BajaNomad

Cuota warnings

Keri - 9-16-2007 at 05:22 PM

This is the second email I have received on this subject so I am passing this on to you.k

This morning, Friday August 24, 2007, at 5:20AM, my husband (Steven B.
>Steele) was driving on the Toll Road towards San Diego from Rosarito in our
>Lincoln Navigator to teach his motorcycle classes; and a car, possibly a
>Chevy Caprice or a Ford Crown Victoria (it was a big sedan, with police
>lights, red and blue, mounted on the rear-view mirror, with flashing
>headlights---as it was dark, he couldn't tell what color the vehicle was)
>followed him and stopped him at San Marino.
>
> Since my husband was driving a little over the speed limit, he thought
>it was the Federal Police that was going to give him a citation. As soon
>as he stopped, another car, silver-colored (this one was illuminated by the
>lights from our Navigator), similar to a Dodge Neon, pulled up in front of
>the Navigator impeding his escape.
>
> Two men who were riding in the small car, not in uniform, shoved a gun
>at my husband's face (32 caliber, semi-automatic), at the same time that
>the individuals in the vehicle behind ours got out of their car. There
>were about 4 or 5 of them in that vehicle and they were not uniformed
>either. He saw 3 with guns but doesn't know if the other men (a total of
>7) were armed or not.
>
> They dragged my husband out of the Navigator, hit him, threw him in
>the back seat on the floor while they were hitting him in the back, as two
>men were holding his wrists and another man was going through his pockets,
>taking also his watch and two rings, including his wedding band.
>
> He had $450US and about $950Pesos, his American Passport, his reading
>glasses which he had hanging from his t-shirt, his wallet with the driver's
>license, credit cards, etc., the two cell phones, one a Cingular and the
>other one a Nextel radio.
>
> All of this was happening while one of the men started driving the
>Navigator, still going North. They stopped about 5 miles later, on the
>shoulder right past the Real del Mar exit, where they threw him out of the
>car violently without giving him a chance to get his feet out from under
>him, but he was able to hold on to the security rail and pushed himself to
>the other side of the rail, landing in a ditch; this avoided them running
>him over with the back tires of our Navigator.
>
> From there he saw them take off in the Navigator and all its contents:
>his FM3, his teaching backpack with all the materials that he uses to teach
>motorcycle instruction, including a couple of high-amount checks in US
>;Dollars that he was going to deposit in San Diego, his motorcycle helmet,
>gloves and boots.
>
> Then my husband walked, as well as he could muster, up the hill to the
>Marriott where he called me and the Police Departments in Rosarito as well
>as in Tijuana, giving them the report. They told him that a patrol car
>from Tijuana would go to the Marriott to talk to him.
>
> 45 minutes later my husband called the Tijuana Police back and they
>informed him that no patrol car was going to the Marriott and that he would
>have to report the carjacking to the Ministerio Público. Since he was
>stopped in Rosarito proper, but dumped in Tijuana proper, it's going to
>have to be reported to both municipalities.
>
> As soon as my husband called me I contacted dear friends of ours who
>live at Real del Mar and he went to keep him company and drove him home.
>
> I called Quálitas, our car insurance company, and they were very
>helpful. They immediately sent an adjustor to our home and he left us a
>list of the documentation required to report the carjacking to all the
>entities, giving us directions on how to get there. We are very thankful
>to Quálitas por their quick response and to their adjustor, Mr. Raúl Josué
>Lima Castillo for his excellent assistance at this horrendous occasion.
>
> We are now mired in calling insurance companies, banks, cell phone
>companies, etc. to report the theft, and will start the long road to all
>the governmental offices: the Ministerio Público, Municipal Police, Fiscal
>Police, Federal Police, and California Highway Patrol for we had California
>plates.
>
> When I called our Rosarito bank, I was informed that last week the
>same thing happened to other clients of theirs, around 2AM on the free road
>to Tijuana.
>
> My husband and I live and work in Rosarito. We are real estate agents
>with a local agency. The impact that this news is going to have on our
>clientele is going to be extremely detrimental for our city's tourism. So
>we will play it down as much as we can with our prospects.
>
> I've had the pleasure of meeting our new Municipal President, Mr. Hugo
>Torres, and I would like to notify him of this outrage and ask him that
>something be done to avoid these scary thefts during his Administration.
>
> We are very thankful to God that these men didn't shoot or kill my
>husband.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Velia Amparo Rivas and Steven B. Steele
>
>
>
:?::(:?:

Bedman - 9-16-2007 at 07:12 PM

Wow... It just gets worse and worse. Glad to hear that the husband is ok. Here's a little tip that makes life easier IF you ever lose your wallet. Take all of your wallets contents out, lay them down on a copy machine and make a copy, front and back. You'll have all the info you need to report the losses.

Be safe out there!

Bedman

Bajaboy - 9-16-2007 at 07:17 PM

Okay, I was feeling bad for this guy until I read this part:

> My husband and I live and work in Rosarito. We are real estate agents
>with a local agency. The impact that this news is going to have on our
>clientele is going to be extremely detrimental for our city's tourism. So
>we will play it down as much as we can with our prospects.
>

Zac

Barry A. - 9-16-2007 at 07:33 PM

Bajaboy--------you were thinking that they should tell their clients that the crime is now impossible, and that they should never buy there???? Right!!!!!!

It ain't going to happen, and it shouldn't-----------buyers should do their homework-----it's called "due diligence", I believe.

I, for one, feel very badly that this guy had to go thru this------nobody should have to indure that kind of abuse and terror.

roundtuit - 9-16-2007 at 07:39 PM

The scale of justice!!!! Money or the truth????

Hook - 9-16-2007 at 08:45 PM

Early morning...........pricey wheels.

A sting operation would be so easy to end this that it must have some protection by one of the police departments.

Surprised that the Mexican insurance companies havent raised a stink.

Again, no local publicity?

Baja Norte has become a gauntlet. Break out the pizza insurance.

Or avoid altogether................

[Edited on 9-17-2007 by Hook]

Bajafun777 - 9-16-2007 at 08:49 PM

I still believe the Federal Police should put up sting cars with armed officers that have automatic weapons so when these pieces of $$it who pull these hold-ups get every ounce of lead that the Federal Government of Mexico can afford them. Until they do this these robberies will just keep happening and it will not just stay with the current time frame, so others that think they are safe are in for a bigger surprise. Just hope that innocent people do not get kill until Mexico gets with the program of stopping this nonesense. In the U.S. this would be stopped in few days since they are pulling it on the same road and about the same time lines, enough is enough. Thoughts and Prayers are with those victimized and those that are going to be victimized. Later------- bajafun777

Maybe

bajaguy - 9-16-2007 at 08:50 PM

We need the military back...........

