Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Inspector checking fishing permits in Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:22 AM
Inspector checking fishing permits in Asuncion

A sad day for all as we had to cancel a fishing trip because our clients didn't get their permits. We warned em! We have a very nice inspector here who actually upholds the law!! and in a nice way...es muy buena onda...but sorry guys..no permit..no fishy. these guys were really peeed too and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit. It's like they hinted they'd never come back HERE...like we were the guilty party for asking if they had their permits. We had a long conversation with the inspector and he explained that many folks think that out here in the boonies they don't need permits but it's the oposite..this part of the coast is the best guarded with the coops really strict protecting thier product which is why we still have a lot of product here and they don't in other areas where they allow poaching, not to mention it being a biosphere reserve here as well. There is a lot to protect which is why they are stricter here. So things are changing here...getting better organized so you can no longer just get some fisherman to take you out for a few beers. The pangas belonging to the cooperatives cannot take you out as they are licensed for commercial fishing and the inspector WILL bust them and you...I mentioned that it is a bit difficult and we don't want to get a bad reputation for being the only company who checks fishing licenses which may affect our business...but we will not risk getting our permits revoked and panga confiscated either. So my question is....how many of you are asked if you have a personal fishing license when you charter a boat or guide to take you fishing??? I'm really curious. Pam...any thoughts on this or care to share your expertise??

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:44 AM

Prior to moving to loreto, when I used to hire pangeros, I was asked on several occasions for my license. I don"t mind at all being asked. It's the law and being caught without one can be quite costly.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:52 AM

I commend the official for upholding the law, but let's face it; it is difficult to impossible in some areas to actually GET a license. I can probably find more places issuing Mexican fishing licenses in SoCal than in all of Baja.

Shari, how far would someone have to drive from Asuncion to get a license if they wanted one?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:52 AM

You can't sell fishing licenses or boat permits in Asuncion?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:01 AM

No can do as there is no bank here...the closest place is Sta.Rosalia which is about 3 hours from here. I too commend the inspector for not succumbing to a bribe but he too has alot to lose if by chance the marines show up which they often do. If he let these guy go out, well...he'd have to let everybody go out...he's a real nice honest guy...not a jerk and does his job well...just explains the law and sticks to it. thanks for the feedback nomads.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:04 AM

If someone is coming to Baja California with a plan of fishing, seems to me they should PLAN to get a fishing license where they're available, whether So. Cal. or some larger town in Baja California.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
If someone is coming to Baja California with a plan of fishing, seems to me they should PLAN to get a fishing license where they're available, whether So. Cal. or some larger town in Baja California.

It seems to me that if a country expects a law to be complied with, they shouldn't force someone to jump through hoops to comply. They should provide the means to comply.

I mean, who's fault is it that representatives of government organizations like Migra, Aduana and Profeca cant be trusted to accept payment.......... foreign fishermen?

What about someone who decides to fish on the spur of the moment? We all lilke spontaneity in our vacations.

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by Hook]

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:15 AM

I have been asked on a couple occasions, and that is OK. The thing that bothers me is inclusive prices when I buy an annual license every year and they do not want to credit me. They act like I am insulting them. Always ask Shari...Things are changing...I am happy for it...only about the law though.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:23 AM

the inspector said he'd heard rumors that the fishing permit laws are being revised to be simpler and more accessible. Thing is...for example, these guys tried to pay the inspector by giving him money and saying you can get our licenses for us later and send em to us...yeah right....this would open the door to corruption...that is what the migra used to do and the money never paid for the tourist cards...it's important in this country to eliminate the possibility of taking cash in hand...but maybe they could be paid for at the store like the electric bills or something. Anyway, they're working on it. Seems pretty easy for americans to get a permit though online or at a sporting goods store. Unfortunately these guys said they'd never come back to Asuncion which has me stumped...why punish us because they screwed up???? sour grapes...

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

puzzled.gif posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:36 AM

Can someone who knows, post location in So. Cal where one can obtain a Baja fishing license? Also, someone in Ensenada post a location, please. People could get them on their way to their fishing spot.

