BajaNomad

Type of construction

edinnopolo - 8-12-2007 at 12:38 PM

Anybody familiar with this type of construction ? No columns or rebar of any kind. About 5 inch large foam panels
with wire on both sides. Will the stucco hold this place up ?? Hope for them no heavy wind before the plaster is applied or the whole thing will blow over I'm afraid.
Comments anyone.:?::?:

IM002252 (Custom).JPG - 47kB

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 12:52 PM

ed..........

There was a thread here a while back that discussed foam houses. Put that...Foam Houses ...into the search window below.

comitan - 8-12-2007 at 12:53 PM

Its done a lot down here, it works.

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 01:45 PM

"Comments anyone"

well...

"...and he huffed and he puffed and blew the house down":biggrin:

comitan - 8-12-2007 at 01:50 PM

My comment is they're building million dollar homes with that construction, yes I know Bob that doesn't make it good construction.

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 01:53 PM

if it had columns it would be ok

no less strong than wood frame

but with out columns how does it hold up the roof????

comitan - 8-12-2007 at 01:57 PM

Bob it does work, they have a similar panel for the roof, they are strong have several here in Comitan one built by owner.

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2007 at 01:59 PM

wow...progress:o

that foam sure insultes too...

there is a couple here

touch the outside and fry...
touch the inside and freeze...

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 02:24 PM

I guess, if the wind blows it would be best to keep your doors and windows closed so it wouldn't explode like a baloon.

tuna stick - 8-12-2007 at 04:10 PM

It's called Tri-D panel construction. We are building our home in Loreto using it. The panels are tied to rebar anchored to the slab,which has a lot of rebar and mesh. Guy wires and braces hold the panels in place until the mud is applied. The steel in the panels is tied together with bullnose rings. They apply one and a half inches of concrete to each side of the panels. Way cooler than block. Supposed to withstand winds up to 200 mph. I don't see why anything would explode, if you left doors and windows open,nor why anyone would want to leave them open in a hurricane. If that's what you mean,Dennis,by "if the wind blows".

DENNIS - 8-12-2007 at 04:18 PM

Yeah TS........ That was my implication but, 1 1/2" of concrete each side? That's a lot. Way stronger than I had imagined.

longlegsinlapaz - 8-12-2007 at 06:36 PM

Tuna Stick...I leave ALL my windows & sliders open 1/4 - 1/2" during hurricanes....reduces pressure on the glass. I'd much rather mop up water than clean up & replace broken glass. I had damage from Marty, but no broken glass ever in my 8 years on the Bay of La Paz beach front. When you see your glass start to flex, open it 1/4 - 1/2", you'll see the difference!!

When they use those panels up here...

Mexray - 8-12-2007 at 06:56 PM

...they use gunite machines to 'blow' the concrete onto the panels...just like making a 'gunite' type concrete swimming pool...VERY strong construction when cured. In addition, the home when completed is ultra strong due to box-like, interlocking walls and angles tied together by the wire and concrete.

I don't know why this system isn't used more up here in the states...you can just about forget about dry rot and termites as well!

[Edited on 8-13-2007 by Mexray]

Bob and Susan - 8-13-2007 at 05:23 AM

"I don't know why this system isn't used more up here in the states..."

you forgotten ALREADY????
EARTHQUAKES!!!:lol:

Cypress - 8-13-2007 at 06:13 AM

Expect this material would allow a building to be completed quickly.:yes: Ought be fireproof. :biggrin:

capn.sharky - 8-13-2007 at 09:06 AM

I looked at this type material before deciding to build using block. This was three years ago. It is very strong when tied together with rebar, concrete and bullnose. However it was very expensive compared to the block. It is true that it is much cooler than block. Construction goes fast and so does the money. Also, at that time there wasn't much of it around Loreto. I build using the same materials and construction as the Mexicans---since they lived there for hundreds of years.

Sharrone - 8-14-2007 at 09:51 AM

We are building in Baja Sur and are considering this type of construction.
FYI-This site is very informative.

http://www.tridipanel.com/

bajadock - 8-14-2007 at 09:56 AM

Steel frame, if you can find an experienced crew, is another inexpensive alternative.

capitolkat - 8-14-2007 at 10:35 AM

check out
www.fanosa.com
The plant is in La Paz and one also in Cabo
Strong with rebar and concrete core, locally made, thus avoiding shipping and import costs, with stucco coatings has approximatley R-50 insulation factor.
Not promoting just comparing to Tri-d which is also a good product.

oldjack - 8-14-2007 at 01:44 PM

There is a young man(US fella) staying at Martin Verdugo's in Los Barriles who has formed a company to build the panel style structures... I didn't get his name but if you would make contact with Chico Martin(yea the bartender) he knows the contractor and can get you in touch.... the contractor has his own house in the area as an example... it might be useful to make this contact as you will most likely be going through Los Barriles to get to your site..... if you have trouble making the contact let me know and I'll try to help....

Cypress - 8-14-2007 at 02:05 PM

Pretty simple! Sandwich a sheet of styrofoam between two panels of wire and attach 'em. :) You're good to go.:):) Onsite assembly.:biggrin:

caseton - 3-13-2019 at 03:25 PM

check out
www.casadelamoldura.com

locally made, thus avoiding shipping and import costs, with stucco coatings has approximatley R-50 insulation factor.