BajaNomad

Costco Batteries - Price Increase

MrBillM - 12-15-2007 at 11:48 AM

Picked up another pair of Golf-Cart Deep Cycle Batteries from Costco last week.

$88.59 each (plus $5.00 if you have no exchange). A substantial increase.

Mr Bill

tortuga - 12-15-2007 at 12:25 PM

How long do those batteries generally last ? Thanks Tortuga

Bob and Susan - 12-15-2007 at 01:06 PM

costco in usa or mexico???

what's the amp hour on those

i need to get four 6v this week for a friend

BajaWarrior - 12-15-2007 at 01:56 PM

I saw that price for the 6volt batteries at the Costco on Morena Blvd. in San Diego. I waited too long as we are replacing ours come Feburary.

The price went up about $20 each.

Costco - USA

MrBillM - 12-15-2007 at 02:33 PM

I neglected to note that it was a Costco North of the Border.

As BajaWarrior noted, that is approx a $20 increase from last month.

Average life cycle (for me) has been around Four years. I've always replaced them before failure, though.

wornout - 12-15-2007 at 02:52 PM

I was told at Bodings in El Centro that the price of lead went up and so did the price of all their batteries. Of course the price of lead went up, China has bought all the lead to put it in the paint they use on all the toys they send the United States.

vgabndo - 12-15-2007 at 04:35 PM

So at $88.00 in the USA then add (what?) 27 % duty at the border, that's about $112.00 in Mexico. Are they that expensive at a Mexican outlet???? Seems like it would be cheaper to get them below the border.

Bob and Susan - 12-15-2007 at 05:05 PM

yes how much are they at costco in ensenada

anyone????

aliibike - 12-15-2007 at 05:54 PM

I think they were $1100 pesos in Cabo last week. They were $650 a couple months ago. Hard to find Trojan T-105 for much less than $150 US. Ouch!

BajaWarrior - 12-15-2007 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
So at $88.00 in the USA then add (what?) 27 % duty at the border, that's about $112.00 in Mexico. Are they that expensive at a Mexican outlet???? Seems like it would be cheaper to get them below the border.

That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them? Not cheaper in Baja, they're getting $200 a pop for Trojans in San Felipe.

You can get twelve batteries wide in a full size bed up at the front, cut two peices of plywood to cover top and side, stack with your regular camping junk, bags, chairs, whatever on top, head south.

Also a good deal on batteries at Powerstride on Kurtz St. in San Diego.

[Edited on 12-16-2007 by BajaWarrior]

The Golf Cart Batteries...

Mexray - 12-15-2007 at 09:35 PM

Typically are built with 225 Amp Hour capacity. They have rugged rubber separators and will last many years if cared for properly.

1 Keep in fully charged condition - don't overcharge!
2 Make sure fluid level remains above plates.
3 Use ONLY distilled water - well water has dissolved minerals that will precipitate out onto the places, reducing capacity over time.
4 Design battery bank so you only have to use about half of the amp hour capacity between recharge 'cycles'...the bank will then last longer in useful years of service.
5.Yada, Yada, Yada....

Being in the battery business, the recent higher prices in the LEAD market are driving us crazy! Small outlets like ours, that work with a smaller inventory that's replenished often, are greatly effected by the rapid rise in LEAD prices. The Costco's of the world, working with large inventories can hold the line on their prices longer...however they eventually have to raise prices to make a profit, just like the rest of us.

The higher demand for all metals is driving these prices...I believe the Iraq and Afgan War's are to blame, as is the rapid expansion of the economies in China, India, 3rd world, et all. Those M16's and the 50 Cal machine guns use lots and lots of LEAD!

Also, the Military sized part number 6TL batteries (they are a special size, about 12 inches square) are impossible for us to buy for domestic use! ALL battery Mfg's that make this special size battery sell all they make to our Military! Those of you that have been around any Military trucks will probably remember seeing those 'square' 12 volt batteries under the hood...they us em' everywhere, in the Humvee's too.

