BajaNomad

Buying Property

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 06:20 AM

Mr Gypsy and I have found that not everyone here in Canada thinks we are sane in getting property in Mexico. We have had numerous strange looks, and asking if it is a good thing. Has anyone else who has bought property had the same thing happen from their friends/relatives?

CaboRon - 8-27-2007 at 06:25 AM

It happens is ca too.

My friends make comments such as: "what will you do when the mx gov take your property.?"...

"What happens when ca buys baja california?"

And I am sooooo tired of explaining the trust process that i am thinking of just printing a little fact sheet explaining everything.

- CaboRon

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by CaboRon]

oldhippie - 8-27-2007 at 07:00 AM

I bought a house in the beautiful, peaceful city of Tijuana. I live here full time and have no other residence. Everyone, including most Bajanomads think I'm crazy. I think it's great, both living in TJ and having everyone think I'm crazy. :D

Al G - 8-27-2007 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
It happens is ca too.

My friends make comments such as: "what will you do when the mx gov take your property.?"...

"What happens when ca buys baja california?"

And I am sooooo tired of explaining the trust process that i am thinking of just printing a little fact sheet explaining everything.

- CaboRon

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by CaboRon]

Hey Ron, Don't explain anything at alll. Maybe it will slow down the hords...not:lol:

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 07:27 AM

I agree with trying to explain the trust thing, people here just don't get it. I just smile now and say, "we've Pi$$ed away more money in worse places":spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

CaboRon - 8-27-2007 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
I agree with trying to explain the trust thing, people here just don't get it. I just smile now and say, "we've Pi$$ed away more money in worse places":spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pescador - 8-27-2007 at 07:37 AM

Since your friends are not paying your bills or managing your bank account it almost becomes irrelevant what they think. But if you are trying to get their approval so that you feel better about your decisions then you are going to be really frustrated. Thank goodness a lot of people are afraid of buying property in Mexico since it is a natural selection process and leaves the property for those of us who really want to be there.
It is a self correcting process for the most part. The reasons to come are varied and wide spread but when the balance of positives and negatives become really skewed or change, then people sell out and do not come back. Some come for the sun and relaxed atmoshpere but find that the summers are too hot, and the relaxed atmoshpere is a total frustration when one tries to wade through the beauracracy to get something done. I came because of the fishing and watch with alarm at how quickly Mexico is trying to destroy what little is left. At some point they probably will completely overexploit the fishery and balance and I will choose at some point of tolerance to move on.
Finally, I labor under no misinformation that Mexico is a third world country and I could become a victim of something like government reappropriation of my property. Why that even happens in parts of Canada and the United States with things like imminent domain, so knowing that, I would never invest more than I can walk away from without hurting myself. My parents, who had a house in the mainland had drilled that into my head from the very beginning. The other little bit of wisdom they passed on was the commandment of: " Thou Shalt Not Fool Thyself", which seems really appropriate for real estate consideration or purchase.

Russ - 8-27-2007 at 07:39 AM

You could say, " Of course we're crazy, everyone down there is crazy. We're just one big happy loony bin." You may also warn them it is highly contagious.

capitolkat - 8-27-2007 at 07:46 AM

Yeah-- they all think it's dicey but in the next breath say when will the house be finished, and when can we come for a visit?

Lee - 8-27-2007 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
I bought a house in the beautiful, peaceful city of Tijuana....... Everyone, including most Bajanomads think I'm crazy. I think it's great, both living in TJ and having everyone think I'm crazy. :D

Most people don't know the true or beautiful side of TJ. Nice to not be discovered.

If the Don loves TJ, then I love TJ.

Smooth move. :cool:

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Since your friends are not paying your bills or managing your bank account it almost becomes irrelevant what they think. But if you are trying to get their approval so that you feel better about your decisions then you are going to be really frustrated. Thank goodness a lot of people are afraid of buying property in Mexico since it is a natural selection process and leaves the property for those of us who really want to be there.
It is a self correcting process for the most part. The reasons to come are varied and wide spread but when the balance of positives and negatives become really skewed or change, then people sell out and do not come back. Some come for the sun and relaxed atmoshpere but find that the summers are too hot, and the relaxed atmoshpere is a total frustration when one tries to wade through the beauracracy to get something done. I came because of the fishing and watch with alarm at how quickly Mexico is trying to destroy what little is left. At some point they probably will completely overexploit the fishery and balance and I will choose at some point of tolerance to move on.
Finally, I labor under no misinformation that Mexico is a third world country and I could become a victim of something like government reappropriation of my property. Why that even happens in parts of Canada and the United States with things like imminent domain, so knowing that, I would never invest more than I can walk away from without hurting myself. My parents, who had a house in the mainland had drilled that into my head from the very beginning. The other little bit of wisdom they passed on was the commandment of: " Thou Shalt Not Fool Thyself", which seems really appropriate for real estate consideration or purchase.

