BajaNomad

Beers of the Baja

Pages:  1  

Boshvideo - 9-28-2007 at 11:24 AM

After being back home in Philly for more then a month now, I had a taste for a nice cold Pacifico. The "beer stores" here have Pacifico for $30 bucks (USD) a 12 pack. (not 24)
Can any Nomads north if TJ tell me if this is the "normal" price? I'd also be interested in prices for any of the other brands I sampled while in the Baja.
Many thanks.

The Wonderer - 9-28-2007 at 11:38 AM

Pacifico $20-25/ case, with CA redemption.
Case = 24-12 oz bottles

bajajudy - 9-28-2007 at 11:55 AM

One case, 24 bottles(now with 9% more), with free ice.....$150pesos

Sorry! I couldnt resist:P

Mexitron - 9-28-2007 at 12:40 PM

Sounds like a ripoff in Philly to me--here in Fort Worth, TX, Pacificos are about the same price as CA--around $6-8 a six-pack....yah, yah, yah bajajudy--rub it in!!!:lol:

Hook - 9-28-2007 at 12:54 PM

Just wait for the Rite-Aid sale.........do you have Rite-Aid's in Philly?

This week it's 20 packs of 12 oz bottles of Tecate for 13.99.

Pacifico sales will come.

Best Beer

motoged - 9-28-2007 at 12:56 PM

Nomads,
I am interested in hearing from others what their preferred beers are..... I prefer an "oscura" or darker beer such as Indio, Buen Nocha, Dos Equis Amber, Negro Modello....

But Tecate follows up closely (not only for the benefit of a free sample at the Tecate location brewery...and for other sentimental reasons).....

I am not particularly fond of Corona or Pacifico.....but when in need.....

Other tastes???

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 01:05 PM

Your list it the same order fits my taste perfectly. For daytime beer drinking Corona.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by comitan]

Hook - 9-28-2007 at 01:22 PM

Depends on my activity and the heat of the day. You wont find me drinking darker beers during hot, daytime activities. For those I prefer Tecate, Dos Equis Clara, Carta Blanca.

I switch to the others towards the evening.........prefer Negro Modelo and the Ambar. Bohemia has gotten kinda wimpy for evenings........just changing tastes.

Pacifico seems to vary in taste more than any Mexican beer I have had. Probably issues in transportation or storage.

Corona is my last resort. It's the only beer that really REQUIRES a lime to rid it of the aftertaste. I think the whole lime tradition comes from a need to improve Corona, since it is so popular. But I occasionally drink a Tecate with lime.

I wont drink Sol or Chihuahua. Worse than Corona for my tastes.

bajaboolie - 9-28-2007 at 01:27 PM

I'm a Negro Modelo kinda gal. For a lighter beer mood, I usually go for Pacifico.

Cypress - 9-28-2007 at 02:14 PM

Bohemia is my favorite.:bounce:

Mexitron - 9-28-2007 at 02:21 PM

Modelo has been on sale here and has been great in the summer heat--very light beer. I used to like the Corona I bought in Mex(not the stuff they sell in the U.S.--different bottling they say) but got tired of breaking bottles on the rough roads so switched mostly to Tecate in cans down there--which for me is essential to have with lime and salt! Pacifico is awesome--we usually buy a few Ballenas in summertime. As others have said--the darker beers are best for colder weather.

rts551 - 9-28-2007 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I used to like the Corona I bought in Mex(not the stuff they sell in the U.S.--different bottling they say)

Was told at the Tecate factory a couple of years ago that almost all Mexican beer is processed differently for export.

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 02:35 PM

Hook...you concept of time is the same as mine...dark heavy beers are for relaxing...my everyday beer is Pacifico. I enjoy dark beers of most brewers, but when it come to Tecate there is to much bite...Hops they use are weird to my taste buds.
When I have had a hard days night I use Corona as a mouth wash for a couple of beers to uncoat my taste buds again:lol::lol::lol:
Beer variety is what life is about period......:cool:

Dave - 9-28-2007 at 02:36 PM

Tijuana beer. Best beer in Mexico.

And don't miss the TJ international beer festival, Oct 26-28.

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 02:41 PM

Forgot to say if the beer is free...I don't give a damn what the name is on the label...remember I accept all offers...:lol::lol::lol:Until:barf:then I may need a Corona...

