BajaNomad

Nomad Visits to Yosemite

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 09:45 AM

Awhile back we went to Columbia and Peru with BajaKen, had a jaunt through Morocco courtesy of Ken Bondy, and toured Arizona with DavidK and BajaAngel.

Today I'd like to share with you the grand beauty of Yosemite National Park. I invite anyone with images from Yosemite or the Sierras to feel free to join in, add your photos to this thread.

I'll begin with photos from my husband's Half Dome climb, as certainly they are the most spectacular images of the group.

This trip/climb had been organized by my girlfriend to celebrate her 50th birthday. She trained daily for 6 months before the climb. My disability prevented my from joining the group, but I sent Steve as my proxy. He trained one day - said it made all his muscles sore. I had some concern for him on the day the group left Berkeley.

The group did the climb over a 3-day period, camping along the way. Steve was feeling ill those first two days, felt better on day 3 and so did this entire climb alone - valley floor to top of the dome and back - in one day. He left late, about 7:30 a.m. He was blessed with a full moon for the hike down, and walked into camp about 1 a.m. The following photos show what an incredible adventure he had that day. I hope you enjoy them.

The challenge is Half Dome:

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 09:48 AM

It's a long hike up from the valley floor. Views along the way are stunning... first you see the waterfalls from a distance, then later the trail skirts the edges of the falls.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 09:54 AM

Arriving at the back of the Dome Steve got a good look at the last portion of the hike - up and over the back of the Dome. Many folks quit at this spot. Perhaps you'll see why.

Look carefully to see the long skinny poles/chain to help you pull yourself straight up.

Stacks of leather gloves are provided at the bottom of the ladder.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 09:57 AM

After the ladder climb comes a trek through frozen snow.

And as soon as you pass the snow cap, folks fall to the rock with a need to rest. All except for this one dude... he seems to have had the need to phone home.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:02 AM

And now for the main reason one might want to do this grueling climb.... the view from the top.

These folks are sitting a bit back from the edge. Steve sat ON the edge, with his legs hanging over the side. Said it was awesome at first, but after about 15 minutes he suddenly began to develop a fear of moving. Took him awhile to slide backwards and stand.

David K - 12-11-2007 at 10:04 AM

WOW!!!

Great Natalie, thanks!

Ayers Rock in Australia had a chain on poles up the side to climb to the top (in 1970, anyway when I went up) that your photo reminded me of.

Al G - 12-11-2007 at 10:05 AM

This is too incredible, I feel almost as if I were there...WoW:o:o

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:07 AM

Yosemite National Park is famous for its many waterfalls.

There's Yosemite Falls - upper and lower:

And Vernal Falls (at least, I think this is Vernal):

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:10 AM

When you visit these falls from the valley floor or along a trail, most always you leave pretty wet. Some folks wear rain jackets with the hoods up, some brave it and leave looking like they've attended a wet t-shirt contest, but we felt the Garbage Bag Girlz had the easiest/best solution.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:18 AM

There are also lots of bears in Yosemite... many of which wander into camp grounds in search of food. The usual approach is to try to capture the bear and return it to the high country. On a recent camping trip, I learned how that's done....

The Bear Trap.
If I have this figured correctly, the steel drum cage is hauled to an appropriate location. The pink box on the front is removed, filled with food, and with lid open is pushed to the back of the cage. The round door (right end of cage in photo) is raised, but falls closed after the bear enters and rattles around getting the food from the open box. Then said bear in trap is pulled to a good location for release, and the larger square back door (left side on photo) is opened for bear's release. Perhaps not so fascinating to you, but I found it pretty darn interesting.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:20 AM

Yosemite and the Sierras are great for bird watching. While hiking, I saw this lovely Acorn Woodpecker:

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 10:31 AM

Beautiful photos. I felt like I was on the top of that mountain with you. I was scared to move my office chair! (kind of afraid of heights).
Thank you, each photo was like a post card.
P<*)))><

bajajudy - 12-11-2007 at 10:39 AM

Spectacular, Nena
Although I have been many times, I have never made it to the dome...now I dont have to!;)

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:45 AM

Bruce - read my opening paragraph first post.... several Nomads have taken us on a non-Baja vacation recently.:biggrin:

bbbait - 12-11-2007 at 10:51 AM

They are all beautiful photos! Bruce is an as_hole!

