Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: fear of adventure
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:00 AM
fear of adventure

Something strange is happening, I am leaving on a trip from San Francisco to La Paz which normally could take a few days or even a week, but I chose to go on a catamaran sail boat and the crew is planning one month to arrive in La Paz...? One month with little to nothing in my back pack, one month in cramped quarters or no quarters, one month with the same psychotic friends. I am scared but I don't know what to be more scared of, the uncertainty or the possible true dangers.

I have had good times on boats. It seems almost insane not knowing where I am going to go and for how long, but I want to try to be free to go on a long trip with almost nothing. I don't want to rain on any one else plans, if they want to go slow, and take time, then I do too, I guess.

I am scared.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:09 AM

Kid, downhill is easy. If you signed on for one way I say "go for it". Uphill is hell. The whole trip is worth getting into and out of Turtle bay with your boat, your life, your freedom and being able to tell the tale later. They play rough in Turtle Bay but the rest of the trip should be fun, scared, fun, scared, tired, tired, tired, overwhelmed, overjoyed, filled up and alive. If I was young again, able, I would put you on my patio and take your place in a DF heartbeat.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:11 AM

Bring lots of books and your favorite libation; you'll need them !!
Can you bring a kayak or dinghy and some fishing gear ?
We have a blow up Kayak that stows in a small duffle.
Or hang a small kayak on the rail ?
Also make sure to bring your favorite "must have" foods, snacks or spices.

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:11 AM

I know that feeling: anticipation with trepidation. That cat is plenty big enough and as you know, it’s usually a broad reach all the way down the coast, which is pretty nice cat conditions. I can’t imagine why it would take a month, unless you stopped to party at every opportunity, and there aren’t many past Ensenada. If the boat is sound, the crew is competent, and you have a good navigator, you’ll be fine. If not, fly down and offer to meet them at the dock with margaritas.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
If I was young again, able, I would put you on my patio and take your place in a DF heartbeat.

If I was only young again....

I must be middle age;
I already revel in past accomplishments but my memory is still young enough to remember puking in storms, sweltering in calms, ice-cold rains, broken toilets, water rations and screaming boat-mates ..... ah, the fun of it all !

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:33 AM

Three years on Pacific minesweepers didn't exactly make me a sailor but it can and will turn your blood to pure saltwater, make you live like an anphibian the rest of your life. What is puking?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:35 AM

Hmmmmmmm....Fear of adventure? Fear of the unknown? POSSIBLY....but have you stopped to think that it MAY be your gut intuitively telling you not to make this particular trip at this time?:?: Your use of the the word "fear" & "scared" tells me this is more than pre-trip anticipation. Listen to your gut!

Just another possible angle....don't all you old mariners spit on me!:lol:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:40 AM

The boat has been around the world three times and we just finished a complete refit which I participated in. The mast, sails, shrouds, lines and all cables are new and strong.

Thank you for the suggestion of the inflatable kayak. I am going now. I love to fish. I can't imagine what we will do for so long and where, but I will find out soon. I think I will bring scotch whiskey. The nice thing is, in this case I am single and somehow the captain and his wife have invited single girls too, they seem amazing (so far) and beautiful with a great sense of adventure and humor too. Who knows in months to come I could be married with children and living on Cerralvo.

Soon, my name will be Pablo Arce-Arce becuase when I round Cedros to Punta Eugenia and land in Bahia Tortuga I will be home among my friends and family, the Arces of Tortuga.

I try to remind myself, I only need my fishing license and my passport. Argh!

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:46 AM

What size boat?

I have a love/hate relationship with cats. Fair weather=great sailing but in stormy seas they scare me to death. In a seaway they are unstable. I would guess the crew is experienced? If not, no way I'd go.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 09:03 AM
Disregard my previous post

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The nice thing is, in this case I am single and somehow the captain and his wife have invited single girls too, they seem amazing (so far) and beautiful with a great sense of adventure and humor too.

Buck up and tough it out. :rolleyes:

Denaca
Junior Nomad

Mood: Indigo

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 09:36 AM

Danger and discomfort are all around.
Sounds like a fun trip.
If you continue to have doubts can take your place?
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 10:05 AM

Unless they are towing a sea anchor I don't see it taking a month. I made it from San Pedro to New Zealand in a month.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 10:14 AM

Arce Arce??? Are you related to my husband Juan Arce?? Hey, make SURE you stop in and see us after leaving Turtle Bay...call us on Ch.16 "Sirena" and let us know how you are doing....I crewed for a 2 year stretch from Victoria BC to the Galapagos on a variety of different boats...and had the adventure of a lifetime...just remember...jump ship if you aren't happy, there are lots of boats out there with good people...you can always get off in any port! Look forward to seeing you...Asuncion is an awesome anchorage and a day sail down from Tortugas...so do stop by. If you leave late, you can anchor easily in San Roque too to avoid coming in here in the dark although it's a wide open bay.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 11:52 AM

Shari. You didn't tell them that you have room for another sailboat in your front yard (sitting on tire carcass's) if it "gets too much" for them. Like your other friends that "bailed out" at your place & have their sailboat for sale. 23' Aquarius. No trailer (my broblem in not buying it. No trailer) Price was right also.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 01:37 PM

Its still a little early to be heading downhill, IMO. Traditional start is Nov. 1. Chubascos are still a real possibility.

cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 04:57 PM

Dave tell me about Cats. My wife and I are power boaters but we are looking at Sailing Cats for retirement. I have sailed small boats since I was a kid. I have sailed Hobies and P Cats before. But I imagine they are not the same in larger sizes.
We will mostly be coastal sailors. Pacific and Sea of Cortez.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
Send me PM.
Thanks
BajaBuzz

BajaBuzz
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 05:03 PM

Ah yes, the canvas can do miracles... Such memories...
Rounding Cuba from Cozumel to Naples on a Cal 40, no jib, three reefs in the main, spars skimming the whitecaps, one hand on the wheel, one on the rail... Glance at the compass, chum the fish, check the compass, chum the fish, compass, no more chum, only two more hours of dry heaves before I can wake the Caymanian from his peaceful slumber and kill myself. :barf:

Oh to be young and insane once more!

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 05:20 PM

Sounds like a great trip...do it now because for some reason as you age you become more fearful....experience perhaps...it certainly has nothing to do with being smarter!

One of the nastiest trips I can remember was from Ensenada to San Lucas. Nice lady had made us killer tamales....I sure enjoyed them. No one else could keep anything down. It was one of those weird motions, where the swell kicked the stern around just about the time the sails would fill and propel you down the back side. But you know what we all made it and had a good laugh when we got to the Gigglin Marlin.

I say GO FOR IT

stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 05:21 PM

Please! Yea you can get to La Paz faster by driving, but when going on a boat it is alot slower. We averaged 4 knots on a good day when we came down in 2004.\

If you are afraid, don't go!
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:04 PM

Are you going as part of the Baja HaHa gang?

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.