Roberto - 9-16-2007 at 08:58 PM

People, not to worry - I'm sure this is another falsehood being spread by the not-so-sure-what brigade of folks who take pleasure in spreading rumors about Mexico.

So, have at it, let's see if you can find a board this person posts on that is not to your taste, or something else that you can criticize and make it clear how your superior knowledge of Baja and its ways are the answer to all potential problems. :rolleyes: :barf:

[Edited on 9-17-2007 by Roberto]

Hook - 9-16-2007 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
People, not to worry - I'm sure this is another falsehood being spread by the not-so-sure-what brigade of folks who take pleasure in spreading rumors about Mexico.

So, have at it, let's see if you can find a board this person posts on that is not to your taste, or something else that you can criticize and make it clear how your superior knowledge of Baja and its ways are the answer to all potential problems. :rolleyes: :barf:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amen, Roberto. I was trying to figure out a clever way of putting it but you have done it.

Bajaboy - 9-16-2007 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Bajaboy--------you were thinking that they should tell their clients that the crime is now impossible, and that they should never buy there???? Right!!!!!!

It ain't going to happen, and it shouldn't-----------buyers should do their homework-----it's called "due diligence", I believe.

I, for one, feel very badly that this guy had to go thru this------nobody should have to indure that kind of abuse and terror.

It was my impression that the Realtor, I mean real estate agent, was supposed to represent, read fiduciary duty, his/her client. I suppose one should use "due diligence" when choosing an agent. Remember the karma factor....

Zac

Roberto - 9-16-2007 at 09:18 PM

Thanks Hook - it's not actually that funny any more but there it is.

I'd like to hear about your transactions in San Carlos some time (off-line). It's a great place if you have the time to spend time there, no question. I remember my time there fondly, the views of Tetakawi and all - even in the heat of July. :lol::lol:

CaboRon - 9-17-2007 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

It was my impression that the Realtor, I mean real estate agent, was supposed to represent, read fiduciary duty, his/her client. I suppose one should use "due diligence" when choosing an agent. Remember the karma factor....

Zac

Honest Realters....give me a break :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2007 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri

This morning, Friday August 24, 2007, at 5:20AM, my husband (Steven B.
>Steele) was driving on the Toll Road towards San Diego from Rosarito in our
>Lincoln Navigator to...

TJ-Rosarito area is getting to be like DF or any big border city: you better get a body guard of you drive a flashy car, and don't stop for any cop -- let them follow you to a police station or busy public place like a toll booth or front door of a Gigante.
Also, if you drive at nite, you should convoy with armed body guards, and have armored car (if you drive a newish or flashy car, you better get armor anyways).

Barry A. - 9-17-2007 at 10:30 AM

I think one should use "due diligence" when choosing ANYTHING!!!

I have never had any problems with Realtors, either brokers or agents----------but I am careful who I "choose" to represent me, and always check them out before doing business with them. Duh!!!!

If you truly expect a realtor to reveal all the possible negatives, you live in the land of Oz----------THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING. :tumble:

What all this has to do with an innocent person being robbed and terrorized is beyond me. :O

DanO - 9-17-2007 at 11:09 AM

Well, FWIW, they do appear to be actual realtors. Here's a website advertising their services.

http://www.baja123.com/CONTACT_US/page_1232095.html

http://veliaamparorivas.point2homes.biz/

Why would someone in their position want to scare people off? Seems counterintuitive to me.

toneart - 9-17-2007 at 11:17 AM

Quote:

Roberto,

Is your post criticizing Keri, the Nomad who started this string? She says she is posting an email that she has twice received. I believe she has credibility on this board and I assume she knows the person who sent her the email. She has seemingly distanced herself from the validity of the post by not offering any conjecture.

I appreciate her post, true or not. If true, we all need to be made aware. If not true, who's to know, including Keri? Of course others will offer opinions, either sarcastically or in earnest. That's what you will get, but who really knows unless it can be substantiated?
If it really happened, it comes on the tails of other, similar posts.

At least, this one was not initiated on the BD board, which many here have regarded as suspect. I reserve judgement. How would I know? How would you know?:?:

Roberto - 9-17-2007 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Roberto,

Is your post criticizing Keri, the Nomad who started this string?

Nope, how in the world would you get that from my post????? With all the goings on recently, I thought it would be PRETTY OBVIOUS who I was "criticizing". Not been paying enough attention, I guess. :yawn:

toneart - 9-17-2007 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Roberto,

Is your post criticizing Keri, the Nomad who started this string?

Nope, how in the world would you get that from my post????? With all the goings on recently, I thought it would be PRETTY OBVIOUS who I was "criticizing". Not been paying enough attention, I guess. :yawn:

I didn't make that an accusation, just a question because it wasn't that obvious to me. I am not trying to be confrontational. You have answered my question to my satisfaction with the word "nope". I don't need to know, or care, who you are criticizing.

[Edited on 9-17-2007 by toneart]

Roberto - 9-17-2007 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
[I don't need to know, or care, who you are criticizing.

That's obviously not the case - otherwise why would you have asked the question? :lol::lol:

toneart - 9-17-2007 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[I don't need to know, or care, who you are criticizing.

That's obviously not the case - otherwise why would you have asked the question? :lol::lol:

Roberto,
You are only quoting the parts of my posts that suit your need to ridicule. Please read my posts again.
1. I didn't think it was right to criticize Keri.
2. I wasn't sure if you were criticizing Keri. It was unclear to me. I did not want to assume. That is why I asked you the question.
3. You answered my question by saying, "nope". That satisfied my question.
4. Other than the Keri question, which you answered, I do not need to know, or care who you are criticizing. This is obviously the case!

Roberto - 9-17-2007 at 12:51 PM

Toneart, I'm not "ridiculing" anything - or anybody. I'm just laughing, don't read to much into :lol:!

Ok? :lol::lol:

toneart - 9-17-2007 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Toneart, I'm not "ridiculing" anything - or anybody. I'm just laughing, don't read to much into :lol:!

Ok? :lol::lol:

OK.

