BajaNomad

Whats up in Cabo Pulmo?

sledneck - 8-10-2007 at 07:33 AM

I just got back from C.P. lots of new fences, huge new signs 6'x10' red and white NO TRESSPASSING bla bla bla, guards everywhere all the way from Las Barracas to Vinorama.
Anybody know the real scoop, also whats the latest with the new road from the north supposedly going behind (west) of Las Barracas.

aliibike - 8-10-2007 at 09:49 AM

Former Mexican landowners, contesting the legality of sales, camping on their former property proclaiming it as their own again. Present owners hiring security to protect their property. Been going on for two months now and I haven't seen a thing written about it.

Don Alley - 8-10-2007 at 10:18 AM

New here, in Spanish:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25414

aliibike - 8-10-2007 at 10:38 AM

What sledneck saw is not the same thing. The house in Cabo Pulmo was demolished about a week before 30-40 people moved onto land South of Los Frailes, now there a copycats all along the road. Property owners have hired security guards that now live on the land. Monday morning, 5AM, I saw 20-30 police trucks headed toward the largest encampment. Haven't heard what went on. Maybe they threw everyone off?

Hook - 8-10-2007 at 03:11 PM

What's up with Cabo Pulmo?

Newport Beach is coming just a few years later than if we had annexed Baja in 1846.

Crusoe - 8-11-2007 at 06:56 AM

Osprey.......What is the latest that you have heard? Just exactly where... south of Los Frailes have these 30 to40 people moved onto? Antares ? Thank You for any and all info. ++C++

BCSTech - 8-12-2007 at 01:20 PM

I just sent a couple of e mails to some clients/friends we have there. Hopefully, they still have their PCs and HughesNet systems to reply...

aliibike - 8-12-2007 at 01:37 PM

I just saw an article in the Tribuna from Aug 8. I tried to get it online, but failed miserably! Maybe someone else can do it? The cop trucks I saw going by at 5AM (100 cops!) arrested all the squatters and took them away. Whether thats the end I don't know.

gnukid - 8-12-2007 at 10:00 PM

Weird vibe there for a long time.

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 06:19 AM

All the" Federales"???.......Just another Mexican comedy show!!..... Probably what is really happening is the powers that be ( High up Mexican Govt. Officials) who do not own all the beach front land they want in the area yet, and the land alongside both sides of the dirt road on the East Cape are putting the big squeeze on a little harder. The road from La Ribera to Cabo Del Sa Jose would have been paved 15 years ago if the right political familys had gotten their way. And the land they coveted. They just send in the military if they dont get their way...... When you stop to think about it.....it is just the same in the U.S.... When George Bush Sr. didn't nail Sadam,he had a second chance, so Little Georgie boy Jr. goes in with the full force of the U.S. Military to grab Sadam and..... so they thought.... all of Iraqs oil reserves, and now look at the mess we have. They thought they were dealing with alot of dumbed down Arabs?? Hello!!! Much different from some happy lazy satisfied little Mexicanos.Don't even start adding up the $$ amounts we have spent. And still no weapons of mass destruction. I hope the rightfull land owners in Cabo Pulmo are able to retain their property. ++C++

oldlady - 8-13-2007 at 06:28 AM

Fascinating leap for a comparison.

Osprey - 8-13-2007 at 07:14 AM

It is said "Hawk does not hunt til sun is high." Down here, waaay down south here, in the sizzlin summertime "Hawk does not hunt when sun is high." I was at Los Arbolitos beach about a month ago but there was little going on and I didn't get as far as Frailes. When families live in the same place for many generations they get to where they think they have some claim on the land. Such arrogance! BTW what's your best guess at how long is a generation? Then tell me why.

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 07:16 AM

Well stated Old Lady......Yes, Life is full of "Facinating Leaps" especialy if you happen to be a high up Mexican Political Official. You can have anything and every thing you ever wanted......But not so for women and children. For them they get non existant health care and no education. Keep em all ignorant and pregnant. And if there is any resistance, just send in the military. Just the Mexican way. It works well, but it all depends on which side your particular piece of bread is buttered on.Enjoy. ++C++

oldlady - 8-13-2007 at 07:45 AM

What do you suggest that you and I do tomorrow to start solving this problem in order to prevent ourselves from becoming an intrinsic part of it?

