BajaNomad

fear of adventure

gnukid - 10-9-2007 at 08:00 AM

Something strange is happening, I am leaving on a trip from San Francisco to La Paz which normally could take a few days or even a week, but I chose to go on a catamaran sail boat and the crew is planning one month to arrive in La Paz...? One month with little to nothing in my back pack, one month in cramped quarters or no quarters, one month with the same psychotic friends. I am scared but I don't know what to be more scared of, the uncertainty or the possible true dangers.

I have had good times on boats. It seems almost insane not knowing where I am going to go and for how long, but I want to try to be free to go on a long trip with almost nothing. I don't want to rain on any one else plans, if they want to go slow, and take time, then I do too, I guess.

I am scared.

Osprey - 10-9-2007 at 08:09 AM

Kid, downhill is easy. If you signed on for one way I say "go for it". Uphill is hell. The whole trip is worth getting into and out of Turtle bay with your boat, your life, your freedom and being able to tell the tale later. They play rough in Turtle Bay but the rest of the trip should be fun, scared, fun, scared, tired, tired, tired, overwhelmed, overjoyed, filled up and alive. If I was young again, able, I would put you on my patio and take your place in a DF heartbeat.

Diver - 10-9-2007 at 08:11 AM

Bring lots of books and your favorite libation; you'll need them !!
Can you bring a kayak or dinghy and some fishing gear ?
We have a blow up Kayak that stows in a small duffle.
Or hang a small kayak on the rail ?
Also make sure to bring your favorite "must have" foods, snacks or spices.

BajaBruno - 10-9-2007 at 08:11 AM

I know that feeling: anticipation with trepidation. That cat is plenty big enough and as you know, it’s usually a broad reach all the way down the coast, which is pretty nice cat conditions. I can’t imagine why it would take a month, unless you stopped to party at every opportunity, and there aren’t many past Ensenada. If the boat is sound, the crew is competent, and you have a good navigator, you’ll be fine. If not, fly down and offer to meet them at the dock with margaritas.

Diver - 10-9-2007 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
If I was young again, able, I would put you on my patio and take your place in a DF heartbeat.

If I was only young again....

I must be middle age;
I already revel in past accomplishments but my memory is still young enough to remember puking in storms, sweltering in calms, ice-cold rains, broken toilets, water rations and screaming boat-mates ..... ah, the fun of it all !

Osprey - 10-9-2007 at 08:33 AM

Three years on Pacific minesweepers didn't exactly make me a sailor but it can and will turn your blood to pure saltwater, make you live like an anphibian the rest of your life. What is puking?

longlegsinlapaz - 10-9-2007 at 08:35 AM

Hmmmmmmm....Fear of adventure? Fear of the unknown? POSSIBLY....but have you stopped to think that it MAY be your gut intuitively telling you not to make this particular trip at this time?:?: Your use of the the word "fear" & "scared" tells me this is more than pre-trip anticipation. Listen to your gut!

Just another possible angle....don't all you old mariners spit on me!:lol:

gnukid - 10-9-2007 at 08:40 AM

The boat has been around the world three times and we just finished a complete refit which I participated in. The mast, sails, shrouds, lines and all cables are new and strong.

Thank you for the suggestion of the inflatable kayak. I am going now. I love to fish. I can't imagine what we will do for so long and where, but I will find out soon. I think I will bring scotch whiskey. The nice thing is, in this case I am single and somehow the captain and his wife have invited single girls too, they seem amazing (so far) and beautiful with a great sense of adventure and humor too. Who knows in months to come I could be married with children and living on Cerralvo.

Soon, my name will be Pablo Arce-Arce becuase when I round Cedros to Punta Eugenia and land in Bahia Tortuga I will be home among my friends and family, the Arces of Tortuga.

I try to remind myself, I only need my fishing license and my passport. Argh!

Dave - 10-9-2007 at 08:46 AM

What size boat?

I have a love/hate relationship with cats. Fair weather=great sailing but in stormy seas they scare me to death. In a seaway they are unstable. I would guess the crew is experienced? If not, no way I'd go.

