BajaNomad

A Family Affair

Diver - 3-12-2008 at 05:51 AM

Being that I'm not sure if these rooster fights are legal or not, I won't tell you where this one occurred. What struck me was how much of a family affair the event was. Kids, moms, dads and some serious competitors.

For those of you that have never been, they tie a small sharp steel hook onto one leg of each competitor. Then they introduce the combatents to get them riled. Last is to release the roosters head to head and let them go at it. Some fights lasted only a few seconds, others went until they were too tired to go on. No one mourned the losers; they went into a pile in the shrubs.

2.jpg - 48kB

Diver - 3-12-2008 at 05:52 AM

3.jpg - 46kB

Diver - 3-12-2008 at 05:54 AM

Another

4.jpg - 40kB

Diver - 3-12-2008 at 05:55 AM

Last,

5.jpg - 40kB

Natalie Ann - 3-12-2008 at 07:17 AM

Interesting report, Diver. Kinda made my tummi clench up a bit, but interesting nonetheless. I especially like your first picture - that gentleman looks to be strutting his stuff good as any rooster might hope to.;D:biggrin:

Nena

Interesting report

BMG - 3-12-2008 at 07:49 AM

I imagine you'll get some varied opinions on the topic.

Don't know what the legal status is in Mexico but they used to have an arena here in La Paz that we were told was for c-ckfighting.

c-ckfighting_arena_01_Jan_24,2007.jpg - 38kB

jorgie - 3-12-2008 at 07:58 AM

the location is easy...........the can of Tecate tells .......

TonyC - 3-12-2008 at 08:37 AM

Legal.

http://www.surf-mexico.com/culture/c-ckfights.html

bajamigo - 3-12-2008 at 08:47 AM

Disgusting.

vandenberg - 3-12-2008 at 08:52 AM

Basically not much different from Dogfighting.:no:

Paulina - 3-12-2008 at 08:52 AM

A cultural experience none the less.

P<*)))><

DENNIS - 3-12-2008 at 08:54 AM

Until recently, they had them downtown Ensenada during carnival.
Disgusting is the word. From a moral point of view, what's the difference between a chicken and a dog?

bajamigo - 3-12-2008 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
A cultural experience none the less.

P<*)))><

Guess I'm missing the point. How is this a "cultural experience" (honest question)?
:?:

shari - 3-12-2008 at 09:03 AM

It is fascinating how this activity is so popular with the families particularly the kids who now have their own roosters...it does teach them how to raise and care for animals as they feed them, clean the cages etc. and also they learn sportsmanship...I know it sounds weird and personally I think it's gross, but who am I to judge them....it is a fun weekend event that they love....people always ask what do people do here...there is always something going on...church events, family gatherings, c-ck fights, horse races, car rallies, lots of sporting events too.

Paulina - 3-12-2008 at 09:25 AM

First of all let me state that I am not condoning the sport. It is animal cruelty.

To answer your question;

c-ckfighting is a tradition, a part of the Mexican culture. In Mexico c-ckfighting is as popular as baseball and football is in the U.S.

Is it a cultural experience? I believe that Diver got a glimpse of local tradition, customs and rituals by attending. That to me would qualify as a cultural experience.

P<*)))><

Diver - 3-12-2008 at 09:36 AM

I felt the same of the "cultural tradition".
I had never been before and just wanted to see it for myself.
Similar to BBQ parties and softball games in the US, this sport is a mexican tradition. Signs are posted and a faction of the whole town gets excited.

There is no violence or evil intended by any of these kind folks. Just a gathering of friends and family for sport and entertainment.

Al G - 3-12-2008 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day so people like you could eat them...Don't recall butchering many dogs for you.
People are strange...OK to wring their necks, but kill them any other way and you are a deprived monster:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

beachbum1A - 3-12-2008 at 10:06 AM

Last year on one of my fishing trips to Mulege we stopped in one evening to see a cousin of my fishing buddy who lives there. Interestingly enough, his hobby is raising roosters and engaging them in c-ck fights about once a month. We were outside walking around, looking at the cages and birds and I asked several questions through my friend (as I can't speak Spanish-yet).
Anyway, this man thought I was REALLY interested in c-ck fighting and later on while inside their home he went outside and returned with one of his roosters, with the intention of giving it to me as a gift to take bace to Ensenada with me.

It was a cultural experience for me, as it made me aware of how a "normal, middle class" Mexican family came together in a family unit to participate in these events about once a month.
Also surprised me that he would part with one of his roosters as a gesture of friendship with this gringo that he has only met a few times before.
I did come away with a local calendar with a picture of "El Giro", (his champion rooster) on it.

