive prices when I buy an annual license every year and they do not want to credit me. They act like I am insulting them. Always ask Shari...Things are changing...I am happy for it...only about the law though.

shari - 6-30-2007 at 10:23 AM

the inspector said he'd heard rumors that the fishing permit laws are being revised to be simpler and more accessible. Thing is...for example, these guys tried to pay the inspector by giving him money and saying you can get our licenses for us later and send em to us...yeah right....this would open the door to corruption...that is what the migra used to do and the money never paid for the tourist cards...it's important in this country to eliminate the possibility of taking cash in hand...but maybe they could be paid for at the store like the electric bills or something. Anyway, they're working on it. Seems pretty easy for americans to get a permit though online or at a sporting goods store. Unfortunately these guys said they'd never come back to Asuncion which has me stumped...why punish us because they screwed up???? sour grapes...

toneart - 6-30-2007 at 10:36 AM

Can someone who knows, post location in So. Cal where one can obtain a Baja fishing license? Also, someone in Ensenada post a location, please. People could get them on their way to their fishing spot.

I get mine in Sta Rosalia which is nearest to Mulege, but that is not a practical place to have to go to get a fishing license for Shari's clients and many others. If you own a boat with fishing gear, don't forget that the boat also has to have a fishing license, and everyone onboard needs one, even if they are not fishing! They will confiscate your boat too and you will never get it back.

Yes, I have heard over and over again that no inspector has ever checked them. You are playing Mexican Roulette if you don't have it.

Al G - 6-30-2007 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

It seems to me that if a country expects a law to be complied with, they shouldn't force someone to jump through hoops to comply. They should provide the means to comply.

I mean, who's fault is it that representatives of government organizations like Migra, Aduana and Profeca cant be trusted to accept payment.......... foreign fishermen?

I agree with both...reasonable people will acquire a license....but not all are aware of the situation and the government is not providing the necessary infarstucture...but things are changing...maybe.

Al G - 6-30-2007 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Can someone who knows, post location in So. Cal where one can obtain a Baja fishing license? Also, someone in Ensenada post a location, please. People could get them on their way to their fishing spot.

I get mine in Sta Rosalia which is nearest to Mulege, but that is not a practical place to have to go to get a fishing license for Shari's clients and many others. If you own a boat with fishing gear, don't forget that the boat also has to have a fishing license, and everyone onboard needs one, even if they are not fishing! They will confiscate your boat too and you will never get it back.

Yes, I have heard over and over again that no inspector has ever checked them. You are playing Mexican Roulette if you don't have it.

toneart...the easiest and most convenient way is to use Vagabundos...1 call and you get all that you need All licenses, insurances, all sort of information...etc. Major draw back (not to me) $40 bucks a year membership. They even emailed me Mexican liability when I stayed longer then I thought I would.

JZ - 6-30-2007 at 11:01 AM

Hook is spot on with his comments.

Don Alley - 6-30-2007 at 11:18 AM

Many tackle shops in Southern California sell Mexican permits. They are also available through the mail from Vagabundos and the Conapesca office in San Diego.

They are available on a web site, but the site does not accept credit cards or Paypal. It's apparently set up to allow a buiness to get licenses for clients with transfers from their bank accounts. It's unwieldy and needs work. But if Shari has a Mexican bank account she might be able to get licenses for her guests and print them out on the spot:

http://pesca.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/pagoelectronico/ayudad...

You can buy them in Loreto, but the office closes early and is not open on weekends so many visitors who arrive without licenses fish without them.

I've been checked at the Loreto Marina and out near the islands. Shari, send those folks here, they can fish and maybe THEN get busted.

Certainly they could do a better job of making licenses available here. But on the other hand people come with several rods and reels, big tackle boxes, special fishing clothing, big wheeled coolers-everything they need to catch fish and bring them back. But they couldn't bring a license?:rolleyes:

BajaWarrior - 6-30-2007 at 11:31 AM

They can also be purchased at Discover Baja in San Diego along with boat permits.

www.discoverbaja.com

Hook - 6-30-2007 at 11:43 AM

Last time I checked, they were available at Fisherman's Landing, Romero's in Newport Beach, the Grant Boys in Costa Mesa.........maybe Turners, maybe Jig Stop, maybe The Longfin.