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:53 AM

Coming down out of Yosemite, one can explore the Eastern Sierras. They're especially beautiful in the autumn, when all the Aspens turn to gold. When I see this road, I feel the need to follow it.

By following the road to the many lakes and streams and by getting up in the frosty pre-dawn hours, the simple sights to behold are, well, wondrous. I loved the steam rising form this stream one chill morning.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:59 AM

I'm so happy that some of you are enjoying this collection of photos. Be sure to understand that the images from the Half Dome Climb and the waterfall landscapes were all shot by Steve, the real photog in the family. The remainder are my little snapshots.

Just across the road from the Eastern Sierras is an incredible salt water lake filled with tufa formations. It's name is Mono Lake. We caught this gorgeous sunrise on the way to explore it the following morning.

BornFisher - 12-11-2007 at 11:06 AM

Quite a trek for turning 50.
When I turned 50, I just took a few grandkids to Disneyland so I could feel like a kid!
Scarred of heights? Not me, but I am afraid I`ll snap and jump off!!!
Yousemite is always great, thanks

Bob H - 12-11-2007 at 11:10 AM

Hey, come on.... this is a fellow Nomad posting some fabulous images. Cut the crap and enjoy!

Wow, I never get involved in this kinda stuff... but I just had-ta speak up.

Bob H

Bruce R Leech - 12-11-2007 at 11:17 AM

this is a nice trip report and beautiful photos. it is just posted in the wrong place.

Bob H - 12-11-2007 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
this is a nice trip report and beautiful photos. it is just posted in the wrong place.

You are now promoted to "Hall monitor"... :tumble:

Bruce R Leech - 12-11-2007 at 11:19 AM

Thanks Bob:lol:

Minnow - 12-11-2007 at 11:29 AM

Bob, I want a promotion too.:bounce:

Ken Bondy - 12-11-2007 at 11:30 AM

Magnificent Nena, enjoyed them all!! Thanks,
++Ken++

vandenberg - 12-11-2007 at 11:30 AM

Natalie,
For 25 years, while living in Sacramento, Yosemite was on the agenda twice a year, in the spring and fall. Tent camped, stayed in the Curry village cabin tents ( froze our burro off ), motorhome and camper in the lower river campground, etc.
Besides the Monterey peninsula, one of my favorite places in California.
Thanks very much for bringing back beautiful memories.
And the pictures are spectacular.:yes::yes:

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 11:51 AM

Vandenberg... From the time we moved to California in the late seventies, we spent most every weekend in the Yosemite high country. To this day when my son is stressed from work, he drives to Yosemite, climbs the Dome, drives home again. Says he's completely relaxed before he reaches the top.

Now that my son is grown, Steve and I only get to Yosemite about once a season... and to be honest, it has been awhile since I've seen winter in Yosemite. Most of the photos I've posted are from July-September 2006.

Since I can't make it to Baja until January or February, we're considering a Christmas tour of Yosemite this year. Anyone with winter Yosemite pix or some of the Easter Sierras? I'd love to see them added.

Nena

Not related to Baja???

DianaT - 12-11-2007 at 04:34 PM

Sure it is----just follow along

Looking down on the Eastern Sierra from the Whites.

The Aspens near Lundy Lake looking down on Mono Lake

Interesting late fall afternoon shadows on the rocks at Convict Lake

Ah, and the fairly new Lone Pine Movie museum--they were still painting the outside mural ---Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills where Under Mexicali Stars was shot in 1950 as well as Down Mexico Way in about 1940----see, it is all related to Mexico and Baja. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And the famous High Sierra Car driven by Bogart---hey, arn't those mountains still the Sierras in Baja? :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, California is only Alta California. :tumble::tumble:

Diane

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by jdtrotter]

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 05:09 PM

Excellent photos, Diane. I love the White Mountains, Mono Lake, the the ghost town of Bodie.

Those bear traps, Pompano - thanks for sharing. I especially like that bear with the bare legs and wearing white sox.... the one hiding behind the open trap door. Hairy bear, he is.;D

Nena

mtgoat666 - 12-11-2007 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Steve was feeling ill those first two days, felt better on day 3 and so did this entire climb alone - valley floor to top of the dome and back - in one day. He left late, about 7:30 a.m. He was blessed with a full moon for the hike down, and walked into camp about 1 a.m.

most excellent. if he accomplished half-dome in a day, tell him to shoot for doing something like whitney in a day.
nothing is more satisfying than cranking out one-day endurance hikes/runs on high peaks. seems like there is never enough time for long weekend backpacks, so gotta maximize the time to bag the peaks.

