BajaNomad

Trip to see Mama Espinoza after 40 years

rts551 - 12-19-2007 at 03:10 PM

What a wonderful chapter in your story... A bright light in our lives

Crusoe - 12-19-2007 at 03:21 PM

Elinvesti8.....Thank You so much for sharing this incredible story......It is truly remarkable!!! By far, the best X-mas story of this season!!! Just goes to show us "what goes around comes around"..... Best to you in 08.... ++C++:O

livencabo - 12-19-2007 at 03:27 PM

I had lost touch when my stepfathers plane crashed in El Rosario in 1964. Then I was able to meet her again when I made trips between BCS and San Diego. I am so happy to know that she continues her work there. If you can get any of the books that tell her life story you will understand why so many people consider her a saint.
Anyone driving through should definitely honor her with contributions for the children. We used to bring toothbrushes and toothpaste and dentists.

islandmusicteach - 12-19-2007 at 03:42 PM

Investi8 you had me crying like a baby with that story. Hopefully I haven't shorted out my laptop!

Hook - 12-19-2007 at 04:01 PM

Bravo! Wonderful story.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

David K - 12-19-2007 at 06:29 PM

Thanks you so very much for a most wonderful, information filled report!

Plans are already being made for the next Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival (#4)... and the Espinoza family is part of the El Rosario cultural experience!

If it is still on the overhead beam in the restaurant, Roli asked me to autograph one of my Viva Baja stickers to Mama...

Again, muchas gracias for the report and photos you have shared here! Hope to see you in El Rosario next July for the big festival!

Paulina - 12-19-2007 at 08:27 PM

What a wonderful story. I'm so glad that it turned out as well as you had hoped, if not a little bit more. As I read your report I was teary and had that lumpy throat too!

Thank you so very much for sharing your reunion.
P<*)))><

debindesert - 12-19-2007 at 08:43 PM

Could hardly wait for the rest of the story. Now, I am very honored to read your words of bittersweet happiness. Thank you for sharing.

Again, I wait for more.

Neal Johns - 12-19-2007 at 09:10 PM

This story is doubtlessly the best one I have seen on this board.

I have met Mama a couple of times and know her history of course, but this story tells more than a few minutes meeting could ever do, what great people you both are.

Thank you for sharing.

vgabndo - 12-19-2007 at 09:22 PM

SWEET!

BAJACAT - 12-20-2007 at 09:39 AM

Ha David you still keep amazing me with your life stories,Im happy for you to be able to re-trace your steeps.
While visiting my uncle in La Gloria(Tijuas).I remember when I grew up running around the hills.It always makes me feel greatfull to what I have and what I have achive .witch is not much:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 12-20-2007 at 10:58 AM

A photo in this article shows Mama Espinoza seated with the other El Rosario elders at the opening ceremony for the first Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival (2005)

http://www.ensenadagazette.com/rosfest05review.html

Mexitron - 12-20-2007 at 11:26 AM

Awesome!

duke62 - 12-20-2007 at 03:53 PM

Thanks so much for the beautiful story and pictures of your reunion.

Slowmad - 12-20-2007 at 04:15 PM

Cool vignette.
I'd love to hear more of your early experiences with Mama.

Sharksbaja - 12-21-2007 at 12:37 PM

Very nice David. It's obvious to me that the folks who helped you so much as a young man had much influence on the person you are today. Good on you for piecingit back together. You have a good soul. Merry Xmas.

David K - 12-22-2007 at 03:31 PM

Superb! Thanks David!

I met 'Sany' (Sonny) and family at San Juan de Dios in 2000... He was grading the road to Rancho El Metate, and they were camping under the palms of San Juan de Dios... He invited us to camp there too, and was kind enough to show me the 'hidden' ruins of San Juan de Dios, the Dominican mission visita of Mision San Fernando Velicata.

The adobe ruins were just a few feet from the road to El Metate, but hidden by brush... If not for 'Sonny Espinoza', I would never have found them, I fear! I hope to return to see if the recent report from John M and Neal Johns is true, and the ruins were destroyed by a tractor's plow.

Photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/davidlorenzo/dlpage5.html

[Edited on 12-22-2007 by David K]

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-22-2007 at 05:04 PM

David, Thanks for adding the picture of the old ruins. And about Sany, he has always been a good soul. The kind of man that would give you the shirt off his own back if you needed it. David would you happen to have the GPS coordinates of Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios. I marked the spot with my Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS for later but for some reason will not display actual coordinates. Thanks Brother.

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

debindesert - 12-22-2007 at 06:28 PM

Bravo! I can just see those soldiers change their posture after that first verse of Mexico Lindo. You put the icing on the cake.

--Deb;D

David K - 12-22-2007 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
David, Thanks for adding the picture of the old ruins. And about Sany, he has always been a good soul. The kind of man that would give you the shirt off his own back if you needed it. David would you happen to have the GPS coordinates of Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios. I marked the spot with my Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS for later but for some reason will not display actual coordinates. Thanks Brother.

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Yes, a good Baja ranchero!

Just have the GPS of the visita and some adobe ruins a mile away, near the arroyo... I will check all of my waypoints or print a map with the waypoints on it along the road from Hwy. 1.

Barbareno - 1-13-2008 at 07:38 AM

Wonderful story ELINVEST. I was looking forward to hearing about your trip.

I was looking out for you while Tim and I traveled down. But my head kept veering off to see all the wonderful sights. Could not get over how green every thing was.

Have you given it any more thought about having your story published?

Barb

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-13-2008 at 08:04 AM

Hi Barb, I read Tim's Trip Report. Sounds like you guys had a blast down there. I am so happy you guys had so much fun. I saw Sheri's report where Tim won the Yellowtail competition. Even saw your picture holding the tail end. Hahahaha. Anyway I ended up leaving El Rosario about 12 noon. I looked for you guys too on my way back. I am sure we saw each other but did not recognize each other. It was a beautiful drive both going down and heading back because of the green countryside. Well I don't know Barb about the book thingy yet. There is so much I have to remember. Anyway, I am glad you guys are back safe and sound. Take care. David

bajabird - 1-15-2008 at 11:11 AM

David,
Wonderful story! Not much more to say.

Nice to know you.

Tom

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-15-2008 at 12:01 PM

Thank you Bajabird. You are the best. Here is what I wrote when you helped me out. It was from the heart.

David

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26312&pag...

bajabird - 1-15-2008 at 12:24 PM

any time my freind
thanks only to you.

shari - 1-17-2008 at 08:32 AM

muchas gracias David for sharing your story...simply fabulous. I hope to hear you sing and play someday too.

David K - 1-17-2008 at 08:46 AM

David, here is a photo of Rancho El Metate taken in 1953 by Howard Gulick:

Here is El Rosario in 1956, in front of what we call Baja Cactus, today... Standard Oil (before Pemex) gas pump just up the road from Espinoza's:

Here is Espinoza's Place in 1960 (note the Union gas sign, pre-Pemex years):

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-18-2008 at 05:31 AM

David K. Thank you so much for putting up these photographs. I am going to save them on my computer with my other pictures. Thanks for going the extra mile.
David M.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-18-2008 at 05:39 AM

Thank you Shari. If you really want to see me sing well at least my attempt at singing :lol: Go to Youtube and put in elinvesti8 in the search box. I really can't sing or play the guitar well but I try hard. :lol:

David K - 1-18-2008 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
David K. Thank you so much for putting up these photographs. I am going to save them on my computer with my other pictures. Thanks for going the extra mile.
David M.

De nada, amigo...

By-the-way, those photos and a LOT more are on a link in my web site: Howard Gulick's Baja photo collection from the 1950's and 60's

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-18-2008 at 10:31 AM

Dang David K., Lots and Lots to see there. Thank you so much.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-18-2008 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
David, here is a photo of Rancho El Metate taken in 1953 by Howard Gulick:

David here is the 1953 photo with the 2007 photo for comparison. I did not realize it until now that the house I helped build was right over the site of the main house.