I get mine through the Vags.

Iflyfish - 6-30-2007 at 12:03 PM

We got our in Ensenada, north end of town, just as you enter town. Next to Port Authority.

Hmmmm, lets see, "I plan to fish without a license and then when caught I will blame you and the resource officer for their inconveniencing me?"

It would take a lot of time to unravel this logic let alone respond to it. Myself, I would feel fortunate if they did not confiscate my tackle in a situation like this.

Iflyfish

elgatoloco - 6-30-2007 at 12:05 PM

We occasionally get a spur of the moment urge to fish while we are in Baja. That is why we always make sure we have our fishing licenses up to date and in hand/tackle box.

Shari- if these so called fishermen are saying they will never come back to Asuncion then it's likely that they are the types that one would not care to see around. Where is the personal responsibility?

jorgie - 6-30-2007 at 12:18 PM

Methinks a fishing licence can be obtained in GN.......no ????

Osprey - 6-30-2007 at 12:22 PM

Shari, the last few visiting fishermen coming to our area to fish, at my suggestion, contacted Vagabundos, got all the necessary permits, did not have to buy a membership in the club. All handled with phone/fax/credit cards, simple and fast.

DianaT - 6-30-2007 at 12:32 PM

Code:
and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit.

Not sure, but thought I read somewhere that in the past when one went out fishing on a charter in Baja, that the boat fishing license covered everyone. ?????

I know that is not the case now---just curious.

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by jdtrotter]

Al G - 6-30-2007 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Shari, the last few visiting fishermen coming to our area to fish, at my suggestion, contacted Vagabundos, got all the necessary permits, did not have to buy a membership in the club. All handled with phone/fax/credit cards, simple and fast.

I had heard something about license without membership...was not sure though...I have purchased insurance and permits for friends who were not members.
My question is how did they delivery...they can send a printable "PDF" by email for insurance....I thought the Fishing permit was a Official document that should not be reproduced. Guess I should have Vags before writing this...looking at the document I could... reproduce it from PDF on the spot.

vacaenbaja - 6-30-2007 at 12:50 PM

I have always had an annual Mexican fishing license for the last 30 years
It is a better value than a California license as the Mexican license
"year" starts the day you buy it and ends a true year later. In California
if you buy your license in November, you pay full price and it is expired in
December that same year. I have never been asked for my license south of
Ensenada. Could not purchase one for a friend to save my own life in La Paz or Loreto (circa 1999) Get laughed at by pangueros and Marlin skippers everytime I ask if they are checking for them.
Only until very recently in Loreto did I here from one panguero that it was good that I had one as the government there was getting stricter with collecting taxes for property and fees for fishing from the locals.
The most likely spot for checking of licenses was in Ensenada where I have seen the inspectors checking on occasion. It seemed to be a big game at the landing however as they had started charging for 1 day licenses as part of the fare and they would not pass them out for you to fill out usless they knew of an inspection.
They apparently would radio ahead or get a call as to if someone was there to inspect. The date had always been a simple black ink rubber date stamp back then. No inspection , none filled out. sell the SAME licenses again to the next load.
Been asked once while surf fishing, which does not require a
license. Someone obviously looking for cash. Rather than quote the law I
simply produced both my Mexican and California fishing license and asked
which he prefered. He walked away rather surprised and crestfallen.
If you bothered to find out where on the map Asuncion is and planned to go fishing, you should have as part of your plan purchased a license.
I sure those folks didn't forget to buy bait or beer.

Osprey - 6-30-2007 at 01:54 PM

Vagabundos (I'm not a member) buys blocks of licenses from Mexico -- some years back when Mexico ran out, the Vags still had em. They mail em or fax em triple quick. Boat permits too. I did it that ways several years until our local delagacion got em. The resorts around here say they buy blocks from La Paz but don't give the guests license evidence, just charge them to the room.

