BajaNomad

Good sit down restaurant in Ensenada?

Tifosi - 11-28-2007 at 03:47 PM

Ok, I'm a roadside food junkie, so sit down places in Ensenada are unknown to me. I am going down this Friday with some friends and wanted to try something different than my regulars (El Pique, Tacos Fenix). Can someone recommend a few reasonable places ($20 or so per person) that has a good atmosphere and serves great food. Someplace that has both surf and turf for the varying tastes of our group. Even a place in wine country would be good as we might go tasting on Saturday.

Thanks .... Tifosi

vacaenbaja - 11-28-2007 at 03:57 PM

I don't know if the pricing structure fits , but El Rey Sol on the main street in Ensenada for
French Mexican Cuisine. Las Caszuelas where the road takes a turn seems to be popular amongts locals.

bajasammy - 11-28-2007 at 04:02 PM

If you don't mind driving out near Estero Beach, Mario's Restaurant is one of our favorites (reviewed by Bajabound in the Restaurant Review Section).

BajaNomad - 11-28-2007 at 04:57 PM

Admittedly my recent trips to/through Ensenada have included stops at Tacos Fenix and Mariscos Bahia Ensenada or Mariscos Playa Azul... so, I haven't been here in a while - and assume, but don't know if they're still open.... but it fits with what you described you desired:

La Embotelladora Vieja
Avenue Miramar 666

http://www.bajatimes.com/bajawine_tomas.asp

bent-rim - 11-28-2007 at 05:48 PM

Across the street of the northern end of the Bahia Hotel is a pretty decent sit down restaurant with steak and seafood. It has a decent wine list. It might be a little pricier than the amount you listed. I just can't remember the name of the place. The Bahia Hotel is located at Boulevard Costero y Lopez. Don't eat at the Bahia.

[Edited on 11-29-2007 by bent-rim]

bajamigo - 11-28-2007 at 05:57 PM

Restaurant 623 near Revolucion Square. May be more than 20 bucks, but it isn't Laja-range.

larry - 11-28-2007 at 06:18 PM

My highest recommendation goes to Mariscos Bahia Ensenada, on Riveroll just off Lopez Mateos. The atmosphere is nothing special, but the service is very good and the food is great: try the camaron, pulpo y calamar al ajo. Only seafood here.

bajaguy - 11-28-2007 at 07:06 PM

There are several in Ensenada. Las Casulezas on Gen Agusto Sanguines. next to Donna Donuts, just up from the navy base, they also have a second location behind the GM dealership on Costero - great for breakfast; Marios is always good, near the Estero Beach Hotel; if you want to drive to manedero, Los Mocajholtes (???) is good. try dos hermanos for carnitas or chicken, or if you want to eat in, get a chicken with extras at Pollo Titlitlan, both on highway 1 at the Estero Beach turn. looking for coffee, try D'Volada on Highway 1. If you want an upscale dinner, Sano's is the best. By the Hotel Coral.

DENNIS - 11-28-2007 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Donna Donuts

That would, of course, be Tutti Donas. Best Apple Fritters in the whole world.
Good choice, Terry.

bacquito - 11-28-2007 at 08:02 PM

I recently ate at the Najranjadas on the Tacate hwy. east of San Antonio de Las Minas and enjoyed it. Also, there is Heliothis (spelling? it is Greek for Abalone)) that is east of Cazuelas, on the same road as Cazuelas (Gen. Augusto Sanguines) but you cross Reforma hwy. and it is on the left. When I ate there it was great service, great seafood and somewhat pricey!
But frankly I really give most of my business to La Pollera lady on Ave. Zertuche and I eat tacos on Ave. Costero- I think it is called Mr. Taco. Another place you might consider and also on Ave. Costero is called Pampas. It is new. I ate at Pampas in Mexicalli and enjoyed it. As I recalled the price per person was about $16.00-$25.00.
Enjoy!!

Las Tortugas

Gypsy Jan - 11-28-2007 at 08:31 PM

on Blvd. Lopez Mateos, near Riveroli.

Very clean and attractive, offering American and Mexican breakfast, lunch and dinner options.

They take credit cards, including AMEX.

P.S. the family that operates the restaurant are very warm and friendly and the staff reflects that attitude.

Sallysouth - 11-28-2007 at 10:10 PM

OK, go to Estero Beach.You will not have an experience like this in all of the area(IMHO) You are sitting outside, overlooking a gorgoeus bay, to the west, watching the sunset, right over Punta Banda. The ambience and service is very good and the Mexican Combo is to die for.If you want a just so so place, then stop on the road.For a truely memorable dinner, follow the signs,about 6 miles south of Ensenada, it is located in a huge bay that is an estuary and has an amazing aura and feeling about it.Hey, it was my home for many years and when i go there the magic is still there.Yummy food and Great Margis!

rpleger - 11-28-2007 at 11:49 PM

The Joker use to have great steaks.
On the interstate, south of town.

bajabound2005 - 11-29-2007 at 08:18 AM

623 for sure! Not a typical restaurant. Very New York in appearance and menu. Lots of glass, very modern. Menu is definitely fusion. Last night we had swordfish steamed in banana leaves and it was outstanding (as were the other things we had). Excellent wine list at fair prices and they serve the wine in beautiful stemware. Service is a 10. You can most certainly get a fine meal for $20 a person including wine and dessert. There is something on the menu to please everyone: chicken, fish, beef, pasta and wood-fired pizza!

On Moctezuma #623, downtown Ensenada. Plenty of street parking and someone there to keep an eye on the clientele's vehicles.

