Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Costco Batteries - Price Increase
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 11:48 AM
Costco Batteries - Price Increase

Picked up another pair of Golf-Cart Deep Cycle Batteries from Costco last week.

$88.59 each (plus $5.00 if you have no exchange). A substantial increase.
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 12:25 PM
Mr Bill

How long do those batteries generally last ? Thanks Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 01:06 PM

costco in usa or mexico???

what's the amp hour on those

i need to get four 6v this week for a friend

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 01:56 PM

I saw that price for the 6volt batteries at the Costco on Morena Blvd. in San Diego. I waited too long as we are replacing ours come Feburary.

The price went up about $20 each.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 02:33 PM
Costco - USA

I neglected to note that it was a Costco North of the Border.

As BajaWarrior noted, that is approx a $20 increase from last month.

Average life cycle (for me) has been around Four years. I've always replaced them before failure, though.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 02:52 PM

I was told at Bodings in El Centro that the price of lead went up and so did the price of all their batteries. Of course the price of lead went up, China has bought all the lead to put it in the paint they use on all the toys they send the United States.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 04:35 PM

So at $88.00 in the USA then add (what?) 27 % duty at the border, that's about $112.00 in Mexico. Are they that expensive at a Mexican outlet???? Seems like it would be cheaper to get them below the border.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 05:05 PM

yes how much are they at costco in ensenada

anyone????

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 05:54 PM

I think they were $1100 pesos in Cabo last week. They were $650 a couple months ago. Hard to find Trojan T-105 for much less than $150 US. Ouch!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
So at $88.00 in the USA then add (what?) 27 % duty at the border, that's about $112.00 in Mexico. Are they that expensive at a Mexican outlet???? Seems like it would be cheaper to get them below the border.

That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them? Not cheaper in Baja, they're getting $200 a pop for Trojans in San Felipe.

You can get twelve batteries wide in a full size bed up at the front, cut two peices of plywood to cover top and side, stack with your regular camping junk, bags, chairs, whatever on top, head south.

Also a good deal on batteries at Powerstride on Kurtz St. in San Diego.

[Edited on 12-16-2007 by BajaWarrior]

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 09:35 PM
The Golf Cart Batteries...

Typically are built with 225 Amp Hour capacity. They have rugged rubber separators and will last many years if cared for properly.

1 Keep in fully charged condition - don't overcharge!
2 Make sure fluid level remains above plates.
3 Use ONLY distilled water - well water has dissolved minerals that will precipitate out onto the places, reducing capacity over time.
4 Design battery bank so you only have to use about half of the amp hour capacity between recharge 'cycles'...the bank will then last longer in useful years of service.
5.Yada, Yada, Yada....

Being in the battery business, the recent higher prices in the LEAD market are driving us crazy! Small outlets like ours, that work with a smaller inventory that's replenished often, are greatly effected by the rapid rise in LEAD prices. The Costco's of the world, working with large inventories can hold the line on their prices longer...however they eventually have to raise prices to make a profit, just like the rest of us.

The higher demand for all metals is driving these prices...I believe the Iraq and Afgan War's are to blame, as is the rapid expansion of the economies in China, India, 3rd world, et all. Those M16's and the 50 Cal machine guns use lots and lots of LEAD!

Also, the Military sized part number 6TL batteries (they are a special size, about 12 inches square) are impossible for us to buy for domestic use! ALL battery Mfg's that make this special size battery sell all they make to our Military! Those of you that have been around any Military trucks will probably remember seeing those 'square' 12 volt batteries under the hood...they us em' everywhere, in the Humvee's too.

The open market price of LEAD as a commodity rose over 30% in the month of Sept., alone! There is some recent slow down of this escalation in the past couple of weeks, so we may see some leveling out soon...I sure hope so!

Our prices for the Golf Cart batteries are around the mid-90's currently. Powerstride in SD is indeed a good source, as they are a 'cousin' in the business with us. They sell the 'US Battery' brand, Mfg in Corona, CA, among Batteries from other Mfg's. The Golf Cart battery made by US Battery are second to none!

Expect to see more battery price increases soon...Jan-Feb are months that the Mfg's usually adjust their prices again!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 03:00 AM

"That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them?"