Don Alley - 6-30-2007 at 02:38 PM

I have seen US Customs officials ask for Mexican licenses when travelers brought coolers of fish fillets back. But they let them through with only a warning when they said thay had no license. It IS a requirement when bringing back fish, unless you have a bill of sale.

In Baja Sur, license money does not go to Mexico City, but stays in the state for a fund to enforce laws and protect fisheries. Ironically, I believe that fund is financing opposition to the Shark Norma.

Everyone who fishes here should obtain a fishing license. And that does not mean taking some all-inclusive resort's word for it: if they say license included, you don't get on the boat without one.

Diver - 6-30-2007 at 02:39 PM

I get mine in advance every year. What's the big deal ?
I have always been asked for my permit when I go on charters unless it is included in the charter. You still have to fill out the form, etc.

I had mine in my pocket when I went out with Juan this winter.
It did get a little wet after my graceful face-plant in the break while trying to look cool helping beach the boat !! :biggrin:

You should probably remind those that call to arrange fishing tours to get their permits before they come. Some folks need more help than others....

DianaT - 6-30-2007 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

I had mine in my pocket when I went out with Juan this winter.
It did get a little wet after my graceful face-plant in the break while trying to look cool helping beach the boat !! :biggrin:

No pictures of that??? Too bad. :spingrin::spingrin:

Diane

David K - 6-30-2007 at 02:58 PM

Castro's Camp (Ej. Erendira/ Pta. San Isidro) used to include the license when my dad and I fished on their pangas... back in the 80's...

An annual license would be the ticket for sure... just like us getting annual auto insurance policies... if you go to Baja to fish.

Oso - 6-30-2007 at 03:06 PM

Yes, it IS a hassle to get and SD tackle shops are probably the best places. One more time, I'll trot out this old story from the Amigos board for any newbies who haven't seen it yet.

The SEMARNAP Samba
By Oso
First online 7/13/99 www.bajanet.com

"Forget San Diego", said Nigel, "you can get your tourist card and fishing license in Ensenada." Well, Nigel should know, I thought. He's lived in Ensenada off & on for years. It was only halfway through the dance lesson that I realized one crucial detail; Nigel doesn't fish. He'd never actually done the SEMARNAP Samba.

It began with the surly, suspicious slob at Migracion (which, of course, is on the wrong side of the street, going north back to the border, with exactly one available parking space). Where do I get a fishing license? I asked in English, not wanting to let the migra know that I spoke Spanish. Maybe you get from boat captain, he said, waving me out the door. Well no, actually I plan to surf fish mostly, I said. [At the time I didn't know a license was not required to fish from shore.] "Maybe you go Anthony's Bar. Maybe round there." He said, his body language indicating that maybe I go and do something vaguely immoral and physically impossible to myself, further assistance being clearly beyond his responsibility or inclination.

Well, Anthony's Bar (the one with the gorilla) is sort of near where the guidebooks [circa 1999] say the Secretaria de Pesca may be found. Only it isn't there anymore and it isn't the Secretaria de Pesca anymore. It's the Secretaria de Medio Ambiente, Recursos Naturales y Pesca (SEMARNAP), and it's on the second floor of a small commercial building at the corner of Ave. Guadalupe and Calle Segunda (second street). Only you won't find any street signs saying Calle Segunda. If you find any street signs at all [rare], they will say Cabrillo. Despite both guidebooks and local maps showing 1st, 2nd, 3rd streets, those are not their official names and they are not marked as such. Ave. Lopez Mateos is "understood" to be AKA 1st St. and so on.

Once there (2 hrs later), and feeling safe enough to use my reasonably fluent Spanish, I found the young lady in charge of sporting licenses and was shown a chart with prices for 1 day, one week, etc. As the price was the same for one month as it was for 2 weeks, I chose the former.