It's not that I'm looking for approval, it is just that I don't see how it is any of there business. Aren't friends and family suppose to support you?

bajadock - 8-27-2007 at 08:33 AM

xenˇoˇphobe
n. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

xen'oˇpho'biˇa n., xen'oˇpho'bic adj.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by bajadock]

CaboRon - 8-27-2007 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
Yeah-- they all think it's dicey but in the next breath say when will the house be finished, and when can we come for a visit?

Curious how that comes around isn't it ?.

Gypsy

DianaT - 8-27-2007 at 08:51 AM

Hey, you really can't expect friends and family to support you in this---not unless it is something in their realm of thinking.

You should have heard some of our family and friends when we told them we were moving to Honduras. We were leaving very well paying jobs to earn $500.00 a month between the two of us----they just didn't understand!

You would also be surprised at how many people in the San Diego Area have never been south of the border and really think anyone is crazy for buying land there. Of course they are the same ones who are sure that the minute you cross that border you will kidnapped, robbed and murdered.

Unfortunately, whenever there is a "bad" story it spreads fast----and ALL of the story is seldom told.

Have fun with the naysayers---that is what we do anymore.

We love telling them that we have wired money to almost complete strangers 600 miles south of the border, and we have deposited more money in relative's US accounts for our agent for the bank trust in La Paz--who we have never met. Say it with a real carefree attitude, sound real irresponsible. Watch them go REAL crazy. We never doubted it would work out fine, and it did.

Ok, sounds kind of cruel, but hey, it is easier than listening to ALL the negatives they want to tell you---once they think you are just irresponsible, slightly crazy, and in our case, maybe senile, they just shake their heads and go away.

You are doing this for you and we are really excited for you. It is an adventure----a good adventure.

Have fun
Diane and John

backninedan - 8-27-2007 at 09:00 AM

I had a friend ask "How do you know they are not feeding you dog meat at those taco stands?" I told him you have to know the right stand to get the dog kind. Haven't heard from him in ages.

Just keep the "only crazy people come here" going. Never know, it may slow things a little.

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 09:24 AM

People ask us about the dog meat all the time, We have just started saying that it is better than the cat taco's!

Skeet/Loreto - 8-27-2007 at 09:31 AM

There are some who are "Adventeurs"! There are many who are Not!

Even today in the Texas Panhandle, people will ask me "Were you Afraid to buy Property and live there?
They are going to have a Revolution!
They will throw you in Jail.
They will take your Property.

Just do your ownthing and let the "Never do Wells" live in their own little Worlds and try to keep them your Friends.

Some will always be getting out of the Box, some will always stay in the Box.

Skeet/Loreto

What? Are you nuts?

BMG - 8-27-2007 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Mr Gypsy and I have found that not everyone here in Canada thinks we are sane in getting property in Mexico. We have had numerous strange looks, and asking if it is a good thing. Has anyone else who has bought property had the same thing happen from their friends/relatives?

You need to re-think this immediately! Check today to make sure your 9-5 jobs are still secure. When you do have enough to finally retire, a nice old folks home with a rocking chair is fine. You can re-live all those great memories about what you almost did. Places you were going to see. People you might have met.

lifesucks.jpg - 16kB

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 12:02 PM

Unfortunately the 9-5 job is still here:barf:, I totaly agree with what you are saying BMG, I don't understand these people who keep all their money for retirement, then retire and don't use it? I say life is for living now, go for it!

SDRonni - 8-27-2007 at 12:18 PM

We have had friends and family say we're crazy, too, for buying in Baja. At times, we've even doubted ourselves because of all the negativity on this board regarding Rosarito Beach. Fortunately, our property is north of town so that we won't even have to go there if we choose not to. Our biggest hope and prayer now is that the project makes it through to completion so that we can enjoy it a while before something happens to one of us! The completion dates keep getting pushed farther and farther out.....but we are hopeful that everything will turn out okay in the end and we will be toasting some beautiful Baja sunsets from our balcony overlooking the Pacific!

toneart - 8-27-2007 at 12:30 PM

All you Nomads are the ones who drove me crazy. Gee, that didn't feel right.I thought I could transfer the blame.

Hmmmm. Let's try this: All my relatives drove me crazy and so I had to escape to Baja and buy property! Well, that's a little closer to the truth, but nope, that didn't work either.

I am crazy! There, that is really liberating.

Do I really own a piece of Baja, or does Baja own a piece of me?

Nomads who buy property in Mexico are crazy! It sure feels good when I'm in Baja with like kind. We loonies get to play together. Let the games continue..........

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

DENNIS - 8-27-2007 at 12:45 PM

SDRonni.........

Everything will be alright with your project. It's the Mexican wheel of progress that takes some getting used to. Some never learn this.
You're right. Your new place is in a good part of town. Hang in there. The sunsets from your balcony will make it all worth while.

oldhippie - 8-27-2007 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
I agree.If you are willing to take a chance of possibly losing your investment,buy.If not don't.Bought my place 15 years ago and I still think the same way.