Good question. How about : To be ethical, responsible, accountable, and one of a very small group making the effort to aim America back toward the moral high ground.

Just a thought.

You can put a hungry Mexican in the same spot in your pick up truck and take him across the border on the way back. You could probably make a few bucks on the deal too.

You'd approve of that too huh?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
"That's 17% duty at the border by the way, but why declare them?"

Good question. How about : To be ethical, responsible, accountable, and one of a very small group making the effort to aim America back toward the moral high ground.

Just a thought.

You can put a hungry Mexican in the same spot in your pick up truck and take him across the border on the way back. You could probably make a few bucks on the deal too.

You'd approve of that too huh?

It makes up for "traffic tickets".:lol:

If you've brought groceries into Mexico over the amount of $50 for yourself, you've broken "their law."

Besides, the last two times we imported goods to build our new home going through Declaration, they insisted on a cash payment in the parking lot.

I would be happy to oblige if the rules were consistent.

Back on Topic, MEXRAY, what are you getting for the equivalent of a Trojan 105 these days?

[Edited on 12-16-2007 by BajaWarrior]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 10:01 AM
Coping with Guilt

Although I have NEVER felt pangs of guilt when not declaring goods entering Mexico, I realize that there are some of the more sensitive souls among us who do.

Depending on the level of goods transported and the degree of guilt generated by same, it might be worth checking out your Insurance coverage to see what a session (or sessions for the truly Guilt-consumed) of Mental Health Therapy would cost.

It could be that therapy to cure your unreasoned guilt would be cheaper than paying all of that duty you feel obliged to.

Worth a try.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 01:11 PM

Well I just got back from my Ethical Therapy Session

US...too many rules

Mexico...less rules

Me like um Mexico better

Me no um pay 17%

Me feel good um
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 02:14 PM
BajaWarrior....

225 amp, 6 volt deep cycle 'golf cart' type batteries, about $96 currently. Just like the Trojan brand...the same guts inside the case, only they are not 'maroon' in color...ours are made by US Battery or Ramcar, both located in So-Cal area.

And believe it or not, we're not paying much less than the price Costco is charging currently! It's a rough business, these days, and we have to bolster our profits by scrounging as many 'cores' as we can...the higher prices of LEAD affects the money we get for cores, as well.

It's hard for me to get my brain wrapped around these escalated prices...about three years ago, we were paying less that half what we're paying now!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
225 amp, 6 volt deep cycle 'golf cart' type batteries, about $96 currently. Just like the Trojan brand...the same guts inside the case, only they are not 'maroon' in color...ours are made by US Battery or Ramcar, both located in So-Cal area.

And believe it or not, we're not paying much less than the price Costco is charging currently! It's a rough business, these days, and we have to bolster our profits by scrounging as many 'cores' as we can...the higher prices of LEAD affects the money we get for cores, as well.

It's hard for me to get my brain wrapped around these escalated prices...about three years ago, we were paying less that half what we're paying now!

Thanks for the info Mexray. Again, I was just curious.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 02:23 PM

May be buying a battery for my truck in the morning.:no:Either a battery or an alternator.:D
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 04:29 PM

I accept full responsibility for my actions.
I maintain integrity in my relationships.
I deal with disagreements directly.
I treat others with dignity, respect their boundries, and honor their confidences.
I hold another accountable who I judge to be out of integrity.

No therapy required. No metaphysicics required. No apology required.

It's a b-tch about the cost of lead acid batteries. Any idea what has pushed up the cost of lead? Why to my thoughts go immediately to the suspicion of collusion between this government and big business?

Bill Kauth

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2007 at 10:33 AM
It's a CONSPIRACY !

Of Course it is.

I continue to wonder at the inclination for certain people to suspect Conspiracies as the first explanation when no evidence of such exists.

The demand for raw materials by (principally) China and India continues to rise unabated. It is expected to accelerate with each year as their domestic economy continues to blossom.

Since Lead-Acid batteries account for 72 % of world demand for lead and China's domestic demand for personal transportation is rising at a quickening pace, we can expect that Lead, Copper and other materials will continue to rise in cost.

Added to that is the fact that few new mining resources have become available.

[Edited on 12-17-2007 by MrBillM]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.