"Do you have the forms?" She asked. "Im supposed to bring the forms? You don't have them here?" I naively asked. "You will have to get them at Hacienda," she said, referring to another bureaucracy, the Secretaria de Hacienda. "It's just around the corner," she added helpfully, handing me a slip of paper denoting two copies of form number 5. I walked around a rather long block searching for an elusive governmental monolith. What I found was a small storefront selling children's notebooks, school supplies and yes, government forms.

"Only two copies?" asked the pleasant matron behind the counter, "They usually want three." I was not about to argue and since the cost per form was only a few cents, would have bought dozens, if necessary. Returning to SEMARNAP, I presented the forms and relayed the store clerk's opinion that three copies might be required. "Is it three?" the young lady asked a co-worker. "Yes, I think so." I waited for the forms to be typed up in triplicate, glad that I had not tried to save 50 centavos and been sent back for another. When she returned to the counter, I reached for my wallet. "Oh, you don't pay here." She said. "You have to go to BANAMEX."

"Excuse me, Miss, you sell fishing licenses here but you don't have the forms and you don't accept the payment?"I asked, incredulously. "That's correct." - "So now I have to go to the bank?"- "And then come back here.", she explained with a smile.

In my usual gringo mode, I would have been steaming by now. But, once I got off the nightmarish San Diego Freeway and across the border, I had determined to let nothing upset me. I needed to change some currency anyway, so almost amused now I went off to BANAMEX, some several blocks away, took a number, paid 166 pesos and returned to SEMARNAP with a receipt, where I waited for the Srta. to get the Liciensado in charge to sign off on the forms and present me with my license.

"Thank you!" I said, "and do you have any brochures with the regulations, limits and such?" "They're on the back of your license.", she said. And so they are, in microscopic print.

Being a guest in another sovereign state, it was definitely not my place to make comments regarding efficiency. As I reflected on the process, it occurred to me that all of this might have a purpose. What, you may ask? Well Mexican Gov't employees don't make very much money and since no one had even hinted at a mordida, there are probably few perks either (in this particular branch). One perk might perhaps be a bit of amusement to lighten the day. What fun it must be to teach dumbfounded gringos to dance in circles. What expressions on their faces! And the short ones in Hawaiian shirts, how red they get! The whole process had taken about 4 hours and with the right attitude, had been an adventure in itself.

David K - 6-30-2007 at 03:12 PM

Wonderful story Oso... many thanks !!!

Al G - 6-30-2007 at 06:26 PM

The same still exist in Ensenada as I found out for my Tourist visa...things are closer together, but the same...Progress???:lol:

Iflyfish - 6-30-2007 at 06:51 PM

Same process for that auto sticker and fishing lic. One window, then another and fortunately for us now, a bank annex in the same building.

I outlined this process on another site for owners of the motor home that we have. I encouraged them to purchase a copy of There Is A Word For It In Mexico to read while standing in line. This book was recommended by another Nomad, remind me who you are please, who was kind enough to share it with us under the subject Cultural Differances, Ain't They Interesting.

I further admonished them to pick it up every time they engaged in some sort of beuroctatic proceedure and to see if they could identify which sort of transaction was occuring. Is this a chinga, or just a macho face saving behavior? Is this system set up to avoid anyone person being responsible for anything? Is this system designed to avoid anyone holding cash? Is this an example of hereditary positions that are not service positions as we understand them but honorary positions that one obtains and then holds onto by not making any mistakes? Sort of like being named the chairman of a board that never meets or meets once a year at a golf course? This reading is of course a great form of distraction. This reading also has the virtue of saving you the time and energy of sorting out how this beurocracy could operate efficiently. It also saves you the embarassment of responding like most of your fellow gringos by providing the much needed and heeded advice about how to streamline this whole whack a mole game.

Thanks for the great story Oso. By the way, I appreciate your posts.

