BajaNomad

wine

lewm - 11-13-2007 at 04:10 PM

For you connoisseurs Of Trader Joes $2 buck chucks. Walmart has come out with a California wine called Oak Leaf. It sells for $1.97 a bottle. It comes in most flavors. I found it in Arizona & Nevada. We tried a couple of bottles & bought more. I admit I'm no expert, but it tasted OK.

Fred - 11-13-2007 at 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I need to go there tomorrow.

Flavors?

Dave - 11-13-2007 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lewm
For you connoisseurs Of Trader Joes $2 buck chucks. Walmart has come out with a California wine called Oak Leaf. It sells for $1.97 a bottle. It comes in most flavors. I found it in Arizona & Nevada. We tried a couple of bottles & bought more. I admit I'm no expert, but it tasted OK.

Like strawberry and vanilla?

Thanks. For us 2BC fans anything less expensive is always a plus. :rolleyes:

Screw-top or fake cork?

Mexitron - 11-13-2007 at 04:52 PM

With that low-end stuff you're essentially buying box-wine repackaged in bottles--IMHO save yourself some money and buy the box.

Bob and Susan - 11-13-2007 at 04:54 PM

actually box wine is being filled with better wines every year...

the lack of air in the bag keep the wine longer after opened

"try it you'll like it":biggrin:

lewm - 11-13-2007 at 04:59 PM

Box wine is fine, but just does not work as well as a bottle at your table.

Al G - 11-13-2007 at 05:06 PM

I will check out Wally World Wine...if it is not made in China:lol:

Dave - 11-13-2007 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I will check out Wally World Wine...if it is not made in China:lol:

What with all the extra stuff they put in everything, a bottle of Chinese wine doesn't sound so bad.

I just need to find that "special someone" to share it with. :rolleyes:

Hook - 11-13-2007 at 06:03 PM

Here's a couple inexpensive gems

Cartlidge and Brown Sauv. Blanc 05

Durand La Bastide Roussanne 06

Not 2.99, mind you. But some character.

Box wines are getting better, especially the Aussie Shiraz. But they are still rather thin, IMO.

bajabound2005 - 11-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

Flavored wine? Oh, that's too scary to touch! Screw tops and fake corks are being used more and more by better and better wineries. The really nice thing about the screw top is that you don't have remember the opener :bounce: Just like the boxes.

docsmom - 11-13-2007 at 07:34 PM

So, I'm looking for good tasting wines, under $10 bottle for Thanksgiving dinner. Available in the states 'cuz we'll be in Las Vegas for the holiday this year (waaahhh!).
I'd like recommedations for a white and a red that I can serve to regular wine drinkers.
Your recommendations?

Paula - 11-13-2007 at 07:42 PM

Hook, do you buy those inexpensive gems in BCS? Of course inexpensive means $5 or $6 to me. $10 -$15 is pretty special.:biggrin: 2buck is actually decent everyday wine (OK, I do drink some almost every evening) but I don't see myself buying wine at Walmart. Don't buy much of anything else there, and don't see starting now.

Bajabound, I think he means like chardonnay and shiraz, not chocolate or butterscotch.

I think screwtop is great-- easy, new-wave, hip and groovy. Much better than those rubber corks that don't fit back in the bottle:dudette:

bajaguy - 11-13-2007 at 07:45 PM

Livingston Cellars...Chardonay....screw top...yum-yum

Paula - 11-13-2007 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
So, I'm looking for good tasting wines, under $10 bottle for Thanksgiving dinner. Available in the states 'cuz we'll be in Las Vegas for the holiday this year (waaahhh!).
I'd like recommedations for a white and a red that I can serve to regular wine drinkers.
Your recommendations?

Alice White and Yellowtail are both good low end brands, both Australian, both well under $10 a bottle. Meridian is pretty safe. Ravenswood chardonnay and red zinfandel are nicer, maybe just a little over$10, at least in Montana.