Bajaboy - 9-17-2007 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
I think one should use "due diligence" when choosing ANYTHING!!!

I have never had any problems with Realtors, either brokers or agents----------but I am careful who I "choose" to represent me, and always check them out before doing business with them. Duh!!!!

If you truly expect a realtor to reveal all the possible negatives, you live in the land of Oz----------THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING. :tumble:

What all this has to do with an innocent person being robbed and terrorized is beyond me. :O

My real estate agent should not be trying to sell me anything. They should be representing me in the process of purchasing real estate. Unfortunately, they often forget this. Again their fiduciary duty is to me not themselves.

As for being honest, look at point number 2

The REALTOR® Oath

I pledge myself

* To protect the individual rights of real estate ownership and to widen the opportunity to enjoy it.
* To be honorable and honest in all dealings.
* To seek better to represent my clients by building my knowledge and competence.
* To act fairly towards all in the spirit of the Golden Rule.
* To serve my community, and through it my country.
* To always conduct myself in conformity with the ideals and objectives as set forth in the REALTORS® Code of Ethics.
* To contribute to the welfare of my Association by abiding by the bylaws, rules and regulations of the Northeastern Michigan Board of REALTORS®.

You say "due diligence" and I say "full-disclosure" I do hear your point, though.

Zac

The Sculpin - 9-17-2007 at 01:45 PM

Bajaboy was the first to use the term (and then took it back) but I have a question - A Realtor is a member of the trade organization "National Organization of Realtors", that is organized and does business in the USA. Is there a similar organization in Mexico? The NOR's code of ethics is fairly thorough, more so than the state licensing agencies. If a Realtor in Mexico breaches the code of ethics, does the NOS have any jurisdiction as it pertains to Mexican transactions? Does a real estate agent in Mexico require any type of formal training or professional qualifications? I was always under the impression that everything stops and starts with the albondigas..no...the ahumado...no, the abrodago..damn...the attorney!!

bajalou - 9-17-2007 at 02:27 PM

If someone is working for a development as a sales person, they are working totally for the development, not the purchaser. (let the buyer beware)

ElFaro - 9-17-2007 at 03:22 PM

This incident certainly begs a few questions...
1. Was this some kind of "payback" for a grudge from someone who knew them? Hardly think so since 7 men where involved.
2. A crime of opportunity? - The toll road has many isolated stretches...more so in the wee hours where 2 cars working in concert with cell phones and light or no traffic would give thugs ample opportunity to scope out and coordinate these kind of carjackings / thefts.
3. Is it possible this persons daily "driving habits" were scoped out ahead of time? He was driving alone (single passenger) and a solo car.
4. There are alot of employees working on the Natural Gas Terminal at Bajamer and I believe many commute from Ensenada or Rosarito. Have any of them encountered this kind of trouble but have not reported it?
5. Last year there was considerable reporting in the San Diego newspapers about all the explosive development on the coast between TJ and Ensenada and all the real estate companies and their US / Mex agents living and selling at the sites. There is also the build up of the La Salina marina and associated homes / condos. All this will add more people and the Police will try to do something to get a handle on things. I think this is part of the "infrastructure lag" that's always part of the landscape in Baja.
6. I have heard (it may or may not be true) that one reason the car thefts are on the rise is because those who crossed the border north and stole cars are not able to get back north as easily anymore and are now stealing Gringo cars from TJ to Ensenada.

toneart - 9-17-2007 at 03:57 PM

It does not make sense that the police can't catch the perps, assuming they are even trying. It should be easy. There isn't that much traffic out there on that stretch of highway in the dark. The time, place, vehicle descriptions, flashing police lights fastened to rear view mirrors, no uniforms, have been well documented in these posts. Wouldn't the municipal, state and federal governments and the business communities be concerned about the negative impact this news would have on tourism and on the reputation of the whole country?

I would guess that if these stories are substantiated and the perps are caught, it will show up here. I am inclined to believe the stories even though I don't want to. The fact that nobody has been caught does raise just a shadow of doubt though. ....(about the stories and more so about the police). This has been going on since a year ago when a Nomad was shot in the leg. He kept driving and made it to the border. His story was substantiated.

Lots of people will be vulnerable on that stretch of highway in the wee hours. Not everyone reads this board or any others.
Innocent people will be coming now and in the future. They need to know. Those who are victims need to go to all the trouble to make formal reports with each department in the jurisdictions. They need to get this stopped. Posting on the online forums is a start, but it is not enough. Follow through and then follow up. You may save a life.

It happened again

fdt - 9-19-2007 at 08:23 AM

Now to 2 young mexican businessmen
http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/18092...
:no:

Hook - 9-19-2007 at 08:48 AM

The police wont do anything because they have been completely intimidated by the cartels and fear this could be the work of them...........which is pretty likely, given the theft of vehicles.

Someone noticed the military had vacated that area..............

Mango - 9-19-2007 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
6. I have heard (it may or may not be true) that one reason the car thefts are on the rise is because those who crossed the border north and stole cars are not able to get back north as easily anymore and are now stealing Gringo cars from TJ to Ensenada.

This may be true. Last time I crossed at Mexicali East they checked my VIN, registration, and asked me if I was the owner of my car... right before they sent me to secondary.

Since my car was empty, secondary only lasted a few minutes. But, I have never faced so much scrutiny about the ownership of my car before.

It would make sense to me that the stolen cars were being used to smuggle, as the smugglers would want to keep a low profile with a new gringo car, and not lose their own car if they got caught. Solo mi 2 pesos.

gnukid - 9-19-2007 at 09:14 AM

In 25 years of passing the cuota toll roads I haven't been robbed, I have often seen cars with police lights that do not appear to be real cops, and I have had these cars try to pull ahead and in crappy crown victorias and granadas in the old days and pull me over, but I don't let them. I swerve and speed when they try to be aggressive. And I travel in tight groups with radios and phones.

This isn't new but apparently they are better at coordinating brazen robberys there than they used to be.

Although there are many divisions of cops in baja with more and more sophistication, I found the traffic cops through baja have no desire to confront robbers. Cops confront nice people in nice cars. They will not chase robbers who are within eyesight. They will not go into a house and follow a perp who robbed or threatened someone so its no surprise they have no desire to catch these armed robbers who have been there from 2-5am forever especially fri-sat-sun-mon. I think tuesday-thursday day times are the best days to pass there.

