BajaNomad

Scotty's El Candil in Mulege

Bob H - 10-9-2007 at 08:07 AM

El Candil is now known as Scotty's El Candil Restaurant. He formerly ran the sports bar in town. The menu has changed and the food seclection and pricing looks very good.

We went there last night for dinner. I had beer battered lobster (four large pieces) for 120 pesos. Audrey had Center Cut Pork Chops, grilled. The quality of the food and the preperation was absolutely fantastic. These folks know what they are doing.

We were also there on Sunday and watched the Chargers kick butt over Denver! Fun place! Highly Recommended!!
Bob H

Sharksbaja - 10-9-2007 at 10:53 AM

Of course they do a great job, they're from Oregon!:lol: Seriously, I admire their specials. I was shocked to see "T-bone steak with fresh chiitaki sauce"". Where do they grow those???;) Good food. Used to be the best burgers in Baja.

Al G - 10-9-2007 at 11:03 AM

I was there just after/near when Scotty took over(may)...it was great. My complaint is Most if not all (my experience) have very uncomfortable bar stools...my aching butt. Is this the needed norm in Baja? I would think they would spare no expense on bar stools to keep people there and drinking...after 20/30 minutes I gotta go even if there is a good game.:(:(:(

Hook - 10-9-2007 at 12:52 PM

Is this owned by the same guy who used to manage the Pelican?

BTW, what ever happened to the Pelican? Havent been there in about 2 years now.

toneart - 10-9-2007 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Is this owned by the same guy who used to manage the Pelican?

BTW, what ever happened to the Pelican? Havent been there in about 2 years now.

Scotty, the owner/chef of the new Scotty's El Candil was partners in the Pelican Reef Bar & Grill with the owner of the real estate company of the same name. They jointly decided to vacate the old location and dissolve their partnership. Scotty now is the sole owner in the new location. His father and mother retired there and help out. The also have a patch of land where they grow their own produce. As Sharks said, they(family) used to have a restaurant in Oregon. Scotty is a great chef and runs a first class restaurant in Mulege. The wait staff and cooks are excellent, loyal and can be depended upon. They treat the customers as though it were their restaurant.

You might think Scotty's is a little pricy, but that is only on the high end of the entrees. There is a wide range of food and preparation styles, and it changes daily with what is available. There is something for everybody; tacos to burgers to filet mignon to Lobster. And the Mexican food is real Mexican food! There is a lot more space than there was in the other place, including a beautiful large patio in back. Inside the bar and restaurant it is well ventilated. For a non-smoker, that is a huge plus!

(Scotty........I'll be there around New Years. Maybe a steak and a Pacifico would be good compensation for the PR work. ;) )

Picture of El Candil

tripledigitken - 10-9-2007 at 02:25 PM

The restaurant is right where the red pickup is parked.

Picture taken in plaza looking north, if you looked east you would see the old Pelican Bar.

Ken

Cap - 10-9-2007 at 04:07 PM

I would agree on the food and hospitality, but the margaritas went down hill IMO. Seemed like a nice guy, I wish him well. Just ask him to use the fresh limes:yes:

Baja&Back - 10-9-2007 at 07:39 PM

So where's that hunchback old man who sits in the green doorway?? What a character study!!
I always stop & shake his hand just to see his face change into a smile. Makes my day ... :tumble:

Bob and Susan - 10-9-2007 at 07:44 PM

he passed away last year...

a great loss

Natalie Ann - 10-9-2007 at 09:28 PM

The Old Days

Here's a picture of Nomad Cap talking with Rudolfo a few years back.

migue-y-rudolfo2.jpg - 39kB

Al G - 10-10-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
The restaurant is right where the red pickup is parked.

Picture taken in plaza looking north, if you looked east you would see the old Pelican Bar.

Ken

Just for info for people who need the bank...
Look at the sun shine on the street...the second place is the start of the next block and the bank is mid block on the left...can someone confirm this...I do get lost you know.

tripledigitken - 10-10-2007 at 09:20 AM

Al,

You are correct sir!

