BajaNomad

How to Get HUGE Retiree Benefits in Mexico

oldhippie - 9-15-2007 at 08:47 AM

Thought I would pass this along.

http://tinyurl.com/2owx6u

bajabound2005 - 9-15-2007 at 09:02 AM

lots about that on this thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25790#pid2503...

oldhippie - 9-15-2007 at 12:21 PM

Larry,

Good thinking, thanks for pointing that out. I'll skip the discounts.

Why did you put an "if" at the beginning of the last sentence?

Iflyfish - 9-15-2007 at 01:10 PM

A safety net is a safety net. If you need it I hope you will use it and not let your pride or the attitudes or others get in the way.

Iflyfish

Al G - 9-15-2007 at 01:25 PM

If and when I ever need it...I hope I have done enough for the people of Baja to allow my pride not to get in the way...

DENNIS - 9-15-2007 at 01:34 PM

I like the "Huge" part. Didn't we go through this a while back?
Give me an alert when they drop the price of Pacifico for old-timers.

This brings back a recollection of a program in the US, maybe still happening, that would give big blocks of cheese to older folks who would benefit from some assistance. These bricks of dairy product were like a salt-lick that is given to cattle. Probably meant to nourish and toughen up those arteries for strength in advanced age. Oh, well.....

Al G - 9-15-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
If and when I ever need it...I hope I have done enough for the people of Baja to allow my pride not to get in the way...

I thought better to quote then edit...
The way I see it, this concept of taking "something for nothing" is the very thing wrong with the people of the US today...

Al G - 9-15-2007 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I like the "Huge" part. Didn't we go through this a while back?
Give me an alert when they drop the price of Pacifico for old-timers.

This brings back a recollection of a program in the US, maybe still happening, that would give big blocks of cheese to older folks who would benefit from some assistance. These bricks of dairy product were like a salt-lick that is given to cattle. Probably meant to nourish and toughen up those arteries for strength in advanced age. Oh, well.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Democratic oh...ah...conservitive subsidies to diary industry...and the something for nothing liberals to reduce the social security rolls...

Hook - 9-15-2007 at 05:03 PM

Are legal immigrants to the US eligible for senior benefits in the US of A?

Not every gringo moving to Mexico is well off.

It may be the biggest irony of the whole immigration issue that Mexicans hoping to scratch out a living are trying to get into the US while Americans scratching out a retirement are trying to make it in Mexico.

Mexico aint the bargain it used to be..........

Hook - 9-15-2007 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Not every gringo moving to Mexico is well off.

That's pretty relative. Most are well-enough off that they can live a comfortable life (by Mexican standards) WITHOUT WORKING. :wow:

--Larry

Dont see how that matters. Is an elder Mexican national being denied these discounts by a gringo using them?

Are you worried about the coffers of the Mexican government? I'd say there's other draws on their treasury to worry about.

I'm kinda pleased that there is at least one area of something resembling "equal protection" in Mexico, instead of just up here.

DENNIS - 9-15-2007 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I'm kinda pleased that there is at least one area of something resembling "equal protection" in Mexico, instead of just up here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The last time we beat this subject to a pulp, I was surprised to learn that foreigners qualified for this program.

Baja&Back - 9-15-2007 at 09:00 PM

They have the same kind of program in Panama for locals and expat seniors. The government uses it as an inducement for foreigners to retire in Panama.

Available in other countries, I believe.

CaboRon - 9-16-2007 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
A safety net is a safety net. If you need it I hope you will use it and not let your pride or the attitudes or others get in the way.

Iflyfish

Thankyou

comitan - 9-16-2007 at 08:39 AM

If you were to use this card in La Paz the list would be very small, but then you can always ask for a discount and the majority of businesses in La Paz will give you a discount, YOU HAVE TO ASK!

pappy - 9-16-2007 at 10:55 AM

read that it is a discount, not a freebee, like so many illegal immigrants get here in the good ol' USA....

edinnopolo - 9-16-2007 at 11:17 AM

How about looking at it as a small reward for making it past 65:P:P:tumble::tumble:

DENNIS - 9-16-2007 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edinnopolo
How about looking at it as a small reward for making it past 65:P:P:tumble::tumble:

Making it there is a big reward in itself.:lol:

comitan - 9-16-2007 at 01:12 PM

I want my Green Stamps, rolls & rolls.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

DENNIS - 9-16-2007 at 01:19 PM

You mean, you won't even paste them into a book?
Oh, God........Do I remember those things.

What was the other one....Blue Chip?

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by DENNIS]

Hook - 9-16-2007 at 02:27 PM

It's actually rather ironic that people past 55 or so get discounts in THIS country as well. Statistically, I believe that the richest segment of the population is people over 55. Where's the fairness in that?

