BajaNomad

american idiots

mulege marv - 11-13-2007 at 12:26 PM

its time of the year for the the baja 1000 and along with the race come the idiots (not everyone but more than needed). all the "wannabe's" come here with there motos and have no respect for anyone, and its all about them having fun at everyone elses expense. its like leaving a NASCAR race and all of a sudden everyone is jeff gordon. they race thru residential streets doing 60-70 mph with no thought of anyone else, kids, pets, the elderly, all at risk. you can ask as i did for them to slow down, usually responded to by a shrug of the shoulders and a "it wasnt me". its not like there is a lack of places to ride but i guess its that "look at me" thing and there is no one where they should be riding to see how cool they are. now i know this is not everyone but it only takes a few and i imagine it will keep on until someone is hurt, (other than the idiot) or worse killed. i mean its Mexico, right ? you can do anything you want, right ? WISE UP !

[Edited on 11-13-2007 by mulege marv]

walker.gif - 25kB

DENNIS - 11-13-2007 at 12:38 PM

I guess we can be thankful we don't come across these jerks when they're leaving a boxing match.

backninedan - 11-13-2007 at 01:48 PM

Couldn't agree more. Many (not all) of the support team members are the worst!!! They seem to think they own the town, are free to drive like marooons and take obnoxious to a whole new level.

Slowmad - 11-13-2007 at 02:34 PM

Is there a single group of Baja visitors with a louder, dirtier, more garish imprint than offroaders?

Discuss.

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 02:38 PM

There are always going to be a few bad apples that spoil the bunch, no matter what sport they are involved in.

P<*)))><

tripledigitken - 11-13-2007 at 02:38 PM

If this thread keeps going in the same direction, I'm going to pop some corn and grab a Pacifico and a lawn chair.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 02:41 PM

I've already had my fill of popcorn and soda today just following along with the race on another board.
Ken, save yourself a few trips to the fridge and bring a cooler full.
P.

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by Paulina]

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 02:45 PM

On the other hand, maybe I'll go throw another Orville Redenbacher bag in the micro....

bajaboolie - 11-13-2007 at 02:57 PM

Do many of the baja 1000 people use this board? I'm guessing your wise warnings will go unnoticed if they are more "racers" than Baja enthusiasts. Now, if a similar post could be done on some Baja 1000 board, well, then I'll get my popcorn too!

DENNIS - 11-13-2007 at 03:00 PM

You won't get any racer rebuttal here. They know the problem.

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaboolie
Do many of the baja 1000 people use this board? I'm guessing your wise warnings will go unnoticed if they are more "racers" than Baja enthusiasts. Now, if a similar post could be done on some Baja 1000 board, well, then I'll get my popcorn too!

The ones that do use this board are down there now. They aren't the ones that would be guilty of the issue at hand.
This topic has been discussed on the "racing" boards, not all people who race/chase/crew read the off road boards, just as not all who go to baja for other reasons read the Nomad board.
P.

doradodan - 11-13-2007 at 03:43 PM

my street in san felipe is about 4 blocks long, no stop signs and dirt. Everybody used it for a race track until I put up a speed bump, now I could open up a nut and bolt store.

grover

mulege marv - 11-13-2007 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Only lefties don't like motorsports and football.

i am a big fan of motorsports as long as they are done on the track. and i am a far cry from being an "eco-terrorist" i love off roading, but it lets look at that word for just a second "OFF ROADING" that would tend to make one believe this sport was done off the roads, yes ? being stupid as some of these people are is the fastest way to get this race stopped, i am not against racing, i love the sport just not in my front yard and PUBLIC STREETS. oh by the way they use the tope in front of my house for a jump

speedygonzales.gif - 4kB

bancoduo - 11-13-2007 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doradodan
my street in san felipe is about 4 blocks long, no stop signs and dirt. Everybody used it for a race track until I put up a speed bump, now I could open up a nut and bolt store.
Thats the street where the "square circle" dropped his radiator. Big bump no bueno for "lead foot" Roy :lol::lol::lol:

Paulina - 11-13-2007 at 04:13 PM

We had a speed bump put in by our house too, for all the lead footed blue hairs in the community.

P.

DENNIS - 11-13-2007 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulege marv
oh by the way they use the tope in front of my house for a jump

Change it into a trench.

comitan - 11-13-2007 at 05:38 PM

Marv.