Many of you know I love to take pictures and video, I have many video cameras some of which have excellent night vision. I see stuff going down and I dream of doing video sting operations and catching robbers with full video evidence, but alas that would be highly dangerous, in many ways I am sure.

Please Mexico, get it together a little bit.

SDRonni - 9-19-2007 at 11:03 AM

Will someone please translate the article on fdt's link?
Thank you!

Hook - 9-19-2007 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Now to 2 young mexican businessmen
http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/18092...
:no:

I dont see any date that this occurred in the article.

Taco de Baja - 9-19-2007 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Will someone please translate the article on fdt's link?
Thank you!

Here is a very rough and quick one by Google:

Two young people who dedicate themselves to the Beach cattle ranch of Rosarito, managed to escape of being kidnapped, after taking a one from them hit of bullet.

The plagiarists tried to stop them rafagueando pick up in where they traveled, one of the victims had to be hospitalized because it was hit in one of the legs.

Francisco Javier Sauri Moreno, of 18 years and Samuel Cypress Creek, of 28, that escaped of their aggressors ended up stopping in the division San Antonio of the Sea.

When seeing that no longer they were persecuted they decided to request aid because Saurio Moreno presented/displayed a bullet wound in one of its knees and then it was taken care of by paramédicos.

The General Office of the judge advocate general of Justice of Estado (PGJE), informed that around 9:00 hours this Tuesday the call of which a vehicle Jeep Liberty with several impacts of bullet was set afire to the height of kilometer 15 from the Tijuana highway to Cove, to the height of End was received Flag.

The injured man declared before the authorities that one hour before were in company of their friend Samuel Cypress Creek, of 28, when a group of armed people approached to them and then they fled.

Within the searches, ministerial agents settled down the relation of this incident with the report of person injured by firearm, fact 45 minutes later in the hospital of the Beach Red Cross of Rosarito.

Nevertheless this it has not been the only case that has occurred in which the people who are on the verge of being kidnapped manage to escape, the last week a man in the Beach delegation of Tijuana also managed to occur to the flight.

SDRonni - 9-19-2007 at 11:16 AM

Thanks! I've got to learn Spanish!:yes:

fdt - 9-19-2007 at 11:19 AM

It was yesterday and in the same area, but as they escaped the got shot at and the kidnappers did'nt follow them into San Antonio del Mar.
Just take the free road.

DENNIS - 9-19-2007 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Huh? I was under the impression that it's illegal for them to do so without the owner's permission. You know different?

--Larry

Wouldn't that be a "Hot pursuit?"

bajaguy - 9-19-2007 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Huh? I was under the impression that it's illegal for them to do so without the owner's permission. You know different?

--Larry

Wouldn't that be a "Hot pursuit?"

Well, in the US it would be, but we are talking about Mexico....

toneart - 9-19-2007 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
They will not go into a house and follow a perp who robbed or threatened someone...

--Larry

I don't know Mexican Law, but wouldn't "Reasonable Cause" be a legal excuse to enter, particularly if the perp had been chased there? "Reasonable Cause" is reasonable, and should be universal. If the police go to the house sometime after the event, then they would need a search warrant in the U.S.

Larry,
Do you actually mean that if I were to shoot or kidnap someone and the police followed me to my house, they would have to ask my permission to enter? What if I shouted, "NO"? Or, if I were not the owner, the police would have to contact the landlord before entering?

Bob H - 9-19-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Just take the free road.

Good advice... and, At least there are plenty of people around! Bob H

gnukid - 9-19-2007 at 01:00 PM

I am just saying that for all the times we've had trouble and it as well known who did the crime as it occurred moments earlier in front of everyone, when the perp runs, the police never give chase sincerely, they fake it sure, they like to pretend with fake security nets, huff huff, but in most cases they arrest the victim or someone poor incorrectly on purpose and let them go the next day as opposed to the actual guy, who might actually be a scary person.

Who cares, I am just saying, Where's CSI Baja when you need. For a land full of biologists and scientists we have very no crime scene investigators. Give me Animal Planet Vet investigators on the scene. Someone? We need some good cops down here. It starts from the top down.

If Calderon, Agundez and the other Politiocs don't want a clean Baja aint 'nothin we can do about it except run scared. Calderon, he doesn't care about Baja except for his personal holdings. He made a play for sympathy early and pulled out the troops, argh!

I guess we could hire the recently fired Blackwater Iraqi private security to patrol and shoot up TJ. Cabrons!

Debra - 9-19-2007 at 01:10 PM

Ferna,

Do you advise taking the free road because of more traffic? More locals, less Gringos?

Also, someone here mentioned Tom being shot, don't forget, Raqueal was killed, .......... not on the toll road, but..............

How rude of me! I forgot to thank Keri for the heads-up!

THANKS GIRLFRIEND!

[Edited on 9-19-2007 by Debra]

fdt - 9-19-2007 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Do you actually mean that if I were to shoot or kidnap someone and the police followed me to my house, they would have to ask my permission to enter? the police would have to contact the landlord before entering?

That is correct it would be "Allanamiento de Morada" and it is illegal and the police could go to jail for doing so http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allanamiento_de_morada
They would have to get a court "Judges"order in order to enter "Orden de Cateo". There has recently been intents to legislate to the contrary but only during extreme cases. That is why I have also stated that you do't have to get out of your car for a cop and they can not take your car from you "Illegal".

fdt - 9-19-2007 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Ferna,

Do you advise taking the free road because of more traffic? More locals, less Gringos?

Also, someone here mentioned Tom being shot, don't forget, Raqueal was killed, .......... not on the toll road, but..............

[Edited on 9-19-2007 by Debra]

That happened in the Cataviña area and was'nt it an ex-employee that knew theire routine?
I am talking about the Border to Rosarito

fdt - 9-19-2007 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Ferna,

Yes but not the gringo part as most residents take the free road gringo or chino or ruso.

wasn't there a story.....

woody with a view - 9-19-2007 at 04:10 PM

awhile back about the road along the border fence and up until the toll booth supposedly being a "no pull over zone - let the gringo go" area? if that is the case, just stand on the accelerator until you hit the toll booth. hopefully, the punks will bail at the turn to playas.

Taco de Baja - 9-19-2007 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
awhile back about the road along the border fence and up until the toll booth supposedly being a "no pull over zone - let the gringo go" area? if that is the case, just stand on the accelerator until you hit the toll booth. hopefully, the punks will bail at the turn to playas.