The open market price of LEAD as a commodity rose over 30% in the month of Sept., alone! There is some recent slow down of this escalation in the past couple of weeks, so we may see some leveling out soon...I sure hope so!

Our prices for the Golf Cart batteries are around the mid-90's currently. Powerstride in SD is indeed a good source, as they are a 'cousin' in the business with us. They sell the 'US Battery' brand, Mfg in Corona, CA, among Batteries from other Mfg's. The Golf Cart battery made by US Battery are second to none!

Expect to see more battery price increases soon...Jan-Feb are months that the Mfg's usually adjust their prices again!

vgabndo - 12-16-2007 at 03:00 AM

"That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them?"

Good question. How about : To be ethical, responsible, accountable, and one of a very small group making the effort to aim America back toward the moral high ground.

Just a thought.

You can put a hungry Mexican in the same spot in your pick up truck and take him across the border on the way back. You could probably make a few bucks on the deal too.

You'd approve of that too huh?

BajaWarrior - 12-16-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
"That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them?"

Good question. How about : To be ethical, responsible, accountable, and one of a very small group making the effort to aim America back toward the moral high ground.

Just a thought.

You can put a hungry Mexican in the same spot in your pick up truck and take him across the border on the way back. You could probably make a few bucks on the deal too.

You'd approve of that too huh?

It makes up for "traffic tickets".:lol:

If you've brought groceries into Mexico over the amount of $50 for yourself, you've broken "their law."

Besides, the last two times we imported goods to build our new home going through Declaration, they insisted on a cash payment in the parking lot.

I would be happy to oblige if the rules were consistent.

Back on Topic, MEXRAY, what are you getting for the equivalent of a Trojan 105 these days?

Coping with Guilt

MrBillM - 12-16-2007 at 10:01 AM

Although I have NEVER felt pangs of guilt when not declaring goods entering Mexico, I realize that there are some of the more sensitive souls among us who do.

Depending on the level of goods transported and the degree of guilt generated by same, it might be worth checking out your Insurance coverage to see what a session (or sessions for the truly Guilt-consumed) of Mental Health Therapy would cost.

It could be that therapy to cure your unreasoned guilt would be cheaper than paying all of that duty you feel obliged to.

Worth a try.

Paladin - 12-16-2007 at 01:11 PM

Well I just got back from my Ethical Therapy Session

US...too many rules

Mexico...less rules

Me like um Mexico better

Me no um pay 17%

Me feel good um

BajaWarrior....

Mexray - 12-16-2007 at 02:14 PM

225 amp, 6 volt deep cycle 'golf cart' type batteries, about $96 currently. Just like the Trojan brand...the same guts inside the case, only they are not 'maroon' in color...ours are made by US Battery or Ramcar, both located in So-Cal area.

And believe it or not, we're not paying much less than the price Costco is charging currently! It's a rough business, these days, and we have to bolster our profits by scrounging as many 'cores' as we can...the higher prices of LEAD affects the money we get for cores, as well.

It's hard for me to get my brain wrapped around these escalated prices...about three years ago, we were paying less that half what we're paying now!

BajaWarrior - 12-16-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
225 amp, 6 volt deep cycle 'golf cart' type batteries, about $96 currently. Just like the Trojan brand...the same guts inside the case, only they are not 'maroon' in color...ours are made by US Battery or Ramcar, both located in So-Cal area.

And believe it or not, we're not paying much less than the price Costco is charging currently! It's a rough business, these days, and we have to bolster our profits by scrounging as many 'cores' as we can...the higher prices of LEAD affects the money we get for cores, as well.

It's hard for me to get my brain wrapped around these escalated prices...about three years ago, we were paying less that half what we're paying now!

Thanks for the info Mexray. Again, I was just curious.

