Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Nomad Visits to Yosemite
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 09:45 AM
Nomad Visits to Yosemite

Awhile back we went to Columbia and Peru with BajaKen, had a jaunt through Morocco courtesy of Ken Bondy, and toured Arizona with DavidK and BajaAngel.

Today I'd like to share with you the grand beauty of Yosemite National Park. I invite anyone with images from Yosemite or the Sierras to feel free to join in, add your photos to this thread.

I'll begin with photos from my husband's Half Dome climb, as certainly they are the most spectacular images of the group.

This trip/climb had been organized by my girlfriend to celebrate her 50th birthday. She trained daily for 6 months before the climb. My disability prevented my from joining the group, but I sent Steve as my proxy. He trained one day - said it made all his muscles sore. I had some concern for him on the day the group left Berkeley.

The group did the climb over a 3-day period, camping along the way. Steve was feeling ill those first two days, felt better on day 3 and so did this entire climb alone - valley floor to top of the dome and back - in one day. He left late, about 7:30 a.m. He was blessed with a full moon for the hike down, and walked into camp about 1 a.m. The following photos show what an incredible adventure he had that day. I hope you enjoy them.

The challenge is Half Dome:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 09:48 AM

It's a long hike up from the valley floor. Views along the way are stunning... first you see the waterfalls from a distance, then later the trail skirts the edges of the falls.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 09:54 AM

Arriving at the back of the Dome Steve got a good look at the last portion of the hike - up and over the back of the Dome. Many folks quit at this spot. Perhaps you'll see why.

Look carefully to see the long skinny poles/chain to help you pull yourself straight up.

Stacks of leather gloves are provided at the bottom of the ladder.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 09:57 AM

After the ladder climb comes a trek through frozen snow.

And as soon as you pass the snow cap, folks fall to the rock with a need to rest. All except for this one dude... he seems to have had the need to phone home.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:02 AM

And now for the main reason one might want to do this grueling climb.... the view from the top.

These folks are sitting a bit back from the edge. Steve sat ON the edge, with his legs hanging over the side. Said it was awesome at first, but after about 15 minutes he suddenly began to develop a fear of moving. Took him awhile to slide backwards and stand.

.....Oscar Wilde
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:04 AM

WOW!!!

Great Natalie, thanks!

Ayers Rock in Australia had a chain on poles up the side to climb to the top (in 1970, anyway when I went up) that your photo reminded me of.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:05 AM

This is too incredible, I feel almost as if I were there...WoW:o:o

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:07 AM

Yosemite National Park is famous for its many waterfalls.

There's Yosemite Falls - upper and lower:

And Vernal Falls (at least, I think this is Vernal):

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:10 AM

When you visit these falls from the valley floor or along a trail, most always you leave pretty wet. Some folks wear rain jackets with the hoods up, some brave it and leave looking like they've attended a wet t-shirt contest, but we felt the Garbage Bag Girlz had the easiest/best solution.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:18 AM

There are also lots of bears in Yosemite... many of which wander into camp grounds in search of food. The usual approach is to try to capture the bear and return it to the high country. On a recent camping trip, I learned how that's done....

The Bear Trap.
If I have this figured correctly, the steel drum cage is hauled to an appropriate location. The pink box on the front is removed, filled with food, and with lid open is pushed to the back of the cage. The round door (right end of cage in photo) is raised, but falls closed after the bear enters and rattles around getting the food from the open box. Then said bear in trap is pulled to a good location for release, and the larger square back door (left side on photo) is opened for bear's release. Perhaps not so fascinating to you, but I found it pretty darn interesting.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:20 AM

Yosemite and the Sierras are great for bird watching. While hiking, I saw this lovely Acorn Woodpecker:

.....Oscar Wilde
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:31 AM

Beautiful photos. I felt like I was on the top of that mountain with you. I was scared to move my office chair! (kind of afraid of heights).
Thank you, each photo was like a post card.
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:39 AM

Spectacular, Nena
Although I have been many times, I have never made it to the dome...now I dont have to!;)

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:45 AM

Bruce - read my opening paragraph first post.... several Nomads have taken us on a non-Baja vacation recently.:biggrin:

.....Oscar Wilde
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:51 AM

They are all beautiful photos! Bruce is an as_hole!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:53 AM

Coming down out of Yosemite, one can explore the Eastern Sierras. They're especially beautiful in the autumn, when all the Aspens turn to gold. When I see this road, I feel the need to follow it.

By following the road to the many lakes and streams and by getting up in the frosty pre-dawn hours, the simple sights to behold are, well, wondrous. I loved the steam rising form this stream one chill morning.

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 10:59 AM

I'm so happy that some of you are enjoying this collection of photos. Be sure to understand that the images from the Half Dome Climb and the waterfall landscapes were all shot by Steve, the real photog in the family. The remainder are my little snapshots.

Just across the road from the Eastern Sierras is an incredible salt water lake filled with tufa formations. It's name is Mono Lake. We caught this gorgeous sunrise on the way to explore it the following morning.

.....Oscar Wilde
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 11:06 AM

Quite a trek for turning 50.
When I turned 50, I just took a few grandkids to Disneyland so I could feel like a kid!
Scarred of heights? Not me, but I am afraid I`ll snap and jump off!!!
Yousemite is always great, thanks
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 11:10 AM

Hey, come on.... this is a fellow Nomad posting some fabulous images. Cut the crap and enjoy!

Wow, I never get involved in this kinda stuff... but I just had-ta speak up.

Bob H
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 11:17 AM

this is a nice trip report and beautiful photos. it is just posted in the wrong place.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.