I get mine in Sta Rosalia which is nearest to Mulege, but that is not a practical place to have to go to get a fishing license for Shari's clients and many others. If you own a boat with fishing gear, don't forget that the boat also has to have a fishing license, and everyone onboard needs one, even if they are not fishing! They will confiscate your boat too and you will never get it back.

Yes, I have heard over and over again that no inspector has ever checked them. You are playing Mexican Roulette if you don't have it.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

It seems to me that if a country expects a law to be complied with, they shouldn't force someone to jump through hoops to comply. They should provide the means to comply.

I mean, who's fault is it that representatives of government organizations like Migra, Aduana and Profeca cant be trusted to accept payment.......... foreign fishermen?

I agree with both...reasonable people will acquire a license....but not all are aware of the situation and the government is not providing the necessary infarstucture...but things are changing...maybe.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Can someone who knows, post location in So. Cal where one can obtain a Baja fishing license? Also, someone in Ensenada post a location, please. People could get them on their way to their fishing spot.

I get mine in Sta Rosalia which is nearest to Mulege, but that is not a practical place to have to go to get a fishing license for Shari's clients and many others. If you own a boat with fishing gear, don't forget that the boat also has to have a fishing license, and everyone onboard needs one, even if they are not fishing! They will confiscate your boat too and you will never get it back.

Yes, I have heard over and over again that no inspector has ever checked them. You are playing Mexican Roulette if you don't have it.

toneart...the easiest and most convenient way is to use Vagabundos...1 call and you get all that you need All licenses, insurances, all sort of information...etc. Major draw back (not to me) $40 bucks a year membership. They even emailed me Mexican liability when I stayed longer then I thought I would.

Albert G

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 11:01 AM

Hook is spot on with his comments.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 11:18 AM

Many tackle shops in Southern California sell Mexican permits. They are also available through the mail from Vagabundos and the Conapesca office in San Diego.

They are available on a web site, but the site does not accept credit cards or Paypal. It's apparently set up to allow a buiness to get licenses for clients with transfers from their bank accounts. It's unwieldy and needs work. But if Shari has a Mexican bank account she might be able to get licenses for her guests and print them out on the spot:

http://pesca.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/pagoelectronico/ayudad...

You can buy them in Loreto, but the office closes early and is not open on weekends so many visitors who arrive without licenses fish without them.

I've been checked at the Loreto Marina and out near the islands. Shari, send those folks here, they can fish and maybe THEN get busted.

Certainly they could do a better job of making licenses available here. But on the other hand people come with several rods and reels, big tackle boxes, special fishing clothing, big wheeled coolers-everything they need to catch fish and bring them back. But they couldn't bring a license?:rolleyes:

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 11:31 AM

They can also be purchased at Discover Baja in San Diego along with boat permits.

www.discoverbaja.com

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 11:43 AM

Last time I checked, they were available at Fisherman's Landing, Romero's in Newport Beach, the Grant Boys in Costa Mesa.........maybe Turners, maybe Jig Stop, maybe The Longfin.

I get mine through the Vags.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:03 PM

We got our in Ensenada, north end of town, just as you enter town. Next to Port Authority.

Hmmmm, lets see, "I plan to fish without a license and then when caught I will blame you and the resource officer for their inconveniencing me?"

It would take a lot of time to unravel this logic let alone respond to it. Myself, I would feel fortunate if they did not confiscate my tackle in a situation like this.

Iflyfish
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:05 PM

We occasionally get a spur of the moment urge to fish while we are in Baja. That is why we always make sure we have our fishing licenses up to date and in hand/tackle box.

Shari- if these so called fishermen are saying they will never come back to Asuncion then it's likely that they are the types that one would not care to see around. Where is the personal responsibility?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:18 PM

Methinks a fishing licence can be obtained in GN.......no ????
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:22 PM

Shari, the last few visiting fishermen coming to our area to fish, at my suggestion, contacted Vagabundos, got all the necessary permits, did not have to buy a membership in the club. All handled with phone/fax/credit cards, simple and fast.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.