BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Good sit down restaurant in Ensenada?
Tifosi
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja on my mind

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 03:47 PM
Good sit down restaurant in Ensenada?

Ok, I'm a roadside food junkie, so sit down places in Ensenada are unknown to me. I am going down this Friday with some friends and wanted to try something different than my regulars (El Pique, Tacos Fenix). Can someone recommend a few reasonable places ($20 or so per person) that has a good atmosphere and serves great food. Someplace that has both surf and turf for the varying tastes of our group. Even a place in wine country would be good as we might go tasting on Saturday.

Thanks .... Tifosi
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 03:57 PM

I don't know if the pricing structure fits , but El Rey Sol on the main street in Ensenada for
French Mexican Cuisine. Las Caszuelas where the road takes a turn seems to be popular amongts locals.
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 04:02 PM

If you don't mind driving out near Estero Beach, Mario's Restaurant is one of our favorites (reviewed by Bajabound in the Restaurant Review Section).
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 04:57 PM

Admittedly my recent trips to/through Ensenada have included stops at Tacos Fenix and Mariscos Bahia Ensenada or Mariscos Playa Azul... so, I haven't been here in a while - and assume, but don't know if they're still open.... but it fits with what you described you desired:

La Embotelladora Vieja
Avenue Miramar 666

http://www.bajatimes.com/bajawine_tomas.asp

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 05:48 PM

Across the street of the northern end of the Bahia Hotel is a pretty decent sit down restaurant with steak and seafood. It has a decent wine list. It might be a little pricier than the amount you listed. I just can't remember the name of the place. The Bahia Hotel is located at Boulevard Costero y Lopez. Don't eat at the Bahia.

[Edited on 11-29-2007 by bent-rim]
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 05:57 PM

Restaurant 623 near Revolucion Square. May be more than 20 bucks, but it isn't Laja-range.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 06:18 PM

My highest recommendation goes to Mariscos Bahia Ensenada, on Riveroll just off Lopez Mateos. The atmosphere is nothing special, but the service is very good and the food is great: try the camaron, pulpo y calamar al ajo. Only seafood here.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 07:06 PM

There are several in Ensenada. Las Casulezas on Gen Agusto Sanguines. next to Donna Donuts, just up from the navy base, they also have a second location behind the GM dealership on Costero - great for breakfast; Marios is always good, near the Estero Beach Hotel; if you want to drive to manedero, Los Mocajholtes (???) is good. try dos hermanos for carnitas or chicken, or if you want to eat in, get a chicken with extras at Pollo Titlitlan, both on highway 1 at the Estero Beach turn. looking for coffee, try D'Volada on Highway 1. If you want an upscale dinner, Sano's is the best. By the Hotel Coral.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Donna Donuts

That would, of course, be Tutti Donas. Best Apple Fritters in the whole world.
Good choice, Terry.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 08:02 PM

I recently ate at the Najranjadas on the Tacate hwy. east of San Antonio de Las Minas and enjoyed it. Also, there is Heliothis (spelling? it is Greek for Abalone)) that is east of Cazuelas, on the same road as Cazuelas (Gen. Augusto Sanguines) but you cross Reforma hwy. and it is on the left. When I ate there it was great service, great seafood and somewhat pricey!
But frankly I really give most of my business to La Pollera lady on Ave. Zertuche and I eat tacos on Ave. Costero- I think it is called Mr. Taco. Another place you might consider and also on Ave. Costero is called Pampas. It is new. I ate at Pampas in Mexicalli and enjoyed it. As I recalled the price per person was about $16.00-$25.00.
Enjoy!!

bacquito
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 08:31 PM
Las Tortugas

on Blvd. Lopez Mateos, near Riveroli.

Very clean and attractive, offering American and Mexican breakfast, lunch and dinner options.

They take credit cards, including AMEX.

P.S. the family that operates the restaurant are very warm and friendly and the staff reflects that attitude.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 10:10 PM

OK, go to Estero Beach.You will not have an experience like this in all of the area(IMHO) You are sitting outside, overlooking a gorgoeus bay, to the west, watching the sunset, right over Punta Banda. The ambience and service is very good and the Mexican Combo is to die for.If you want a just so so place, then stop on the road.For a truely memorable dinner, follow the signs,about 6 miles south of Ensenada, it is located in a huge bay that is an estuary and has an amazing aura and feeling about it.Hey, it was my home for many years and when i go there the magic is still there.Yummy food and Great Margis!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 11:49 PM

The Joker use to have great steaks.
On the interstate, south of town.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 08:18 AM

623 for sure! Not a typical restaurant. Very New York in appearance and menu. Lots of glass, very modern. Menu is definitely fusion. Last night we had swordfish steamed in banana leaves and it was outstanding (as were the other things we had). Excellent wine list at fair prices and they serve the wine in beautiful stemware. Service is a 10. You can most certainly get a fine meal for $20 a person including wine and dessert. There is something on the menu to please everyone: chicken, fish, beef, pasta and wood-fired pizza!

On Moctezuma #623, downtown Ensenada. Plenty of street parking and someone there to keep an eye on the clientele's vehicles.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Tifosi
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja on my mind

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 10:39 AM

Great!!! Lots of fantastic suggestions, just what I expected from this family of Nomads! Thank you!! I now have several places to choose from and only wish I had more then a few days to try them all. I let you all know which we ended up at and how it was.

Keep 'em coming, there might be one yet to be listed!

Thank you .... Tifosi
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:45 AM

The only place I consider for a fine meal in Ensenada is Las Rocas. Great food, Great service, and I consider the prices very reasonable. Shhhhhhh. Don't tell BB200? though.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:59 AM

I've heard they have an Applebee's now in Ensenada!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 12:01 PM

and a Dairy Queen and a Subways and a Pipers Pizza and a Starbucks............

sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 12:46 PM

and "thai food." :O

in the food court of macroplaza del mar (where home depot and the cineplex are) there is a place that claims it is serving thai food. ;)

it is to thai what taco bell is to mexican.:lol::lol:

btw the absolute best is 623. minnow, give it a try. i guarantee you'll agree. when you're in town, give me a call and we'll treat you and your lovely wife to convince you:P

lili
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 12:49 PM

Lili.....I am REALLY unconvinced!!!!!!!!.......:lol::lol::lol:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.