BajaNomad

DMV registration for car in baja

gnukid - 9-27-2007 at 10:16 AM

I write today to celebrate a DMV success story. I visited the DMV in San Mateo California and brought the paperwork on a 1985 vehicle I have in baja with expired tags. I got the car registered with my BCS address and was given a smog exemption and new tags to be current. FYI you must maintain US vehicle insurance on all vehicles in mexico to maintain registration, is what they said.

Here's what I understood, from now on all US plated vehicles must have US insurance policies electrically on file fro the Insurer whether they expect to return or not. If the INS expires the reg will be automatically suspended. If you live in BCS you can declare that smog is not required and it would be a burden to you to return the vehicle for smog inspection, especially for an area/jurisdiction that does not require smog.

Whats more complicated is your mexican insurance is not valid if your US reg is not valid.

They key to my success was patience and never losing my cool, I stood there like I had all year to wait, it took about 1.5 hours in total for the whole thing to go down and many books were consulted as were phone calls to higher ups made. Now I'm smog exempt on all BCS vehicles and legallay insured wherever I go.

[Edited on 9-27-2007 by gnukid]

edinnopolo - 9-27-2007 at 10:58 AM

We've had our Ca. registered vehicles in Baja for years. Do not have to be smogged, get the exemption, and to get the registration renewed, all that is required is proof of insurance.
Our Mexican insurance has always been accepted.

CP - 9-27-2007 at 11:49 AM

Hi Ed,
Your Mexican Auto insurance has been accepted by CA DMV for renewing registration? I find myself in a viscous circle of not wanting to pay US insurance on a vehicle which is permanantly in BCS (we cannot afford the tariff to import it yet), and it needs valid US reg in order to get our MEX insurance (a must) and to renew our US (CA) Reg we need to have CA insurance...
We do have exemption from smog test.
Boy if we could use our Mexican policy to renew CA reg I would be very very happy!
Please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.
Thanks. - CP

Mango - 9-27-2007 at 12:06 PM

Does anyone know the law regarding a Mexican national owning a CA plated vehicle? I see CA plated cars here in Mexicali all the time; but, I suspect that many are owned by Mexicans and maybe uninsured. Just curious.

Good info gnukid. Thanks

Hook - 9-27-2007 at 12:10 PM

I'd swear that someone, maybe JZ, came across a CAL DMV form that allows you an exemption on the US insurance, too. I know this is rather commonly done by Arizonans through their DMV.

But the vehicle cannot return to the US w/o insurance.

bajalou - 9-27-2007 at 12:27 PM

Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

:light:

edinnopolo - 9-27-2007 at 12:42 PM

CP
My wife,Skymedbarbara, will elaborate momentarely.
Patience:lol::lol:

Hook - 9-27-2007 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

Yeah, Lou, and it sure wont hurt to get out from under Cal's exhorbitant licensing fees. I have an 8 year old diesel truck and the registration is still over 300.00/year.

SkyMedBarbara - 9-27-2007 at 12:49 PM

I just went thru registering 2 vehicals in Callif. They are both in Loreto. You need Mexican Insurance, a form called Statement of Facts and the registration fee, no smog required. They mailed the renewal forms to me here in Loreto and then the stickers after processing. They can use a P. O. Box in Mexico.
(916 229-0411) Jo-A Anne Crouch, Manager 1, Sacramento Buisness Depot Telephone Service Center. She can set anyone you deal with at DMV straight. Everything was done by Skype and mail. Barbara

DENNIS - 9-27-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edinnopolo
We've had our Ca. registered vehicles in Baja for years. Do not have to be smogged, get the exemption, and to get the registration renewed, all that is required is proof of insurance.

I thought Cal quit giving the smog exemption for cars garaged outside of the state.....??????

SkyMedBarbara - 9-27-2007 at 12:54 PM

Here is an 800 number for Jo-Ann Crouch..800-777-0133..
I just renued and no smog required.

bajalou - 9-27-2007 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Yeah, Lou, and it sure wont hurt to get out from under Cal's exorbitant licensing fees. I have an 8 year old diesel truck and the registration is still over 300.00/year.