Cypress - 12-16-2007 at 02:23 PM

May be buying a battery for my truck in the morning.:no:Either a battery or an alternator.:D

vgabndo - 12-16-2007 at 04:29 PM

I accept full responsibility for my actions.
I maintain integrity in my relationships.
I deal with disagreements directly.
I treat others with dignity, respect their boundries, and honor their confidences.
I hold another accountable who I judge to be out of integrity.

No therapy required. No metaphysicics required. No apology required.

It's a b-tch about the cost of lead acid batteries. Any idea what has pushed up the cost of lead? Why to my thoughts go immediately to the suspicion of collusion between this government and big business?

It's a CONSPIRACY !

MrBillM - 12-17-2007 at 10:33 AM

Of Course it is.

I continue to wonder at the inclination for certain people to suspect Conspiracies as the first explanation when no evidence of such exists.

The demand for raw materials by (principally) China and India continues to rise unabated. It is expected to accelerate with each year as their domestic economy continues to blossom.

Since Lead-Acid batteries account for 72 % of world demand for lead and China's domestic demand for personal transportation is rising at a quickening pace, we can expect that Lead, Copper and other materials will continue to rise in cost.

Added to that is the fact that few new mining resources have become available.

[Edited on 12-17-2007 by MrBillM]

Cypress - 12-17-2007 at 01:15 PM

Bought a 12 volt battery for my truck this morn in Mulege for $88. The truck now starts and I'm heading for La Purisima tomorrow. Let the good times roll!

Interstate

MrBillM - 12-17-2007 at 01:21 PM

I used the Interstate brand Golf-Cart Batts solely for many years prior to 2004 and had no complaints. No premature failures. Good price.

CaboRon - 12-17-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them? Not cheaper in Baja, they're getting $200 a pop for Trojans in San Felipe.

You can get twelve batteries wide in a full size bed up at the front, cut two peices of plywood to cover top and side, stack with your regular camping junk, bags, chairs, whatever on top, head south.

Also a good deal on batteries at Powerstride on Kurtz St. in San Diego.

Or just cover them with toys for the orphanage :lol:

CaaboRon

rts551 - 12-17-2007 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Groovy.
But what about the US Battery vs. Interstate?
OH, and who really shot JFK?:):lol:

what do you expect Mexray to say??? He already told you what he sells!

vgabndo - 12-17-2007 at 04:22 PM

Perhaps the inclination to suspect government collusion might just stem from the fact that there is so much of it going on at present. That is an argument for off topic and you won't find me there.

Another big reason for the rising cost of lead in the USA is that there is virtually no recycling of lead in this country. The old batteries are being shipped, mostly to asia, where the standards for acceptable pollution are even less enforced than here.

UH ?

MrBillM - 12-17-2007 at 06:07 PM

I would expect that the cost of lead or any other resource is determined by whatever ANYONE in the world is willing to pay for it. In this case, the demand by China and others is the largest continuing stress on material prices.

I'm unaware of any statistics showing to what extent wholesale lead prices in the U.S. are affected by reclamation strategies. Perhaps someone has references available rather than opinions.

However, the fact that we ARE sending materials abroad for recycling would seem to add rather than subtract from availability of Lead as a resource.

The rules followed by those other countries is a different question other than it would seem to LOWER overall costs.

[Edited on 12-18-2007 by MrBillM]

Soulpatch....

Mexray - 12-18-2007 at 11:28 PM

...I don't believe Interstate makes any batteries...they have several battery Mfg's make them under private brand contracts...I could be wrong about other areas of the country, don't know for sure...but...

Get this...In California, and maybe some other western states, US Battery makes 'Interstate' brand batteries! For years, we used to get most of our batteries delivered on US Battery's truck, and there would usually be several pallets aboard with Interstate batteries to be delivered to their warehouse in Santa Rosa, CA. US Battery would put their plates and separators into the cases with the Interstate markings and assemble the completed product to their specifications.

As to your question...I would say that the US and Interstate 6 volt golf cart batteries are very similar inside the case....;)