Tifosi - 11-29-2007 at 10:39 AM

Great!!! Lots of fantastic suggestions, just what I expected from this family of Nomads! Thank you!! I now have several places to choose from and only wish I had more then a few days to try them all. I let you all know which we ended up at and how it was.

Keep 'em coming, there might be one yet to be listed!

Thank you .... Tifosi

Minnow - 11-29-2007 at 11:45 AM

The only place I consider for a fine meal in Ensenada is Las Rocas. Great food, Great service, and I consider the prices very reasonable. Shhhhhhh. Don't tell BB200? though.

tripledigitken - 11-29-2007 at 11:59 AM

I've heard they have an Applebee's now in Ensenada!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajaguy - 11-29-2007 at 12:01 PM

and a Dairy Queen and a Subways and a Pipers Pizza and a Starbucks............

sylens - 11-29-2007 at 12:46 PM

and "thai food." :O

in the food court of macroplaza del mar (where home depot and the cineplex are) there is a place that claims it is serving thai food. ;)

it is to thai what taco bell is to mexican.:lol::lol:

btw the absolute best is 623. minnow, give it a try. i guarantee you'll agree. when you're in town, give me a call and we'll treat you and your lovely wife to convince you:P

bajaguy - 11-29-2007 at 12:49 PM

Lili.....I am REALLY unconvinced!!!!!!!!.......:lol::lol::lol:

Minnow - 11-29-2007 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

in the food court of macroplaza del mar (where home depot and the cineplex are) there is a place that claims it is serving thai food. ;)

btw the absolute best is 623. minnow, give it a try. i guarantee you'll agree. when you're in town, give me a call and we'll treat you and your lovely wife to convince you:P

Honey, pack the car.:lol:

Lili, I know you have the inside info. Don't worry, we will get the tip.:lol:

sylens - 11-29-2007 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Lili.....I am REALLY unconvinced!!!!!!!!.......:lol::lol::lol:

you won't be for long. ;D

i have a feeling you'll be checking it out with bb2005 and bajamigo while steve and i are in guadalajara. but if not, then fer sure when we return from xmas and before you leave here, the offer's out to you and bajablonde too december 26th 7ish:tumble::tumble::tumble:

sylens - 11-29-2007 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

Honey, pack the car.:lol:

Lili, I know you have the inside info. Don't worry, we will get the tip.:lol:

just say when:bounce:

bajabound2005 - 11-29-2007 at 08:47 PM

when was the last time Las Rocas was in Ensenada? Isn't that a lot closer to say...Rosarito?

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by bajabound2005]

elgatoloco - 11-29-2007 at 09:13 PM

Casamar

Bob H - 11-29-2007 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Casamar

Elgatoloco ... what about Cocteileria Mazatlan on Avenida 10 across from the Bus Station?
Bob H

vacaenbaja - 11-29-2007 at 09:39 PM

There is a cafeteria across the street from the Policia Municipal station I believe, that seems to be popular with locals , and the police of course!
It serves up good typical breakfasts at a moderate price. Clean and good service. Not that it fits with the request in this thread. I just thought that I would mention it. Has anyone else tried this place?

bajaguy - 11-29-2007 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
There is a cafeteria across the street from the Policia Municipal station I believe, that seems to be popular with locals , and the police of course!
It serves up good typical breakfasts at a moderate price. Clean and good service. Not that it fits with the request in this thread. I just thought that I would mention it. Has anyone else tried this place?

Yup. It's Monica's. Great breakfasts. the place is exceptional and the wait staff is very attentive. Try the french toast......yummy.

Natalie Ann - 11-29-2007 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yup. It's Monica's. Great breakfasts. the place is exceptional and the wait staff is very attentive. Try the french toast......yummy.

Actually, that would be Monique's. A very good friend of mine is a server there. And their breakfasts are delicious. Please be sure to leave a big tip... I'm sure you'll feel she and the others deserve it.:yes::dudette:

Nena

bajaguy - 11-29-2007 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Quote:

Actually, that would be Monique's. A very good friend of mine is a server there. And their breakfasts are delicious. Please be sure to leave a big tip... I'm sure you'll feel she and the others deserve it.:yes::dudette:

Nena

Whatever the name, the french toast is really good!!!!

Monica changed her name to Monique when she got her FM-2

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by bajaguy]

mojo_norte - 12-1-2007 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Quote:

Nena

Whatever the name, the french toast is really good!!!!

Monica changed her name to Monique when she got her FM-2

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by bajaguy]

mojo_norte - 12-1-2007 at 06:59 PM

Yum! sounds good-Directions to Monique's...

bajaguy - 12-1-2007 at 07:05 PM

uh......I think it's on 10th street. It's across the street from the Ensenada Police Station.

Hose A....some help here please!!!!!!!!!!

bajabound2005 - 12-1-2007 at 07:15 PM

it's on 9th!!!

Minnow - 12-2-2007 at 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
when was the last time Las Rocas was in Ensenada? Isn't that a lot closer to say...Rosarito?

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by bajabound2005]

El Morro hotel Next to El Coral, and UABC.

elgatoloco - 12-2-2007 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Casamar

Elgatoloco ... what about Cocteileria Mazatlan on Avenida 10 across from the Bus Station?
Bob H

No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded! :biggrin:

Excellent food, cold beer, nice people.

Minnow - 12-2-2007 at 02:37 PM

I found Mazatlan only fair. The best place for seafood Coctails is Novalato. Across from the heads in a big cart.