Right you are, and since I use Drivers License insurance instead of individual vehicle policies, the more expensive Calif. way wouldn't work anyway.

I can get US insurance online if I decide to bring any of the vehicles into the US.

vandenberg - 9-27-2007 at 02:02 PM

Lou,
Drivers license insurance?:?::?:That's a new one on me. Can you elaborate.:?::?:
And maybe give us some contacts and sddresses.:?::?:

CaboRon - 9-27-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Lou,
Drivers license insurance?:?::?:That's a new one on me. Can you elaborate.:?::?:
And maybe give us some contacts and sddresses.:?::?:

Quite common... runs about 80 dollars US a year... covers liability and medical on any US plated vehicle you drive.... very bare bones policy..... you can contact DiscoverBaja or Vagabundos for a phone quote on these policies.

CaboRon

Go South Dakota !!!

CaboRon - 9-27-2007 at 02:20 PM

Quote:

Yes,
I also transferred title to South Dakota......... very simple.... and you deal with real people who answer their own phone !!!!! Amazing...... much nicer than ca beurocrats (sic) ........ Had my plates and tags about ten days after mailing in the forms.

- CaboRon

Count me too!

BMG - 9-27-2007 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:

Yes,
I also transferred title to South Dakota......... very simple.... and you deal with real people who answer their own phone !!!!! Amazing...... much nicer than ca beurocrats (sic) ........ Had my plates and tags about ten days after mailing in the forms.

- CaboRon

Thanks to bajalou, we now have SD plates on the Blazer. Bought it in CA. Licensed/titled it in SD. Registered address in AZ. Driver's license from ID. Driving it in BCS. I don't think anyone will ever figure out where we hang our hats!

It was very refreshing talking to someone at the DMV that is actually pleasant to talk to. The whole process was easy and done through the mail.

[Edited on 9-27-2007 by BMG]

BajaWarrior - 9-27-2007 at 05:04 PM

We converted both of our full time Baja trucks to an Off Road Use Only (green sticker for Ca.) Our registration went down to $22 per two years each vehicle, and never a smog now. Of course these are older vehicles (88' Toyota 4x4 and an 85' Bronco ll 4x4) that are strictly used for the beach and desert. When I need to transport them home for maintenence or upgrades, either truck rides on my triple axle 20' flatbed trailer back home.

I tried the DMV variance regarding the smog, registration, insurance, and they said the vehicles would have to be over 600 miles south into Mexico, which I am not.

The option I chose works percectly for me and my situation. Those trucks will always be used in Baja.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by BajaWarrior]

longlegsinlapaz - 9-27-2007 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Does anyone know the law regarding a Mexican national owning a CA plated vehicle? I see CA plated cars here in Mexicali all the time; but, I suspect that many are owned by Mexicans and maybe uninsured. Just curious.

Good info gnukid. Thanks

Mango: the basic rule of thumb is Mexican plates require Mexican drivers license & USA plates requires USA drivers license. To the best of my knowledge, a Mexican with a Mexican DL can only....LEGALLY....drive a USA plated vehicle if the registered owner is in the car! If you let a Mexican licensed friend drive your USA plated vehicle alone, it can be confiscated!

EVERYONE ELSE: Why play all these complicated licensing games....if the vehicle is going to reside in Mexico, then bite the bullet & import it! No need for smog exemptions & all that other folderal! Anything over 5 years old can be imported for $1,000-1,300; fee is based on blue book value. The older the vehicle, the lower the cost.

bajalou - 9-27-2007 at 10:01 PM

Some of us have vehicles that can NOT be imported into Mexico legally. And isn't there a limit on how old a vehicle can be to be imported?

BMG - 9-28-2007 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz

EVERYONE ELSE: Why play all these complicated licensing games....if the vehicle is going to reside in Mexico, then bite the bullet & import it! No need for smog exemptions & all that other folderal! Anything over 5 years old can be imported for $1,000-1,300; fee is based on blue book value. The older the vehicle, the lower the cost.