Ken

yur right Cap

capt. mike - 10-10-2007 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cap
I would agree on the food and hospitality, but the margaritas went down hill IMO. Seemed like a nice guy, I wish him well. Just ask him to use the fresh limes:yes:

Manuel's and Saul's margs, Jet fuel style as pictured, Manuel pouring, on the Boyz site, are better - almost to the level of Alex's. Just as strong but Alex's are tastier.

well, that's just one drunk's opine here....:lol::lol::lol:

tripledigitken - 10-10-2007 at 10:30 AM

Capt Mike,

Ok let inquiring minds know where do we find:

Alex
Manuel
Saul

I've probably tasted their work without knowing who they were.

:P:P:P

Ken

Cap - 10-10-2007 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Mike, I guess Saul opened a place on the highway not far from you eh?

I got a great tip on this board and I think it has perfected the JP8 Marg. Substitute Damiana for Cointreau. MMMMM

-if I didn't take opinions from drunks my friend would be very offended.

Natalie Ann - 10-10-2007 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cap
I got a great tip on this board and I think it has perfected the JP8 Marg. Substitute Damiana for Cointreau. MMMMM

-if I didn't take opinions from drunks my friend would be very offended.

Hey Amigo -
Perhaps I didn't explain this correctly...
we substitute the Damiana to keep from getting drunk!:biggrin:

Nena

Cap - 10-10-2007 at 11:27 AM

oops, sorry Nena. I thought I was going through an awful lot of that stuff.

Bob H - 10-11-2007 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cap

Actually, Audrey and I had margies there each visit and they were pretty darn good. Fresh limes in the hanging basket every day! Maybe someone told Scotty the importance of using fresh limes. There certainly was enough booze in there.

I wanna go back for more of those beer battered lobsters... unreal for only 12-bucks if you ask me. With fries and a FRESH salad (must grow that stuff himself it was soooo good).

Bob H

Have u been to La Palapa yet?

Sharksbaja - 10-11-2007 at 02:54 PM

That's great news Bob. I know I get tired of the same ol' head lettuce and carrot salad all so common in Baja, and that damn slice o' tomato stuck on every steak.
Hey if you want to tease Saul and he'll give you a second take. Order something and say "Con no zanhorias por favor" and then say " and a pork chop to go". See what he does!!!:lol::lol:

capt. mike - 10-11-2007 at 03:34 PM

ok Cap and Ken, here's the scoop:

Saul was the kitchen mgr years ago at Punta Chivato hotel where we stayed monthly on sams clinic trips until the Italians Marceletto bought it and closed it for 2 years repairs then opened at $200 per noche. We switched to the Serenidad - damn glad we did.

so....Saul and the rest went back to mulege to work, Saul opened the La Palapa restuarant out on 1 past the serenidad turn. GREAT place!
later he bought the El Candil and ran it too but i guess times got tough and he sold it to Scotty.
He still has the Palapa and we eat there a lot.

Alex is the night bartender at Serenidad and a fishing guide by day - and my best Mexican friend in town along with Nacho the cabbie.

Manuel works for Saul as a waiter and bartender.
that's a picture of Manuel on the Cabo Boyz website pouring them Jet A fueler marggies setting at the Candil - 2006 trip maybe??

When we used to stay at Chivato Saul poured 2 for 1 for us always and we tipped him handsomely!!

Cap - 10-11-2007 at 06:58 PM

I knew the basic history of Saul, and we just missed him in August. I didn't know he had another place going the whole time though. I owe him a visit . Alex, Manuel, and Nacho are all good friends too. The Picture of Manuel on the site is actually from a magazine article last year. They sent an embedded reporter to infiltrate the boys, and he had a great time.

AS far as the relative quality of margaritas made by each of them... I think we will need a taste test contest, Nacho can drive. :yes::yes::yes:

Sauls' new restaurant

Sharksbaja - 10-11-2007 at 07:02 PM

will be built soon he says and is currently building his home nearby. He's good honest man.

great idea!

capt. mike - 10-12-2007 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cap
I knew the basic history of Saul, and we just missed him in August. I didn't know he had another place going the whole time though. I owe him a visit . Alex, Manuel, and Nacho are all good friends too. The Picture of Manuel on the site is actually from a magazine article last year. They sent an embedded reporter to infiltrate the boys, and he had a great time.