Yes but even the real cops still hit the gringos up for mordida here; at least as of 8/18/07....Next time :rolleyes: I think Ill play it safe and go to the toll booth though.

woody with a view - 9-19-2007 at 04:27 PM

how do you think the (real) cops will react if you don't pull over? it is a catch 22 either way, i think!

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2007 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
I have often seen cars with police lights that do not appear to be real cops, and I have had these cars try to pull ahead and in crappy crown victorias and granadas in the old days and pull me over, but I don't let them. I swerve and speed when they try to be aggressive. And I travel in tight groups with radios and phones.

Often? How many times? Your story sounds like BS.

gnukid - 9-19-2007 at 06:47 PM

mtgoat666, I don't know what they are doing there on the cuotas. But it is the truth. I have experienced something apparently like a car jacking but I have not lost, yet. I used to always cross early like 3:30-5:00am at the advice of others more experienced than I. Now I arrive in the day light hours. Its something I plan and think about and worry about. I can recall three times over the last few years when something weird happened on the toll road. I even took photos, I often have cameras attachred, ready on to chronologize my trip. But its just a glare of lights because of the flashing lights. This crappy car will be on the side, you pass, they pull out with a puff of smokey exhaust, the flashing lights come on, but you know it's not a cop. You go slow, they pull up swerving and you know its not a cop, so you drive defensively. I have a very big car, 7000 lbs so I don't let them pass I sped up to the next toll booth and they are not behind. Once I drove very slow and when the pulled behind with the lights I kept going slow but didn't pull over and they pulled away. Now I am more aggressive.

I really don't know what the hell is happening half the time in Baja but it seems like it was an attempted car jack. I have also had thieves in the road throw huge bolders at the car and smash the windows including the windshield which made glass go in our beers and our faces but we kept going and survived that too. Nor did I get mad. I kept going and it worked out fine.

I have more stories and they're true. I have had bad cops smash me in the chest with guns and tell me I would loose everything if I didn't pay 5000 dollars then they threw me in jail, I didn't pat and then let me go. I bet I'm not different from the others here.

Maybe that's the fun part, Hard to know for sure unless you've never had so much fun, then you miss it I guess.

I shoot and keep photos and video chronologically daily, its a journal for almost ten years now. Here is one indicative shots of my effort though not representative of the coutas, here I am hanging back from my buddy Jay Valentine in TJ who many of you may know, and then I drove up slowly with brights on and the guys took off.

I have improved since then with setting the cameras for shooting and driving at night. They are blurry at times. Anyway, I have some conclusions about safety which I'll share here in a more organized form only with the desire to have fun and stay safe.

http://vps.ooto.com/borderdrive1024/pages/P1011227.htm

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2007 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
mtgoat666, I don't know what they are doing there on the cuotas. But it is the truth. I have experienced something apparently like a car jacking but I have not lost, yet. I used to always cross early like 3:30-5:00am at the advice of others more experienced than I. Now I arrive in the day light hours. Its something I plan and think about and worry about. I can recall three times over the last few years when something weird happened on the toll road. I even took photos, I often have cameras attachred, ready on to chronologize my trip. But its just a glare of lights because of the flashing lights. This crappy car will be on the side, you pass, they pull out with a puff of smokey exhaust, the flashing lights come on, but you know it's not a cop. You go slow, they pull up swerving and you know its not a cop, so you drive defensively. I have a very big car, 7000 lbs so I don't let them pass I sped up to the next toll booth and they are not behind. Once I drove very slow and when the pulled behind with the lights I kept going slow but didn't pull over and they pulled away. Now I am more aggressive.

I really don't know what the hell is happening half the time in Baja but it seems like it was an attempted car jack. I have also had thieves in the road throw huge bolders at the car and smash the windows including the windshield which made glass go in our beers and our faces but we kept going and survived that too. Nor did I get mad. I kept going and it worked out fine.

I have more stories and they're true. I have had bad cops smash me in the chest with guns and tell me I would loose everything if I didn't pay 5000 dollars then they threw me in jail, I didn't pat and then let me go. I bet I'm not different from the others here.

Maybe that's the fun part, Hard to know for sure unless you've never had so much fun, then you miss it I guess.

I shoot and keep photos and video chronologically daily, its a journal for almost ten years now. Here is one indicative shots of my effort though not representative of the coutas, here I am hanging back from my buddy Jay Valentine in TJ who many of you may know, and then I drove up slowly with brights on and the guys took off.

I have improved since then with setting the cameras for shooting and driving at night. They are blurry at times. Anyway, I have some conclusions about safety which I'll share here in a more organized form only with the desire to have fun and stay safe.

http://vps.ooto.com/borderdrive1024/pages/P1011227.htm

don't drink and drive.
and don't drive at nite.

woody with a view - 9-19-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:

I have also had thieves in the road throw huge bolders at the car and smash the windows including the windshield which made glass go in our beers and our faces but we kept going and survived that too. Nor did I get mad. I kept going and it worked out fine.

grace under pressure...............:light:

Gadget - 9-19-2007 at 09:35 PM

I like how some of you guys itemize and number your lists of you said I said when you're arguing. I need to start doing that with my wife :spingrin:
True of not I know one thing for sure as we are leaving soon on an extended trip, I WILL NOT STOP FOR ANY CAR THAT DOESN'T HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS ON THE ROOF untill I'm to someplace where there are other people. If it turns out to be a real cop then I will start explaining why I did that and he can fine me extra if he wants and of course I will offer to happily pay the fines at the appropriate station or courthouse :saint:
This is all really turning into a bunch of dung. Mexico is going to turn all these resort and condo areas into ghost towns if they don't do something.

Al G - 9-19-2007 at 10:20 PM

This is to well organized to be anything, but Cops...cannot prove it, but would bet on it.
When are these realtors going to flush their brains out and realize by keeping their mouth shut they may be sealing the fate of someone that has not got the warning...I cannot imagine someone so self serving. How can you feel sorry for someone that want to help the bandits and keep it quite, so they can hook a sale. I for one hope that lighting strikes twice in the place.
The person I would contact is Trump...he has a lot to lose and may have enough contacts to stir the cop pot...matters not, they are guilty or not.
Would not take a smart person to figure where they setup at and a few trips by the military, would net a couple of cars with fake lights and a lot of guys with guns sitting along a road.