My Bad

Boshvideo - 9-28-2007 at 02:41 PM

Sorry, I must have posted my mistake as a new topic.
One of the 12 packs was removed from the display. It's $28 (USD) for 24.
All's good in the City of Brotherly Love. Havin' a cold one right now.
have a great weekend
Boshvideo

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 02:43 PM

Now we're talking important stuff. At my local cerveceria I walk in and say "MAS AGUA" por favor. A case of 24 Pacificos is 150 pesos with a case of empties, it recently went up from a 120 something.

BUT, remember, they are 325 milliliter bottles, which is shade under 11 ounces. So a case of 24 is really 22 12 ouncers to us gringos.

At least I think I got the arithmetic right.

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by oldhippie]

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Now we're talking important stuff. At my local cerveceria I walk in and say "MAS AQUA" por favor. A case of 24 Pacificos is 150 pesos with a case of empties, it recently went up from a 120 something.

BUT, remember, they are 325 milliliter bottles, which is shade under 11 ounces. So a case of 24 is really 22 12 ouncers to us gringos.

At least I think I got the arithmetic right.

Well now I know why I drink so many Pacifico in Baja....:biggrin:

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 02:48 PM

Hippie

I read your posts and possibly learn, now your talking beer and measure this is something I know something about, Now a Pacifico has 355ml, and there is 24 bottles to the case and I still only pay 134 pesos.:lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 9-28-2007 at 02:51 PM

BTW, is anyone else entertained by the latest Dos Equis ad campaign featuring the "worlds most interesting man"?

From an ad standpoint, I think it's pretty damn clever, especially using the old newsreel style and some of the heroic scenarios. Certainly Hemingway-esque.

The ad firm's research says it is in the top 5% of the "most enjoyable ads in US research history".........for whatever that's worth.

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Hippie

I read your posts and possibly learn, now your talking beer and measure this is something I know something about, Now a Pacifico has 355ml, and there is 24 bottles to the case and I still only pay 134 pesos.:lol::lol::lol:

Well that's enough reason for me to move to La Paz. I'm looking at the line-up of dead soldiers I killed for breakfast.

Pacifico Clara

CONT. NET. 325ml

I'm going to have a talk with la vieja at the store when I go on my second beer run today. (((((hic))))))

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 02:58 PM

OPPS...another "I forgot something story...
My local Deposito (Concord) store is 19.99 for Pacifico 24 12oz. plus crv everyday...they keep a pile of cases over in the corner just for me...
I have been seeing Corona @ 21.99 lately...their sales are like 2 days long...beats me why they think it is worth so much..

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 03:02 PM

Al

Corona has to pay for the advertising, all those pretty girl ads.

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 03:10 PM

Have you guys tried Tecate Lite? It's pretty good in a pinch and there's only an OXXO around. 100 p for a twelve pack - pricey.

Like all T-K-T though, it's gotta be cold, and the "Lite" cans don't make good road side reflectors for breakdowns at night like the regular T-K-T cans.

Mexitron - 9-28-2007 at 03:17 PM

Mmmmm...just popped open a Shiner Bock(its officially Fall now!); tastes like an earthy Pacifico, not bad!

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Have you guys tried Tecate Lite? It's pretty good in a pinch and there's only an OXXO around. 100 p for a twelve pack - pricey.

I posted to this TKT Lite topic a couple of weeks ago but, I'll mention it again.
Peter Rowe writes a "Beer" article for the SD Union. He grades specialty brewerys as well as others. He didn't have a grade low enough to apply to TKT Lite. He couldn't understand why it would be called Cerveza. As I read his review, I was drinking one.

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Al

Corona has to pay for the advertising, all those pretty girl ads.

OK now it is worth it...they should give free tickets for a ride...what do you think:biggrin:

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I posted to this TKT Lite topic a couple of weeks ago but, I'll mention it again.
Peter Rowe writes a "Beer" article for the SD Union. He grades specialty brewerys as well as others. He didn't have a grade low enough to apply to TKT Lite. He couldn't understand why it would be called Cerveza. As I read his review, I was drinking one.

It's really not that bad. Of course I was Coors Lite drinker before I moved to Mexico and grew my hair on one side of my head long enough to do a comb over. ;)

Al G - 9-28-2007 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's really not that bad. Of course I was Coors Lite drinker before I moved to Mexico and grew my hair on one side of my head long enough to do a comb over. ;)

Remember that is called a roof flap now...check NASCAR:biggrin:

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 03:32 PM

Quote:

Of course I was Coors Lite drinker before I moved to Mexico and grew my hair on one side of my head long enough to do a comb over. ;)

Have you noticed the similiarity of TKT Lite and Coors Lite cans? Identical untill you get up close. I saw them side by side at the store.

bajajudy - 9-28-2007 at 03:44 PM

Back to the question of limes
I order my Pacifico "NFL"

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 03:46 PM

Judy there you go if you like beer NFL.

