BajaNomad

Need Nomad Opinion on Mexico Expo

MexicoTed - 1-4-2008 at 01:12 AM

Hey gang,

We will be presenting the 3rd annual Mexico Tourism, Travel & Real Estate Expo on March 1st in San Diego, but I need your opinion on the event. I know we had 20+ nomads at the event so please answer the questions if possible.

1) Last year it was held at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, but parking was $9 (I know it's a ripoff). Great facility though. The year before we were at the Scottish Rite Center, an older facility, but parking was free. What venue would you prefer?

2) We will have eight 25-minute presentations this year. Some of real estate, some on tourism, one on tequila! What type of presentation would you like to listen to..... environment, an author (maybe Graham), destination, etc.

I'd appreciate any information you can give me and for those of you who attended last year's event, give me your thoughts both positive and negative so we can make the event better this year.....We are also considering another show in Orange County this year.

Thanks,
Ted

CaboRon - 1-4-2008 at 09:27 AM

Free Parking .................Preferred

David K - 1-4-2008 at 10:26 AM

Hi Ted,

Thanks for asking...

Baja Angel and I enjoyed both of your past Expos and either location will be attended by us. Del Mar happens to be a closer to me than Mission Valley, but whatever works.

$9 for parking a car with as many Nomads can fit inside? Big deal... you gave us FREE admission. $9 wouldn't keep us away (movie tickets are $10 pp now, and no guarantee you will see anything good!

Inside the Mexico Expo were many interesting presentations, book authors, and fellow Nomads!

I hope Graham is back from England (assisting an ill family member) in time for the event and maybe to showcase his NEW book!?

SEE PHOTOS from last year's Mexico Expo: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22893

Here's one from that post, last year:

Mexico Ted and Baja Angel:

[Edited on 1-4-2008 by David K]

MexicoExpo 07 027r.JPG - 36kB

SDRonni - 1-4-2008 at 10:34 AM

Mission Valley is closer to us, so would be preferable.

David K - 1-4-2008 at 06:43 PM

Hey guys, Ted would like some input here!

Last year's Mexico Expo: Baja Nomad, David K, Graham Mackintosh

MexicoExpo 07 033r.JPG - 44kB

David K - 1-4-2008 at 06:44 PM

Last Year: Hugh and Carol Kramer of Discover Baja Travel Club

MexicoExpo 07 015r.JPG - 40kB

Bajafun777 - 1-5-2008 at 01:18 AM

Ted, my wife and I attended in Del Mar and enjoyed ourselves and listened to the presenters too. I drove from Brawley so the $9 dollars for parking was really not an issue and then we even went to Home and Garden show in the other building afterwards. I hope that Doug will be there with his Baja Nomad T-Shirts (hope in the XXL size) and other things he sells also. You had some great vendors last year with good information. Looking forward to attending again, just a great job done by you guys last year:yes:. Later------- bajafun777

Phil C - 1-5-2008 at 06:11 AM

Ted, either way is good for us. The parking deal isn't a big thing, cost that much in gas for us to get to mission valley. Travel based presentations would be my preferance versus real estate. It's good to see the outfiters and accomadation booths. I look forward to it. Phil

capt. mike - 1-5-2008 at 06:16 AM

have more stuff on real estate and owning/buying etc in mexico.

if you'd like someone expert on title ins and lending i can dial you in.

4baja - 1-5-2008 at 07:39 AM

how about bringing in mexican officials who are actually doing something about the increased crime rate on americans in the baja. without curbing the trend it really doesnt matter about talks on real estate down ther because nobody will be buying anyway. i know ive cut the amount of trips and the amount of money i spend down there and i know alot of other people are doing the same. tequila and beer are cheaper in the states.

SDRonni - 1-5-2008 at 10:54 AM

I like 4baja's idea, too...

cajhawk - 1-5-2008 at 04:18 PM

How do we get information about participating in the Expo?

jeans - 1-5-2008 at 04:34 PM

I almost never pay for parking at Del Mar. If it's a nice day and I'm not in a hurry I'll park on Via De la Valle near the Solana gate and walk in. Maybe a 7-8 minute walk. Many times there is a tram carting people to the back gate.

Who here does not need more exersize? :lol::lol::lol:

Bajafun777 - 1-6-2008 at 05:40 PM

Ok Jeans, we get exersize every time we visit a cantina in Mexico because the bathrooms are always a walk from the bar and back!!!!! ;):cool:

awfulart - 1-6-2008 at 06:14 PM

Fairgrounds or Scottish Rite, either ok but I prefer Scottish Rite as the parking is close and there is not always close parking at the Fairgrounds, depending on what else is going on at the time. Reason being, Alice has a bad knee and walking too far is a problem.

Went last year and will attend again this year

wilderone - 1-7-2008 at 09:47 AM

An entrance fee and parking fee and driving over 10 miles or so to get there will deter me.
How about tables for ProPeninsula, Surf Rider Foundation and Serge Dedina and his book Serge Dedina's book Saving the Gray Whale: People, Politics and Conservation in Baja California; other Baja authors and their books. A turtle research tables - there are efforts to preserve turtles all over Mexico. "Mexico" tourism and travel? All of Mexico? Have a map, book seller; invite Adalberto Mellon of Ensenada who owns a shop in the artists complex and sells Mata Ortiz pottery; Baja winery representatives? Have discount coupons from major hotel chains. San Felipe squid fishing.

capt. mike - 1-7-2008 at 11:44 AM

"An entrance fee and parking fee"........ "will deter me".:wow:

how are they (promoters) expected to pay for this expo??:o
Relying solely on exibitors will not do it - they'd have to charge so much few would sign up.

how about just making it free for all!! yes, that's the ticket - maybe gov't should do it..........:lol::lol: they should pay/provide for everything else after all.:light:

and 10 miles??!! you gotta be kidding me W.
if that's your radius for info and partaking in something you seem to have an interest in - your world must be fairly restricted??

but i do like the exhibitors you suggest. If they came, would you pay and drive the 10 plus miles??:smug:

David K - 1-7-2008 at 12:04 PM

Wilderone, there were map and book sellers there last year (Discover Baja was there and Sunbelt was represented by Graham... plus Graham's 3 books.