Iflyfish

flyfishinPam - 6-30-2007 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
A sad day for all as we had to cancel a fishing trip because our clients didn't get their permits. We warned em! We have a very nice inspector here who actually upholds the law!! and in a nice way...es muy buena onda...but sorry guys..no permit..no fishy. these guys were really peeed too and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit. It's like they hinted they'd never come back HERE...like we were the guilty party for asking if they had their permits. We had a long conversation with the inspector and he explained that many folks think that out here in the boonies they don't need permits but it's the oposite..this part of the coast is the best guarded with the coops really strict protecting thier product which is why we still have a lot of product here and they don't in other areas where they allow poaching, not to mention it being a biosphere reserve here as well. There is a lot to protect which is why they are stricter here. So things are changing here...getting better organized so you can no longer just get some fisherman to take you out for a few beers. The pangas belonging to the cooperatives cannot take you out as they are licensed for commercial fishing and the inspector WILL bust them and you...I mentioned that it is a bit difficult and we don't want to get a bad reputation for being the only company who checks fishing licenses which may affect our business...but we will not risk getting our permits revoked and panga confiscated either. So my question is....how many of you are asked if you have a personal fishing license when you charter a boat or guide to take you fishing??? I'm really curious. Pam...any thoughts on this or care to share your expertise??

Shari,

please excuse me as my main PC died day before yesterday after a series of ongoing problems since Hurricane John (cooincidence but true), so I decided to do a complete change and buy Mac systems for home and business. awaiting delivery on them should be next week.

please U2U me and i'll give some sound advice that you'll understand but others may not so let's not drag it out here. one thing to keep in mind is that if it is impossible to purchase permits after making every effort your husband can still work but need to be very firm. remember it is not our fault as workers who depend on our source of income and to provide service when we can't in fact comply to impossible regulations. it is the fault of the officials who have stolen for many years that we have to prepay for licenses and jump through these hoops, remind officials of that when they check. get ID numbers and names and report them to La Paz, they cannot take away your husbands "fuente de poder" to make a living to feed his family. I think you know what that means.

I wanna come visit in the fall but don't worry I bought my license on the conapesca website and have all notes, papers proving my payment but that website is codd incorrectly and it is impossible to print it up! so what the heck I just now fish with a file full of papers and say have fun reading and figuring this out!

good luck, the things we put up with for great fishing!

flyfishinPam - 6-30-2007 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Many tackle shops in Southern California sell Mexican permits. They are also available through the mail from Vagabundos and the Conapesca office in San Diego.

They are available on a web site, but the site does not accept credit cards or Paypal. It's apparently set up to allow a buiness to get licenses for clients with transfers from their bank accounts. It's unwieldy and needs work. But if Shari has a Mexican bank account she might be able to get licenses for her guests and print them out on the spot:

http://pesca.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/pagoelectronico/ayudad...

You can buy them in Loreto, but the office closes early and is not open on weekends so many visitors who arrive without licenses fish without them.

I've been checked at the Loreto Marina and out near the islands. Shari, send those folks here, they can fish and maybe THEN get busted.

Certainly they could do a better job of making licenses available here. But on the other hand people come with several rods and reels, big tackle boxes, special fishing clothing, big wheeled coolers-everything they need to catch fish and bring them back. But they couldn't bring a license?:rolleyes:

conapesca's website accepts credit cards and you can even make a payment from Bank of America but try to figure it out. I don't trust my cc info going to conapesca and don't wanna mix my BofA account with business.

Currently you CANNOT buy licenses in town you must use the website. You can print out the forms and pay at the bank (who the hell wants to waste all day in that line?) or you can pay with an electronic transfer via a Mexican bank. Keep in miond with BBVA Bancomer it costs $180 pesos plus IVA to maintain that ability to make e-transfers each month.

I have this ability in my personal and business accounts here. once conapesca fixes the problems with its website I will be able to buy them 24 hours a day 7 days a week, look forward to it. But as it standa now, I can pay for them but they won't print out. I told PESCA and PROFEPA that there ain't no way I'm gonna pay for licenses I cvan't print out, I refuse to lose money on something that's their fault and I refuls to charge clients for something they don't receive.

one more thing when I think of it. I never turn down spontaneous trips as why the hell should I lose work or a panguero lose work because theyu can only sell licenses monday through friday from 9am to 2:30 pm? their fault not mine. I will fight and they will listen, that's how I am i fully understand my rights but I also have a track record of providing licenses adn marine park tickets to all my clients, even keep backup copies on file just in case, thay can't touch me man we work when there's work, over and out~

Paula - 6-30-2007 at 10:43 PM

Don and I went into the office at the marina in Loreto and bought a license for our boat and my fishing license on Tuesday June 26 with no difficulty. Rosalia typed up the forms and we took them to the office on Juarez to pay the fees, then back to the marina office-- all completed in less than half an hour.