I don't understand why you used the heading American Idiots, when this kind of action encompasses all peoples, or are the people jumping your tope Americans, Down here in La Paz they have an Autodrome and after the races its another races for everyone to get home there is always redlights ahead and nobody moves!!!!

mtgoat666 - 11-13-2007 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulege marv
Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Only lefties don't like motorsports and football.

i am a big fan of motorsports as long as they are done on the track. and i am a far cry from being an "eco-terrorist" i love off roading, but it lets look at that word for just a second "OFF ROADING" that would tend to make one believe this sport was done off the roads, yes ? being stupid as some of these people are is the fastest way to get this race stopped, i am not against racing, i love the sport just not in my front yard and PUBLIC STREETS. oh by the way they use the tope in front of my house for a jump

It's not a "sport." Don't use that word or you will lend credibility to their idiotic pastime.
If your tope doesn't work, you need to rebuild it to your satisfaction. The best thing about Mexico is that the Mexican Bill of Rights apparently gives all citizens the right to build and maintain their own speed bumps (we need a human right like that in the US!). I suggest you build it higher and steeper so it does some real damage to suspension of any marooon that exceeds 15 mph

Don Alley - 11-13-2007 at 05:54 PM

The lead racers will pass by Loreto in the wee hours of the morning. Many locals are camping out along the course, with plenty of beer and tequila, to watch the racers race through the arroyo.

This kind of racing is very popular locally with the Mexican people here, both as observers and participants.

Earlier this week we had a sad reminder of the possible consequences of bad behavior behind the wheel. Two young men were killed after drinking and racing a Ford Explorer, rolling it near town. Five young children lost their fathers.

DENNIS - 11-13-2007 at 05:55 PM

Building a Tope is in the bill of rights?

comitan - 11-13-2007 at 06:15 PM

In La Paz you have to have a permit to have a tope, and they have to meet certain spec's. Comitan has many but after the grading this week I think we will have none.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paula - 11-13-2007 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Building a Tope is in the bill of rights?

It should be!! We live mid-block on a one block section of dirt street. Several cars a day seem to pass our house at over 40, oblivious to kids, dogs, and pedestrians. I'm thinking about asking the army guys for some ofthat wicked braided plastic rope.

bajaguy - 11-13-2007 at 07:56 PM

Paula.....1 1/2 inch roofing nails really work well

Paula - 11-13-2007 at 07:59 PM

Good tip Bajaguy, but they might get us slowpokes too.

DENNIS - 11-13-2007 at 08:02 PM

Years back when I lived in Ensenada, nobody would slow down around our neighborhood so, I made stop signs just like the real ones. I put them up here and there and a few are still standing after fifteen years. It slowed down the traffic and every now and then, somebody would actually stop but, that's a lot to ask for anywhere in Mexico,

bajaguy - 11-13-2007 at 08:05 PM

Paula.....sweep em up after a few hours.....you can recycle them

bajamigo - 11-14-2007 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Years back when I lived in Ensenada, nobody would slow down around our neighborhood so, I made stop signs just like the real ones. I put them up here and there and a few are still standing after fifteen years. It slowed down the traffic and every now and then, somebody would actually stop but, that's a lot to ask for anywhere in Mexico,

I thought everybody in Baja observed Stop signs. It's only the traffic lights that they ignore. Seriously.

DENNIS - 11-14-2007 at 08:45 PM

That's right. In Mexico, "Stop" means, "Stop looking at signs like this."

vandenberg - 11-14-2007 at 09:22 PM

After living here for many years and driving the Mexican way, it's kind of fun to drive around with some American or European visitors and scare the living daylights out of them buzzing through stop signs.:biggrin:

rpleger - 11-15-2007 at 11:23 PM

Right on Marv....

Patsy and I went to k51 to watch the race, Had a great time....
Trip home was kind of harry with all the wanabes driving the chase trucks zooming down the interstate #1.

Bob and Susan - 11-16-2007 at 06:34 AM

yes ALOT of people are down here this week...

the trucks just "keep on trucking"

(i'm sooo funny this morning)

Marie-Rose - 11-16-2007 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A

A man told me it did not really mean stop it was just a suggestion.

:lol::lol: That is one of my favorite Mexican "quotes". Gotta love it!!

CaboRon - 11-16-2007 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Quote:

I thought everybody in Baja observed Stop signs. It's only the traffic lights that they ignore. Seriously.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

toneart - 11-16-2007 at 10:26 AM

Regarding the suggestion of roofing nails: they could be too effective. You may end up with unwanted guests at dinnertime who are out of cold cerveza. :no:

Cypress - 11-16-2007 at 10:32 AM

Regarding spectator sports, racing, any and all ball games etc., would just as soon watch cartoons with the sound off. :D