Sometimes you just have to keep a open mind to let it all soak in- you know?

tripledigitken - 3-12-2008 at 10:14 AM

Has anyone else noticed the large estate home on the east side of the toll road, I believe north of La Joya? (Before you get to the La Costa restaurant.)

Large lawn with a couple of dozen little Tee Pee structures for their fighting c-cks. First time I realized what it was it came as quite a surprize. :O:O:O

Ken

[Edited on 3-12-2008 by tripledigitken]

osoflojo - 3-12-2008 at 10:56 AM

Like the idea or not, "The Palenque" is and used to be a major event in some areas. Years ago in Cabo there would be a carnival(complete with rides and games), a bazaar for shopping and the palenque featured big time entertainment such as Alejandro Fernandez and Lola Beltran. It was an event for the whole family and was not to be missed.

DanO - 3-12-2008 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Has anyone else noticed the large estate home on the east side of the toll road, I believe north of La Joya? (Before you get to the La Costa restaurant.)

Large lawn with a couple of dozen little Tee Pee structures for their fighting c-cks. First time I realized what it was it came as quite a surprize. :O:O:O

Ken

[Edited on 3-12-2008 by tripledigitken]

Aaaahhhhh, I've been wondering for years what that place was.

As to the issue of cultural events based on killing animals, anyone ever been to a bull fight?

Paulina - 3-12-2008 at 11:21 AM

To answer DanO's question; No.

vandenberg - 3-12-2008 at 11:42 AM

I've been to one bullfight in Mazatlan. Quite a spectacle. Don't think much of the killing of the bull, like the Portugese way of fighting better, where they leave the bull alive.
Once did see a bullfight on horseback ( has a special name, which escapes me ) and there was one little black feisty bull, which gored a horse and could not be controlled by anyone.
After a lot of tries they finally gave up (cowards) and managed to lead the animal out of the arena, to the delight of the crowd, whom for minutes applauded the bull and sneered at the picadores.(?)

vandenberg - 3-12-2008 at 11:46 AM

Quote:

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day

So that's what happened to you.:?::?::no:

DENNIS - 3-12-2008 at 11:53 AM

There's a huge difference between killing for food and killing for fun.
As far as being a cultural event, human sacrifice used to be a cultural event.

TonyC - 3-12-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

There is no violence or evil intended by any of these kind folks. Just a gathering of friends and family for sport and entertainment.

Hard to understand this, but we have human sports with violence, and blood....for entertaiment. Never been to a c-ckfight, but like Diver I would would go. It's their culture, and our choice to not experience if this is something your not ok with.

Pompano - 3-12-2008 at 12:31 PM

This reminds me of a story about this tourist who entered a restaurant in Seville during the April bullfighting fair. There he noticed the waiter serving up a delicious-looking plate. Curious he asked the waiter what the plate was.

"Bull's testicles," the waiter replied.

The tourist was intrigued, and so he ordered a plate. To which the waiter informed him: "I'm so sorry, but that was our last plate for the day. But if you would like, we can reserve you a plate for tomorrow."

To which the tourist agreed.

The next day the tourist went back to the restaurant. He hadn't eaten anything all day, and he was starved. He sat down to the table and awaited his plate. The waiter arrived and lifted off the lid covering the plate.

And our tourist friend was disappointed. This looked nothing like the plate he'd seen the day before. So he called the waiter over and complained about the incredibly small serving.

To which the waiter replied: "I am so sorry, seņor, but you see, today the bull won."

Skipjack Joe - 3-12-2008 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day so people like you could eat them...Don't recall butchering many dogs for you.

You may not but others have.

In the past people from Japan looked down at their Korean neighbors, referring to them as "dog-eaters".

Pompano - 3-12-2008 at 01:57 PM

Not uncommon to eat dog at all. Cultures world-wide have eaten dog for centuries. Aztecs, American Natives, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, etc. They are/were considered 'livestock' like cattle and pigs. Today's Koreans still eat dog, but not a large percentage of the population. Referred to as '4-season stew.'

What was this thread about again?

dtbushpilot - 3-12-2008 at 02:07 PM

I agree with Tony C.
We recently bought a place in Buena Vista and one day noticed that they were setting up an arena at the public beach access area. I was told that it was for a c-ck fight. Being from New Mexico and the last state to outlaw c-ck fighting (along with Louisiana and only because our governor was running for President) I was farmiliar with all of the pros and cons even though I had never been to one or had ever been interested in going.

I wanted to embrace the local custom, being a new resident so I went. I, too found it to be a big family affair that had a friendly, carnival atmosphere. Nothing like the seedy reputation that some would imagine and while I didn't get any satisfaction out of seeing roosters killing each other I did enjoy feeling welcome and part of the celebration. It was Saturday night and I was the only gringo that I saw although there were some there earlier in the day.

I'm not sure if I would go again but maybe. No one forced me to go the first time....dt