Disregard my previous post

Dave - 10-9-2007 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The nice thing is, in this case I am single and somehow the captain and his wife have invited single girls too, they seem amazing (so far) and beautiful with a great sense of adventure and humor too.

Buck up and tough it out. :rolleyes:

Denaca - 10-9-2007 at 09:36 AM

Danger and discomfort are all around.
Sounds like a fun trip.
If you continue to have doubts can take your place?

805gregg - 10-9-2007 at 10:05 AM

Unless they are towing a sea anchor I don't see it taking a month. I made it from San Pedro to New Zealand in a month.

shari - 10-9-2007 at 10:14 AM

Arce Arce??? Are you related to my husband Juan Arce?? Hey, make SURE you stop in and see us after leaving Turtle Bay...call us on Ch.16 "Sirena" and let us know how you are doing....I crewed for a 2 year stretch from Victoria BC to the Galapagos on a variety of different boats...and had the adventure of a lifetime...just remember...jump ship if you aren't happy, there are lots of boats out there with good people...you can always get off in any port! Look forward to seeing you...Asuncion is an awesome anchorage and a day sail down from Tortugas...so do stop by. If you leave late, you can anchor easily in San Roque too to avoid coming in here in the dark although it's a wide open bay.

Phil S - 10-9-2007 at 11:52 AM

Shari. You didn't tell them that you have room for another sailboat in your front yard (sitting on tire carcass's) if it "gets too much" for them. Like your other friends that "bailed out" at your place & have their sailboat for sale. 23' Aquarius. No trailer (my broblem in not buying it. No trailer) Price was right also.

Hook - 10-9-2007 at 01:37 PM

Its still a little early to be heading downhill, IMO. Traditional start is Nov. 1. Chubascos are still a real possibility.

cbuzzetti - 10-9-2007 at 04:57 PM

Dave tell me about Cats. My wife and I are power boaters but we are looking at Sailing Cats for retirement. I have sailed small boats since I was a kid. I have sailed Hobies and P Cats before. But I imagine they are not the same in larger sizes.
We will mostly be coastal sailors. Pacific and Sea of Cortez.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
Send me PM.
Thanks
BajaBuzz

Oso - 10-9-2007 at 05:03 PM

Ah yes, the canvas can do miracles... Such memories...
Rounding Cuba from Cozumel to Naples on a Cal 40, no jib, three reefs in the main, spars skimming the whitecaps, one hand on the wheel, one on the rail... Glance at the compass, chum the fish, check the compass, chum the fish, compass, no more chum, only two more hours of dry heaves before I can wake the Caymanian from his peaceful slumber and kill myself. :barf:

Oh to be young and insane once more!

bajajudy - 10-9-2007 at 05:20 PM

Sounds like a great trip...do it now because for some reason as you age you become more fearful....experience perhaps...it certainly has nothing to do with being smarter!

One of the nastiest trips I can remember was from Ensenada to San Lucas. Nice lady had made us killer tamales....I sure enjoyed them. No one else could keep anything down. It was one of those weird motions, where the swell kicked the stern around just about the time the sails would fill and propel you down the back side. But you know what we all made it and had a good laugh when we got to the Gigglin Marlin.

I say GO FOR IT

stanburn - 10-9-2007 at 05:21 PM

Please! Yea you can get to La Paz faster by driving, but when going on a boat it is alot slower. We averaged 4 knots on a good day when we came down in 2004.\

If you are afraid, don't go!

DavidT - 10-9-2007 at 08:04 PM

Are you going as part of the Baja HaHa gang?

debindesert - 10-9-2007 at 08:07 PM

In the early 70s I signed on as a cook’s helper on a pleasure yacht. Against the advice of our Captain, the yacht owner had demanded to take a side trip before going through the Panama Canal.

We sailed right into a coup de tats. Our ship was greeted at gunpoint and held for 12 hours by British Honduras guerrillas. We were all lined up and marched to the end of this small dock.

With an order, I placed my hands in the air and backed up to the edge so that my heals were hanging over the very edge of a dock. The guerrillas guarding us kept pocking their guns and laughing. I eventually passed out with no protection from the equatorial sun.

