Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: DMV registration for car in baja
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:16 AM
DMV registration for car in baja

I write today to celebrate a DMV success story. I visited the DMV in San Mateo California and brought the paperwork on a 1985 vehicle I have in baja with expired tags. I got the car registered with my BCS address and was given a smog exemption and new tags to be current. FYI you must maintain US vehicle insurance on all vehicles in mexico to maintain registration, is what they said.

Here's what I understood, from now on all US plated vehicles must have US insurance policies electrically on file fro the Insurer whether they expect to return or not. If the INS expires the reg will be automatically suspended. If you live in BCS you can declare that smog is not required and it would be a burden to you to return the vehicle for smog inspection, especially for an area/jurisdiction that does not require smog.

Whats more complicated is your mexican insurance is not valid if your US reg is not valid.

They key to my success was patience and never losing my cool, I stood there like I had all year to wait, it took about 1.5 hours in total for the whole thing to go down and many books were consulted as were phone calls to higher ups made. Now I'm smog exempt on all BCS vehicles and legallay insured wherever I go.

[Edited on 9-27-2007 by gnukid]

edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:58 AM

We've had our Ca. registered vehicles in Baja for years. Do not have to be smogged, get the exemption, and to get the registration renewed, all that is required is proof of insurance.
Our Mexican insurance has always been accepted.
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 11:49 AM

Hi Ed,
Your Mexican Auto insurance has been accepted by CA DMV for renewing registration? I find myself in a viscous circle of not wanting to pay US insurance on a vehicle which is permanantly in BCS (we cannot afford the tariff to import it yet), and it needs valid US reg in order to get our MEX insurance (a must) and to renew our US (CA) Reg we need to have CA insurance...
We do have exemption from smog test.
Boy if we could use our Mexican policy to renew CA reg I would be very very happy!
Please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.
Thanks. - CP
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:06 PM

Does anyone know the law regarding a Mexican national owning a CA plated vehicle? I see CA plated cars here in Mexicali all the time; but, I suspect that many are owned by Mexicans and maybe uninsured. Just curious.

Good info gnukid. Thanks
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:10 PM

I'd swear that someone, maybe JZ, came across a CAL DMV form that allows you an exemption on the US insurance, too. I know this is rather commonly done by Arizonans through their DMV.

But the vehicle cannot return to the US w/o insurance.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:27 PM

Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

:light:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:42 PM

CP
My wife,Skymedbarbara, will elaborate momentarely.
Patience:lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Calif has new rules regarding insurance coverage. What used to be accepted no longer works. Why not register in a state that will not require proof of insurance unless on US highways? I have my Baja vehicles registered in South Dakota. What is required is a social security number and a US address to mail plates etc to. A very easy and inexpensive solution to the problem.

Go to "treasurers office" for info and forms. Takes a call to get rates but some of the most helpful people I've ever talked to.

Yeah, Lou, and it sure wont hurt to get out from under Cal's exhorbitant licensing fees. I have an 8 year old diesel truck and the registration is still over 300.00/year.

SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:49 PM

I just went thru registering 2 vehicals in Callif. They are both in Loreto. You need Mexican Insurance, a form called Statement of Facts and the registration fee, no smog required. They mailed the renewal forms to me here in Loreto and then the stickers after processing. They can use a P. O. Box in Mexico.
(916 229-0411) Jo-A Anne Crouch, Manager 1, Sacramento Buisness Depot Telephone Service Center. She can set anyone you deal with at DMV straight. Everything was done by Skype and mail. Barbara
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edinnopolo
We've had our Ca. registered vehicles in Baja for years. Do not have to be smogged, get the exemption, and to get the registration renewed, all that is required is proof of insurance.

I thought Cal quit giving the smog exemption for cars garaged outside of the state.....??????
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:54 PM

Here is an 800 number for Jo-Ann Crouch..800-777-0133..
I just renued and no smog required.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Yeah, Lou, and it sure wont hurt to get out from under Cal's exorbitant licensing fees. I have an 8 year old diesel truck and the registration is still over 300.00/year.

Right you are, and since I use Drivers License insurance instead of individual vehicle policies, the more expensive Calif. way wouldn't work anyway.