Mexitron - 11-13-2007 at 07:53 PM

DocsMom--can't go wrong with Edna Valley Chardonnay ($12)for the white, and a Pinot is always good with Turkey--good cheap ones though aren't so easy to find. Last year my sister brought a bottle of 2004 Lucia Winery Pinot and it was unbelievable and paired with the turkey perfectly...um, only thing is I think its around $50/ bottle...waahhh...Costco probably has some Cabs that will work.

vandenberg - 11-13-2007 at 08:06 PM

Funny thing about wines.
In the 60's, in the bar/restaurants, the best selling wines were burgundy, pinot noir in the reds and sauterne, riesling in the whites, with fume and chablis just getting their popularity start. Never even heard the name Shiraz in those days.
Always wondered if the industry doesn't just make up new variety names when the newness of a variety wears off.
Can't tell me that the vineyards that produced the grapes in those days, al of a sudden quit producing or were replaced with other ones. You don't grow a vineyard overnight.
And now for you guys: As a connoisseur of fine wines, I stick to my 5 liter square " bottle " of fine Carlo Rossi Merlot.:biggrin::biggrin:

docsmom - 11-13-2007 at 08:11 PM

Paula,
I've tried the Meridian, I agree, pretty safe. Thanks for the other suggestions.
Mex, you really had my attention with the Lucia 'till I saw $50 a bottle! I'd do it if my crowd would be happy with a sip but these folks will do at least 3 glasses per............ too rich for my blood at this gathering. (But I'll probably go to the wine store and get some for a private tasting :))
I'm still listening.........

Box Wine

Gypsy Jan - 11-13-2007 at 08:25 PM

At the Calimax and Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito, they frequently have 1 liter boxes of red and white wine labeled Valle Redondo, California Vino Tinto or Blanco (There are nice graphics of a glass of red or white on the box). These wines are very drinkable immediately after opening and are great for adding a recipe that calls for wine. The price is roughly $2.50 per box.

In another note, last week I ordered a glass of wine at a restaurant and was so impressed by the flavor and aroma I asked for the details.

It was La Cetto cabernet - and, WOW, substantial and fruity with blackberry flavors. It was wonderful!

A bottle of La Cetto Cabernet sells for about U.S. $6-7.00 in the various markets and licores stores, BUT, if you are in a smalll volume tienda, check out how they store the wine and how fast the inventory is turned over.

Fred - 11-13-2007 at 09:50 PM

docsmom........................when you get to Vegas.........go to Mr. Lee's.........................100's of bottle of wine at all prices.

bajabound2005 - 11-13-2007 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Funny thing about wines.
In the 60's, in the bar/restaurants, the best selling wines were

Ahh, the 60s...but I was just a mere pup then -- like TEN at the END of that decade!

elizabeth - 11-14-2007 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
Your recommendations?

Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio tastes like a $20 bottle at somewhere between 6-8 either at Trader Joe or BevMo. Montevina Pinot Grigio is another really good under 10...currently on sale at BevMo. Ravenswood Zinfandel for a red. There are two in the under 10 range...others are around 30.

vandenberg - 11-14-2007 at 08:47 AM

And the pinnacle of snobbery is found among the world's "fine wine" connoisseurs.:biggrin::biggrin:

toneart - 11-14-2007 at 11:41 AM

Look for Meridian when it is on sale, and that is often; $5.99 at Long's. For the price I find it a lot more drinkable than most for under $10. I usually bring a couple of cases with me to Mulege. I mix cases with Cabernet, Chardonnay, and a couple bottles of Merlot.

Speaking of screw top, there are some Greeks that produce a good wine in Napa. The label is Screw Kappa Napa. It is under $10.
You can keep the name a secret and sip, or you can chug it and shout out the name............feels good to do that!:bounce:

Al G - 11-14-2007 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Funny thing about wines.
In the 60's, in the bar/restaurants, the best selling wines were

Ahh, the 60s...but I was just a mere pup then -- like TEN at the END of that decade!

Let us try the 50's when I was a mere....well,not really a pup. All the kids drank Thunder bird...Mad dog...and gallo Burgundy. Didn't find Zinfandel until the late 60's in Lodi...70's/80s I was doing an impression of a ""fine wine" connoisseur". Did not take long to discover I was not a sipper...I was a "2 buck chucker". Don't get me wrong...I have tasted some mighty fine wines and toured 80% of the winers in Northern California....70 % of wine does not exceed the taste of 2 buck chuck...There are some 2BC that is not great, but these are few and far between. Don't know how long Trader Joe can keep this up...and would like to thank them very much. Would not try to impress with 2BC, but it is my everyday wine.

Hook - 11-14-2007 at 12:31 PM

Docsmom, inquire around about the Cartlidge and Brown Sauv. Blanc. They put out a decent number of cases and it is superb. Not Rochioli or Gary Farrell great but excellent.

The La Bastide is from France, if you aren't boycotting. I get it for 9.99.........yes, a Roussanne for under 10.00 from the Frogs. Great stuff. Many people have not had a Roussanne and it is an unusual grape.

The Edna Valley Chard. was a good recommendation for a reasonable one.