Mango - 9-20-2007 at 01:20 AM

Quote:
If Calderon, Agundez and the other Politiocs don't want a clean Baja aint 'nothin we can do about it except run scared. Calderon, he doesn't care about Baja except for his personal holdings. He made a play for sympathy early and pulled out the troops, argh!...

Baja:Mexico
Alaska:Lower 48

I don't think the main problem is that they don't care; they just have more immediate and local stuff to worry about.

i.e. Pipelines blowing up in Veracruz, Marxist rebels taking over entire cities in Chiapas and Oaxaca, police being assassinated in Acapulco, Juarez, TJ, and DF, out of control crime in DF(Mexico City), etc.. etc..

Baja (north and south) has a pretty low population compared to the rest of Mexico and the only major problem area is TJ. So its not a priority when you lump it in with all the other problems Mexico has. For the most part, Baja is safe and unpopulated.

Sure, tourism is important; but, as far as tourism goes, Mexico makes more money off throngs of gringos in Cancun, PV, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cabo, etc. than they do from a few gringos camping in an RV's on remote beachs in Baja.

Sure the condos, and the beach front homes, and all the other problems in Baja..

They care; but, they currently have all ten fingers and a few toes stuck in the dam in Central Mexico where 95% of their voters (the people they are elected to serve) live.

Here is a map of the population density of Mexico. The only reason BCN has the number of people it does is because of Mexicali and TJ; otherwise, its empty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mexico_estados_densidad.png

Just my 2 pesos.

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by Mango]

oldhippie - 9-20-2007 at 06:56 AM

Mango, I agree. The peninsula is composed of the "forgotten states". The mainland, especially Mexico City is the center of attention. What's the population there, 20 million or so? And basic services are woefully short.

But, I've read that TJ is the fastest growing city of consequence in Mexico and the Mayor, Governor, and Calderon are all PAN. Of course I'm hoping some spare change is thrown this way.

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by oldhippie]

DENNIS - 9-20-2007 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
The peninsula is composed of the "forgotten states".

Baja is referred to as "The Provinces" by mainlanders, especially DF.

oldhippie - 9-20-2007 at 08:01 AM

I have Chilango neighbors, recent transferees sent to the outback to manage new businesses, staff new hospitals, and teach. They seem to stick together. Pretty wives though and great little kids. There's a gang of little boys that play in the park that love my dogs. I'm teaching "Eric" the leader of the pack the wolf whistle. ;D

fdt - 9-20-2007 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
If Calderon, Agundez and the other Politiocs don't want a clean Baja aint 'nothin we can do about it except run scared. Calderon, he doesn't care about Baja except for his personal holdings. He made a play for sympathy early and pulled out the troops, argh!

I guess we could hire the recently fired Blackwater Iraqi private security to patrol and shoot up TJ. Cabrons!

Sorry, I have to ask; What does Agundez and the other Politiocs have to do with Tijuana?

fdt - 9-20-2007 at 09:03 AM

Comando kidnappers captured, uniforms, vehicles, weapons and more, recognize them? they were sent to Mexico City

False uniforms are hard to difirentiate from real ones

Mango - 9-20-2007 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Mango, I agree. The peninsula is composed of the "forgotten states". The mainland, especially Mexico City is the center of attention. What's the population there, 20 million or so? And basic services are woefully short.

But, I've read that TJ is the fastest growing city of consequence in Mexico and the Mayor, Governor, and Calderon are all PAN. Of course I'm hoping some spare change is thrown this way.

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by oldhippie]

Yep. The federal district of the capital is only about 8 million; but, when you throw in the entire Mexico City metro area (it's just one huge contiguous city that extends over the dotted lines on the map) you have about 20 million. The entire state of Baja (Norte) has a population of about 3 million people in comparison. About 3/4 of the people in Baja (Norte) live in TJ or Mexicali.

Just think.. TJ x 20 and you get an idea of how big Mexico City is. Feel free to multiply the crime and corruption by 20 as well, although it won't be accurate, it gives one an idea of the magnitude of the difficulty of Calderon's job.

I thought that Baja (Norte) would have gotten more love with Calderon being president as well; but, his job is far from over. Give him time. They are building infrastructure pretty quickly here in Mexicali with new underpasses and interchanges popping up all the time. There is even some new tourism center south of the main crossing that popped up overnight. I'm still not sure what that is all about. It looks like a bus station "lite". Much like Loreto, I am curious how they plan to continue to supply water to this rapidly growing city in the future.

Mango - 9-20-2007 at 09:07 AM

That's good news fdt! Thanks for the update.

oldhippie - 9-20-2007 at 09:55 AM

Well, I doubted they existed, and some folks that believed they did doubted the cops would get them. We were wrong. Too bad they existed but good for the cops! Relatively short work. Now, let's see, they're guilty to proven innocent, right?

Wonder where they bought those weapons.

Hook - 9-20-2007 at 10:08 AM

So, are these articles indicating that the 2-5am perps have been captured?

Nice lookin' bunch of choir boys, huh????

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by Hook]

JZ - 9-20-2007 at 10:11 AM

Wow! Great news! Can someone translate the details. Any mention if they were the preps on the toll road.

fdt - 9-20-2007 at 10:14 AM

No mention as for the choir boys beeing the ones from the toll road but it does say that they dedicated themselves (when not practicing in the choir) to kidnappings in different areas and also on the radio news here everyone seems to be very hapy about theire capture.

Hook - 9-20-2007 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ Any mention if they were the preps on the toll road.

Hard to tell......I see no iphones or distinguishing fashions. :P

gnukid - 9-20-2007 at 10:35 AM

You know, this is the time of year when I worry about transiting baja, its a seasonal change, the people of Baja also worry about our arrival. They depend on us and we depend on them. We are intertwined so deep culturally and economically for every thing we depend on, food, water, gas, roofs, etc...

Up and down Baja, we are sweeping and cleaning for the arrival of Gringo. Everyboidy is on alert for Gringo.

I have some conceptual ideas about this, in order to increase travelers security. Mainly that we as residents both mexican and norte americano are a group that must see our interdependence clearly, we must gather together in solidarity, with open communication systems, wide spread inter-reporting, interdependent watch dogs, and we should carry markings to note such solidarity as people who are a super-prepared tribe.

Whether we think we are or not, we are the masters of transiting baja because we do it successfully and we should use the highest level of sophistication to ensure our security and the security of our group becuase if one of us fails we all fail somewhat, due to fear and to loss of time and energy spent worry about ourselves and our fellow travelors.