Boshvideo - 9-28-2007 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Back to the question of limes
I order my Pacifico "NFL"

Judy.... you are so bad.

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 04:21 PM

Micheladas anyone??

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by oldhippie]

bud-chelada-1.jpg - 30kB

bajajudy - 9-28-2007 at 04:25 PM

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 04:30 PM

I dunno, might be pretty good after quaffing 6 or so.

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 04:45 PM

When we have a party down here it seems its always with TKT on tap it goes down sooo easy and tastes good NFL. and non filling.

bancoduo - 9-28-2007 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
I dunno, might be pretty good after quaffing 6 or so.
You might be right, if you like having your stomach pumped.:barf::barf::barf:

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 04:51 PM

Really, I like Micheladas. And Bud Lite is a favorite of my "ex-associates" in zona norte.

DENNIS - 9-28-2007 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Really, I like Micheladas. And Bud Lite is a favorite of my "ex-associates" in zona norte.

I've never had one but, is an original Michelada made with Clamato? I don't think so.

none better....

woody with a view - 9-28-2007 at 04:54 PM

'cept a noche buena........

100_1822 (Small).jpg - 36kB

bancoduo - 9-28-2007 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
my "ex-associates" in zona norte.
Do you care to expound on that.:lol::lol::lol:

comitan - 9-28-2007 at 05:02 PM

Hippie

You move to La Paz, you could relax and not have to drink so much.

Careful

BMG - 9-28-2007 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
'cept a noche buena........

Rub that ice away and a genie pops out!

Genie_Ana_May20_2007.jpg - 37kB

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I've never had one but, is an original Michelada made with Clamato? I don't think so.

Heck, I dunno, I just order 'em and drink 'em. They're red and have beer in them and some spicy stuff too!

oldhippie - 9-28-2007 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Quote:
my "ex-associates" in zona norte.
Do you care to expound on that.:lol::lol::lol:

ha ha, I get it - ex pound, hehehe. No poundin' no more.:cool:

Now I'm really in trouble

BMG - 9-28-2007 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
made with Clamato?

Here we are discussing beer and I find myself is trouble again with the wife!

1. For posting that PhotoShopped picture of her head popping out of a beer bottle.

2. Our on-going argument about how to pronounce Clamato. Now I need help. Is it:

clam-may-toe

or

clam-mah-toe

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

I blame oldhippie for bringing beer additives into this thread.

Bajagypsy - 9-28-2007 at 06:41 PM

We say clam-mah-toe, but we are also canadian eh!:cool:

vacaenbaja - 9-28-2007 at 06:43 PM

In Ecuador,where it is hot and humid one asks for a "Biela" short for Bien helada" Their version of "a cold one"

Cla mah toe

Ricardo - 9-28-2007 at 06:48 PM

I think its pronounced Cla mah toe

Clamato* juice is the integral ingredient in the Caesar c-cktail, a Canadian invention. It was developed in Calgary, Alberta, in 1969 by bartender Walter Chell to mark the opening of a new restaurant "Marco's"

Bajagypsy - 9-28-2007 at 06:50 PM

Of course a Canadian invented the ceasar, our national past time isn't hockey, its drinking:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-29-2007 by Bajagypsy]

Mango - 9-28-2007 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo
I think its pronounced Cla mah toe

Clamato* juice is the integral ingredient in the Caesar c-cktail, a Canadian invention. It was developed in Calgary, Alberta, in 1969 by bartender Walter Chell to mark the opening of a new restaurant "Marco's"

Aye, but I've heard that Clamato itself was invented here in Mexicali by a bartender at Hotel Lucerna, the recipe was stolen by a bar back and made into what is now called Clamato. Wikipedia says otherwise; but, since the work Tomato is actually an Aztec word (Tomatl) I'll give it to the Mexicans. You say Tomato and I'll say Tomatl :lol:

If you use the Spanish pronunciation.. it is Cla mah toh...I'd explain why.. but my Spanish grammar is whacked. Think of it this way.. the locals say.. "eh-migo" or "ah-migo"; but, not "A-migo".

