Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: wine
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:10 PM
wine

For you connoisseurs Of Trader Joes $2 buck chucks. Walmart has come out with a California wine called Oak Leaf. It sells for $1.97 a bottle. It comes in most flavors. I found it in Arizona & Nevada. We tried a couple of bottles & bought more. I admit I'm no expert, but it tasted OK.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I need to go there tomorrow.
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:41 PM
Flavors?

Quote:
Originally posted by lewm
For you connoisseurs Of Trader Joes $2 buck chucks. Walmart has come out with a California wine called Oak Leaf. It sells for $1.97 a bottle. It comes in most flavors. I found it in Arizona & Nevada. We tried a couple of bottles & bought more. I admit I'm no expert, but it tasted OK.

Like strawberry and vanilla?

Thanks. For us 2BC fans anything less expensive is always a plus. :rolleyes:

Screw-top or fake cork?

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:52 PM

With that low-end stuff you're essentially buying box-wine repackaged in bottles--IMHO save yourself some money and buy the box.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:54 PM

actually box wine is being filled with better wines every year...

the lack of air in the bag keep the wine longer after opened

"try it you'll like it":biggrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:59 PM

Box wine is fine, but just does not work as well as a bottle at your table.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 05:06 PM

I will check out Wally World Wine...if it is not made in China:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Dave
Elite Nomad

wink.gif posted on 11-13-2007 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I will check out Wally World Wine...if it is not made in China:lol:

What with all the extra stuff they put in everything, a bottle of Chinese wine doesn't sound so bad.

I just need to find that "special someone" to share it with. :rolleyes:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 06:03 PM

Here's a couple inexpensive gems

Cartlidge and Brown Sauv. Blanc 05

Durand La Bastide Roussanne 06

Not 2.99, mind you. But some character.

Box wines are getting better, especially the Aussie Shiraz. But they are still rather thin, IMO.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

Flavored wine? Oh, that's too scary to touch! Screw tops and fake corks are being used more and more by better and better wineries. The really nice thing about the screw top is that you don't have remember the opener :bounce: Just like the boxes.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:34 PM

So, I'm looking for good tasting wines, under $10 bottle for Thanksgiving dinner. Available in the states 'cuz we'll be in Las Vegas for the holiday this year (waaahhh!).
I'd like recommedations for a white and a red that I can serve to regular wine drinkers.
Your recommendations?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:42 PM

Hook, do you buy those inexpensive gems in BCS? Of course inexpensive means $5 or $6 to me. $10 -$15 is pretty special.:biggrin: 2buck is actually decent everyday wine (OK, I do drink some almost every evening) but I don't see myself buying wine at Walmart. Don't buy much of anything else there, and don't see starting now.

Bajabound, I think he means like chardonnay and shiraz, not chocolate or butterscotch.

I think screwtop is great-- easy, new-wave, hip and groovy. Much better than those rubber corks that don't fit back in the bottle:dudette:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:45 PM

Livingston Cellars...Chardonay....screw top...yum-yum
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
So, I'm looking for good tasting wines, under $10 bottle for Thanksgiving dinner. Available in the states 'cuz we'll be in Las Vegas for the holiday this year (waaahhh!).
I'd like recommedations for a white and a red that I can serve to regular wine drinkers.
Your recommendations?

Alice White and Yellowtail are both good low end brands, both Australian, both well under $10 a bottle. Meridian is pretty safe. Ravenswood chardonnay and red zinfandel are nicer, maybe just a little over$10, at least in Montana.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:53 PM

DocsMom--can't go wrong with Edna Valley Chardonnay ($12)for the white, and a Pinot is always good with Turkey--good cheap ones though aren't so easy to find. Last year my sister brought a bottle of 2004 Lucia Winery Pinot and it was unbelievable and paired with the turkey perfectly...um, only thing is I think its around $50/ bottle...waahhh...Costco probably has some Cabs that will work.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 08:06 PM

Funny thing about wines.
In the 60's, in the bar/restaurants, the best selling wines were burgundy, pinot noir in the reds and sauterne, riesling in the whites, with fume and chablis just getting their popularity start. Never even heard the name Shiraz in those days.
Always wondered if the industry doesn't just make up new variety names when the newness of a variety wears off.
Can't tell me that the vineyards that produced the grapes in those days, al of a sudden quit producing or were replaced with other ones. You don't grow a vineyard overnight.
And now for you guys: As a connoisseur of fine wines, I stick to my 5 liter square " bottle " of fine Carlo Rossi Merlot.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 08:11 PM

Paula,
I've tried the Meridian, I agree, pretty safe. Thanks for the other suggestions.
Mex, you really had my attention with the Lucia 'till I saw $50 a bottle! I'd do it if my crowd would be happy with a sip but these folks will do at least 3 glasses per............ too rich for my blood at this gathering. (But I'll probably go to the wine store and get some for a private tasting :))
I'm still listening.........
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 08:25 PM
Box Wine

At the Calimax and Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito, they frequently have 1 liter boxes of red and white wine labeled Valle Redondo, California Vino Tinto or Blanco (There are nice graphics of a glass of red or white on the box). These wines are very drinkable immediately after opening and are great for adding a recipe that calls for wine. The price is roughly $2.50 per box.

In another note, last week I ordered a glass of wine at a restaurant and was so impressed by the flavor and aroma I asked for the details.

It was La Cetto cabernet - and, WOW, substantial and fruity with blackberry flavors. It was wonderful!

A bottle of La Cetto Cabernet sells for about U.S. $6-7.00 in the various markets and licores stores, BUT, if you are in a smalll volume tienda, check out how they store the wine and how fast the inventory is turned over.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 09:50 PM

docsmom........................when you get to Vegas.........go to Mr. Lee's.........................100's of bottle of wine at all prices.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Funny thing about wines.
In the 60's, in the bar/restaurants, the best selling wines were

Ahh, the 60s...but I was just a mere pup then -- like TEN at the END of that decade!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.