Maybe the problem is in buying a batchof licenses for a business:?:

Bobbuzz - 6-30-2007 at 10:57 PM

I have never been asked for a lic. in Mex.

I have always assumed that when fishing on a panga that it was included.

Once I started bringing my own boats I always had my lic and boat permits.

Still I have never been checked.

Just lucky I guess.

problem

mulege marv - 7-1-2007 at 05:39 AM

this has recently become a problem in mulege also since bruce does not do them anymore. we have two tournaments here ayear yet you cannot get any of the required paperwork here to comply with mexican law. you can get a boat permit in santa rosalia if you have a temporary import on the boat, where do you get those ? la paz is the closest place. the powers to be make it very hard to comply with the law. its kinda like "a day at the races", and hopefully soon ,at the least fishing licences will be made available in mulege.

window.gif - 7kB

Bob and Susan - 7-1-2007 at 06:51 AM

here is the source for fishing licenses and temporary boat permits:light:

http://www.santarosaliacasitas.com/angel/index.htm

Angel (pronounced AnnHill) worked for the Social Security Dept and teaches english at the new university in Santa Rosalia

you can get a temporary import permit and fishing license in santa rosalia

angel.jpg - 12kB

Hook - 7-1-2007 at 09:18 AM

Which came first: paying for and receiving government services........

........or the Mexican Hat Dance?

tuna stick - 7-1-2007 at 10:00 AM

We went to the office at the marina on the 22nd. The clerk said we could pay there. Took all of five minues!

Bob and Susan - 7-1-2007 at 10:29 AM

the university is up on the hill just south of santa rosalia
i think this is the first year it's open

Angel helped me with some mexican internet banking 3 weeks ago...
he speaks perfect english

you'll be happy with his services

Paula - 7-1-2007 at 08:42 PM

{b}Tunastick

We are glad to hear that your papers are in order!

Mango - 7-2-2007 at 12:05 AM

Oso, your story reminded me of a time that took all day for me to get my tourist card extended in Guadalajara. Triplicate forms, all day in lines, back and forth to the bank, not this line.. that line. Lots of work for something so simple.

Mexico is a funny place sometimes. The power company drops the bill off at our place on foot; because, the mail system is so inefficient. Then you have to goto the bank and wait in line to pay it; because, of the same inefficient mail system.

Following the law, or even knowing it, in Mexico can be tough sometimes. I would agree with others here that the process needs to be simplified. Simplification could only encourage compliance; which, would in turn boost enforcement.

As screwed up as the law is now, we all need to try our best to follow it. It is not as if the law is immoral or unethical; it is just inconvenient. As some have pointed out there are easier ways to get the permit than others.

People seem to be able to jump through hoops to get an FMT, a passport, hunting licenses, and auto insurance. I'd think getting a fishing permit before you leave is not much different.

In Mexico, just as here in the US, there are easy ways to do things and hard ways to do things. The easy way with Mexico is to do your homework and take care of all the business and paperwork you can at home before setting out on vacation. The hard way? I think Oso outlined that pretty well.

Bob and Susan - 7-2-2007 at 05:46 AM

larry...it's a university...

you know..the thing you go to after "high" school:lol:

Paula - 7-2-2007 at 06:20 AM

Mango!

I have avitar envy-- that is WAY cool!

FISHIN !!