Mango - 9-28-2007 at 08:11 PM

BTW- Just tried the "Noche Buena" here this week. It's good stuff! Gave me some wicked gas though. :wow:

I tend to drink a lot of Tecate Lite in the heat. That reviewer needs to get away from the A/C and out into the real world where real beer drinkers live. ;)

Otherwise. I always love Pacifico. It's a good middle of the road beer. If stranded with no choice I'll drink almost anything except MGD (makes me puke everytime.... give me one on a good day and I'll show you) and Sol tastes about as good as leftover toilet bowl water.. but I can stomach it in a pinch at least.

805gregg - 9-29-2007 at 07:41 AM

What happened? I remember in the early 60's the beer to drink in Baja was Corona, or maybe if you were rico Bohemia. The poor people drank Tecate with lime to make it drinkable. Now it's that Tecate hogwash everywhere. In San Juanico 6 deposito's and only 2 with drinkable beer.

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 07:44 AM

Superior was also popular in the early 60s.

The Gull - 9-29-2007 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
If stranded with no choice I'll drink almost anything except MGD (makes me puke everytime.... give me one on a good day and I'll show you) and Sol tastes about as good as leftover toilet bowl water.. but I can stomach it in a pinch at least.

Suggestion: tip your head back a bit when paying homage to the porcelain god, that way the backsplash doesn't get that leftover toilet bowl water in your mouth.:lol:

Bajaboy - 9-29-2007 at 08:26 AM

While I enjoy Pacifico, Negra Modelo, and others, I still crave a real beer while in Baja. Hence, I often have a stash of Sierra Nevada, Anderson Valley IPA, Red Nectar Ale, or something similar. When we get our place set up in Asuncion and we're there for a few weeks at a time, I will be brewing my own beer on premises.

Yep, sitting on the front porch, listening to Sirius Blues, looking out to the bay with fresh fish on the bbq, and enjoying a cold one....nothing better unless I've got amigos with me.

Zac

Baja&Back - 9-29-2007 at 09:31 AM

Carta Blanca

Best beer brewed in Mexico!

Anyone in Baja know a store where it is sold on a regular basis? We are driving the penninsula in November & will drive >20 miles off Mex 1 to stock up!

:bounce:

bancoduo - 9-29-2007 at 09:40 AM

You can make your own Carta Blanca. Buy some Bud-lite and put a drop of dish soap in every can.:light:

Wingnut - 9-29-2007 at 10:28 AM

OOOH, now you done it. Bud Light rules!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Number one beer in the world. When I drink Mexican beer, give me a Pacifico any day. And yes 805Gregg, in the 60's Bohemia and Superior were very popular. They changed the recipes somewhere along the way and lost popularity. If you can find Bohemia anywhere, I heard it's still halfway decent. On the other end of the spectrum, the only thing worse than Corona, is Sol. That stuff stinks IMHO.:fire::fire::fire:

And how to enjoy it.....

motoged - 9-29-2007 at 10:38 AM

Nomads,
So now we have some idea what beers we prefer....

The manner in which we enjoy them is noteworthy....:lol:

bajajudy - 9-29-2007 at 10:41 AM

Jeez you look cold. BUT well supplied:biggrin:

David K - 9-29-2007 at 10:43 AM

There are other threads on beer in Baja here on Nomad... if you are interested to search them...

Anyone remember XXX (Tres Equis)?

Baja Beers (beers made in Baja) include Mexicali, Tecate, and Tijuana Beer... and Noche Buena at Christmas time.

My favorites are XX Special Lager and Pacifico... In Baja, I like most every beer EXCEPT Corona! Which is funny, because we started drinking Coronas back in the 70's and liked them! Shows you how one matures from age 18 in beer drinking!!

Tecate is good in Baja, but Tecate beer imported to the states is yuck! Pacifico import does taste good, however!

Zac, you can get a case of Tijuana Beer at Costcos in San Diego and they contain the Guera (clear) and Morena (dark) beers made in TJ... They are very good and rich beers that you will enjoy. The brew master is Czeck... we met him on the first tour we took of the facility.