I did look at this option. When I was informed about the SD option it seemed like the way to go. Less than $40 a year. No smog. No insurance requirements. No residency requirements. Easy to do. Just called them up to get a price, downloaded a single sheet form and mailed it to them with a check. Received my new plates and title quickly and that was it. (Cool looking plates, too!) I have never licensed a vehicle in MX but I would suspect it's not as easy as this was. Haven't seen any downside yet.

Look for a silver Blazer with SD plates driving around town sometime around the middle of the month. (Usually quite noticeable as it will be likely going the wrong way down one way streets and flying over topes due to driver inattention.)

SD Registration/Mexican drivers

rob - 9-28-2007 at 08:35 AM

Could you confirm - all it takes to register my vehicle in South Dakota is a phone call? No local address requirement?

Seems too straightforward after CA and WA.

Other point. This appears to be one of (the many) Mexican urban myths. I do believe it is illegal for a Mexican national to drive a foreign-plated vehicle - PERIOD. No written permissions, presence of owner etc etc . ..

I am going to ask my lawyer to cite the exact Mexican federal law for us, as I have heard this down the years (I have also seen a large sign on the San Ysidro side of the border on Hwy 5 stating the above.

Bajajorge - 9-28-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:

:light: [/quote

Lou, wasn't there a horror story floating around San Felipe a couple of months ago about a South Dakota registered vehicle? Seems the guy was driving around in California and got his vehicle impounded with a $5000.00 fine. The South Dakota registration thing sounds like straight up fraud to me.

bajalou - 9-28-2007 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Lou, wasn't there a horror story floating around San Felipe a couple of months ago about a South Dakota registered vehicle? Seems the guy was driving around in California and got his vehicle impounded with a $5000.00 fine. The South Dakota registration thing sounds like straight up fraud to me.

Never heard about that $5000.00 fine thing, but if you are living and working in Calif. with the vehicle you might not want to do it.

On a San Felipe forum there was a guy that had a business of mail forwarding etc. that was warning everyone that the state couldn't do what it does, but that's all I've heard about. He was promoting use of his business to get SD residency.

I personally don't believe the state of South Dakota is doing anything fraudulent. The plates are issued by the county treasurers office and the title comes from the state DMV in the capital of the state.

And rob - just call and they will give you the straight scoop. No use wondering if we are lying to you when we post what we know.:?:

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by bajalou]

CaboRon - 9-28-2007 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

:light: [/quote

Bajajorge,

This is for people who are going to keep their vehichles in Mexico.... not for people to drive around CA.....
You can't do this if you are living in California....then it's just a dodge to state statutes which require you to retitle a vehicle within 30 days of moving to this state.

But if you are living and driving in Baja there is no problem....
This Is NOT A Fraud ...
I have South Dakota plates on my Bronco as it is moving permanently to La Paz next week.

- CaboRon
Darn I'm in the box:tumble:

Mango - 9-28-2007 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:

Mango: the basic rule of thumb is Mexican plates require Mexican drivers license & USA plates requires USA drivers license. To the best of my knowledge, a Mexican with a Mexican DL can only....LEGALLY....drive a USA plated vehicle if the registered owner is in the car! If you let a Mexican licensed friend drive your USA plated vehicle alone, it can be confiscated!

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Other point. This appears to be one of (the many) Mexican urban myths. I do believe it is illegal for a Mexican national to drive a foreign-plated vehicle - PERIOD. No written permissions, presence of owner etc etc . ..

I am going to ask my lawyer to cite the exact Mexican federal law for us, as I have heard this down the years (I have also seen a large sign on the San Ysidro side of the border on Hwy 5 stating the above.

I just see a ton of old beater CA plated cars driving around here in Mexicali. I am pretty sure they were not imported legally and I am pretty sure the people driving them are not US citizens. Conversely, I see a lot of nice new CA plated cars parked in the neighborhoods around here that are driven by Mexicans too. I'd think the newer cars would be more legit; but, who knows.