Whistler,

Please explain how you would lose your investment, assuming you have a fideicomiso in place and you pay the property taxes. What you are saying is old advice derived from leasing land and spending your money to improve someone else's property. That's not an investment, that's simply spending money. When the lease is up, it's up to the owner whether or not the lease is renewed. I don't think that advice applies to buying property via a bank trust.

Diver - 8-27-2007 at 01:28 PM

Some of our friends think we must have more money than they thought to be able to "gamble" so much in Baja. These are the ones that think we're crazy.
Others think we are pretty shrewd and are jealous.

CRAZY ?? Who's CRAZY ??
Our new Mexican corp is called "Los Gringos Cosmicos" :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, I'm crazy...

Juan del Rio - 8-27-2007 at 02:31 PM

...but the Margaritas caused it.

Gosh, when I bought in town, everyone told me I was crazy. When I bought outside of town, everyone told me I was crazy and it's too far out. Well, I'll accept the fact that I'm crazy, and just go back to my Margarita. The hell with all of "them"...I'll just enjoy the view from my front yard without 'em for sure.

P1060284X.JPG - 33kB

Osprey - 8-27-2007 at 02:43 PM

Plum loco in mi zona rustica

Front yard.jpg - 33kB

Still crazy after all these years

The Gull - 8-27-2007 at 03:23 PM

Over 20 years ago, I had the same explaining to do as I acquired more and more Baja beach property.

Funny, those naysayers are still living in densely-populated, traffic-filled concrete jungles with people who don't speak their language.

Funny, as was written earlier, none of them seem all that displeased when I invite them down for a weekend. You see, they all need to keep working to afford their lifestyle in the US and all they can do is get away for the weekend.

The greater fool theory: no matter what I spend on Baja property there will be a greater fool stumble along and be willing to offer me much more than a spent to acquire it.

The theory has been working like a fine Swiss watch for two decades for me.

Envy and ignorance seem to be running mates in the US and Canada.

Cat and dog tacos? Kidnapping? Sure enough, spread the rumor all that is happening and a few less ignorants will show up and that will be better for Baja.

Pescador - 8-27-2007 at 03:35 PM

When we moved to a small town south of Santa Rosalia, everyone said to mywife that she needed to be really careful because of the raping and pillaging. I could not understand why she got dressed up every afternoon at 3:00 pm, but finally figured out that was when the R & P was scheduled. Never did happen:lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's your movie gypsys

tortuga - 8-27-2007 at 08:41 PM

God bless your baja experience. Totuga and Bead girl respect your decision:yes:

MEXICO November2006 087.JPG - 38kB

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 10:51 PM

Mr. Gypsy here...
I've now resorted to telling people I've wasted way more money in worst places...such as on my ex wife...and the view wasnt near as good:biggrin:

toneart - 8-27-2007 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Mr. Gypsy here...
I've now resorted to telling people I've wasted way more money in worst places...such as on my ex wife...and the view wasnt near as good:biggrin:

Ooooooooo:o It's going to be a cold night in Canada tonight.:rolleyes:

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 11:18 PM

lol....hey...Miss's Gypsy even laughed at that one:saint:

jimgrms - 8-28-2007 at 07:42 AM

GYpsys Go for it more power to you, enjoy it while your young ,
JIm

Bajagypsy - 8-28-2007 at 07:51 AM

Mrs Gypsy here, I'm not the ex-wife!!!!:lol:

Pstreet1 - 8-30-2007 at 09:22 AM

SDRonni, long time no hear from. Next time you are down checking progress, let us know. We're here until Thanksgiving we think.

Pat

Bob and Susan - 8-30-2007 at 12:33 PM

we're crazy...but...we're keeping other crazys close:lol:

Copy of P1020534.JPG - 46kB

toneart - 8-30-2007 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Mrs Gypsy here, I'm not the ex-wife!!!!:lol:

Oh good!... ya never know. I'm sure the view will be spectacular wherever you two land.;)

shari - 8-30-2007 at 03:44 PM

Yup, my family thought I was plum loca but when my hermano came down to see us, he bought a lot the next day!!

que cobran por terreno es loco

tortuga - 8-30-2007 at 04:09 PM

Mrs. Turtle and I were looking at a web sight for a Los Barriles real estate company. What is crazy is what land is selling for now . I guess, We're fortunate we bought when we did ! Wow!:?:

u2u

gibson - 8-31-2007 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tortuga
Mrs. Turtle and I were looking at a web sight for a Los Barriles real estate company. What is crazy is what land is selling for now . I guess, We're fortunate we bought when we did ! Wow!:?:

Tortuga, pls check ur U2U.
salut

Juan and Osprey

Monia - 9-1-2007 at 08:55 AM

Nice pictures. Where is that? Are you allowed to say??

Osprey - 9-1-2007 at 09:01 AM

I'm allowed. It's the beach in front of my little Mexican hogar in La Ribera. I'm taking lots of photos of it now cause it's all been sold to the dreaded land pimps and will soon become something else. Don't know what>hotel (or not) marina (or not) golf course (or not). Many things down here start out as one thing, end up as another. Same in the states only up there it is more modern - escalators become stairs for example.