BajaNomad

Water worries

elgatoloco - 8-11-2007 at 10:19 PM

:no:

http://www.gringogazettenorth.com/index.php

flyfishinPam - 8-12-2007 at 06:24 AM

Hi there,

just in the shop for a few minutes and skimmed through the piece. first of all its nice that the GG north doesn´t make you pay to look at their online version, kudos for them!!

from what i read through very quickly, YES agents and salespersons are not giving all the infrmation to potential buyers on how serious the water situation is. for example last November my parents took a tour of Loreto Bay. My mother asked the sales representative about the water situation in Loreto and was told there is plenty of water and explained that we had just received water from Tropical Storm John and another system that dumped rain over Loreto for half a day in October. also the rep stated that they were going to put a de-sal plant in that will be about the size of a semi truck. So this is the complete B.S. that potential buyers are being told. The water worries is big news and truthful news that ought to replace the sales propoganda thats been passing off as "news" for the last three years. WE all need to spread the word, it is our responsibility to do so.

bacquito - 8-12-2007 at 09:33 AM

I enjoy hiking behind our lot in south Ensenada and compared to times past it is "bone dry" The soil is polvo and the plants are stressed or dead. Frequently we lack water pressure but the building continues. Has Mexico proposed a solution-salt water desalinization:?:

It's not only Loreto

Keri - 8-12-2007 at 09:45 AM

People up north better ask where their water is coming from too. I live here in La Mision, our water is being shut off and rerouted to Ensenada. It's happening every week. This week it was for 4 days. I had to pay $500.00 this weekend to have water trucked in for the resort. Water is up t $30.00 a truck load. Where are all these new condos being built going to get their water.Wait until their HOA's have to have water trucked in and their dues go up. Boy won't everyone be in an uproar then,k:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Either selective or spur line

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
I live here in La Mision, our water is being shut off and rerouted to Ensenada. It's happening every week.

Plenty of water here in the Ejido. Never been shut off. You guys might be on our pipa, hence the low pressure. The new main line goes to a water tower at the top of the mountain on the east side of the cuota. At some point it crosses over,(I think north of the dairy). That's why Mission Viejo is almost never affected while Medio Camino and points south are. The end of the line is just south of Puerto Nuevo. All points north are fed by water from TJ. When Rosarito has a big weekend everything south is rationed.

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 10:12 AM

"When Rosarito has a big weekend everything south is rationed. "

is a BIG weekend lots of flushes???:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 10:57 AM

does the electricty go off too???

if it does...someone needs to turn
the pump back on when it looses power...

maybe "they" forget...thus no water

Thank God for pilas

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
I am in Ensenada and do not have water an average of 2 days a week. Most often on Monday and Tuesday but can be 3 or more days a week.

Most have them. If they didn't, this place would be a war zone....

Just wait. :rolleyes:

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 11:03 AM

It's water rationing. By logic we will never understand, if the government doesn't mention it, the government isn't involved.
I'd be willing to bet that the hotels and the homes on Chapultepec Hill don't suffer the same inconvenience.

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Just wait. :rolleyes:

It's already happening. The fields in Maneadero are being irrigated with recycled sewer plant water. The water table feeding all the trucks/Pipas is dangerously low. Pila or not, the water has to come from somewhere and "somewhere" is drying up.
Big problems on the horizon.

Don't think so

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I'd be willing to bet that the hotels and the homes on Chapultepec Hill don't suffer the same inconvenience.

Cause they have huge pilas and can get water deliveries with a simple phone call... Money talks.

Three years ago, when they replaced the main water lines I asked why, with all the planned development, CESPT would'nt put in bigger pipe. "We don't have the flow rates", sez them.

"Uh-oh", sez me. :wow:

Are "the fields" protesting?

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
It's already happening. "The fields" in Maneadero are being irrigated with recycled sewer plant water.

BTW, what are they growing?

I might wanna modify my diet. ;D

Cypress - 8-12-2007 at 11:31 AM

Last time I checked, the desert isn't a good place to look for a lot of water.:)

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

BTW, what are they growing?

I might wanna modify my diet. ;D

Various crops but, the pretty stuff still goes to the states. Then, for WalMart and Costco, it comes back down here.

BajaNomad - 8-12-2007 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
...water has to come from somewhere and "somewhere" is drying up. Big problems on the horizon.
Until desal plants become the norm (if?/when?)... do these towable bladders make any sense for any areas along the peninsula?:

http://www.canflexinc.com/ocean_towable_bladders_en.cfm

http://www.flexiblecontainment.com/towable_sea_tanks.html

I'm curious how the #s would "pencil out" for potable water supplied in this manner.

--
Doug

comitan - 8-12-2007 at 12:04 PM

It looks to me to be a great idea, but to have a delsal Plant offshore where the pollution would be minimal, store the fresh water in the bladders tow to shore and pump to land facilities or even pump from 3-5 miles out.