AS far as the relative quality of margaritas made by each of them... I think we will need a taste test contest, Nacho can drive. :yes::yes::yes:

they have a town chili cookoff, Rotary int'l, why not a Margarita Off??!!
yes, Nacho for driving us judges. :coolup::lol::lol:

Cap - when do we get some 2007 trip reports?:saint:

Cap - 10-12-2007 at 08:20 AM

I like it. Of course, we will have to explain to the contestants, that bribing the judges with tasty appetizers, will be tolerated and probly increase their chances of winning.
The official '07 trip report is almost done. It takes a little while because it includes a 30-40min. movie. The un-official report is complete but will not be made public until the statute of limitations runs out. :biggrin:

Natalie Ann - 10-12-2007 at 09:55 AM

Capt. Mike and Cap... Now don't you two go planning a margarita mix-off without this gringa's presence. I have a keen sense for fine tequila and a taste for great food (those appetizers you mentioned). I'm certain to be a good addition to the judge's table. Nacho's driving will be fine... although not nearly exciting nor fun as the driver/vehicle we found on our last whale watch adventure - right, Cap?! Waddaya think, boyz? Gonna invite me to join you? ;D:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

Natalie Ann - 10-12-2007 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I wanna go back for more of those beer battered lobsters... unreal for only 12-bucks if you ask me. With fries and a FRESH salad (must grow that stuff himself it was soooo good).

Bob H

I've never had fried lobster... but you've convinced me it's time to try. And real salad is always such a treat in the Sur. Thanks for the report, Bob.

Nena

Cap - 10-12-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Capt. Mike and Cap... Now don't you two go planning a margarita mix-off without this gringa's presence. I have a keen sense for fine tequila and a taste for great food (those appetizers you mentioned). I'm certain to be a good addition to the judge's table. Nacho's driving will be fine... although not nearly exciting nor fun as the driver/vehicle we found on our last whale watch adventure - right, Cap?! Waddaya think, boyz? Gonna invite me to join you? ;D:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

Ha!
I don't think anyone in our (tightly packed) group will ever forget that ride, or the boat situation, or the flight in. :light: Come to think of it, have you written that story? did I miss it? If you haven't, I hope you will. I love your writing/stories.

And of course, it is assumed you will be on the Margarita judging panel. Someone will have to keep us organized and lend some respectability to this endevour. I can't see us being taken too seriously with out a chaparone.:rolleyes:

Natalie Ann - 10-12-2007 at 10:38 AM

Cap, if you're counting on me for you to be taken seriously... I think you're in for one heckuva surprise.:spingrin::spingrin: I'm not sure I feel too good about this chaparone thing, but I'm willing to give it a try. How's about the first of the year in Mulege?

Minnow - 10-12-2007 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
The Old Days

Here's a picture of Nomad Cap talking with Rudolfo a few years back.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: OK, now I get it.:lol::lol::lol:

toneart - 10-12-2007 at 10:57 AM

Quote:

Nena

Don't let her! She's a fine photographer and the incriminating evidence would be in way before the Statute of Limitations runs out. :lol:

Natalie Ann - 10-12-2007 at 11:15 AM

Well thanks, Art, for the photog compliment... I think.
I suspect I'll be long gone before my young friend Cap's statue of limitations runs anywhere. How's about you should join us? If there should turn out to be an expose, it would be real nice to include you. Give it some thought.;D:biggrin:

Nena

toneart - 10-12-2007 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well thanks, Art, for the photog compliment... I think.
I suspect I'll be long gone before my young friend Cap's statue of limitations runs anywhere. How's about you should join us? If there should turn out to be an expose, it would be real nice to include you. Give it some thought.;D:biggrin:

Nena

Nena,
I'll be there but I'll be disguised as my avitar. :cool: Too many Paparazzi!