I can get US insurance online if I decide to bring any of the vehicles into the US.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 02:02 PM

Lou,
Drivers license insurance?:?::?:That's a new one on me. Can you elaborate.:?::?:
And maybe give us some contacts and sddresses.:?::?:
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Lou,
Drivers license insurance?:?::?:That's a new one on me. Can you elaborate.:?::?:
And maybe give us some contacts and sddresses.:?::?:

Quite common... runs about 80 dollars US a year... covers liability and medical on any US plated vehicle you drive.... very bare bones policy..... you can contact DiscoverBaja or Vagabundos for a phone quote on these policies.

CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

thumbup.gif posted on 9-27-2007 at 02:20 PM
Go South Dakota !!!

Quote:

Yes,
I also transferred title to South Dakota......... very simple.... and you deal with real people who answer their own phone !!!!! Amazing...... much nicer than ca beurocrats (sic) ........ Had my plates and tags about ten days after mailing in the forms.

- CaboRon

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 02:43 PM
Count me too!

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:

Yes,
I also transferred title to South Dakota......... very simple.... and you deal with real people who answer their own phone !!!!! Amazing...... much nicer than ca beurocrats (sic) ........ Had my plates and tags about ten days after mailing in the forms.

- CaboRon

Thanks to bajalou, we now have SD plates on the Blazer. Bought it in CA. Licensed/titled it in SD. Registered address in AZ. Driver's license from ID. Driving it in BCS. I don't think anyone will ever figure out where we hang our hats!

It was very refreshing talking to someone at the DMV that is actually pleasant to talk to. The whole process was easy and done through the mail.

[Edited on 9-27-2007 by BMG]

I think the world is run by C- students.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 05:04 PM

We converted both of our full time Baja trucks to an Off Road Use Only (green sticker for Ca.) Our registration went down to $22 per two years each vehicle, and never a smog now. Of course these are older vehicles (88' Toyota 4x4 and an 85' Bronco ll 4x4) that are strictly used for the beach and desert. When I need to transport them home for maintenence or upgrades, either truck rides on my triple axle 20' flatbed trailer back home.

I tried the DMV variance regarding the smog, registration, insurance, and they said the vehicles would have to be over 600 miles south into Mexico, which I am not.

The option I chose works percectly for me and my situation. Those trucks will always be used in Baja.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Does anyone know the law regarding a Mexican national owning a CA plated vehicle? I see CA plated cars here in Mexicali all the time; but, I suspect that many are owned by Mexicans and maybe uninsured. Just curious.

Good info gnukid. Thanks

Mango: the basic rule of thumb is Mexican plates require Mexican drivers license & USA plates requires USA drivers license. To the best of my knowledge, a Mexican with a Mexican DL can only....LEGALLY....drive a USA plated vehicle if the registered owner is in the car! If you let a Mexican licensed friend drive your USA plated vehicle alone, it can be confiscated!

EVERYONE ELSE: Why play all these complicated licensing games....if the vehicle is going to reside in Mexico, then bite the bullet & import it! No need for smog exemptions & all that other folderal! Anything over 5 years old can be imported for $1,000-1,300; fee is based on blue book value. The older the vehicle, the lower the cost.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:01 PM

Some of us have vehicles that can NOT be imported into Mexico legally. And isn't there a limit on how old a vehicle can be to be imported?

No Bad Days

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz

EVERYONE ELSE: Why play all these complicated licensing games....if the vehicle is going to reside in Mexico, then bite the bullet & import it! No need for smog exemptions & all that other folderal! Anything over 5 years old can be imported for $1,000-1,300; fee is based on blue book value. The older the vehicle, the lower the cost.

I did look at this option. When I was informed about the SD option it seemed like the way to go. Less than $40 a year. No smog. No insurance requirements. No residency requirements. Easy to do. Just called them up to get a price, downloaded a single sheet form and mailed it to them with a check. Received my new plates and title quickly and that was it. (Cool looking plates, too!) I have never licensed a vehicle in MX but I would suspect it's not as easy as this was. Haven't seen any downside yet.

Look for a silver Blazer with SD plates driving around town sometime around the middle of the month. (Usually quite noticeable as it will be likely going the wrong way down one way streets and flying over topes due to driver inattention.)

I think the world is run by C- students.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.