Snacks and a point of reference??

motoged - 9-29-2007 at 10:45 AM

Nomads,
A nomad needs refreshments and bebidas when planning the next day....

one method of washing down a TKT

woody with a view - 9-29-2007 at 10:46 AM

almejas con pico de gallo.....

mmmm (Small).jpg - 34kB

Mexitron - 9-29-2007 at 11:32 AM

Ah yes, the beer condiments, let's see...chips, bag of smoked fish, smoked jalapenos, chiles norteno, smoked oysters, tequila, rum, more rum, Backwoods cigars...yep, just about set!

bajajudy - 9-29-2007 at 12:15 PM

yuck
what is that water doing on the table
certainly you dont plan to drink THAT

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Oh, sure. That was the lighter one of the two. XX was dark. I hope my memory's working today.

bancoduo - 9-29-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Oh, sure. That was the lighter one of the two. XX was dark. I hope my memory's working today.
I think you have it backwards.

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 12:34 PM

Story of my life.

Are you sure about that? Something way back in my memory banks says the opposite.

[Edited on 9-29-2007 by DENNIS]

Hook - 9-29-2007 at 12:40 PM

Actually, I think Dennis is right.

XXX was quite light.......and quite awful, as I recall.

Whereas, the original XX was much stouter, before they began making different ales and lagers.

You're re-writing the story of your life, Dennis!

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I'll give you a signed first edition. You can put it on the shelf with Bernies Bathroom Books.

bancoduo - 9-29-2007 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Story of my life.

Are you sure about that? Something way back in my memory banks says the opposite.

[Edited on 9-29-2007 by DENNIS]
I think I'm right, but I do have a few leaks in my memory banks.:?:

Mexitron - 9-29-2007 at 01:16 PM

Quote:

Whereas, the original XX was much stouter, before they began making different ales and lagers.

You're right--I remember XX almost having a molasses taste. I can get it on tap at the local TexMex but its more carbonated and watery now.

bancoduo - 9-29-2007 at 01:17 PM

I remember now!

There was Dos XX light & XX dark "amber" Tres XXX had a golden pee color.:lol:

Mexitron - 9-29-2007 at 01:18 PM

Think I'll make it a thousand posts on the beer thread--here goes!

Al G - 9-29-2007 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

You're right--I remember XX almost having a molasses taste. I can get it on tap at the local TexMex but its more carbonated and watery now.

I admit to being a little confused...what is new...most Molasses based beers are like Imperial stouts. Don't remember Dos Equis as being that heavy?

Hook - 9-29-2007 at 01:42 PM

Al, you would have to have had it in the 60s or 70s. It was actually just a bit lighter than the Noche Buena.

Yeah, Mexitron, nothing like dogs or beers to inflate the post counts.

XXX was the Old Milwaukee of Mexico...........banco's description of the color is in keeping with the taste as well.

Dos XX

BMG - 9-29-2007 at 02:56 PM

IMG_3062.JPG - 48kB

Dead soldiers

BMG - 9-29-2007 at 03:01 PM

IMG_3310.jpg - 34kB

The most useless....

BMG - 9-29-2007 at 03:12 PM

...have to be these teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy, wee little bottles. Hardly enough to wet the whistle.

[Edited on 9-29-2007 by BMG]

Tiny cerveza.JPG - 32kB

Yessss!!

Dave - 9-29-2007 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
When we get our place set up in Asuncion and we're there for a few weeks at a time, I will be brewing my own beer on premises.

Can I be your bestest friend? ;D

DENNIS - 9-29-2007 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
--Larry

You weren't even born when XXX was a pale beer.

Cervisin - 9-29-2007 at 06:33 PM

Hmmm, thread about beer - to bad I can not participate here - writing about beer in October is for a German / Bavarian a sin!! Can drink during that time spend for writing.... it's Oktoberfest time....

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

Al G - 9-29-2007 at 07:01 PM

Would a US style Micro brewery be allowed in Baja?? Do not have the means or experience to do it...just would like to know.
I may have asked this before...or was I just thinking about it:lol:

DENNIS - 9-30-2007 at 07:06 AM

Al....
I think we had a thread about this recently but it's fun to kick it around occasionally what with CRS and all that stuff. Easier than research.
I kinda remember the question back then but don't remember the amswer. There's a new brewery in Tijuana that makes a beer with that name. Don't know if it's technically a micro-brewery.
Anyway, I can't remember anything.

bajajudy - 9-30-2007 at 07:33 AM

There is a micro brewery opening in San Jose next to Bhan Thai.
I will report on it after it opens.