Yosemite in winter

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:07 PM

A few years back I was lucky enough to be in yosemite valley during a snowstorm.

Last signs of previous summer

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:11 PM

On the Merced

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:16 PM

pine roots getting first snow

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:26 PM

Ice along the shore of the Merced

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:36 PM

Oak in snowstorm

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:48 PM

I liked this rock. Do you?

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 07:56 PM

It's silent and calm now

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 08:04 PM

Paula - 12-11-2007 at 08:07 PM

Nena, thank you for starting this beautiful thread!

A love of mountains knows no boundaries-- Baja, California, Montana, New York state, they are all connected. In fact I'm sending the link to my son-in law in NY who loves mountains, climbing and getting to the very top.

Igor, your winter shots make me want to go north for a quick glimpse of icy beauty!

Ken Bondy - 12-11-2007 at 08:10 PM

Igor those photos are STUNNING. ++Ken++

I guess I'm just a tree lover

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 08:16 PM

Frosted branches along the Merced

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 08:29 PM

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 08:30 PM

omigosh Igor, when I hoped someone would post winter shots... well, I had no idea... those photos are incredible!:o:wow:

The trees - all of 'em - are beautiful, have an almost spiritual quality to some of them. But that Ice on the Merced has to be my hands down favorite image - for the moment anyway.:yes:;D

You and Diane have helped me make up my mind. Gonna get out of my snow suit and winter boots and head to Yosemite for my winter get-away. Thank you both so very much.

Nena

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 08:31 PM

Igor, I hate snow, but LOVED your photos. I liked that rock. I could see a face in it. They were just too beautiful.

P<*)))><

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 08:32 PM

Missed your post, Roger, while I was posting. Thanks for updating my winter wish list... now I wanta got to Montana, also.:bounce:

Nena

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 08:35 PM

Merry Christmas to you all.

Wiles - 12-11-2007 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Awesome pictures everyone. Anyone see a giant frozen oarfish in this one or is it just past my bedtime? :O

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 08:47 PM

Diane - Lundy Lake... isn't that just the most gorgeous drive and place to be for autumn color? And I love your picture of the area around Convict Lake... we used to hike around there, making up stories about lurking bad guys along the way.

And this news about the High Sierra Theater and Bogart's car - very Baja interesting.;D Thanks you much for telling us that.

A merry Christmas to you, too, Igor. Thanks for the excellent present. And btw.... the oak in a snowstorm along with that very first image are now tied for ones I like best, along with the Ice one mentioned earlier.

Nena

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 08:47 PM

A hungry oarfish?

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 08:48 PM

I've heard that oarfish paddle upstream from Baja - their winter migration.

Nena

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2007 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
And btw.... the oak in a snowstorm along with that very first image are now tied for ones I like best, along with the Ice one mentioned earlier.

Give the rock some time. It will grow on you.

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Oh I do like the rock... it's little 'oh!' face. Looking at it, I'm pretty sure it's a girl rock.

Nena

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-11-2007 at 09:45 PM

Too cold for me!

Sallysouth - 12-11-2007 at 10:00 PM

I like the "o" face rock and also see a Moray Eel there! Nena, Love the steam from the stream pic, so etheral,as if in a fairy tale! Fantastics pics all!!

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 10:00 PM

Nena,
I see the little "Oh" face with the white eyes, then I also see a shark to the right, then there's a dog to the left.

It's like seeing shapes in clouds, or in rocks...it happens to me all the time.

P<*)))><

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2007 at 10:15 PM

Yep, you're right Paulina... I see some other tiny faces, too. Whenever I see those faces in rocks and trees and such, I consider that the face of the diva or natural spirit of the item or area. I love walking along, seeing all these ethereal beings along the way. Igor's rock is surely filled with life. It makes me smile.

Nena

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 10:20 PM

Thank you Nena, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Bruce R Leech - 12-12-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Awhile back we went to Columbia and Peru with BajaKen, had a jaunt through Morocco courtesy of Ken Bondy, and toured Arizona with DavidK and BajaAngel.

Today I'd like to share with you the grand beauty of Yosemite National Park. I invite anyone with images from Yosemite or the Sierras to feel free to join in, add your photos to this thread.