Norm - 7-2-2007 at 06:40 AM

:moon:WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ????We buy our fishin lis every year from the mex fishin dept in south land, no big deal + they mail it back , Your stamp~~ In on day !!!!We been doing this for the last 30+ years & have not had any problems/ yes we have never been ask for it !!!!!!
GOOD FISHIN ~NORM

Bob and Susan - 7-2-2007 at 06:53 AM

norm

if you bring your boat and
your boat is over 14 feet long
you need a temp import permit AND
a "boat" fishing license

you can ONLY get these in mexico

Osprey - 7-2-2007 at 07:41 AM

Bob and Susan, It's not a "boat fishing permit", it is a Boat Permit -- it looks just like a fishing license. You can get them through the travel clubs in the states. You mail or fax them boat ownership/registration papers, they issue the BOAT PERMIT, mail it to you.

Don Alley - 7-2-2007 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Bob and Susan, It's not a "boat fishing permit", it is a Boat Permit -- it looks just like a fishing license. You can get them through the travel clubs in the states. You mail or fax them boat ownership/registration papers, they issue the BOAT PERMIT, mail it to you.

You need the Conapesca BOAT PERMIT for ANY watercraft that you fish from. If you don't fish, then you don't need it, so it is a "boat fishing permit."

Here's the official lingo:

Fishing Licence=Permiso Individual de Pesca Deportivo-Recreativa
Boat=Permiso de Pesca Deportivo-Recreativa Para Embarcacion

They look very much alike and can be purchased in the same places, including travel clubs and many tackle shops in California.

Bob and Susan - 7-2-2007 at 08:12 AM

you can no longer get a "boat permit" without a temporary importation.

$50 for 10 years no mattter if you are on vacation or not

if you havent got the temp import you are illegal...

don...its 14 feet or larger
smaller boats are exempt
at least here

they are both purchased using the same form #5

Don Alley - 7-2-2007 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
you can no longer get a "boat permit" without a temporary importation.

$50 for 10 years no mattter if you are on vacation or not

if you havent got the temp import you are illegal...

don...its 14 feet or larger
smaller boats are exempt
at least here

they are both purchased using the same form #5

Small boats may be exempt from a temporary import license. But if you fish from it, you must have two fishing permits: one individual and one for the boat or kayak, regardless of size. They do require "documentation" of some kind to get the fishing permit in Loreto or at a US tackle shop; I could only get my kayak license at the Conapesca office in San Diego. I don't know if the travel clubs are selling them without documents or not.

Osprey - 7-2-2007 at 11:27 AM

Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit. Others here have done the same. I don't need a Forma 5 to buy a fishing license or boat FISHING permit where I buy mine -- they take my cash. Stop telling people who live all over the world the way they do things in Loreto or Mulege -- you're giving people bad advice if you think your way is the only way. This is MEXICO, come on.

Bob and Susan - 7-2-2007 at 11:40 AM

osprey this is BAD advice...CASH:lol:

if you registered the boat in mexico you are right you need no temp permit
but you are talking "apples and oranges"
most people are vacationers

you DO need a "boat fishing license" on FORM#5 at the fishing license office

cash will mean nothing when the NAVY comes to visit:lol:

where will your "friends" be then:lol:

Please clarify

Dave - 7-2-2007 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit.

You have permanently imported your boat and you have free run of Mexican waters?

Osprey - 7-2-2007 at 12:24 PM

I bought a panga, in Mexico, registered it here. I can fish coastal waters of Mexico.

Osprey - 7-2-2007 at 12:28 PM

Bob and Susan, I pay, have paid, will pay cash for my licenses and permits several places here. The collection agents provide and complete the forms, act for me, give me receipts for the money -- it is attached to the license, permits. DON'T THEY DO IT THAT WAY EVERYWHERE? DON'T THEY DO IT THAT WAY IN LORETO? MULEGE? GEE, I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SAME EVERYWHERE!

Reeljob - 7-2-2007 at 12:34 PM

Well, the reel deel is:

Even if you have an import permit, or don't, you need a fishing permit for EVERY BOAT. My Hatteras required a permit for fishing, even though it had an import permit. The dinghy, a 13" Boston Whaler, also required a fishing permit, even tho it was on the bow amost all the time when at sea.