The coffee table book 'Baja, Mexico' was sold there by its author as well...

Mike, and wilderone, the even was FREE entrance to Nomads...

wilderone - 1-7-2008 at 12:40 PM

"your world must be fairly restricted?? "
hardly - my world is not limited by travel expos
I probably won't go even if it is 6 miles from my house with free parking and free entrance. I've already have been to the book shows - probably own the books - not interested in buying real estate - already know the "SECRET" spots which will not be the focus of such an event. I've got enough material for my own expo.
I don't care how they make money - it's advertising - and that costs money.

awfulart - 1-7-2008 at 01:32 PM

I like the idea of having more information on turtles, whales, birding, ecology. Not just books, but people to present talks. Don't get me wrong - books are very important and I have many. Real people allow dialog. Perhaps authors can give talks? Really enjoyed last year and looking forward to this year. Hope Baja Cactus will be there.

Kell-Baja - 1-7-2008 at 01:49 PM

I vote for Scottish Rite Center. Also, when we will get more info on adding an exhibit?

works for me

capt. mike - 1-7-2008 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"your world must be fairly restricted?? "
hardly - my world is not limited by travel expos
I probably won't go even if it is 6 miles from my house with free parking and free entrance. I've already have been to the book shows - probably own the books - not interested in buying real estate - already know the "SECRET" spots which will not be the focus of such an event. I've got enough material for my own expo.
I don't care how they make money - it's advertising - and that costs money.

your points are valid.

where are the secret spots??:biggrin:

wilderone - 1-7-2008 at 03:43 PM

Well now, if I told you, they wouldn't be secret anymore, would they.

MexicoTed - 1-7-2008 at 10:20 PM

Wow, what a great response. Thanks to everyone for all views and suggestions. Let me fill you in on a couple things.

The goal of the Mexico Expo is to promote all Mexico has to offer including tourism, culture and real estate. Ideally, I would like to have tourism be the main focus, but the real estate companies pay the bill right now. This is only our 3rd year.

In the future we expect representatives from most destinations in Baja and the rest of Mexico. I envision 120-150 exhibitors. As of now, we will probably have 60-70 exhibitors. One of our sponsors this year will be AeroMexico which will donate two roundtrip airline tickets to Mexico as a grand prize in the attendees giveaways. We'll have other prizes too.

A couple of answers to your questions/suggestions:

-All Nomads will get in free whether there is an admission fee or not.

-In past expos, as David K mentioned, we have had Discover Baja, Pro Peninsula, Baja Cactus, Wildcoast, Galeria Perez Mellion, Ignacio Springs, Pyramid Resort and others exhibit and they all have an open invitation to exhibit again. In fact I discount their booths because I think it's important to have them there.

-We'll have eight speakers this year and some of those go to the real estate sponsors. I am also close to possibly having the Baja California Secretary of Tourism speak about Baja including the recent crime wave. If not his second in command. These are interactive and you can ask questions direct to the source.

-I am also hoping Graham Mackintosh will be back so he can speak and if not, we will have another author fill one of the spots.

-If we do Del Mar Farigrounds (which is more likely), the parking suggestion Jeans made is a good one. I saw others parked there and the tram was going back and forth at times. If no tram, it's an easy walk in. Also, the Home and Garden is the same day so you could kill two birds with one stone if you wanted to go there too.

-I've sent a U2U to Doug with some suggestions and I hope he will have his shirts, etc. there. Also, Doug thanks for letting me "poll" everyone.

-If you go to http://www.mexicotravelandrealestate.com you can see who will be exhibiting so far. If they have a link they have paid for their spot, if not we are waiting for payment.

I hope this answers questions for you and any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks,
Ted

David K - 1-8-2008 at 10:16 AM

Thank you Ted, see you March 1st I hope!

Booth at the Mexico Expo

David K - 1-8-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kell-Baja
I vote for Scottish Rite Center. Also, when we will get more info on adding an exhibit?

Click here: http://www.mexicotravelandrealestate.com and see the link to click in the text...

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by David K]

CaboRon - 1-8-2008 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Well now, if I told you, they wouldn't be secret anymore, would they.

:lol::lol::bounce::lol::bounce::lol::lol::lol:

gringorio - 1-9-2008 at 06:32 PM

I agree with awfulart - Just wish I could be there!

Quote:
Originally posted by awfulart
I like the idea of having more information on turtles, whales, birding, ecology. Not just books, but people to present talks. Don't get me wrong - books are very important and I have many. Real people allow dialog. Perhaps authors can give talks? Really enjoyed last year and looking forward to this year. Hope Baja Cactus will be there.

capt. mike - 1-10-2008 at 06:27 AM

i say get loreto bay to come speak, they have staff in Scottsdale Az so they are close. maybe they can sell a few bungalows while they're there?