The object was betting to see which one of us would fall into the water first, only to be revived and stand again for their cruel gringo game. I would try and suppressed my fear by reciting Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham over and over again.

This was enjoyed by the guerrillas as they felt they were getting a free English lesson and repeated the phrases.

Finally, a local port authority person came running down the dock to beg our release. There was no hesitation from our Captain. He said everyone walk to the boat, pull anchor, and don’t look back.

We were about three miles out when the shock wore off. We noticed that everything was gone that wasn’t nailed down. Our food supplies, dishes, curtains, cushions, life jackets, first aid, clothing, dingy, tools... All that we had was on our backs.

Renamed Belize, I think there is a Club-Med there now. It was on MTV's spring break that I saw the name again.

My revenge is that there are two ex-gorilla cabana boys making passes at rich Gringas, with the only English they know, "Sam I am, I do not like green eggs and ham....".

I wouldn’t trade a minute for that “adventure”.

Oso - 10-9-2007 at 08:56 PM

Strange, as I recall there was no such country as British Honduras in the 70's. It was Belize when I was there in 1964.:?:

Oso - 10-9-2007 at 09:19 PM

My apologies, a history search says that "Belize" became an internally self-governing colony in 64, but full independence didn't come until 73. So both terms were probably used during the interim. When I was there, everyone called it Belize but maybe the Brits were still using BH.

I'm afraid, however, that I can't quite buy the "English Lesson" story. English has been the official language for a very long time and everyone spoke it then.

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by Oso]

Oso - 10-10-2007 at 07:39 AM

Oh! Now I get it.;D

gnukid - 10-10-2007 at 03:03 PM

After some thought and wisdom from Nomads like Pam, thoughts of all the great trips I have had pass through my mind and the people I trusted to go with, those people are ones that I know I can depend on and would entrust decisions about my overall wellbeing. In this case, my gut feeling is that this is one of a different type of trips, risky, with the wrong people, unprepared, unqualified, no shake down cruise and way too uncertain and probably not my best use of time, money and energy.

Thanks for your comments it helped me alot. The fact alone that a 7-10 day trip is oddly extended to 30 days makes me feel that I might once again be forced free labor for someone's crazy plans. I don't mind helping out often but promised myself to avoid the ol' "come on my boat and complete this list of chores" routine which happens in Baja and which has become something I prefer to avoid. So somehow with a polite excuse, I hope I'm back to ROAD TRIP wahooo baja where I get to visit every friend and make new ones too along the roads of Baja. I'll post an update as to the whereabouts and results soon. By the way, I kitesurf, surf, kayak and sail small boats and fish almost everyday so I hope to see you too out there.

Good luck adventurers and see you at the beach,

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by gnukid]

debindesert - 10-10-2007 at 07:34 PM

Larry,

Eythay ereway eakingspay igpay atinlay. Andway, ethay okejay asway onway usway.

Deb

wakemall - 10-10-2007 at 07:58 PM

I would not ever turn down or miss a trip South to MX. There are fishing spots people dream about...... Take along a meat line on the sailboat. I missed several sportfishing boat trip town to Cabo and I am still kicking my self in the butt. I would love for someone to offer me a trip down and I pay for my fuel and food expense................ Do it and please send me the pictures....

805gregg - 10-10-2007 at 08:10 PM

Gut feelings are your best friend follow his advise.

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by 805gregg]

gnukid - 10-10-2007 at 10:09 PM

Don't get me wrong I have my own sailboat in La Paz and trailor multiple small boats too for messing around I will sail thousands of kilometers on the sea of cortez before the winter is up.

This year later on we hope to recreate an historic gunkholing trip on the sea of cortez on traditional small boats including a falucca and a pelican sailboat with some historians. I normally will sail every day just not with the aforementioned planned trip-this time-since it seems too much. Though possibly I can meet them later if they make it off the dock. I am super happy with my decision today, back on track and am packing and leaving for 6 months of fun with myself in charge. Lets go to baja!