Just curious. Mi novia is a Mexican national and she needs to learn how to drive. I'd like to get her an old beater for said purpose. I know my insurance will not cover her in my car. I am on an FMT and only allowed one car when I am here so I'd like to just put it in her name, etc. I am not sure if she needs a Mexican plated car or if we could also look at CA plated cars too.

I've even seen a few cars, commercial trucks mostly, with CA and BC plates.

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to hear what your lawyer says.

Bajajorge - 9-28-2007 at 12:35 PM

Someone from the Mexican DMV in San Felipe put out word a couple of years ago that an off road vehicle(sand rail, dune buggy, baja buggy etc) needs only proof of ownership, valid insurance for Mexico and a license plate(any license plate) to be legal in the San Felipe area. But, not legal if taken out of the SF area. Driving around the SF area I can agree with that statement. Probably 25% of the vehicles have no registration, no license plates and who knows which are legal or not. I'm talking both Mexican and gringo vehicles.
My tow vehicle and 5th wheel are Nevada legally registered to the tune of almost $1000.00 per year. My baja car is San Felipe legal and stays there year round. US Customs would probably have the big one if I tried to cross the border with it.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Bajajorge]

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
just see a ton of old beater CA plated cars driving around here in Mexicali. I am pretty sure they were not imported legally
I've even seen a few cars, commercial trucks mostly, with CA and BC plates.

If they still have Ca plates, old vehicle or newer, it's almost certain the vehicle hasn't been imported. Here in Ensenada, there are about a million Segundas. The trucks that cross over on a weekly basis to aquire inventory have both plates. Probably the same in Mexicali.

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Someone from the Mexican DMV in San Felipe put out word a couple of years ago that an off road vehicle(sand rail, dune buggy, baja buggy etc) needs only proof of ownership, valid insurance for Mexico and a license plate(any license plate) to be legal in the San Felipe area.
[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Bajajorge]

I was under the impression that car insurance was not required in Mexico, only a good idea especially for foreigners. Insurance for the average José on the streets is cost prohibitive. That's why "Hit 'n Run" is so popular.

Mango - 9-28-2007 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If they still have Ca plates, old vehicle or newer, it's almost certain the vehicle hasn't been imported. Here in Ensenada, there are about a million Segundas. The trucks that cross over on a weekly basis to aquire inventory have both plates. Probably the same in Mexicali.

Dennis, what do you mean by "Segundas"?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I was under the impression that car insurance was not required in Mexico, only a good idea especially for foreigners. Insurance for the average José on the streets is cost prohibitive. That's why "Hit 'n Run" is so popular.

That was what I have heard and read in the past as well.

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 07:24 PM

Segunda........ A second hand store.

CaboRon - 9-28-2007 at 08:07 PM

Auto insurance is not required in Mexico....

BIG HOWEVER.....
If you are involved in an accident you will be held until all parties are satisfied...... If you have insurance you will be walking free while this is resolved.

So even if you aren't required to carry coverage ..... you are still responsible financially and you had better be insured if you don't want to spend time in the chiller.

- CaboRon

Mango - 9-28-2007 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Auto insurance is not required in Mexico....

BIG HOWEVER.....
If you are involved in an accident you will be held until all parties are satisfied...... If you have insurance you will be walking free while this is resolved.

So even if you aren't required to carry coverage ..... you are still responsible financially and you had better be insured if you don't want to spend time in the chiller.

- CaboRon

Yep, thats how I have read it in the past as well. Believe me, my choice is insurance.

gnukid - 9-29-2007 at 01:57 AM

Bajalou,
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles, so they can try to stiff you if you crash in an out of date tag vehicle. I buy dl ins for mex $80=year but I need my cars plated with current tags. In this california's new laws are improved for us nomads.

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles

DL insurance, as we all know, is reserved for visitors with a foreign drivers license. It isn't for resident expats although we all know that residents have it. The company I buy from requires a stateside address. Mexican locals with a Baja license can't get it. Keep that in mind when involved in a wreck. You're just visiting.