For the bird suggestions, we like some of the dry rieslings from Washington like the Chateau St. Michelle or the Pine Ridge Chenin/Viognier. Or from France the Chateau Bealieu, Picpol de Pinet.

And, of course, the DuBoeuf Beaujolais Nouveaus should be here by now and under 10.00. A slight chill on this is nice.

We drink wine all turkey day; moving from lighter whites to the more complex whites and reds.

For sparklers, look to some of the cavas from Spain for decent Bruts and Blancs at reasonable prices.

[Edited on 11-14-2007 by Hook]

Fred - 11-14-2007 at 12:32 PM

Al G...........................I agree 2 buck chuck is hard to beat. Even at $3 in Las Vegas. Plus Trader Joe's does have some other greats buys each month in the 4-6 dollar range. Hell, when I was young it was "Red Mountain".

Mango - 11-14-2007 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

In another note, last week I ordered a glass of wine at a restaurant and was so impressed by the flavor and aroma I asked for the details.

It was La Cetto cabernet - and, WOW, substantial and fruity with blackberry flavors. It was wonderful!

A bottle of La Cetto Cabernet sells for about U.S. $6-7.00 in the various markets and licores stores,

I like the LA Cetto wines, I drink their Cabernet and Petite Sirah often. :P
They also sell them in 175ml and 350ml bottles at Calimax; which can be good if you want to take a few samples across the border for your friends and remain under the one liter limit.

Hook - 11-15-2007 at 11:52 AM

Just had a pretty good Chardonnay from Trader Joe's last night. Called Three Knights; it is a Russian River Chard. Good balance of oak and fruit and oak is minimal. Believe it was under five bucks.

Fred - 11-15-2007 at 11:57 AM

Thanks Hook...........I shop there every week when in Las Vegas. They are opening a "Fresh and Easy" store within walking distance of my house. Does anyone know if they have good wine buys?

speaking of cetto

sylens - 11-15-2007 at 12:16 PM

have you tried their nebbiolo? 10 buck range (ensenada costco) and quite good.:tumble::?:

wilderone - 11-15-2007 at 12:35 PM

"I'd like recommedations for a white and a red that I can serve to regular wine drinkers"
Georges DeBeouf Beaujolas (sp?) Nouveau is di rigueur for Thanksgiving turkey meal.

docsmom - 11-15-2007 at 12:42 PM

Thanks everybody! Looks like I'd better get busy. There are a lot of suggestions here that I probably should sample before I serve my guests (being the kind and generous hostess that I am!)
:saint::saint:

Paula - 11-15-2007 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Just had a pretty good Chardonnay from Trader Joe's last night. Called Three Knights; it is a Russian River Chard. Good balance of oak and fruit and oak is minimal. Believe it was under five bucks.

I brought one bottle of this when we came down this fall. No TJ's in Montana, so I can't keep up on their wines. Wish I had more!

toneart - 11-15-2007 at 04:12 PM

Trader Joe's is great.........for wine and food. The nearest one to Nevada City is about 60 miles away, but worth the once a month trek. We have been trying to lobby with TJ Corporate to put one in up here but they say we don't have the demographics to warrant it. Actually, it would be successful here because we have an upscale, yuppie/high tech profile, plus a huge retiree population and several world class gourmet restaurants. Unfortunately, Corporate needs more population in numbers. My Physician (my health regimen includes wine & cheese) knows the VP and has lobbied on my behalf, but what I have related here is from the doctor's mouth.

To keep this Baja related, I always stop in the Trader Joes in San Diego and load up on my way to Mulege. :smug::cool:

vivaloha - 11-15-2007 at 11:48 PM

Serious consideration for the box wine...
1) packs well - boxes not clinking breakable bottles...
2) less trash cuz it lasts longer -4 bottles in one box
3) doesn't spoil cuz air never touches the remainder
4) great at parties cuz guests can drink as much as they like
without having to open multiple bottles...

Target has pretty quality box wines...i know there's a bit of
stigmatization regarding the box wine thing, but it works in
europe...its a decent solution and worthy of second look...

jodiego - 11-20-2007 at 03:40 PM

Anyone know where you can get mexican wine in the USA. I asked at Trader Joes and they looked at me like "Mexican wine?", don't they just make beer and tequila.:fire:

Hook - 11-20-2007 at 03:47 PM

Except for the sake of buying wine because it happens to be from Mexico, I cant imagine buying any with all the good offerings from Spain, Argentina and Chile that are significantly LESS expensive and better.