BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Buying Property
Yes, my friends/family think I'm crazy --- 12 (29.27%)
No, everyone thinks its a good idea --- 8 (19.51%)
Of course I'm crazy, this confirmed it for everyon!!!!! --- 21 (51.22%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Buying Property
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 06:20 AM
Buying Property

Mr Gypsy and I have found that not everyone here in Canada thinks we are sane in getting property in Mexico. We have had numerous strange looks, and asking if it is a good thing. Has anyone else who has bought property had the same thing happen from their friends/relatives?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 06:25 AM

It happens is ca too.

My friends make comments such as: "what will you do when the mx gov take your property.?"...

"What happens when ca buys baja california?"

And I am sooooo tired of explaining the trust process that i am thinking of just printing a little fact sheet explaining everything.

- CaboRon

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by CaboRon]

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:00 AM

I bought a house in the beautiful, peaceful city of Tijuana. I live here full time and have no other residence. Everyone, including most Bajanomads think I'm crazy. I think it's great, both living in TJ and having everyone think I'm crazy. :D
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
It happens is ca too.

My friends make comments such as: "what will you do when the mx gov take your property.?"...

"What happens when ca buys baja california?"

And I am sooooo tired of explaining the trust process that i am thinking of just printing a little fact sheet explaining everything.

- CaboRon

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by CaboRon]

Hey Ron, Don't explain anything at alll. Maybe it will slow down the hords...not:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:27 AM

I agree with trying to explain the trust thing, people here just don't get it. I just smile now and say, "we've Pi$$ed away more money in worse places":spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
I agree with trying to explain the trust thing, people here just don't get it. I just smile now and say, "we've Pi$$ed away more money in worse places":spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:37 AM

Since your friends are not paying your bills or managing your bank account it almost becomes irrelevant what they think. But if you are trying to get their approval so that you feel better about your decisions then you are going to be really frustrated. Thank goodness a lot of people are afraid of buying property in Mexico since it is a natural selection process and leaves the property for those of us who really want to be there.
It is a self correcting process for the most part. The reasons to come are varied and wide spread but when the balance of positives and negatives become really skewed or change, then people sell out and do not come back. Some come for the sun and relaxed atmoshpere but find that the summers are too hot, and the relaxed atmoshpere is a total frustration when one tries to wade through the beauracracy to get something done. I came because of the fishing and watch with alarm at how quickly Mexico is trying to destroy what little is left. At some point they probably will completely overexploit the fishery and balance and I will choose at some point of tolerance to move on.
Finally, I labor under no misinformation that Mexico is a third world country and I could become a victim of something like government reappropriation of my property. Why that even happens in parts of Canada and the United States with things like imminent domain, so knowing that, I would never invest more than I can walk away from without hurting myself. My parents, who had a house in the mainland had drilled that into my head from the very beginning. The other little bit of wisdom they passed on was the commandment of: " Thou Shalt Not Fool Thyself", which seems really appropriate for real estate consideration or purchase.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:39 AM

You could say, " Of course we're crazy, everyone down there is crazy. We're just one big happy loony bin." You may also warn them it is highly contagious.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:46 AM

Yeah-- they all think it's dicey but in the next breath say when will the house be finished, and when can we come for a visit?

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
I bought a house in the beautiful, peaceful city of Tijuana....... Everyone, including most Bajanomads think I'm crazy. I think it's great, both living in TJ and having everyone think I'm crazy. :D

Most people don't know the true or beautiful side of TJ. Nice to not be discovered.

If the Don loves TJ, then I love TJ.

Smooth move. :cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Since your friends are not paying your bills or managing your bank account it almost becomes irrelevant what they think. But if you are trying to get their approval so that you feel better about your decisions then you are going to be really frustrated. Thank goodness a lot of people are afraid of buying property in Mexico since it is a natural selection process and leaves the property for those of us who really want to be there.
It is a self correcting process for the most part. The reasons to come are varied and wide spread but when the balance of positives and negatives become really skewed or change, then people sell out and do not come back. Some come for the sun and relaxed atmoshpere but find that the summers are too hot, and the relaxed atmoshpere is a total frustration when one tries to wade through the beauracracy to get something done. I came because of the fishing and watch with alarm at how quickly Mexico is trying to destroy what little is left. At some point they probably will completely overexploit the fishery and balance and I will choose at some point of tolerance to move on.
Finally, I labor under no misinformation that Mexico is a third world country and I could become a victim of something like government reappropriation of my property. Why that even happens in parts of Canada and the United States with things like imminent domain, so knowing that, I would never invest more than I can walk away from without hurting myself. My parents, who had a house in the mainland had drilled that into my head from the very beginning. The other little bit of wisdom they passed on was the commandment of: " Thou Shalt Not Fool Thyself", which seems really appropriate for real estate consideration or purchase.