I'll begin with photos from my husband's Half Dome climb, as certainly they are the most spectacular images of the group.

This trip/climb had been organized by my girlfriend to celebrate her 50th birthday. She trained daily for 6 months before the climb. My disability prevented my from joining the group, but I sent Steve as my proxy. He trained one day - said it made all his muscles sore. I had some concern for him on the day the group left Berkeley.

The group did the climb over a 3-day period, camping along the way. Steve was feeling ill those first two days, felt better on day 3 and so did this entire climb alone - valley floor to top of the dome and back - in one day. He left late, about 7:30 a.m. He was blessed with a full moon for the hike down, and walked into camp about 1 a.m. The following photos show what an incredible adventure he had that day. I hope you enjoy them.

The challenge is Half Dome:

Board Rules
Summary:

Please use common sense.

Authorized Use Policy:

1. Topics within the BajaNomad.com forums will pertain the Baja California, Mexico peninsula.

2. Topics should be posted in the forum most applicable to the subject of the posting. Advertising is only allowed in the Classifieds section.

User Agreement:

1. Q87 International(TM) (the "Service") and its affiliate sites (the "Sites") are accessible worldwide to anyone with Internet access. Access to and use of the Service and the Sites are subject to the terms and conditions of this User Agreement and Copyright Notice and all applicable laws and regulations, including laws and regulations governing copyright and trademark. BY ACCESSING THE SERVICE AND THE SITES, YOU ACCEPT, WITHOUT LIMITATION OR QUALIFICATION, ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN THIS USER AGREEMENT. Q87 International and its affiliates reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time. The changes will appear on this screen. By using the Service and the Sites, you agree in advance to accept any changes.

2. The materials used and displayed on the Service and the Sites, including but not limited to text, software, photographs, graphics, illustrations and artwork, video, music and sound, and names, logos, trademarks and service marks, are the property of Q87 International or its affiliates or licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such content may be displayed solely for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of Q87 International or the appropriate affiliate.

3. The Service and the Sites contain information, facts and opinions from various individuals and organizations. THE SERVICE AND THE SITES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OTHER THAN THOSE WARRANTIES WHICH ARE IMPOSED BY AND INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION, RESTRICTION OR MODIFICATION UNDER THE LAWS APPLICABLE TO THIS AGREEMENT. NEITHER Q87 INTERNATIONAL NOR ITS AFFILIATES ENDORSE OR ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENT ON THE SERVICE OR THE SITES.

4. The Service and the Sites include bulletin boards, chat rooms, and travelers' opinion pages which allow you and other users to post information, provide feedback to Q87 International and its affiliates, and interact in real-time. You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Q87 International, its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, agents and representatives against, any claim arising from any material that you post or transmit. Although Q87 International and its affiliates may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, pages submitted and bulletin boards on the Site, neither Q87 International nor its affiliates is under any obligation to do so. You acknowledge that Q87 International and its affiliates do not control the information available on the bulletin boards and chat rooms and that any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content presented or disseminated on any bulletin board, traveler's opinion page or in any chat room are those of their respective authors who are solely liable for their content. Q87 International and its affiliates reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to edit, refuse to post or remove any material submitted to or posted on the chat rooms or bulletin boards.

5. Your use of the Service and the Sites is at your own risk. NEITHER Q87 INTERNATIONAL NOR ANY OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES OR LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY LOSS OR INJURY OR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR SIMILAR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SERVICE AND THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SERVICE AND THE SITES OR ARISING OUT OF ANY ACTION TAKEN IN RESPONSE TO OR AS A RESULT OF ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SERVICE AND THE SITES. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AGAINST Q87 INTERNATIONAL AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AND THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THEREON.

6. Any communication or material you post or transmit to the Service and/or the Sites is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary. You assume full responsibility for anything you post or transmit, and you grant Q87 International and its affiliates the right to edit, copy, publish and distribute any information or content you post or transmit for any purpose.

7. Q87 International and its affiliates do not review or monitor any web sites linked to the Service and the Sites and are not responsible for the content of any such linked web sites. Your linking to such web sites is at your own risk.

8. You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., user name, email address) on a bulletin board, travel opinion page, or in a chat room, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other parties.

9. This User Agreement and any disputes arising out of or related to the Service and the Sites shall be governed by, and construed and enforced in accordance with, the laws of the State of California.