I'd like to work together to share further sophisticated designs to communicate status, problems, identify perps and pursue them legally with cooperative support from us Las Californianos y todos juntos para todos partes.

I think that preparation both physical, maintenance, and systems that capture and identify the location of our vehicles and our status messages in transit, captured photos and videos in emergencys etc... and to advertise such preparation, is a very strong deterrent and could increase our sense of security.

I don't think that it is necessary for every vehicle to have expensive military/police on board systems but, in this day and age its easy to send data from nearly any modern phone to any network, including photos, audio and video status only that the perps know that we are prepared now and for the future to be safe in baja and that those who will commit crimes will eventually be caught with evidence and prosecuted on both sides of the borders.

I am not sure of the code basis of this board, whether phpbb or vbulliten but both have easily installed modules (mods) to receive and send communication from other input systems such as text messages, wap, etc...

These proposed actions are more of a proposed detererrent than a solution to crime.

Sure it's a fantasy, but c'mon we love fantasy.

Try out this initial bumper advertisement, "If you mess with Old Hippie you are messing with Baja!"

gnukid - 9-20-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

Sorry, I have to ask; What does Agundez and the other Politiocs have to do with Tijuana?

FDT, Sorry I accidently included polticos in our state, BCS in the south and our Nation, Mexico in the discussion of TJ. My apologies. Of course those in the south and the rest of Mexico have no bearing or say in the actions of the TJ, loco.

fdt - 9-20-2007 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
I like how some of you guys itemize and number your lists of you said I said when you're arguing. I need to start doing that with my wife :spingrin:

Only difference here is that it's in writing :lol:

Hook - 9-20-2007 at 10:52 AM

Quote:

If you think that type of logical thinking is going to work..........well, you havent been married very long. :smug:

Yet another type of duck-and-cover exercise...............

Low Bio-Impact Effective Deterrent Systems (LBIEDS)

Gypsy Jan - 9-20-2007 at 04:47 PM

1) Sign in the back window of the car: "Cuidado con Perros" (sorry, brain fart, I'm probably not quoting the Spanish correctly, but you get the drift) with a silhouette of a German Shepherd.

2) Inside the vehicle is a mellow, usually laid-back German Shepherd that will and has taken care of any unauthorized intrusions. (The additiionally present Rottweilers couldn't care less - they are there for back up.)
)
No batteries to replace or expensive infrastructures to maintain.

I am being a bit flippant - let me go on to say that all dogs, especially dominant and territorial ones, need sufficient exercise and training, but, if you give them the direction they need they will return the investment in spades with unconditional love and unswerving loyalty,

[Edited on 9-20-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

gnukid - 9-20-2007 at 05:00 PM

Lencho, cool. I checked xmb out, very nice group. In any case its based on php and likely phpbb.

Its just a conceptual idea- Team Vagas - one could log onto a forum (sub forum), and by sending a subscription, begin their trip log, which tracks the users' trip progress geographically and otherwise. Users phones would send a prompted periodic text message with gps info to the users forum account. Your trips could be logged and mapped and if you choose you could allow others, family and or the public to see your geographic progress with the updates and comments from beginning to end or the data could be maintained as anonymous data. You could include additional trip log data, text, images and videos. The purpose being others could see your progress and be aware of areas which are more problematic than others, passable or not passable. A database would be built upon the data likely showing evidence of problems and likely the cause of problems through collected data.

There might a ride board, or pony express system to bring things to cruisers in port from their homes and suppliers. Group ride info, etc...

Travel data, routes, traffic updates could be shared.

In the case of serious issues, reports could be sent to travelers en route to keep their eyes open, to locate perps and find stolen cars.

I'll get started.

Gadget - 9-20-2007 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

If you think that type of logical thinking is going to work..........well, you havent been married very long. :smug:

Yet another type of duck-and-cover exercise...............

I was joking!!!
We will be celibrating our 27th anniversary on our Baja trip next week.
And for us as 2 type A's logical thinking does not work when we argue. We just go straight to WWII. Options to help is only wishful thinking :saint:

Roberto - 9-20-2007 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
We will be celibrating our 27th anniversary on our Baja trip next week. And for us as 2 type A's logical thinking does not work when we argue. We just go straight to WWII.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

22 years here - fought WWII many times over. Little has been learned. :o

fdt - 9-20-2007 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We will be celibrating our 27th anniversary on our Baja trip next week. And for us as 2 type A's logical thinking does not work when we argue. We just go straight to WWII.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

22 years here - fought WWII many times over. Little has been learned. :o

It's more like War of the Worlds here :wow:

gnukid - 9-20-2007 at 08:21 PM

http://mologogo.com/
gps phone tracking site

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmapper/
source code
Google Map GPS Cell Phone Tracker
support for php mysql

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by gnukid]

Al G - 9-20-2007 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
gps phone tracking site

source code
support for php mysql

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by gnukid]

I got all excited...I thought I was going to be able track a woman's cell phone to see if she only liked me...even worst gota find one first:lol::lol::lol:

gnukid - 9-20-2007 at 09:21 PM

oh the joy of knowing everything about your lover and their whereabouts, ahhhhhhggggg!

JZ - 9-21-2007 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Its just a conceptual idea- Team Vagas - one could log onto a forum (sub forum), and by sending a subscription, begin their trip log...
I'll get started.

Good lord-- It's DK crossed with Bill Gates on Jolt! :O

--Larry

I was thinking the same thing. Wow...

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by JZ]

Mango - 9-21-2007 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
gps phone tracking site

source code
support for php mysql

There's a definite "technically cool" factor there, but the sociopolitical implications are scary. Put me out, coach... :o

--Larry

One of the engineers that I work for on occasion told me a story of a fishing trip he took to Alaska once. He had to take a bush plane flight for many hours, then travel by boat for another day just to get the spot where his lodge was. After about a week; he got a message that there was an "emergecy" at the office. That was all the message said. He worried and thought about it all night. Should he go or stay? He thought,"Maybe there was a catostropic failure of a project and peoples lives are at stake."

So the next day he set out from the lodge. He traveled a whole day by boat... then another day by plane just to get to a phone to call his office because of the "emergency".

When he finally got though to the office on the phone the young intern working at the office said, "Oh, I just wanted to see if you were going to be back in time to goto the meeting next Tuesday."