It's not that I'm looking for approval, it is just that I don't see how it is any of there business. Aren't friends and family suppose to support you?
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:33 AM

xen·o·phobe
n. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

xen'o·pho'bi·a n., xen'o·pho'bic adj.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by bajadock]

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
Yeah-- they all think it's dicey but in the next breath say when will the house be finished, and when can we come for a visit?

Curious how that comes around isn't it ?.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:51 AM
Gypsy

Hey, you really can't expect friends and family to support you in this---not unless it is something in their realm of thinking.

You should have heard some of our family and friends when we told them we were moving to Honduras. We were leaving very well paying jobs to earn $500.00 a month between the two of us----they just didn't understand!

You would also be surprised at how many people in the San Diego Area have never been south of the border and really think anyone is crazy for buying land there. Of course they are the same ones who are sure that the minute you cross that border you will kidnapped, robbed and murdered.

Unfortunately, whenever there is a "bad" story it spreads fast----and ALL of the story is seldom told.

Have fun with the naysayers---that is what we do anymore.

We love telling them that we have wired money to almost complete strangers 600 miles south of the border, and we have deposited more money in relative's US accounts for our agent for the bank trust in La Paz--who we have never met. Say it with a real carefree attitude, sound real irresponsible. Watch them go REAL crazy. We never doubted it would work out fine, and it did.

Ok, sounds kind of cruel, but hey, it is easier than listening to ALL the negatives they want to tell you---once they think you are just irresponsible, slightly crazy, and in our case, maybe senile, they just shake their heads and go away.

You are doing this for you and we are really excited for you. It is an adventure----a good adventure.

Have fun
Diane and John

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:00 AM

I had a friend ask "How do you know they are not feeding you dog meat at those taco stands?" I told him you have to know the right stand to get the dog kind. Haven't heard from him in ages.

Just keep the "only crazy people come here" going. Never know, it may slow things a little.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:24 AM

People ask us about the dog meat all the time, We have just started saying that it is better than the cat taco's!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:31 AM

There are some who are "Adventeurs"! There are many who are Not!

Even today in the Texas Panhandle, people will ask me "Were you Afraid to buy Property and live there?
They are going to have a Revolution!
They will throw you in Jail.
They will take your Property.

Just do your ownthing and let the "Never do Wells" live in their own little Worlds and try to keep them your Friends.

Some will always be getting out of the Box, some will always stay in the Box.

Skeet/Loreto
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:53 AM
What? Are you nuts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Mr Gypsy and I have found that not everyone here in Canada thinks we are sane in getting property in Mexico. We have had numerous strange looks, and asking if it is a good thing. Has anyone else who has bought property had the same thing happen from their friends/relatives?

You need to re-think this immediately! Check today to make sure your 9-5 jobs are still secure. When you do have enough to finally retire, a nice old folks home with a rocking chair is fine. You can re-live all those great memories about what you almost did. Places you were going to see. People you might have met.

lifesucks.jpg - 16kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:02 PM

Unfortunately the 9-5 job is still here:barf:, I totaly agree with what you are saying BMG, I don't understand these people who keep all their money for retirement, then retire and don't use it? I say life is for living now, go for it!
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 12:18 PM

We have had friends and family say we're crazy, too, for buying in Baja. At times, we've even doubted ourselves because of all the negativity on this board regarding Rosarito Beach. Fortunately, our property is north of town so that we won't even have to go there if we choose not to. Our biggest hope and prayer now is that the project makes it through to completion so that we can enjoy it a while before something happens to one of us! The completion dates keep getting pushed farther and farther out.....but we are hopeful that everything will turn out okay in the end and we will be toasting some beautiful Baja sunsets from our balcony overlooking the Pacific!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.