aliibike - 8-13-2007 at 12:09 PM

I don't think we can blame W for this one. I've heard stories that as far as Mexico City goes, the East Cape road was paved 15 years ago! Someone took off with the money long ago. And, I think you are right about someone getting paid off to remove the squatters. Someone was backing them, but the owners of the property had more money. Plus, the developers around here didn't like the looks of machete wielding hard cases camped out on the road. Bad for business. I'm just surprised it took so long to toss them out.

gnukid - 8-13-2007 at 01:12 PM

Squatting is a difficult issue to consider, ethically. Let's say someone who is extremely wealthy, has tons of property and homes and is deliquent in checking the properties fences. Then a large group comes and stays there, they get water and electrcity andwell, they have a home. Now the owner comes back and he has to negotiate to get them to leave or maybe they won't leave. Law gives them some rights after 15 years. But can they prove it. Squatters don't normally make good neighbors. Generalizing here, squatters don't do a lot of beautification and clean-up but they live and have rights equal to others and in many cases more rights. So who do you support? It's a battle happening all over baja.

Osprey - 8-13-2007 at 01:38 PM

Today's copy of the local Newspaper, 7 Dias en Los Cabos, says it turned ugly out there -- two 19 year old guys were hauled off after some gunplay. found a bunch of ammo, a 22 and a 44 in the car. A 44 down here gets lots of press and attention so Tribuna and others might run it now.

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 05:08 PM

The ammo and pistols were most certainly planted on the 19 yo boys by the federales...... The federales will do exactly what they want for whomever is willing to cough up the most $ the quickest.... Its the Mexican way. Its a good system. It works well. Just another educated opinion. ++C++

aliibike - 8-13-2007 at 05:32 PM

Not sure what the time line is with 7 Dias en Los Cabos, but I don't think you have the whole story yet. I had heard a couple weeks ago that the security guards had fired off a round into the air when they felt threatened by the squatters with machetes. All second hand by me!!!!! The squatters hadn't been there more than 2 months, not a year, not 15 years. This was very recent by people that sold the land 40 years ago and are trying to get their land back on a technicality, or more likely a big payout to leave.

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 06:21 PM

Thanks for the report aliibike. Just where exactly is this land located the squaters had try to establish themselves? Can you be specific as to location? Thank you so much. ++C++

aliibike - 8-13-2007 at 06:44 PM

South of Los Frailes, just south of Antares. Piedras Bolas. I might drive that way tomorrow, haven't been that far north for a month. I've heard everyone is gone but the cops.

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 07:15 PM

Thank You Alibike......Just south of Piedros Bolas there are some of the most magnificent sand dunes a person would ever hope to encounter. Lots of nice bird life and lots of coytes. Beautiful Sea of Cortez vistas. Nice beaches also. You will be in heaven. Thanks again. Do not miss.++C++

BCSTech - 8-13-2007 at 07:22 PM

Just heard from one of my friends in Cabo Pulmo:
Quote:
Thanks for the concern Alan. We're fine. All the gringos we know here are fine too. There are however, land wars going on between big developers, locals and squatters all over the East Cape. Next time you drive out this way you will not believe the fences, signs, armed vigilantes, etc.

Just south of us where several Castros had been squatting they were kicked off the land by the real owners. The Castros went ballistic and had the cops here, federal surveyors, the army has been out too and articles have been published in the papers that are totally bogus.

We have done extensive title and survey work here and the Castros are continually claiming land they don't own. They have the local government from the Governor on down all making uninformed statements about who's to blame.

So far the Castros are batting 0.

'It's all about the cash.' Clint Eastwood

CaboRon - 8-14-2007 at 06:31 AM

BCSTech,

What is a "castro" ?

Thanks, CaboRon :?:

BCSTech - 8-14-2007 at 06:59 AM

As near as I understand it, the Castros are a family that is trying to lay claim to land that was sold to others years ago. A development company, Crager Development, evicted them from some of the property the family was occupying and, in the process, destroyed a couple of homes the family had built on the disputed land.

Here is a Translated Version of one of the stories at Sudcalifornio.

aliibike - 8-14-2007 at 02:36 PM

I found the story I refered to the other day in the paper.
http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/newpage/index.cfm?op=por...

I drove back from town the North way through Cabo Pulmo. All I can say is the developers out here have done a fantastic job of keeping this thing quiet. Billboard type private property signs dwarf the Marine Park signs. Double barb wire fences, security tents, trailers. Outposts on hills. All the squatters I saw a month ago are gone, along with their very professional signs. The lawyers are going to make a killing on this, like they always do.