He said he wanted to wrap the phone cord around the guys neck. An emergency?! I think not. 4 days of his two week trip already wasted. In fact he did not even go back to the lodge because he could only be there for another day or two before he would have to make the two day return trip yet again. So basically his two week trip was cut in half by some dolt who never bothered to learn the definition of "emergency".

:fire:

Personally, when I go on vacation, I want to be "on vacation". I just want simplicity and adventure. Don't bother calling if the world ended without me, my cell phone is going to be off unless I need to use it to call someone.

I prefer to travel without every conceivable contingency covered ten times over. I don't need nor want travel insurance, margarita insurance, hotel reservations, tee times booked, menus planed, play lists synced to my cell phone, to know if Britteny Spears is in/out of rehab, etc.. etc..

Sure I use a GPS and a beer cooler; but, I don't need the two mixed. If I can't find my beer cooler maybe it's time for a nap instead of another beer. Life is as simple or complex as you want to make it.

To each their own.

DanO - 9-21-2007 at 11:54 AM

Margarita insurance? What does that cover, exactly?

Mango - 9-21-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

It provides a free refill if your ice melts prematurely. However; there are exceptions. It only covers melting due to extreme temperature, not direct sunlight exposure. Also, it only remains valid for a period of 15 minutes after the drink is mixed, not served. Melting "implies" that 70% of ice has turned to water within the 15 minute time period. The coverage is void on leap years and within 2 days of any full moon, with the exception of a blue moon. Coverage must be pre-paid at time of ordering the drink in the form of a tip to the bartender and cost no less than the cost of the margarita itself. If you are still reading this please go drink a margarita and forget the insurance; just buy the person to the left of you a drink instead.

I hope that cleared things up. :lol:

gnukid - 9-21-2007 at 03:14 PM

Yes there are huge problems with GPS phones used to track employees, family etc... those are the current applications, my project is different, also frought with its own problems. In my project, the web site is used for travel adventure logs by option of the user, you turn it on in transit and you can turn it off and you control the access to your blog which is not associated with your personal identity. It is purely a blog site module for adventurers in cars and boats. But yes if you said I intend to arrive at x location at x time and you didn't (the fun part of traveling) I suppose that would draw red flags from your intended audience (mom), or lets say you lost the phone that would draw red flags too so yes the whole project is fraught with downsides and upsides depending on how the data is used. Being off the grid is cool being on the grid in constant contact is not always cool and not what being in mexico is about, in general.

To be clear I personally don't have a cell phone or a home phone.

Please don't contact me or look for me, I am hiding behind a palm tree and unavailable.

Mango - 9-21-2007 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yes there are huge problems with GPS phones used to track employees, family etc... those are the current applications, my project is different, also frought with its own problems. In my project, the web site is used for travel adventure logs by option of the user, you turn it on in transit and you can turn it off and you control the access to your blog which is not associated with your personal identity. It is purely a blog site module for adventurers in cars and boats. But yes if you said I intend to arrive at x location at x time and you didn't (the fun part of traveling) I suppose that would draw red flags from your intended audience (mom), or lets say you lost the phone that would draw red flags too so yes the whole project is fraught with downsides and upsides depending on how the data is used. Being off the grid is cool being on the grid in constant contact is not always cool and not what being in mexico is about, in general.

To be clear I personally don't have a cell phone or a home phone.

Please don't contact me or look for me, I am hiding behind a palm tree and unavailable.

All around I think your idea is pretty neat, and I am sure Mom's everywhere would love it. It's just a matter of time until you can be contacted anywhere. You might check into some of the software and hardware systems currently in use by long distance trucking companies to get some ideas to help you with your project. The dispatchers nowadays have all sorts of information at their disposal regarding each trucks progress, ETA, current location, and real time video from the trucks.

DanO - 9-21-2007 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Quote:

It provides a free refill if your ice melts prematurely. However; there are exceptions.

Quote:

It only covers melting due to extreme temperature, not direct sunlight exposure.

Most of my drinking is done indoors anyway.
Quote:

Also, it only remains valid for a period of 15 minutes after the drink is mixed, not served. Melting "implies" that 70% of ice has turned to water within the 15 minute time period.

Not a problem. If it takes me longer than 15 minutes to drink a margarita, something is very, very wrong.
Quote:

The coverage is void on leap years and within 2 days of any full moon, with the exception of a blue moon.

Wow, I'd better get those dates into my Blackberry calendar.
Quote:

Coverage must be pre-paid at time of ordering the drink in the form of a tip to the bartender and cost no less than the cost of the margarita itself.

This is insurance? I think I may have another word for it. Let's see, bartender pockets exorbitant 100% tip and replaces "defective" drink with new drink paid for by bar owner (who likely has no clue that this is happening, other than wow, what the hell is going on with my pour cost?!). You aren't by any chance a bartender, are you? I'll bet you've figured out how to make the ice melt faster too.
Quote:

If you are still reading this please go drink a margarita and forget the insurance; just buy the person to the left of you a drink instead.

The only other person in the room is me, so I'm buying myself one. Cheap bastard, aren't I?
Quote:

I hope that cleared things up. :lol:

Crystal.

Mango - 9-21-2007 at 04:41 PM

Quote:

This is insurance? I think I may have another word for it. Let's see, bartender pockets exorbitant 100% tip and replaces "defective" drink with new drink paid for by bar owner (who likely has no clue that this is happening, other than wow, what the hell is going on with my pour cost?!). You aren't by any chance a bartender, are you? I'll bet you've figured out how to make the ice melt faster too.

Nope, not I'm not a bartender; but, I know a few. ;) I was just merely pricing my margarita insurance high enough to cover my costs and allow me to make a small profit in case someone took me up on it.

I'm thinking of having my lobbyists pander to Washington to make it a requirement that everyone must purchase insurance for their drinks before ordering.

All joking aside. I'm a cheap bastard too. But, I'll purchase insurance for at least one drink of yours if we ever happen to be "neighbors" at a bar.

However, tonight I'm off to the Mexicali beer fest! My insurance for this is a taxi. :D

Minnow - 9-21-2007 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
All around I think your idea is pretty neat, and I am sure Mom's everywhere would love it. It's just a matter of time until you can be contacted anywhere. You might check into some of the software and hardware systems currently in use by long distance trucking companies to get some ideas to help you with your project. The dispatchers nowadays have all sorts of information at their disposal regarding each trucks progress, ETA, current location, and real time video from the trucks.

High end golf courses also use GPS to track the players on the course. If they arn't moving fast enough they sic the ranger on them.