Course I aint complaining, sitting here at 54. :biggrin:

Bajafun777 - 9-16-2007 at 10:26 PM

Well, each government has benefits that go to seniors as do a number of business offerings. If an non-citizen gets sick or ill in the U.S. all medical facilities have to give them care and eat the costs, as every is entitled to medical care in emergencies. In the U.S. if someone 65 gets immigrated and has never paid into the Social Security, they will get to draw $327 dollars which they never paid into. Now, many would take exception to this but the truth be known these people are in the U.S. and still need assistance to live and our Constitution allows them to get what many call freebees. Our own Social Security will not pay in Mexico except on very rare and documented emergency medical care issues for U.S. retiress. It is not right to exclude Mexico, as if you have Social Security Benefits they should apply anywhere, and I mean anywhere. Mexico has some medical insurance foreigners can also pay for that covers their medical issues while in Mexico. Now, of course Mexico's medical and benefits for foreigns is not as good as the U.S. but the economic levels are not the same either. Later-------- bajafun777

rpleger - 9-16-2007 at 11:27 PM

These are not government subsidies, all the government does is verify your age on the senior citizen card.
These are all private companies trying to get the senior business. Like senior discount rates to go to a movie.
This is not a government social program, just some discounts.
What is the problem?

CaboRon - 9-17-2007 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
These are not government subsidies, all the government does is verify your age on the senior citizen card.
These are all private companies trying to get the senior business. Like senior discount rates to go to a movie.
This is not a government social program, just some discounts.
What is the problem?

I will be signing up as soon as possible.

-CaboRon

Hook - 9-17-2007 at 08:38 AM

Bajafun777, are you saying that if a US citizen who has paid into S.S. and is living in Mexico full-time, that SSA refuses to pay them? You cant just have your check direct-deposited into your bank account and draw it from ATMs or transer it to a mexican bank?

How do they prevent this?

comitan - 9-17-2007 at 08:51 AM

Hook

He's referring to Medical, if you couldn't your SS retirement here probably 85% of us wouldn't be here.

Gnome-ad - 9-17-2007 at 11:38 AM

This and the other referenced thread are very interesting and informative. Though I would probably not present the card for discounts on everyday items (at this point in my life – maybe later), it does interest me for medical purposes. Having just coughed up a goodly portion of our semi-retirement nest egg for my recent week in the hospital complete with one “procedure” and one surgery (no discounts given whatsoever) in the U.S. (I’m not old enough for Medicare yet) I will not scoff at a discount or even free medical care in an emergency. I imagine we can afford medical insurance here, and will probably get it; but being relatively healthy and more inclined to use “alternative” care (i.e. very old methods or those not involving pharmaceuticals) in maintaining our health, “traditional” health insurance was not of much use to us in the USA. We could have gotten a policy that covered the “alternatives” as well, but would only have the choice of those providers of care who had signed on to the program and would have ended up paying even more. We still saved by not having insurance for over twenty years, even with the slice taken out of our egg.

I am glad that Mexico is attempting to take care of its seniors and those seniors who live here for whatever reasons. The fact that they must have paperwork (FM2s or FM3s) does leave out those undocumented people living here – and there are more than one might think. There are undocumented farm laborers (! – just like in the USA) who cannot get back to their country of origin (and perhaps don’t want to for political reasons). These poor folk who are practically prisoners in the farm labor camps will not benefit from these programs at all it seems.

Selective participation might be the way to go for us retired and semi-retired here.

Someone should tell the teachers here who strike because their retirement is now 52 or something about retirement age in the USA which climbs yearly. I imagine my children will have to work until they are 80 to get any retirement benefits. Sorry, I know I’ve tangled this thread … just my thoughts for the morning.

CaboRon - 9-17-2007 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Hook

He's referring to Medical, if you couldn't your SS retirement here probably 85% of us wouldn't be here.

Hola Comitan,

What you cannot receive outside of the US is the Social Security Disability Insurance payments .... or as you have stated the Mecical component......
Unless you have direct deposit and live out of the US , then you are at least technically breaking the law.

- CaboRon

z

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by CaboRon]

DENNIS - 9-17-2007 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

What you cannot receive outside of the US is the Social Security Disability Insurance payments .... or as you have stated the Mecical component......

Sorry Ron but, incorrect. What you can't get outside of the US is SSI. Supplimental Security Income. It's welfare for those who havn't developed a social security fund. They frown on a person getting a great tan on foreign shores while being subsidised with tax dollars.

comitan - 9-17-2007 at 06:40 PM

Dennis

You are right because I know someone that was getting it here and when he turned 62 they changed it to regular SS retirement, not happy lost $100 per. Mo.

DENNIS - 9-17-2007 at 06:45 PM

I did it for ten years but didn't get switched over till 65+. Didn't gain or lose.

DENNIS - 9-17-2007 at 06:56 PM

By the way......The $327 Bajafun referred to would be SSI and it's a lot more than that. Depending on the State in which one lives, the cost of living varies as does the SSI payment. California is one of the highest and last I heard, the payment was $750 +-. The US is a welfare state.

Hook - 9-17-2007 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS The US is a welfare state.

Well, if you think WE are, then the whole world must be...............well, except for maybe sub-Saharan Africa.

I told FDR we never should have gone off the gold standard.:lol:

CaboRon - 9-18-2007 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

Sorry Ron but, incorrect. What you can't get outside of the US is SSI. Supplimental Security Income. It's welfare for those who havn't developed a social security fund. They frown on a person getting a great tan on foreign shores while being subsidised with tax dollars.

That's as it should be... didn't know about ssi. Do you mean i didn't have to work all my life to get my social security ?

DENNIS - 9-18-2007 at 05:44 PM

No SSI for you.
You have to be pretty bad off to qualify. Poverty stricken might describe it. Few to no assets. Old car at best. Of course, the facade can be designed. That's the problem with assistance.