Author: Subject: Trip to see Mama Espinoza after 40 years
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:10 PM

What a wonderful chapter in your story... A bright light in our lives
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:21 PM

Elinvesti8.....Thank You so much for sharing this incredible story......It is truly remarkable!!! By far, the best X-mas story of this season!!! Just goes to show us "what goes around comes around"..... Best to you in 08.... ++C++:O
livencabo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:27 PM

I had lost touch when my stepfathers plane crashed in El Rosario in 1964. Then I was able to meet her again when I made trips between BCS and San Diego. I am so happy to know that she continues her work there. If you can get any of the books that tell her life story you will understand why so many people consider her a saint.
Anyone driving through should definitely honor her with contributions for the children. We used to bring toothbrushes and toothpaste and dentists.
islandmusicteach
Junior Nomad

Mood: almost in baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:42 PM

Investi8 you had me crying like a baby with that story. Hopefully I haven't shorted out my laptop!

- Marko
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:01 PM

Bravo! Wonderful story.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:29 PM

Thanks you so very much for a most wonderful, information filled report!

Plans are already being made for the next Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival (#4)... and the Espinoza family is part of the El Rosario cultural experience!

If it is still on the overhead beam in the restaurant, Roli asked me to autograph one of my Viva Baja stickers to Mama...

Again, muchas gracias for the report and photos you have shared here! Hope to see you in El Rosario next July for the big festival!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 08:27 PM

What a wonderful story. I'm so glad that it turned out as well as you had hoped, if not a little bit more. As I read your report I was teary and had that lumpy throat too!

Thank you so very much for sharing your reunion.
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 08:43 PM

Could hardly wait for the rest of the story. Now, I am very honored to read your words of bittersweet happiness. Thank you for sharing.

Again, I wait for more.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:10 PM

This story is doubtlessly the best one I have seen on this board.

I have met Mama a couple of times and know her history of course, but this story tells more than a few minutes meeting could ever do, what great people you both are.

Thank you for sharing.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:22 PM

SWEET!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 09:39 AM

Ha David you still keep amazing me with your life stories,Im happy for you to be able to re-trace your steeps.
While visiting my uncle in La Gloria(Tijuas).I remember when I grew up running around the hills.It always makes me feel greatfull to what I have and what I have achive .witch is not much:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 10:58 AM

A photo in this article shows Mama Espinoza seated with the other El Rosario elders at the opening ceremony for the first Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival (2005)

http://www.ensenadagazette.com/rosfest05review.html

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 11:26 AM

Awesome!
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:53 PM

Thanks so much for the beautiful story and pictures of your reunion.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 04:15 PM

Cool vignette.
I'd love to hear more of your early experiences with Mama.

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 12:37 PM

Very nice David. It's obvious to me that the folks who helped you so much as a young man had much influence on the person you are today. Good on you for piecingit back together. You have a good soul. Merry Xmas.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 03:31 PM

Superb! Thanks David!

I met 'Sany' (Sonny) and family at San Juan de Dios in 2000... He was grading the road to Rancho El Metate, and they were camping under the palms of San Juan de Dios... He invited us to camp there too, and was kind enough to show me the 'hidden' ruins of San Juan de Dios, the Dominican mission visita of Mision San Fernando Velicata.

The adobe ruins were just a few feet from the road to El Metate, but hidden by brush... If not for 'Sonny Espinoza', I would never have found them, I fear! I hope to return to see if the recent report from John M and Neal Johns is true, and the ruins were destroyed by a tractor's plow.

Photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/davidlorenzo/dlpage5.html

[Edited on 12-22-2007 by David K]

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 05:04 PM

David, Thanks for adding the picture of the old ruins. And about Sany, he has always been a good soul. The kind of man that would give you the shirt off his own back if you needed it. David would you happen to have the GPS coordinates of Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios. I marked the spot with my Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS for later but for some reason will not display actual coordinates. Thanks Brother.

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 06:28 PM

Bravo! I can just see those soldiers change their posture after that first verse of Mexico Lindo. You put the icing on the cake.

--Deb;D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
David, Thanks for adding the picture of the old ruins. And about Sany, he has always been a good soul. The kind of man that would give you the shirt off his own back if you needed it. David would you happen to have the GPS coordinates of Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios. I marked the spot with my Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS for later but for some reason will not display actual coordinates. Thanks Brother.

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Yes, a good Baja ranchero!

Just have the GPS of the visita and some adobe ruins a mile away, near the arroyo... I will check all of my waypoints or print a map with the waypoints on it along the road from Hwy. 1.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.