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 12:07 PM

Sea Slugs..........

I'm not conversant at all in this field. I don't know what 171,000 gallons will do.
At any rate, I suppose the water would have to come from the states, or somewhere north and I'm sure that's a whole seperate can of worms to be opened.

Again, I show my lack of knowledge with a further question. Is Colorado River water still running into the Gulf or has that been controlled as well?

Baja&Back - 8-12-2007 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Is Colorado River water still running into the Gulf or has that been controlled as well?

We crossed the Colorado 30 miles south of the border at Coahuila, on the way to Golfo de Santa Clara. There was NO water in the riverbed, just mud & brine pools.

It's totally sucked dry!
:fire: :( :mad:

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 02:50 PM

let's do some math....

if i use 500 gallons a week
for 30 days i use 15,000 gallons

a town of 50,000 would use 750,000,000 gallons

if the blatter was 171,000 gallons

we would need 4386 blatters

seems like alot of "blatter space"

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back

It's totally sucked dry!
:fire: :( :mad:

Thanks B+B..........I suppose it's being diverted for irrigation.

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
let's do some math....

How much did you pay for that new truck?

woody with a view - 8-12-2007 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
let's do some math....

How much did you pay for that new truck?

good catch........

???

k1w1 - 8-12-2007 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
let's do some math....

a town of 50,000 would use 750,000,000 gallons

if the blatter was 171,000 gallons

we would need 4386 blatters

seems like alot of "blatter space"

get a solar shower (and math tuition) you're obviously part of the problem

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by k1w1]

comitan - 8-12-2007 at 04:11 PM

Bob

You certainly are not into water conservation, we use water for ourselves and many plants and trees, pool and only use 10,000 lts per month.

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 04:24 PM

Comitan..........

Seems like Bob is having a bad math day. If they're using 500 gal per week, as stated, I believe their usage is a bit less than yours per month. But, wait till they plant all the green stuff.

Guadalupe valley well

thebajarunner - 8-12-2007 at 04:59 PM

My kids bot a four acre piece a couple miles out of FZarco, dug a 30 foot deep well, hit good water,
out come the authorities,
capped the well,
like right now.
No permiso, No agua...

craiggers - 8-12-2007 at 05:10 PM

I'll bet if mexico went back to the "old rules" ie no foreign land ownership, the water situation would correct itself pretty quickly. Kick all the gringos out and everything will be fine. :P

math challenge

Roberto - 8-12-2007 at 05:38 PM

If you use 500 gallons/week, you are using 71.5/day, 2143/month.

You are multiplying your weekly use by 30?????

It must be the heat, or happy hour, or .... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Either way, you better sharpen your pencils, or I don't know what's going to happen to your commercial venture. Maybe let your wife do the math (or maybe she already is!).

And I'll bet you don't win many bets

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craiggers
I'll bet if mexico went back to the "old rules" ie no foreign land ownership, the water situation would correct itself pretty quickly. Kick all the gringos out and everything will be fine. :P

bajajudy - 8-12-2007 at 05:44 PM

The people taking the water here are Mexicans.

craiggers - 8-12-2007 at 06:06 PM

Dave wrote

"And I'll bet you don't win many bets"

Let's put it this way Dave. If the odds are against me, I won't place the bet in the first place.

Bajajudy wrote:

"The people taking the water here are Mexicans."

I didn't realize all or even most of those massive developements in Cabo were owned and occupied by Mexicans.

[Edited on 8-13-2007 by craiggers]

Let's see...

Mexray - 8-12-2007 at 06:45 PM

...with the oncoming Global Warming causing sea levels to rise...maybe we'd better get some really LARGE DeSal plants up and running to keep the oceans at bay!

We'd all be 'swimming' in pools of clean, pure, DeSal'd water!...Now let's see...we'd have to power those LARGE DeSal plants somehow...I know, let's use coal-fired electrical power plants...Oh, the emissions from the coal plants tend to cause global warming...what the hell, we'll have lots of fresh water anyway!

Have a nice day...:o

Don Alley - 8-12-2007 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craiggers
I didn't realize all or even most of those massive developements in Cabo were owned and occupied by Mexicans.
[Edited on 8-13-2007 by craiggers]

Studies have shown that for each unit in those developments, nearly 20 Mexican nationals moved to the Cabo area. So there are a lot more Mexicans than foreigners, even during peak occupancy.

The Cabo Mexicans aren't watering golf courses, but maybe, like Loreto, they are watering their streets.

But it is true in southern Baja that foreign money is driving the economy, population growth and increased demand for water.

oldhippie - 8-12-2007 at 08:30 PM

I watered the garden and washed the hot rod today. Never had a water outage here in TJ. Plenty of pressure. Sorry to hear about you guys downhill. :)

Let's hope for a real wet winter. If it's dry...............