Boarded by the Navy off Mag Bay, they requested BOTH permits (the Hat and the BWhaler). It does not matter whether your fishing, but if you have tackle OF ANY KIND, you must have the permit. And those guys know how to look Everywhere.

So, take your chances on the Pesca folks, but if you don't have the permit(s) and see the Navy approaching, run....

Hook - 7-2-2007 at 02:00 PM

I have to side with Osprey on this issue, especially since the Santa Rosalia office is decidedly out of step with the rest of Mexico.

But as any member of the Vagabundos or Discover Baja knows; you can get a boat permit for fishing WITHOUT getting a temporary import permit.

Don Alley - 7-2-2007 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit. Others here have done the same. I don't need a Forma 5 to buy a fishing license or boat FISHING permit where I buy mine -- they take my cash. Stop telling people who live all over the world the way they do things in Loreto or Mulege -- you're giving people bad advice if you think your way is the only way. This is MEXICO, come on.

I also bought and registered my Mexican-built boat in Mexico, so I have no need of a temporary import license, have never had one, and never advised anyone on where to get one.

There has been some confusion on this thread about the availability of licenses in Loreto. Paula and I have relayed our experience in just the last week. Up-to-date, verified information. Certainly not "bad advice."

Although we used the forms and paid at a state finance office, the Loreto Conapesca office has taken cash payments in the past. If you are in a hurry, especially if you have exact change, ask and she'll probably say OK. I have no reason not to trust her honesty.

Other areas may do things differently. I have never said that the way we do things in Loreto is the only way, in fact I have mentioned alternatives.

However...one of the popular alternatives common in Baja has been to fish at all-inclusive resorts, "licenses included," without ever seeing a license. I have heard allegations in the past that many of these licenses never existed or were never filled out. I've also read irrelevant comments here that "they never check where I fish." License money for BCS is now used in BCS for protection of sportfisheries. It does not go into a black hole in Mexico City. So, yeah, I'll get on a soapbox and tell people who fish ANYWHERE that they should have, in their possession, any and all required licenses, otherwise they are no better than poachers. And I don't care if it's Mexico, the US, or Canada.

BajaWarrior - 7-2-2007 at 03:30 PM

So let me get this straight.

My wife and I are going to Bahia Asuncion in August. We are bringing a 12' three person jetski. We will use the jetski to fish from but mostly to get to the islands in the area to fish. We will both have fishing liscense and will get a boat permit.

Do I need a temporary boat permit as well?

A couple of guys say on here no permit for under 14' but a couple of guys say you do.

I have no problem purchasing any of these permits, just want to know the score.

flyfishinPam - 7-2-2007 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Don and I went into the office at the marina in Loreto and bought a license for our boat and my fishing license on Tuesday June 26 with no difficulty. Rosalia typed up the forms and we took them to the office on Juarez to pay the fees, then back to the marina office-- all completed in less than half an hour.

Maybe the problem is in buying a batchof licenses for a business:?:

you bought them in June Rosalia closed out the month on Thursday the 28th and we've been instructed to buy online after that date. I know of what I speak as this is my line of work, my livlihood no rumors here.

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by flyfishinPam]

"Loreto Run Around"

LaTijereta - 7-2-2007 at 06:29 PM

We got permits this week at Savon Tackle in Sante fe Springs

1 week = $22.50
1 year = $32.50

DONE>> Now let's go fishing:light:

flyfishinPam - 7-2-2007 at 06:53 PM

Yeah easier to buy in the USA then here and the PROFEPA and PESCA guys know it too. They just laugh about it like me because we have to follow the rules here, oh well.

BajaBruno - 7-2-2007 at 10:44 PM

I recently chased all over La Paz and finally got a fishing license for a buddy who came to stay with me. It was an amazing hassle, although now that I have visited the four or five places I didn't need to go to and figured out the proper order of the places I did need to go to, I think I could do it a lot more quickly than the day and a half it took me the first time.

If anyone needs directions to get a license in La Paz, U2 me and I'll spell out the drill.