Bajajorge - 9-30-2007 at 09:07 AM

Locally around Northern Nevada the past couple of weeks the mercados have been having some killer sales on Mexican beer. Tecate, 18-12oz cans for $9.99. Tecate Light, 18-12oz cans for $8.99. Twelve packs of Corona, Pacifico, Modelo Especial 12oz bottles, $10.99.:wow:
The usual price for these beers is usually around 2 bucks more than the sale prices.
Does Pennsylvania still have that weird law about only buying 6 packs at the local Cantina and if you want a case you have to go to the Agencia?:o

DENNIS - 9-30-2007 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

Uhh... try as I might, I can't figure out what you're replying to-- or saying-- here. :?:

--Larry

In retrospect, neither do I.

comitan - 9-30-2007 at 11:10 AM

A senior moment to go down in history!!!!:lol::lol:

Al G - 9-30-2007 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
There is a micro brewery opening in San Jose next to Bhan Thai.
I will report on it after it opens.

Judy, I was so hoping so, because most Saturdays I enjoy tasting new beers. I buy a different 6 pack of something almost every week...one of my great pleasures that I would miss a lot. If they are opening a new one in Del San Jose, it will not be long before they have them CSL...TS...and La Paz.

Dennis, won't be stopping in TJ to taste beer...risk is to high for me...now if I get a tour with FTD or a Nomad bus tour, I wouldn't feel my life and possessions would be at stake.

Bajajorge...Your prices are same as mine except Corona is 2 bucks more and Especial is 1 buck cheaper in !2 packs...

Al G - 9-30-2007 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
While I enjoy Pacifico, Negra Modelo, and others, I still crave a real beer while in Baja. Hence, I often have a stash of Sierra Nevada, Anderson Valley IPA, Red Nectar Ale, or something similar. When we get our place set up in Asuncion and we're there for a few weeks at a time, I will be brewing my own beer on premises.

Yep, sitting on the front porch, listening to Sirius Blues, looking out to the bay with fresh fish on the bbq, and enjoying a cold one....nothing better unless I've got amigos with me.

Zac

Zac...My ideals are the same and if, my deal goes through with Shari...(got blindsided with a tax issue and SS) I will trade beer with you...if mine is good...I am a newbie at beer making. I like Porter and stouts, but lately I have been impressed with Boston Lager style.

Wingnut - 10-1-2007 at 05:30 PM

Ahhh, this thread about beers brings back many memories. Yes there was a XXX and it was a pale beer. Dos Equis (XX) used to be available only in the Amber and thus XXX was born. Lamentable, because it used to be good. While we are on the subject of beer, growing up as I did in Arizona we had some local favorites that are long gone. Anyone remember Falstaff and A-1 ? How about PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and the really cheap one from my college days KOL? That stuff was really bad but when you are a broke college kid, you'll drink anything you can get your hands on. How about HAMMS? Some of you will remember the commercials at least.

bajajudy - 10-1-2007 at 05:37 PM

Wingnut
How about :
Mable, Black Label
Carling, Black Label Beer.

Hated the stuff; the commercial stuck.
Did drink my share of PBR's. Probably would make me gag now.

Al
I hope that the brewery is open soon but you know how that goes. Rode by yesterday and it didnt look any different than it did 3 weeks ago....

Hook - 10-1-2007 at 05:57 PM

"From the land of sky-blue waa-aa-ter.........waa-aa-ter!" Had bears in the commercials, didn't they?

Sure I remember Falstaff......Schlitz.........Lucky Lager..........Olympia...........Stroh's.

PBR is still on tap at Ole's in San Clemente, for you south OC guys. Good, cheap beer for enlisted Marines.

Mexitron - 10-1-2007 at 06:49 PM

Don't forget Rainer--one of the good cheap beers--still made by Miller Brewing in the old Olympia brewery plant for distribution by the current owner Pabst(HQ in San Antonio, eh, but not sold in Texas--wah!)...

Al G - 10-1-2007 at 06:59 PM

Do you remember...Jax...or Pearl. Falstaff was my favorite.
I amsure I said this on our last thread:lol:

BMG - 10-1-2007 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WingnutAnyone remember

Brew 102, LA's finest.

For special occasions and to impress the girls we also drank champipple. champagne and Ripple. Later popularized by Fred Sanford. Of course that was before the good stuff, Boone's Farm and Bali Hai.

woody with a view - 10-1-2007 at 07:37 PM

DAMN, you guys are old!

how did you open a brew 102? had to carry a can opener with you????:?:

DENNIS - 10-1-2007 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
how did you open a brew 102? had to carry a can opener with you????:?:

Called a "Church key."

Pages:  1