SiReNiTa - 12-12-2007 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Igor, I hate snow, but LOVED your photos. I liked that rock. I could see a face in it. They were just too beautiful.

P<*)))><

:o:?:how could anyone hate snow?????????????

SiReNiTa - 12-12-2007 at 05:14 PM

no really guys...ok ok i knw this is not a baja post but...you gotta give nena credit for the amazing pic's...i have spent a few summers in he sierra nevada...and if you accept a recomendation...all sierra lovers should go to the sierra nevada alliance conference..it is every year in july i think...i have been there a few times and had the honor to be a speaker once...it's amazing...sighn up!! ok ok back to baja folks... thanks nena!!!

Baja and Yosemite

Skeet/Loreto - 12-14-2007 at 11:13 AM

Thanks Nat for all the wonderful Photos of Yosemite!

The following is written from the Heart, it may not be suitable for the Weakminded Naysayers .
Nat. I did not want to Hijack your Thread so decided to wait a time for my reply to your Beautifull Post.

Went to work in Yosemite Nat. Park as a House Detective for the Curry Co., working 4 Summers while I attented College in Fresno.
All of those Photos brought back so many Memories of One of the Most Beautiful places in the World as well as All the Beautifull places in Baja when I compared them.

Watched the Famous"FireFall" so many times, as well as counting the Lighting Strikes as they flashed off of Half Dome.
Then worked at Badger Pass as a Ski Patrolman during the Winter. There is still a Platt with my Name as the Winner of the Silver Ski Race at Badger.

Then on to Baja in 1967 to enjoy Beautifull Baja with its Great Sunrises and Sunsets, The Sea of Cortez a most Rare Jewel of a Sea, The 35 Waterfalls near Loreto on a Rainy Day, the vast Desert, The Cactus, The Fish and Wildlife.

Both of these places are dear to my Heart and played a great Part in teaching me to be Aware of the Beauty of Life arounds us, no matter in what Location.

You have done that in your life.

Skeet/Loreto

Skipjack Joe - 12-14-2007 at 02:57 PM

It's unfortunate Skeet that you couldn't respond on the yosemite thread itself. It's been locked now for a couple of days. I'm not sure exactly why as threads are still being created that have nothing to do with baja. So, presumably, it can't be the subject matter any longer.

Natalie Ann - 12-14-2007 at 03:02 PM

And thank you Skeet - I'm so glad you enjoyed all the photos on that thread. I had not yet come to California when they did the firefalls - but I've seen the old movies and it seems a wondrous sight. Yep, Yosemite has always been a favorite of mine right along with Baja.

It was nice to hear from you, amigo. You and yours have a really happy Christmas and New Year.

Nena

Hook - 12-14-2007 at 04:08 PM

Skeet, you been getting any of these ice storms out your way?

Skeet/Loreto - 12-14-2007 at 05:25 PM

Hook: Just getting ready to do a Post. Check it out.
SkipJack Joe; This is for you!
The following is why many people post about other things in their Life.
As Nomads and getting to know each other, our experiences in words sometimes makes a connection with another Nomad, thereby "Getting to know each other Better!!

I first hooked up with Nat several years ago insome good discussions on this Board Surprised to find that we shared Baja She a Berkerelyite, me an old Cowboy from Texas. Getting to know and respect People who have had differrant experiences in Life is the Basis of Caring, Kindness, respect.
Something that seems to be missing in many of the People of Today

Capt. Mike and I share "Flying", Pomp and I share Fishing, David K. and I share a Love of Adventure and many other things brought about about our Postings.
I have Faith and Hope that you will try to understand your Fellowman/Women as you aquire that Knowledge you will begin to understand all the good Qualities of Nature.

God Bless you

Skeet/Loreto

Skipjack Joe - 12-14-2007 at 05:53 PM

I understand what you're saying completely. We are a community of bajanomads sharing our lives and thoughts with one another. That's what makes the board rewarding.

If someone's enjoying a fine cigar and wants to share that pleasure. I enjoy seeing the smoke rise and the pleasure on their face.

I someone is enjoying a good movie one evening I enjoy hearing their pleasure in that.

If someone has written a manuscript and wants our opinion I am glad to read it and offer my thoughts.

These are the things that make an interesting website.

I mean, how many times can you make the same post telling people how many hours it takes to go from the border to Catavina and remind them to stop at Rancho Santa Inez? Fred Metcalf's bulletin board is like that and there are about 5 posts a day.