I love South Dakota

nobaddays - 9-29-2007 at 06:31 AM

I sent in my fees of 22 dollars for my jeep in BCS. Thanks for the tip. No more buying stickers for 30 dollars in cabo and losing them to the carwash boys !!!!

bajalou - 9-29-2007 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Bajalou,
Driver's license insurance in mexico is valid for currently registered vehicles, so they can try to stiff you if you crash in an out of date tag vehicle. I buy dl ins for mex $80=year but I need my cars plated with current tags. In this california's new laws are improved for us nomads.

That's why I like SD's lower rates to register and not having to have US insurance on the vehicles.

Mexrick - 10-2-2007 at 08:53 PM

I fought CA DMV for years regarding the smog/insurance hassle. Finally imported my '94 Bronco, got Mexican insurance and sleep like a baby!

Bob and Susan - 10-3-2007 at 06:11 AM

so mexrick...tell us how you imported the bronco and the costs

wornout - 10-3-2007 at 01:07 PM

I live in San Felipe, I had two vehicles registered in SD after talking to bajalou on a dune buggy outing. Last March, I went to the CA DMV in Imperial County (Smog Exempt County) with my one day insurance policy (as I had done the last 5 years). I renewed, was handed my tags. It was AFTER this transaction was completed, and I was prepared to leave, that the DMV agent told me my tags would expire in 30 days unless my insurance company electronically notified them of annual coverage (This is the change a few have indicated earlier in the thread). I asked for a refund. I was told where the form is online that I had to submit for a refund. I sent in the form and the next day called SD. The third vehicle was then registered for about half the cost of CA. I received the plates a couple weeks after that and had over paid. There was two 1 dollar bills between the plates when I received them. Gawd I love South Dakota. And I am really sorry for your loss California, you have run off yet another customer.

BMG - 10-3-2007 at 02:54 PM

I bought a cargo trailer and just yesterday received the registration paper and plate for it. Now I have SD plates and title on both car and trailer listing my AZ business address.

DENNIS - 10-3-2007 at 03:55 PM

Sounds like South Dakota is the Caymen Islands of car registration. How long will it last?

nobaddays - 10-4-2007 at 07:48 PM

my plates showed up today ! less then one week !!!

joel - 10-6-2007 at 07:43 PM

Just so I'm clear about what is happening with those of you registering in South Dakota:

1) You are telling the DMV person in South Dakota that you live in California and want to register your car in South Dakota?

2) Your SD title and registration lists a California address.

3) Some of you are buying U.S. insurance in South Dakota so that your Mexican insurance will provide you with full coverage, including loss and theft?

Thanks,

Joel

bajalou - 10-6-2007 at 08:01 PM

Joel --YES

El Jefe - 10-7-2007 at 10:53 AM

I assume you need copy of the title of the vehicle in question send to SD. Correct? What other paperwork might they need besides current registration?

CA DMV told me last week that it would be the last time they would allow me to register the jeep we keep in BCS. Would have to import next time. We may do that or the SD thing. got a year to figure it out now.:biggrin:

bajalou - 10-7-2007 at 12:30 PM

"Original" title if you want a new SD title. Application for the transfer (available online), US Social Security number, US address to receive plates etc. and check for registration amount.

go to www.claycountysd.org - Treasurers office, call their number and they'll tell you the amount to send. Easy

twogringos - 10-8-2007 at 11:02 AM

CA tags must be hard to get, the 2008 tags were pealed off our car last night. Got stopped by the La Paz police today but all was OK with the registration and a little thread of the '05 sticker over the top of the '04.

vandenberg - 10-8-2007 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by twogringos
CA tags must be hard to get, the 2008 tags were pealed off our car last night. Got stopped by the La Paz police today but all was OK with the registration and a little thread of the '05 sticker over the top of the '04.

Learned in Sacramento years ago to slice the tags zig-zag many times with a razorblade so they can't be removed but in slivers.

gnukid - 10-8-2007 at 01:14 PM

get bolt on license plate covers with clear plastic covers and alan wrench screw heads! They can't get your plates or tags.